Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

G8 V6 or Malibu LTZ....?

So.....loaded G8 V6 is $30,665....with leather, sunroof, everything......

Loaded Malibu LTZ is $28,495......without the extra-cost paint.....

So roughly a $2K difference......is it worth it...? Well, I'd say "yes"......

Of course if you are looking at a lesser-equipped Malibu, there is really no G8 alternative......but it is an interesting question to ponder......

Would love them both!

I'd spend the extra cash for the G8 though... (assuming I wasn't already in debt to my eyeballs from student loans)

actually I am thinking about shopping the G8 and the malibu.

I prefer the G8, but I think the Malibu LT2 would be perfect for our family for the price ($24k). So it's a matter if the G8 is worth that extra bling or not. Or extra $100/month or whatever it turns out to be.

They don't have a hood scoop delete option do they?

Edited by lakefire

I see the Malibu more as "affordable luxury". I'm pretty sure that the Malibu has nicer leathers and a more luxurious feel to the interior. The G8 is more of a purpose-built sport sedan. The interior, while nice enough, isn't as rich-looking as the Malibu. It is simply a question of what features you value more.

actually I am thinking about shopping the G8 and the malibu.

I prefer the G8, but I think the Malibu LT2 would be perfect for our family for the price ($24k). So it's a matter if the G8 is worth that extra bling or not. Or extra $100/month or whatever it turns out to be.

They don't have a hood scoop delete option do they?

It surprises me that the two cars would be cross-shopped.

I'm all for the scoop delete option, but I wouldn't hold your breath expecting it.

It surprises me that the two cars would be cross-shopped.

I'm all for the scoop delete option, but I wouldn't hold your breath expecting it.

That's the thing that dealers don't realize. Is that people cross shop different cars in different categories all the time. I once was shopping a Malibu or a Mazda 3 or something against an Altima and the Nissan sales rep told me they aren't even in the same class and can't compare them. I'm like, you better believe I can compare them when I am looking to buy one of those.

I'll try to wait a year or so before buying so the price might drop a little bit or there might be some slight incentives. We don't need the car now. Damn that word "want."

That's the thing that dealers don't realize. Is that people cross shop different cars in different categories all the time. I once was shopping a Malibu or a Mazda 3 or something against an Altima and the Nissan sales rep told me they aren't even in the same class and can't compare them. I'm like, you better believe I can compare them when I am looking to buy one of those.

I'll try to wait a year or so before buying so the price might drop a little bit or there might be some slight incentives. We don't need the car now. Damn that word "want."

Some do, definitely... I can see myself cross-shopping the G8, CTS, TL and Town Car...4 very different cars, but they all appeal to me.. (yes, I'm wierd).

Yeah, but we're all guys. How many females and non-enthusiasts would take the FWD car over the RWD? Many.

exactly. how many times do we need to remind that women and wussies that read CR drive the car market.

I sat in a g8 today (comments on a thread in the pontiac section). The malibu comes off as crap in comparison. The presentation of the G8 is so much more of substance and restraint and good taste.

Not knocking the malibu, just saying the G8 is probably as well done as anything GM has right now. I saw some CTS and STS on the way back from lunch and thought, who would buy that at more $$$$?

Some do, definitely... I can see myself cross-shopping the G8, CTS, TL and Town Car...4 very different cars, but they all appeal to me.. (yes, I'm wierd).

HA! I see you your G8, CTS, TL and Town Car, and raise you one Previa, Thunderbird SC, Transsport SSE and Caprice wagon! (The wagon won - in January '91) How's that for wierd?

Edited by CARBIZ

HA! I see you your G8, CTS, TL and Town Car, and raise you one Previa, Thunderbird SC, Transsport SSE and Caprice wagon! (The wagon won - in January '90) How's that for wierd?

Heh-heh... pretty wierd. If I go with a Town Car, then I'm becoming like my father (who drove them the last 20 years of his life) and I'm a bit young for one (under 40), but I love their old school land yacht American-style luxoboat charms (my favorite rental, along with the Grand Marquis). The CTS I really like for the styling and the interior...it's very ultramodern and high tech, which is appropriate for me since I work in high tech...similar with the TL (and both aren't the predicable BMW choice which my peers often go for). The G8 has an old-school yet modern muscle appeal that I like...etc, etc..

My sister is considering a new car, and she's talked about 3 very different cars--the CTS, the FJCruiser, the Passat.

I was the same way when I bought my last car---in the summer of '00, around my 30th birthday, I was seriously looking at the Grand Cherokee, Jetta, Golf, A4, Passat, 4Runner, and Mustang GT. The Jeep ended up being my choice, primarily because my Bronco was worn out by then and needed replacing, and I wanted the off-road capability (which I have used).

Edited by moltar

So roughly a $2K difference......is it worth it...? Well, I'd say "yes"......

Yes, I agree.

I'd take the G8 for sure.

And, as others, I'm not sure about comparing the G8 to the malibu.......

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Money can't buy happiness" ... Don Williams ... 'One Good Well'

Malibu. Call me a sissy if you wish. I dont want to deal with a RWD car in winter. Did that for a awhile when I had no choice. But I wouldnt do it now. Plus I like the Malibu better of the two. Though give me the choice of any and I would take an Impala.

For me it would be the malibu vs the g8 v6. The v6 g8 just isnt going to be that quick. Too heavy, not enough power. The Bu' ripps it to 60 by comparisson. Now a G8GT vs a Bu' LTZ, Thats hands down G8. They should get the 3.6 DI in the base g8.

I'm in that exact same spot... I'm trying to determine my favorites in different vehicle segments and classes. I'll then see which accomodates the most of my wants and needs. We'll see.

I will say that the fact that this comparison exists illustrates the problem of selling an Impala. It would not only compete with the G8, but possibly be priced higher if it was using the LWB-platform.

Hmmm..not exactly..Cadillac never gave up RWD.

Well.....Cadillac didn't really take it seriously until the '02 CTS. Catera was a stop-gap....and the B-body Brougham could hardly use it's RWD to a performance advantage....before that, it was all FWD for quite some time....

Well.....Cadillac didn't really take it seriously until the '02 CTS. Catera was a stop-gap....and the B-body Brougham could hardly use it's RWD to a performance advantage....before that, it was all FWD for quite some time....

True...but at least the Brougham and Catera were RWD, not the usual GM FWD generics..