Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

[ Real ] Buick Invicta Concept

wildcat

Buick Insignia?

Insignia & Invicta will both be EpII-based and carry some similar characteristics, however, the styling and details will be unique to both vehicles.

The Insignia may match the Invicta in the European market, but it will definitely be positioned above the Saturn version in the US.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mule bakersdozen LS :>>"Park Avenue debuted as an option package on the top-line Electra 225 Limited 4-door hardtop sedan for 1975 I believe"<<

Correct: a $495 option.

>>"...as for Gran Sport, it was an option package (not a separate trim) on Century 350 2-door hardtop coupes from 1973-74 I believe."<<

Also still listed for '75 ($171) - so the GS went option -> series -> option. GTO did the same thing ('64-74).

>>"When the Skylark was redesigned for 1973... there were three trims: 350... Century Luxus ... and the new Regal..."<<

Still looks to me (by looking at the codes) that the Regal was a model as opposed to an option...

the griffin :>>"Neither, but there isn't a one-one correlation between models and model names, or between a model series (different models in a related series of vehicles) and a model name. Sometimes one model series will get to two separate model names (Century and Regal), sometimes some models in a series will get an additional name to distinguish them (Electra Park Avenue, Lucerne Super), sometimes a model name will be shared by different model series (as Oldsmobile did with Cutlass), with or without a secondary name (such as Regal) to distinguish them. BTW Toyota does the same thing. The Celica XX becoming the Celica Supra and finally the Supra."<<

Your toyota example (correct me if I am wrong) is illustrative of successive years. When I use the term 'series' I do not use it in the literal sense, but in reference to a 'model line' as coded by the manufacturer, ie:

1966 Pontiac Star Chief Executive

25669 - 4-dr sedan

25639 - 4-dr hardtop

25637 - 2-dr hardtop

'256' denotes the Star Chief series / model line. Catalinas were 252s, Bonnevilles were 262s.

The Lucerne & Lucerne Super are either coded separately (ie: separate models), or there is only 1 code for the Lucerne and the Super package is an option like... different wheels or the like.

I would not be surprised at all to learn that the current system works differently that my obvious sphere of focus...

I like it. I find it hard to believe that they are going that simple on the headlight pod configuration. Whoever said it was the Riviera Concept made over was right only to the extent of the sweapspear. This is definitely Acxus. I mean Acura in their better years, the TL. I never thought of Buick as the BMW wannabe division, but this car definitely has styling undertones. I think they have looked at every desirable car from every maker and blended their best assets (beyond the headlights). I'm a go for Invicta, as long as Lucerne is Electra. How dare Saturn.

the griffin :>>"Neither, but there isn't a one-one correlation between models and model names, or between a model series (different models in a related series of vehicles) and a model name. Sometimes one model series will get to two separate model names (Century and Regal), sometimes some models in a series will get an additional name to distinguish them (Electra Park Avenue, Lucerne Super), sometimes a model name will be shared by different model series (as Oldsmobile did with Cutlass), with or without a secondary name (such as Regal) to distinguish them. BTW Toyota does the same thing. The Celica XX becoming the Celica Supra and finally the Supra."<<

Your toyota example (correct me if I am wrong) is illustrative of successive years. When I use the term 'series' I do not use it in the literal sense, but in reference to a 'model line' as coded by the manufacturer, ie:

1966 Pontiac Star Chief Executive

25669 - 4-dr sedan

25639 - 4-dr hardtop

25637 - 2-dr hardtop

'256' denotes the Star Chief series / model line. Catalinas were 252s, Bonnevilles were 262s.

The Lucerne & Lucerne Super are either coded separately (ie: separate models), or there is only 1 code for the Lucerne and the Super package is an option like... different wheels or the like....

I didn't mean successive years either, but a "series" like your star chief example. The Toyota example was only ti show that other manufacturers do the same thing (not so often as Toyota perhaps). Partly it's consumer driven—how many people call a Firebird a Trans Am, or even know that it's really a Firebird and that TransAm was just a sub-type.

Well, see, in most earlier years, the T/A was a separate 'model'. For example, all 3 '74 Ventura bodystyles were coded 2XY, toss the GTO option on the 2-dr coupe & it was still 2XY. Both the GP LJ and the GP SJ were both 2GK models. But the same year you got the :

2FS Firebird

2FT Firebird Esprit

2FU Firebird Formula

2FV Firebird Trans Am

I know these are the same car equipped only minorly-different in body, powertrain, suspension & options, but according to PMD these were 4 different models as opposed to option packages. Likely there were enough assembly differences to warrant this, but that's an assumption on my part.

• 2 weeks later...

You think somebody was tracing photos? LOL.

new-regal.jpg

lacrossesketch.jpg

The grill looks much better on the mule, even unchromed. Let's hope for better headlights. Horizontal bar in the lower grill fascia looks like a nice addition.

Edited by InvictaMan

Hmmm.... Just noticed the title of that Chinese pic. It is called New-Regal. Do you think that this car is meant as a Regal replacement only in China, and they are keeping their LaCrosse? They are two completely different cars, one is more relaxed and curvy (mid-range) and the other is very square and formal (upper-end). This car is definitely more curvy and not as formal as the CLaC. Their market does already have this precedent. Somebody, please give us some final names so we can know what to call this thing over here!

Edited by InvictaMan

You think somebody was tracing photos? LOL.

Or GM gave them the images, told them to make something different but still close, and then approved the final images. something along those lines happened with the Provoq, Malibu, GTO/Holden Coupe 60, and others I can't think of off the top of my head. they do it to provoke buzz.

Well, the car in the pic looks very similar to the Aura, so I wonder if the Regal will be replaced by a SWB EPII sedan similar to Aura and Invicta will replace LaCrosse as a LWB EPII sedan... ?

Buick China gets a totally rebadged Aura as a small car, and then the real Lacrosse is wider and longer and better.

I think this Buick will be well-received.

I'm wondering though, if Buick has already discarded "Drive Beautiful." As someone (Paulie, I think) pointed out, Buick's own website doesn't seem to show "Drive beautiful" anywhere anymore, and uses a headline "Immerse Yourself in the Craft of Modern Luxury," which may or may not be a tagline.

Saw the "Craft" commercial and they are still showing the "Drive Beautiful" tag line with the logo at the end of the commercial. Could be a transitional thing, but it's still out there even if not on the web site.

Additional rambling: Hey, I own an advertising agency, so I love the work to keep plugging along to bring in that cash flow; however, I think I would advise Buick not to change marketing campaigns so quickly or do a better job creating them from the start. Drive beautiful was not the strongest for a company trying to rebuild their image. The worst part was that it cross marketed with the campaign of a competitive company, one that does not necessarily help build the stand alone, quality image Buick needs to project. In this case, they were probably wise. I think quarterly changes in marketing are great, but you can freshen marketing without changing complete themes. Buick needs to build recognition in unconquered markets; markets that purchase luxury cars based on their projection of quality and stability (as if they don't already think Buick is on the way out the door). Kinda hard to do when your marketing is schizophrenic. I like "Craft" better, it kind of rides on the coat tails of "Art and Science" that Cadillac benefited from.

Edited by InvictaMan

Well, anybody have a show schedule for today or know exactly when we can expect the release of photos of what we've been obsessing over for the last while? I think we are all frustrated enough and ready for some closure on all the rumors, lol. I'm sure those in the know have thoroughly enjoyed the speculative banter.

Oh sheesh! In my excitement, I thought it was the 19th today. One more day, I'm a moron, thanks for noticing.

Edited by InvictaMan

• 5 years later...
Guest Sherman J Knibbe

We have a 1959 Buick Invicta Sedan, selling soon. 4/doors. original 48,000 miles, one owner from 1959 to his death and then transferred to estate, housed from 1998 until 2012, brought out and cleaned.