R.I.P. Lucerne CXS

Tailfin61

CARS.com is always updated (and accurately) ahead of the BUICK website. Just as BUICK rolled out the LaX Super and axed the CXS model, looks like the same thing is happening with the Lucerne CXS. You can now build a Lucerne Super on CARS, but the CXS has disappeared. It also looks like they rebundled some of the option packages as well on Lucerne.

They kinda killed the wrong model....its the CX and CXL trims that desperately need to die.....rename CXS the Reserve, give it no-charge leather and/or buckets (and credit or standard front split-bench and/or cloth) for both LaCrosse and Lucerne, keep building.

They kinda killed the wrong model....its the CX and CXL trims that desperately need to die.....rename CXS the Reserve, give it no-charge leather and/or buckets (and credit or standard front split-bench and/or cloth) for both LaCrosse and Lucerne, keep building.

Honestly? The renaming stuff HAS to stop. People are JUST starting to get accustomed to CX, CXL, CXS... no more name changing for a while. Everyone needs to just deal with it.

The CXL could have retained a V8 option, but honestly, when there's a 17hp difference between the 2 V8 engines, is there really a point to having the option of a V8 in the CXL? What really should be done is the offering of a 3.6L in the CX and CXL trims as standard. Okay, we're early in the 2009 model year, the 3800 just needs to die. I know it was a good engine, but COME ON ALREADY, we know it's leaving, but it just always seems to linger. Make the Lucerne a little more competitive in base trim. What's wrong with that?

Edited by Paolino

Rather buy a Malibu or Aura to be honest... Okay maybe just the Malibu (no Kommunists for me)

A Loaded Malibu LT2 3.6L with the Suede and every available option goes for the same price that the Lucerne CX bases at, it's a no-brainer.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Well, the Buick website is updated... I don't know if this is their new slogan, but "Drive Beautiful" is gone. I see now "Immerse Yourself in the Craft of Modern Luxury".

The Lucerne Super is up... they have... no joke... one interior picture and one exterior picture that shows the Super. They make essentially no fanfare over it... like there's no special promotion to it.

However, it still shows the CXS as an available trim level, so I don't know if it's dead.

lacross and the 3.8 dies early next year, yes?

3.6 into the lucerne, and then replaced on zeta for MY '11?

it has been a great engine(if not updated), minus the broader gasket issues, but for the good of the brand/company, KILL IT.

lacross and the 3.8 dies early next year, yes?

3.6 into the lucerne, and then replaced on zeta for MY '11?

it has been a great engine(if not updated), minus the broader gasket issues, but for the good of the brand/company, KILL IT.

I bet there will be enough 3800's to keep the Lucerne stocked until it's replaced in 2011. I totally agree with you, but I just don't see it happening.

I bet there will be enough 3800's to keep the Lucerne stocked until it's replaced in 2011. I totally agree with you, but I just don't see it happening.

I had heard something about the 3800 not meeting updated emissions standards....but I forget what year that was. Something tells me it was 2009 or 2010.....?

I had heard something about the 3800 not meeting updated emissions standards....but I forget what year that was. Something tells me it was 2009 or 2010.....?

I can't imagine what it may be... it's SULEV.

Oh it's something far more than just if an engine is rated "SULEV" or "PLEV".....I don't remember the specifics but it was far more involved......

Thing is, I can't imagine them making a big change like putting in a new engine for just one or two model years.

Thing is, I can't imagine them making a big change like putting in a new engine for just one or two model years.

Why not? The original 3.2 in the CTS was a 2 1/2 year only engine. It was replaced by the 2.8HF.

If there ever was an example of a DOHC V6 being less refined than a pushrod V6.... the 3.2 would be it. It sounded awful, had a rough idle due to it's oddball 54 degree cylinder bank <I always describe it as a "limp">, used timing belts, wasn't particularly powerful for it's size and is the main cause for the poor rating for the CTS in CR in it's first year.... and thusly CR ignoring the substantially superior and better selling 3.6HF in subsequent years and continuing to base the CTS's rating on just the 3.2.

Strangely it was based on the 3.0 available in the final years of the Saturn LS.... which, while not being a barn burner, was completely the opposite in terms of running mannerisms when compared to the 3.2. Additionally, the 3.0 had comparable power to the pushrod 3.4 and could have been directly swapped in and silenced all the whining about pushrods in the Minivans, N-bodies, W-bodies, etc.

Sorry for the oddball GM DOHC V6 history lesson.

Why not? The original 3.2 in the CTS was a 2 1/2 year only engine. It was replaced by the 2.8HF.

If there ever was an example of a DOHC V6 being less refined than a pushrod V6.... the 3.2 would be it. It sounded awful, had a rough idle due to it's oddball 54 degree cylinder bank <I always describe it as a "limp">, used timing belts, wasn't particularly powerful for it's size and is the main cause for the poor rating for the CTS in CR in it's first year.... and thusly CR ignoring the substantially superior and better selling 3.6HF in subsequent years and continuing to base the CTS's rating on just the 3.2.

Strangely it was based on the 3.0 available in the final years of the Saturn LS.... which, while not being a barn burner, was completely the opposite in terms of running mannerisms when compared to the 3.2. Additionally, the 3.0 had comparable power to the pushrod 3.4 and could have been directly swapped in and silenced all the whining about pushrods in the Minivans, N-bodies, W-bodies, etc.

Sorry for the oddball GM DOHC V6 history lesson.

No apologies needed, I enjoy the learning.

I still don't think they'd do it. I mean, it would totally make sense... GP isn't around anymore after this year, LaCrosse could use the stock leftover, and since they're no longer producing them, it'd make sense to add a different engine to the Lucerne. However, that being said, they just don't have a high enough demand of LaX and Lucernes... so the engine stock would just fill their needs til the Lucerne replacement came.

Well, I dom't know if I would waste the time....though I do hear that there could be a couple of nice engines... :yes:

Short of offering more value-nothing is going to change much on this car.

Very soon, the base model (CX) also disappears..

I wouldn't be surprised if the they kill these models off earlier, to add new models to D-ham, and add the upcoming Volt.

(Either that, or a plant closing..)

There have been some GM people in that plant...I have a feeling changes are coming.... :yes:

I do know that they plan to trim the models and packages down of the Lucerne for 2009 even more...

Don't forget... D-Ham production commitments have already been announced as part of the Union agreement:

Detroit Hamtramck, Mich.

*Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS continue until 2010

*Global Delta MPV7 beginning in 2009

*Global Delta Volt beginning in 2010

*Global Epsilon Chevrolet beginning in 2012

Dave... speaking of More Value (you had mentioned in your post)...

One thing that really irritates me is, standard on the base LaCrosse is tilt/telescopic steering, dual zone auto climate control.

Not standard on the more expensive Lucerne, which now starts over 27K.

Not to mention, they decontented the CXL a little, yet the price starts over 30K now!

Don't forget... D-Ham production commitments have already been announced as part of the Union agreement:

Yes, but you and I know that it could change on a dime..union or not.

Though I think when the plant sheds more workers, it will make GM happy. ( There are quite a few 30+(years) workers still there, even after a shift cut)

But my gut says there will be product there. But they might retool early...

Dave... speaking of More Value (you had mentioned in your post)...

One thing that really irritates me is, standard on the base LaCrosse is tilt/telescopic steering, dual zone auto climate control.

Not standard on the more expensive Lucerne, which now starts over 27K.

Not to mention, they decontented the CXL a little, yet the price starts over 30K now!

I think the coming changes are going to address that...build more of the same, save a buck or two....

That, and there is a certain korean car that will eat the Lucerne for dinner if changes are not made soon...

So can you get a V8 CXL? I hope so and the 3.6 should come standard along with a 6spd. auto. Same for the DTS six cogs would make these to good cars great.

With the Lucerne CXS' demise, the Lucerne CXL receives a 'Special Edition' trim with V6 or V8.

The only other information that the Buick website provides is that the Lucerne CXL Special Edition will begin at $32,150. I suspect it'll have the Super's front end with flood lights.

Again, the CXS trim is available on the website.

The Special Edition CXL V6 and V8 is available too... it has a regular grille, but it's chromed (at least it is when you go to build it), and the wheels look different--but it's too difficult to tell what they look like.

Honestly? The renaming stuff HAS to stop. People are JUST starting to get accustomed to CX, CXL, CXS... no more name changing for a while. Everyone needs to just deal with it.

The CXL could have retained a V8 option, but honestly, when there's a 17hp difference between the 2 V8 engines, is there really a point to having the option of a V8 in the CXL? What really should be done is the offering of a 3.6L in the CX and CXL trims as standard. Okay, we're early in the 2009 model year, the 3800 just needs to die. I know it was a good engine, but COME ON ALREADY, we know it's leaving, but it just always seems to linger. Make the Lucerne a little more competitive in base trim. What's wrong with that?

I agree, GM renames cars and models too much, same with base, LS, LT at chevy and then base is LS and there is LT1, LT2, LT3, etc. I think they change car names a lot because cars like the Grand Prix get dated and fleeted out so the reputation is trashed and they have to give a car a new name, vs Accord/Camry which have been around forever and people are familiar with it.

Buick is cheap, that is why they have the 3800, and most of their customers drive slow and don't know the difference anyway. The Northstar powered Lucerne is slower than a V6 Malibu or Camry and the 6-speed doesn't fit on their ancient chassis. The Lucerne won't be competitive until it has a new chassis, new styling, new engine, new interior, new transmission, new marketing and new customer base. Once they take care of that, Buick is on the comeback trail.

The Special Edition CXL V6 and V8 is available too... it has a regular grille, but it's chromed (at least it is when you go to build it), and the wheels look different--but it's too difficult to tell what they look like.

I'd guess the reason CXS is still on Buick's website is because dealers have a decent amount of inventory to be sold. CXS was dropped on LaCrosse. It's easy tp assume the same will happen on Lucerne. The Enclave never had a CXS trim. Autodeadline has photos of the new CXL SE. I'll post a few:

WKA2008040783182_pv.jpg

WKA2008040783282_pv.jpg

WKA2008040783225_pv.jpg

WKA2008040783296_pv.jpg

WKA2008040783196_pv.jpg

WKA2008040783364_pv.jpg

Single chrome exhaust, chrome grille, SE badge, metallic center-stack, different carpet, and, uh, that appears to be it for any physical changes. I guess it's just all packaging.

There isn't much "special" about that car. The wheels look cheap and tacky, I love the super bright chrome next to the gray plastic under the front and rear bumpers and plastic slats where fog lights normally are. The Impala HVAC controls and shifter from the 2000 Deville are sweet too. The single exhaust and port holes hint at the massive power lurking under the hood. This car looks like it was made in 1998, not 2008.

Single chrome exhaust, chrome grille, SE badge, metallic center-stack, different carpet, and, uh, that appears to be it for any physical changes. I guess it's just all packaging.

Exactly. It's a trim package of existing option/features on the Lucerne. The additional features and renewed V8 option on the CXL pretty much negates the CXS. The single chrome exhaust is because the one in the pic is a 6-cyl.

The CXS is now gone from the BUICK site . . . .

• 2 months later...
The CXS is now gone from the BUICK site . . . .

I haven't read or posted here for awhile. But after reading all the replies in this thread, I come away with the following impression. Basically, everyone wants Buick to offer its customers the choice of a LaCrosse or Lucerne model with a V8 engine option, but without having to pay for the optional equipment that comes standard with the Super models. I agree that Buick should build such models for their loyal customers.

...Basically, everyone wants Buick to offer its customers the choice of a LaCrosse or Lucerne model with a V8 engine option, but without having to pay for the optional equipment that comes standard with the Super models. I agree that Buick should build such models for their loyal customers.

The Lucerne CXL Special Edition has the NorthStar V8 available.

The Lucerne CXL Special Edition has the NorthStar V8 available.

That's true. I wish we could see some good shots of the Special Edition wheels. I've seen them from afar only.

i wonder which wheels you are referring to. my 500 is blue with tan leather. a brand new lucerne CXL has parked next to me in the lot the last couple of days. I am telling you, HOT CAR! OMG....same color, blue with tan interior. my colleague at lunch actually mistook that car for mine and tried to get in it. anyways.....i really was admiring that car and yes it had wheels on it i didnt think i saw on a lucerne before. NICE wheels though. the whole car was all shiny and beautiful! Paulie its so right for you!!!!!!!!!

for me i dont care for the dash on the lucerne though i think it needs work. the door and the seats are ok.

i wonder which wheels you are referring to. my 500 is blue with tan leather. a brand new lucerne CXL has parked next to me in the lot the last couple of days. I am telling you, HOT CAR! OMG....same color, blue with tan interior. my colleague at lunch actually mistook that car for mine and tried to get in it. anyways.....i really was admiring that car and yes it had wheels on it i didnt think i saw on a lucerne before. NICE wheels though. the whole car was all shiny and beautiful! Paulie its so right for you!!!!!!!!!

for me i dont care for the dash on the lucerne though i think it needs work. the door and the seats are ok.

It could use a better faux wood and a nicer center stack/controls.