GM @ NYIAS '08: Pontiac G8 GXP

Link

Mods, let this be a placeholder until they come up with more pictures.

In the meantime, now all of you can stop kvetching about there not being a manual and start wondering if that HP rating is understated. :P

Edited by Lamar

Whoa nice! Corvette V-8? Roll your own gears? Now we're talking!

... and still the 6A for those of us who never had any opportunity whatsoever to learn how to row our own boats 8 1/2 years ago. 8)

Edited by Lamar

This almost makes me want to sell my GTO and get a G8 GXP... almost. Sell the Coupe 60, and almost, would turn into definately.

Though, why only 402hp? The 6.0L in my GTO makes 400. Hopefully final numbers are edged up to 415-420 range.

I hope you do realize that the improvements of the LS3 over the LS2 make it a better performer, and adding a few more hp is just weener waggling.

I hope you do realize that the improvements of the LS3 over the LS2 make it a better performer, and adding a few more hp is just weener waggling.

They should have done at least 425hp to be comparable with the Charger SRT8, though.

Jeremy Clarkson drove the 414 hp Vauxhall VXR version of this car, and thought it was fun to drive because of the massive power and ability to do power slides. Although he thought the exterior was kind of boring and the interior was as well, and too much cheap gray to it. And it wasn't as good as a 5-series.

If Pontaic/Holden/Vauxhall say Zeta is supposed to compete with the 5-series, and is just as good at performance/handling. Then aren't they saying the the G8/VXR/Commodore are better than the CTS?

Plus the G8 is 196+ inches long, it is very close in overall and wheelbase length to the STS or just 1-2 inches shorter than a 7-series or Lexus LS. Which is on the big side for a car that is aimed at performance.

Edited by smk4565

i thought this car was not getting the shifter plagued tremec? is or has it been improved?

never mind, it says they shortened the throws and improved the action.

This is the Tremec TR-6060. Wikipedia lists the applications as:

• 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 (remote mount shifter with dual braces and single linkage)
  • 2008 Chevrolet Corvette
  • 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10
  • 2008 Dodge Challenger
  • 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
  • 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
  • 2008 Ford Falcon FG Range
This could get interesting!

I say bring Holden's entire line up here - and rebadge them as Pontiacs. Wait a second.... :scratchchin:

:lol:

And hows that gonna work with 1/2 of Holdens lineup being Opels=Saturn ;)

You seemed shocked yesterday to see me outside of C&G! What's up with that? :smilewide:

It's kind of like being at a bar, and then running into a coworker from the office that you don't see that much outside of work. :lol:

Edited by gmcbob

lots of mags have had the gt running faster than a srt-8 so the gxp will smoke those srts.

Here's what I found for C&D.....they ran actual numbers on the G8 just in their recent 4-08 issue......I scrounged out the 9-05 issue (Magnum SRT8) and the 6-05 issue (300C SRT8) for comparison purposes.....same magazine, same testing procedures.....(I couldn't find a recent test of the Charger SRT-8 in C&D)

G8 GT (4,100lbs)

0-60 - 5.3

0-100 - 12.7

1/4 mile - 13.8 @ 104mph

C/D Observed - 16mpg

300C SRT-8 (4,212lbs)

0-60 - 4.7

0-100 - 11.2

1/4 mile - 13.2 @ 109mph

C/D Observed - 14mpg

Magnum SRT-8 (4,379lbs)

0-60 - 5.1

0-100 - 12.1

1/4 mile - 13.6 @ 106mph

C/D Observed - N/A

I think it's fair to assume that the G8 GT is not quite running with the SRT-8s......as you can see, even the heavier (by about 165lbs over 300C) Magnum stays ahead of the G8 GT.

BUT....G8 does seem to be staying ahead of the mainstream Hemi LXs......it's somewhere in between.

The GXP ought to bring it in line with the SRT-8s.....maybe a bit faster with the manual tranny.....

But to me, I'd rather have seen the 430hp rating as the Corvette.....if for nothing else but bragging rights over ChryCo......and give us the trick exhaust option from the Corvette.....if for nothing else than the barking V8 note.....

(I have a fear that the GXP is "only" 400hp due to divisional in-fighting and corporate politics wanting to protect Corvette's turf.....which is stupid....considering no one would ever really care if a G8 GXP had "gasp" as much power as a Corvette.......)

Edited by The O.C.

(I have a fear that the GXP is "only" 400hp due to divisional in-fighting and corporate politics wanting to protect Corvette's turf.....which is stupid....considering no one would ever really care if a G8 GXP had "gasp" as much power as a Corvette.......)

+1. Another small thing that kills GM

Here's what I found for C&D.....they ran actual numbers on the G8 just in their recent 4-08 issue......I scrounged out the 9-05 issue (Magnum SRT-8) and the 6-05 issue (300C SRT-8) for comparison purposes.....same magazine, same testing procedures.....(I couldn't find a recent test of the Charger SRT-8 in C&D)

According to Pontiac's website, they say the GXP will do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, same as the 300C.

Here's what I found for C&D.....they ran actual numbers on the G8 just in their recent 4-08 issue......I scrounged out the 9-05 issue (Magnum SRT8) and the 6-05 issue (300C SRT8) for comparison purposes.....same magazine, same testing procedures.....(I couldn't find a recent test of the Charger SRT-8 in C&D)

G8 GT (4,100lbs)

0-60 - 5.3

0-100 - 12.7

1/4 mile - 13.8 @ 104mph

C/D Observed - 16mpg

300C SRT-8 (4,212lbs)

0-60 - 4.7

0-100 - 11.2

1/4 mile - 13.2 @ 109mph

C/D Observed - 14mpg

Magnum SRT-8 (4,379lbs)

0-60 - 5.1

0-100 - 12.1

1/4 mile - 13.6 @ 106mph

C/D Observed - N/A

I think it's fair to assume that the G8 GT is not quite running with the SRT-8s......as you can see, even the heavier (by about 165lbs over 300C) Magnum stays ahead of the G8 GT.

BUT....G8 does seem to be staying ahead of the mainstream Hemi LXs......it's somewhere in between.

The GXP ought to bring it in line with the SRT-8s.....maybe a bit faster with the manual tranny.....

But to me, I'd rather have seen the 430hp rating as the Corvette.....if for nothing else but bragging rights over ChryCo......and give us the trick exhaust option from the Corvette.....if for nothing else than the barking V8 note.....

When Edmunds tested the G8 GT they lined it up next to a Charger SRT-8, and the Charger just barely won each time. I think that is where the comment about the G8 GT being almost as fast as the SRT-8s comes from.

I agree 100%....

I would be on the other side of the fence if the 430hp Corvette was the top vette. But seriously, with the Z06 and ZR1 in the picture, why not have a 430-450hp G8 GXP?

I hope it's just cost and mechanical stuff that keeps the HP to 400 (Maybe we'll see more as time goes on) and not CAFE or politics. For god's sake, the top vette is pushing 620hp and the top Cadillac is at 550hp. Is Pontiac such a hated step child that it has to be 150-220hp away to "not be a threat" with it's top offering?

I like the G8 GXP a lot and I think it'll do VERY well, but a part of me still yearns for a 'no compromises' Pontiac flagship that truly embodies what the division stands for; unbeatable performance, intimidating and aggressive design wth approachable demographics.

Maybe the GXP was limited to 402hp so as not to make the Camaro look stupid?

EDIT: How 'bout a Solstice with 400hp? :D:metal:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I like the G8 GXP a lot and I think it'll do VERY well, but a part of me still yearns for a 'no compromises' Pontiac flagship that truly embodies what the division stands for; unbeatable performance, intimidating and aggressive design wth approachable demographics.

GM politics would never let that happen. I bet if anything kills GM, that will be it.

i can't believe all the f-cking bitching.

the gto was never good enough. the g8 is worlds above the GTO and we get a rear drive 400 hp manual trans sedan with tasteful good looks and people are still bitching.

Jesus Christ. 400, 430, none of you have the skill the drive to make a difference with the extra 30 hp. My God. Can you not just be pleased with a 400hp rwd man trans pontiac that can perform 95% to the level of a BMW for a lot less $$$$$?

considering gas will be like 3.50 or more this summer, pissing about 30hp on a car with 400 already seems to be rather insane.

did anyone ever consider that maybe its easier to get the extra hp on the vette because of easier exhaust plumbing?

You want the extra hp, go ahead and spend the dough for some mods yourself.

Edited by regfootball

i can't believe all the f-cking bitching.

the gto was never good enough. the g8 is worlds above the GTO and we get a rear drive 400 hp manual trans sedan with tasteful good looks and people are still bitching.

Jesus Christ. 400, 430, none of you have the skill the drive to make a difference with the extra 30 hp. My God. Can you not just be pleased with a 400hp rwd man trans pontiac that can perform 95% to the level of a BMW for a lot less $$$$$?

considering gas will be like 3.50 or more this summer, pissing about 30hp on a car with 400 already seems to be rather insane.

did anyone ever consider that maybe its easier to get the extra hp on the vette because of easier exhaust plumbing?

You want the extra hp, go ahead and spend the dough for some mods yourself.

I have to agree with Reg here, and considering how rare that is, you know it's a good point. :P

402 horsepower is more than enough. 4.7 seconds to 60 is more than fast enough. As well, it's going to be a huge bargain next to its SRT8 rivals. Who cares how much horsepower a vehicle has if it can keep up or beat a vehicle with more horsepower. It's not about how much, its about what you can do with the existing amount. Playing numbers is just a unneeded penis enhancing game.

When Edmunds tested the G8 GT they lined it up next to a Charger SRT-8, and the Charger just barely won each time. I think that is where the comment about the G8 GT being almost as fast as the SRT-8s comes from.

Oh.....but he said the G8 GT was "faster" than......and the GXP should "smoke" the SRTs......

I think it will be a good race between the GXP and SRT-8s.......remember, we don't know how much the GXP will weigh......LX SRT-8 sedans and G8 GTs are pretty close in curb weight.....so we'll have to see....

I'd be in support of chokeholds on the engine, by transmission, emission...that are easily reversable....in order to meet stricter CAFE/emission standards. So, even though this may not be the case here, we all know the LS line of engines are easily modifiable. 400 hp is so much for the average person. It's more than enough. There is no reason to complain. Let's be happy the car is here and not shelved like the beautiful Impala we heard so much about.

The 6.2 liter in the Escalade is 403 hp, perhaps the Vette has better air intake, and exhaust that gives it an advantage. It also depends on how effectively they can put the power on the ground, maybe the GXP accelerates better with 402 hp than with 430 or more because of wheel hop or some other issue. Or maybe GM is just using the old "nothing can have as much power as a Corvette" rule they like to use.

They are over the magic 400 number, so that should be enough to get G8 buyers to pay extra for the GXP, unless the GXP is significantly more than the GT and people don't think the price is worth the extra 40 hp. My complaint is that it seems Pontiac recycled all the old plastic body cladding into a gray, rubbermaid interior. The G8 interior is almost as bad as the Charger's.

The BMW 135i does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with 300 hp. Horsepower number isn't everything, depends on how you use it. And I'm aware the 135i is 2 door and more like a Shelby Mustang or Camaro SS competitor if you were going to compare it to an American car.

From what I've been hearing so far:

1) The HP numbers are underrated

2) the intake is a major restriction and VE owners in Oz have gotten huge gains by going aftermarket.

3) The computer program limits the engine artificially, should be a fairly easy mod as well.

Can't swear to any of this, but that's the story floating around.