Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

thinking of buying an Achieva :D

I am looking at getting myself some cheap wheels for spring/summer.

Maximum price of $3000 CAD

I would really like an Achieva (1994 or 1995 is my preference). :P

I found an ad on Saturday for a 1994 Achieva S sedan with 160,000 Kilometers for $2200. Called, and a lady told me she had bought a Corolla, and wants to get rid of the Olds pronto. I asked over the phone if its a V6 or 4, but she said she didnt know, she would have to look in the manual <_< (haha women driver).

I came to look at it on Sunday, and was mildly dissapointed.

It is a rock bottom base model. It has the 2.3 OHV I4, 3 speed auto, 14inch wheelcovers, and crank windows.

The best part was, it is Purple Pearl Metallic (a super rare color, and the same as our '95 Lumina!).

Car seemed ok mechanicaly, but had some minor rust, and a lot of broken bits inside. The power doorlocks on both doors dont work, the fuel filler release doesnt work, only the front speakers work (rear are toast probably).

I thought "$1000", but offered $1300 to see what she would say. She said "sure, we can do that." It would include certification.

I said I would give it some thought, and left.

Yesterday she calls me up, and says basically: "You seemed like a nice guy, and I just want to get rid of the car, so I will drop the price to $500! :blink:

My question: WOULD YOU DO IT? (or am I crazy)

pics:

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

Uh... pardon moi, but which Achieva model is fast? :P

If it has no structural rust and a sound drivetrain, what are the real bad points for $500?

These pics have reminded me, this little car has an interesting, horizontal styling motif. It's really not bad looking.

Usually, I can talk just about anyone out of buying a car. :lol:

Hell, my mother is talking my sister out of a new Cobalt and into a new CRV (my mother has offered to buy it for her.) :rolleyes:

Maybe I should get my mother to email you.....................

Uh... pardon moi, but which Achieva model is fast? :P

If it has no structural rust and a sound drivetrain, what are the real bad points for $500?

These pics have reminded me, this little car has an interesting, horizontal styling motif. It's really not bad looking.

I love the styling of the Achieva (and also its pointy nosed Skylark cousin). :)

I would. The Acheiva I used to drive at work went to auction and sold for around $1300. I arrived at the auction too late to make a bid, so I didn't get the chance to agonize whether to put in a bid, but for only $500, I would have done it. The car's not sporty or much fun to drive, but it does get from point A to point B.

Thank you for everyones input :thumbsup:

Well, here's the question: if tomorrow you came across the same car, but V6 & loaded for $1,000 (which doesn't seem that impossible), would you kick yourself for spending $500 on this one?

Thats whats bugging me. I did check out a very nice car not long ago.

It was a blue (royal blue?) 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva SL with the 3.1 V6. 83000 Miles on it (US car). Non smoker car, and loaded. Im talking remote starter, spoiler, fog lamps, alarm system. It had the awesome 17" wheels wraped in Goodyears. It was a mint 1 owner car. The problem was, the engine seemed to idle rough, coughing up some smoke and the suspension seemed out of whack. The guy wanted $2500 CAD firm, and was very unwilling to certify it.

I offered $1700 and walked away.

He attempted to talk me into taking it for $2000, but was still not going to certify, so I said no thanks. :(

pics of that sweet Achieva:

3bb6_20.jpg

3b9b_20.jpg

3bca_20.jpg

Img_2732.jpg

Img_2733.jpg

Img_2734.jpg

Once when I was in New York City a woman was about to jump off the roof of an 10 story building, the crowd below looked up and shouted, do it, do it, jump, jump! :smilewide: Plus it's purple, the color (colour for C eh N eh D eh) of royalty, and we all know I love purple. :P

I have become americanized because of C&G. Its a lovely colour! :yes:

I am looking at getting myself some cheap wheels for spring/summer.

Maximum price of $3000 CAD

I would really like an Achieva (1994 or 1995 is my preference). :P

I found an ad on Saturday for a 1994 Achieva S sedan with 160,000 Kilometers for $2200. Called, and a lady told me she had bought a Corolla, and wants to get rid of the Olds pronto. I asked over the phone if its a V6 or 4, but she said she didnt know, she would have to look in the manual <_< (haha women driver).

I came to look at it on Sunday, and was mildly dissapointed.

It is a rock bottom base model. It has the 2.3 OHV I4, 3 speed auto, 14inch wheelcovers, and crank windows.

The best part was, it is Purple Pearl Metallic (a super rare color, and the same as our '95 Lumina!).

Car seemed ok mechanicaly, but had some minor rust, and a lot of broken bits inside. The power doorlocks on both doors dont work, the fuel filler release doesnt work, only the front speakers work (rear are toast probably).

I thought "$1000", but offered $1300 to see what she would say. She said "sure, we can do that." It would include certification.

I said I would give it some thought, and left.

Yesterday she calls me up, and says basically: "You seemed like a nice guy, and I just want to get rid of the car, so I will drop the price to $500! :blink:

My question: WOULD YOU DO IT? (or am I crazy)

If someone has already addressed this, I'm sorry......

That engine was actually an OHC 2.3L.......it was a single-cam version of the DOHC Quad4.......I remember working with it when I was at Buick. Not sure how durable or reliable it was, but I do remember it being quite unimpressive......just as loud and rowdy as the Quad4, but without the power or performance. Of course I'm sure the 3-speed auto doesn't help......

TED, I too have always liked the Achieva design (btw, the '92 Achieva SC coupe has the distinction of being the very first "new" car I got to take out on a test drive!). The purple one is nice, and for $500/CAD isn't a bad deal, BUT the blue one is so much nicer looking. The aluminium rims, the sportier styling (spoiler, front bumper w/ fog lights), and the color would make me want that one. But you don't want to through your money to waste, and if the seller isn't willing to certify it, must mean that he knows it won't pass. Buyer Beware!

I have a small amount saved up that the wife doesn't know about :booyah: I've been casually looking at each week's Auto Shopper magazine, just browsing. Seeing as how it's extremely unlikely I won't be getting a new 2009/2010 Sierra Crew Cab Z71 4wd, I started looking at early '90s Sierras for sale (I figured one in good condition that I could use for local driving and occasional long-distance runs might work out, while having a family hauler for most of my daily needs). I found a '93 Sierra SL regular cab with 59k on the odo for under $2k. I went to look at it and unfortunately it was 2wd, V6-powered, and was a very base-equipped truck. Though it was nice looking and the dealer was willing to negotiate on the price, I knew if I drove off in it, next week a 4wd/Z71 regular cab SLE would pop up! Patience does pay off in the end, as my dad would say.

Get the one that you truly want is my advice.

DONE!!!!!!

Im getting the car, with plates, e-tested and (hopefully by tommorow) safetied for $500!!!!!

It should be in my possesion by next week!!!!

:pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime:

OMG Im so nervous. This will be my first (personal) car!!!

Please don't abuse it, the last thing I need is calling a tow truck on the way to Barry's Bay on the long weekend. Ted my friends, has a heavy foot, and drives his cars rough. Hopefully the 4 banger with like less-than 100 hp, and 3 speed auto, will take the stresses. The condition is impressive for the money. LOL, I wonder how it's on gas.

Please don't abuse it, the last thing I need is calling a tow truck on the way to Barry's Bay on the long weekend. Ted my friends, has a heavy foot, and drives his cars rough. Hopefully the 4 banger with like less-than 100 hp, and 3 speed auto, will take the stresses. The condition is impressive for the money. LOL, I wonder how it's on gas.

Someone on this site has a heavy foot? NO! I don't believe it. :P

Good luck with it Ted!

Thanks everyone!

Its been a long time comming.

Members Showcase when I get it.

Oh, and for the record, it has 115HP....with 140 foot pounds of torque! And I am a lead foot, but will try and be gentle. :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks everyone!

Its been a long time comming.

Members Showcase when I get it.

Oh, and for the record, it has 115HP....with 140 foot pounds of torque! And I am a lead foot, but will try and be gentle. :AH-HA_wink:

hey ted..... wanna make some more power? :AH-HA_wink: cmon... !

Nitrous.jpg

My goodness! How do you keep from trembling at the thought of such power? j/k :smilewide:

:nono:

I swore I wouldn't get anything less than a V6...but...looking at the positives....

Canadiandriver.com Review:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bm/92-97achieva.htm

The base engine with a 5-speed manual transmission has a city fuel consumption rating of 9.4 L/100 km (30 mpg) and 6.1 L/100 km (46 mpg) on the highway. The other and generally better transmission is a conventional but very reliable three-speed automatic.

:yes:

Ok, I got all worked up....

And now some very bad news.

I am NOT getting this Achieva. :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

I call the woman to ask how the safety went, and she says, and I quote, "good news, I gave the car to the mechanic!"

Im like: WTF!? :lol2:

She explains: Went to her mechanic for certification, and appearantly he said there was about $1000 worth of things wrong with it.

The brakes needed replacing, the turn signal switch was bad, and some other things.

She then proceeed to hand over the car to him, with the "good intension" of sparing me the trouble.

Fantastic! She didn't call to tell me of this (or ask if that was ok with me), untill I called her this morning to find out it was all over. :angry::cussing:

Maybe its for the best, but if she gave away the car to the mechanic, I would have still gladly done maybe a $200 as-is deal or something. UGH!!#%^

And the worst part is, for sure that mechanic will fix it, and have it for sale for $1500. Smart business.

Im VERY dissapointed. I ad been gidy for the last few days....and now...the car search continues....

Lol... :scratchchin::scratchchin::scratchchin:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QQAdIdZ41809068

My grandma's 91 Buick SkyLark

Price: $1,500.00

125k, V6 Auto, Air, Power, great body, eTest, needs cert., new brakes and other maint. It was my grandma's and I don't need a forth vehicle.