LSA Camaro Spied (Z28?)

NOS2006

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3219

attachmentcn5.jpg

Seen here is what is likely the Camaro SS!! It was spotted by one of our members with his cellphone in Mesa, AZ, outside the GM proving grounds. It is being tested concurrently with other similarly configured Camaros in the GM proving grounds. From what we can see, the car's distinguishing body work includes the black hood stripe and hockey stripes running down the sides of the car.

We've been told that it sounded like "a demon"! And had a whistling sound at idle

The first photo is the original. The second has been magnified.

Enjoy!!

Don't get too carried away as this is just a picture of a mule sporting some different stipe packages Chevy is looking at. They have yet to decide what to do factory yet and may be offered as a dealer option.

Info from Scott Settlmire Fbodfather.

As for the Z28 it will be supercharged and will be a cheaper version than the LS9. Look for at least 550 HP to compete with the Shelby. GM will not just match the standard Shelby but beat it in HP.

So SS will have less power than the Z28? Thats werid and I love the strip. But it better come from the factory some dealers do a half-ass job of that stuff.

not really, back in the day Z28 was king, maybe not in hp numbers but it was the top of the camaro ladder...

base, rs, ss, z28

tis the one to go to when one wanted to go fast and turn. rumors have it that a dynoed 302 crossram from the trans am series days put out close to 380hp. who did the dynoing? some guys that raced mustangs so they could see where they needed to go to keep up.

Edited by cletus8269

So SS will have less power than the Z28? Thats werid and I love the strip. But it better come from the factory some dealers do a half-ass job of that stuff.

They way I was told the Z will be top gun. As in a SS can be any Chevy but a Z/28 con only be a Camaro. It was the special limited edition back when it first came out and that is what it is going back to.

The V8 SS is the bread and butter Mustang GT fighter.

Now here is where things are going to change. From what I was told there will be 2 V6 models one standard issue and one performance 300 HP 3.6 DI non Turbo. Now I was quoted last summer that they may be looking at around 320 HP at that time. I know the info is good and that the number was real. Now the question is has that changed since last year? What they want and what we get are two different things.

The V6 is the money car and it has to sell better than any 6 cylinder Camaro in history. Look for a big push on this carI expect it will account for 70% of sales.

Damn that is a sexy fascia!!!

Small things here and there. LS9 is most advanced, has more lightweight materials (titanium) than the others. Probably lower boost on the LS8 than LSA and LS9.

Nothin' a pulley and tune can't fix.

Everything looks good on this. It's going to look amazing when it finally hits production.

not really, back in the day Z28 was king, maybe not in hp numbers but it was the top of the camaro ladder...

base, rs, ss, z28

tis the one to go to when one wanted to go fast and turn. rumors have it that a dynoed 302 crossram from the trans am series days put out close to 380hp. who did the dynoing? some guys that raced mustangs so they could see where they needed to go to keep up.

Actually RS began back in the late 60-s as an option package available on any Camaro that gave you the different front end with the hidden headlamps, etc.

Therefore, for confusion's sake, you could have an SS or Z/28 WITH the RS package.....or without......

In later years, GM made "RS" an option under the Z28/IROC-Z. I'm not sure how it was handled in the 70-s.....

Actually RS began back in the late 60-s as an option package available on any Camaro that gave you the different front end with the hidden headlamps, etc.

Therefore, for confusion's sake, you could have an SS or Z/28 WITH the RS package.....or without......

In later years, GM made "RS" an option under the Z28/IROC-Z. I'm not sure how it was handled in the 70-s.....

indeed but wasnt there just rs camaros too in the 60's? im sure i saw lower case rs and then there were upper case RS the next time round.

indeed but wasnt there just rs camaros too in the 60's? im sure i saw lower case rs and then there were upper case RS the next time round.

Yes, the basic Sport Coupe model Camaros were available with a RS package upgrade. Again, as O.C. said, the RS package was available on any model Camaro as it was basically an appearance package, not a separate model of the Camaro series with any sort of performance gain like the Z/28 or SS models.

I thought it wasn't available on the Z/28... I've heard of RS and SS/RS, but never Z/28 RS.

I remember reading an issue of Car & Driver from 1997 that compared the '97 Camaro Z/28 30th Anniversary model to the original '67 Camaro Z/28 that said the '67 model in question did have the RS package. If I get the chance, I'll dig it up, and look around on the net a bit, but I'm pretty sure the RS package was available on the Z/28 model.

I won't say it never happened but I have never seen the Hideaway lights on a Z/28.

If I recall the headlight doors were part of the RS package. I always thought it was available on any Camaro but the Z/28.

The SS RS was a very common car and package.

I remember reading an issue of Car & Driver from 1997 that compared the '97 Camaro Z/28 30th Anniversary model to the original '67 Camaro Z/28 that said the '67 model in question did have the RS package. If I get the chance, I'll dig it up, and look around on the net a bit, but I'm pretty sure the RS package was available on the Z/28 model.

Yep, back in the day there were quite a few Z/28 RS versions running around my town, mine was not but several of my friends had them. What was not available with Z/28 '67-'69 was convertible, auto tranny, and I think AC was not either.

Clyde

Well ... they do say seeing is believing, so I present to you, gentlemen, the elusive Camaro Z/28 RS! :smilewide:

history-1.jpg

Yes, Delaware, that is a Z/28 model F-Body. Would anyone mind reading that little badge in the grille for me, though? I believe my contacts have popped out. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Hyper, I'm actually shocked that you didn't know you could get a RS Z/28 !

I've seen many, many, over the years and have always preferred both Z/28s and SSs when they also had the RS package.

But, the RS was also a stand alone item at three different times in Camaro history. The first was the Gen1 Camaro and the second (and most common) was on the 3rd gen, the last time was late 4th gens done by SLP. The first gens are rare and desireable collectors items, some third gens are quite nice but not very rare, and the 4th gens are something of a footnote.

EDIT: there may have also been an early 4th gen factory RS, I simply don't remember.

I've seen many, many, over the years and have always preferred both Z/28s and SSs when they also had the RS package.

But, the RS was also a stand alone item at three different times in Camaro history. The first was the Gen1 Camaro and the second (and most common) was on the 3rd gen, the last time was late 4th gens done by SLP. The first gens are rare and desireable collectors items, some third gens are quite nice but not very rare, and the 4th gens are something of a footnote.

EDIT: there may have also been an early 4th gen factory RS, I simply don't remember.

Wasn't the RS package stand-alone also in the '70-73 2nd gen? I think RS then resulted in the split bumper variant front end..

Wasn't the RS package stand-alone also in the '70-73 2nd gen? I think RS then resulted in the split bumper variant front end..

In some years it was, but I believe they were after the split bumper era. I could be wrong though.

I'll check one of my references.

I seem to remember a "sticker package" 2nd gen RS after the split bumper cars.

Yep!

Stand alone during the split bumper years as well - don't think I've ever seen one though.

I think I've only seen them in pictures...I recall a factory pic in a book of a gold one with hubcaps.

If I read the Wikipedia entry correct, there was an RS decal package from '75-80. I vaguely remember seeing yellow '78-80 Camaros years ago with black graphics and 'Rally Sport' spelled out...

I think I've only seen them in pictures...I recall a factory pic in a book of a gold one with hubcaps.

If I read the Wikipedia entry correct, there was an RS decal package from '75-80. I vaguely remember seeing yellow '78-80 Camaros years ago with black graphics and 'Rally Sport' spelled out...

Yeah, '74-'75ish it was really bad - a giant graphic that covered most of the hood on Z/28s

My reference stops at '73, so I have just memory to go on for those years.

good to hear, was begining to think i was losing my mind.