[ Real ] Buick Invicta Concept

wildcat

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think this is a more direct 2010 LaCrosse preview? Cause I'm not sure what to think, but even though its a little bit 'lined' and tame , it is good to see the sweepsear back!!!!! Here's the styling renaissance we've asked for since the 1970's!

that's definitely the Lacrosse. check the second statement in that press release, direct from Buick China, it's "a premium vehicle with internation appeal." Of course they're going to be blunt with you, they are proud of thier baby. and the fact that it will be sold in America, and likely going to be popular, or at least in thier minds so far.

Amazing that it's being called Invicta, I'm pretty sure I remember thegriffon saying the new EP II Buick won't be called Lacrosse and it won't be called Regal. So this is definitely the new name. And it wouldn't be a fullsize Buick Zeta, too early, China already has the Park Ave, and that one isn't doing so well over there. So it's definitely the next Lacrosse being revealed very soon!

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree. This is NOT the NG LaCrosse; we've already seen spy shots of that (the white 4-door) and these vehicles look nothing alike. If anything, this new Invicta concept has the same roofline as the Holden Coupe 60.

Edited by wildcat

I'd say it's a safe bet to say it'll be coming Stateside. :AH-HA_wink:

I can only hope! I'm sick of seeing Buicks we'll never get.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree. This is NOT the NG LaCrosse; we've already seen spy shots of that (the white 4-door) and these vehicles look nothing alike. If anything, this new Invicta concept has the same roofline as the Holden Coupe 60.

I agree, this is not the LaCrosse.

Whatever it is, it looks pretty interesting...I like the classic Buick sweepspear on the side and love the name. Nothing wrong with using 'heritage' names, IMHO... I love the names Invicta and Electra in particular.

(by the way, here's a geek factoid--I have the computers on my home network named Impala, Catalina, Ventura, Invicta, and Electra-- '60s GM big-car names that end in 'a').

This is the concept version of the LaCrosse, turbo is correct. I'm almost 100% sure. The profile matches the LaCrosse/whatever they're going to call it perfectly.

Just to be sure that I understand you guys... underneath that black camouflage on the side of the white 4-door NG LaCrosse spyshots is a sweepspear? Is it a chrome piece? Is it molded into the body sheet metal? Does it stick out from the side or is it flat to the touch?

Why would they make a "concept" for the NG LaCrosse, when they've already said the Riviera "concept" previews it?

Are you sure this Invicta isn't forecasting the Lucerne replacement?

Elsewhere, reports are that it is a "coupe-like" sedan; that the vehicle is all but certain to become a production model; and that all Buicks will be made to be sold in China and NA.

ADDED THOUGHT: Jalopnik says that it is a full-size luxury sedan.

Edited by wildcat

I'm guessing it's a concept for the next Lucerne..it looks bigger than a LaCrosse/Epsy II Regal will be..

That's totally what I'm thinking.

I don't understand why CAFE rules out Zeta... why can't we get a hot full-size zeta, DI 3.6, or 3.6L turbo, 6A--that's decent fuel economy for a full-size vehicle.

This is definitely the Lucerne replacement. They are throwing a concept out to guage design critique for the production model. The LaCrosse (Whatever) is definitely mid-sized and way too far along for a concept. Is Zeta definitely out of the picture on this one? The current Chinese Park Avenue utilizes this platform.

I just got done reading an article on the Detroit News website, "Buick unveils concept car sketches; Tiger Woods golf ball art" by Eric Morath. Here are a few interesting quotes from it:

" . . . The Invicta is a step toward bringing back a sporty Riviera-like car to Buick's production lineup, Edward Welburn, vice president for GM Global Design said . . . "

" . . . The new product is designed to meet the needs to both drivers in America, and China . . . "

" . . . This is a showcase for our global design direction," he [ Welburn ] said . . . "

" . . . Welburn said he could envision both a coupe and a sedan version of a potential production vehicle . . . "

To read the entire piece, click here.

for one, EP II Lacrosse will be big, full size even, it's on the long wheel-base version of Epsilon II. Why would GM show a concept version of the Lucerne replacement, when that car when it was scheduled to be released in 2010-2011 timeframe, so we would have another situation like the Camaro and Solstice. Currently, there hasn't been any confirmation that the Lucerne Zeta is still even on, but there has been talks that both the Cadillac Zeta and Buick Zeta are questionable. The Zeta Buick in China is already out, and it's not doing well, at all. That doesn't mean their won't be another one coming, but it's yet another reason why this car is EP II and not Zeta.

GM as of late previews most of thier production cars with concept cars, this is pretty common practice for them; CT coupe, BRX, 9-4x, 9-1 Biohybrid, Flextreme previewing Astra, and we'll have an Insignia concept soon etc etc. They do this all the time and it's global! and they try to stick to a formula of concept car one year before production car. I don't see any new Buick sedan coming out next year except EP II.

There's no doubt in my mind this is EP II. Furthermore, even Welburn's comments from wildcat that he would like to see coupe and sedan. We've already seen a coupe on EP II, Riviera and Opel GTC, it's definitely being set up to support coupes, Buick can support a 'full-size' luxury coupe like the Riviera in China based on its emerging middle class.

Even though it has the Hofmeister kink of BMW that is also used with the G8, this is simply a really commonly used styling cue. I have no qualms with the spy shots, they showed nothing, and could have been covered with rough panels to blur out the lines. Remember, Lutz said this car was "amazing" or "phenomonal", he used a really strong word to support it.

Edited by turbo200

Now that I look at the 2010 LaCrosse spyshots again, it is possible this is just a teaser of the LaCrosse. This teaser made me envision a much longer, sleeker car than the spyshots of the LaCrosse... but again, after looking at the LaCrosse spyshots, it looks potentially like the teaser.

Now that I look at the 2010 LaCrosse spyshots again, it is possible this is just a teaser of the LaCrosse. This teaser made me envision a much longer, sleeker car than the spyshots of the LaCrosse... but again, after looking at the LaCrosse spyshots, it looks potentially like the teaser.

I would bet the farm this is a close-to-production Lacrosse concept. That means its Epsilon II, so FWD and AWD will be the propulsion.

Just to be sure that I understand you guys... underneath that black camouflage on the side of the white 4-door NG LaCrosse spyshots is a sweepspear? Is it a chrome piece? Is it molded into the body sheet metal? Does it stick out from the side or is it flat to the touch?

Why would they make a "concept" for the NG LaCrosse, when they've already said the Riviera "concept" previews it?

Are you sure this Invicta isn't forecasting the Lucerne replacement?

Elsewhere, reports are that it is a "coupe-like" sedan; that the vehicle is all but certain to become a production model; and that all Buicks will be made to be sold in China and NA.

ADDED THOUGHT: Jalopnik says that it is a full-size luxury sedan.

The sweespear is part of the sheet metal.

There's no way they would already be showing something for the next Lucerne. NG Lucerne is at least 3 years away. At one point it was a late 2010 CY entry, and it's been pushed back I would assume.

Riviera concept is quite small. 185 inches long. That's more like the size of a Buick on Delta II than EPII (Cobalt is 180.5 inches long, for comparison).

Reports that it is certain that it will become a production model should give away the fact that it is the LaCrosse. Zeta is in question, and with it the NG Lucerne.

If there even is a NG Lucerne. I forsee the Invicta taking over the top end Buick spot, with the addition of a sub-Invicta RWD Regal and the EPII Riviera, perhaps the Excelle (Special) will become a reality in NA, but I'm not so sure.

judging from the photos above it is clear they are one and the same. check the width of the C pillar, slope of A pillar, and overall length of the stretch of the greenhouse.

does have a coupe profile, it reminds me of the first gen Aurora with the severely sloped rear window, chopped rear door glass and truncated rear deck, not a bad place to be at style-wise.

Edited by turbo200

Judge the following for yourself.

YellowJacket894: Thank you for presenting these photos next to each other. Guess you're right. But I didn't imagine there was a sweepspear under that black camouflage, I thought it was just the curvy lines like on the Enclave. I hope it all looks cohesive and elegant.

The sweespear is part of the sheet metal . . . There's no way they would already be showing something for the next Lucerne. NG Lucerne is at least 3 years away.

Northstar: Thank you for your logic.

So, potentially, Buick may soon have the line-up of:

"Skylark" ( ? ) - Delta II ( ? )

"Invicta" - Epsilon II

"Riviera" - Delta II ( ? )

"Enclave" - Lambda

And then, of course, following his "Lunch with Buick" there was the report by z28luvr01 that " . . . When trying to figure out Buick's future productm 'don't limit yourself' to thinking about what's out there now or known to be in the pipeline . . . "

YellowJacket894: Thank you for presenting these photos next to each other. Guess you're right. But I didn't imagine there was a sweepspear under that black camouflage, I thought it was just the curvy lines like on the Enclave. I hope it all looks cohesive and elegant.

Northstar: Thank you for your logic.

So, potentially, Buick may soon have the line-up of:

"Skylark" ( ? ) - Delta II ( ? )

"Invicta" - Epsilon II

"Riviera" - Delta II ( ? )

"Enclave" - Lambda

And then, of course, following his "Lunch with Buick" there was the report by z28luvr01 that " . . . When trying to figure out Buick's future productm 'don't limit yourself' to thinking about what's out there now or known to be in the pipeline . . . "

"Skylark or Special" ( ? ) - Delta II ( ? )

"Regal or Wildcat" (?) Alpha (?)

"Invicta" - Epsilon II

"Riviera" - Epsilon II ( ? )

"Enclave" - Lambda

They're developing a RWD Sub-Invicta sedan, remember. (For Now), And I do believe that the Riviera would be EPII if it came to production (SWB EPII)

judging from the photos above it is clear they are one and the same. check the width of the C pillar, slope of A pillar, and overall length of the stretch of the greenhouse.

does have a coupe profile, it reminds me of the first gen Aurora with the severely sloped rear window, chopped rear door glass and truncated rear deck, not a bad place to be at style-wise.

Plus you can tell they added bulges in the camo to mask the sweepspear (or whatever you call it) going down the side of the vehicle.......

I was told back in January that the Invicta being released in China will be the new LaCrosse.

The Invicta name has a real history with GM, and IMO Buicks should have 'real names' and not only 'stuff that-sounds-French-names'.

The Invicta name has a real history with GM, and IMO Buicks should have 'real names' and not only 'stuff that-sounds-French-names'.

Agreed.. I'd love to see Riviera and Electra (my favorite Buick name) make a comeback also.

I'm going with EPS II on this one. I don't see the Invicta directly replacing LaCrosse or Lucerne... one of the reasons for the name change. It will be a premium sedan for Buick, but not in the same vein as either of them.

I picture this vehicle standing on its own merits against other near luxury cars without having to play the value-card: I'm super-sized (Lucerne) or budget buy (LaCrosse).

Agreed.. I'd love to see Riviera and Electra (my favorite Buick name) make a comeback also.

What I wonder is how they came up with LaCrosse in the 1st place... French Canadian jokes aside, did anyone at GM/Buick play LaCrosse and suggest that name?

I'm with VenSeattle.

I think we rightly are expecting this vehicle to be so much more than a restyled LaCrosse W-body, thereby meriting a name change. Plus they could be done with all of that LaCrosse is slang for whatever / LaCrosse in the US but Allure in Canada stuff.

I hope they're not using older Buick model names (Riviera, Invicta) only on the concepts or in China. If Buick is premium American, use its American heritage and no more "le" or "la," n'es pas?

Avez-vous un problème avec des noms français? Je me demande pourquoi? :smilewide:

Non, pas de problème avec des noms français. Vive la France! :smilewide:

Hope I spelled everything allright. I suck at French :lol:

Edited by ZL-1

je n'ai pas de probleme avec les noms francais, mais Lacrosse c'est merde

there you go :)

Invicta makes a great name for this Buick. Buick is one of those GM brands where the names aren't tarnished, it's just the image has permeated thanks to super conservative dour product that it's for old people exclusively. it's due time they undergo a remake.