thinking of buying an Achieva :D

Maybe it's a good thing... could you really live with a 3-speed?

I'm the first to say the 4 vs. 5,6,8 speed thing is a load of crap, but the only 3-speed I remember riding in was a turbo Spirit and the fact that it didn't have overdrive sucked on the highway!

Edited by AAS

Maybe it's a good thing... could you really live with a 3-speed?

I lived with a 3speed in my wagon. it got 17mpg in a mixed setting, hilly 30-35 and some 55 with barely getting the 3.8L to operating temp.

the one trip i put a larger amount on on it it got closer to 25... with something around...maybe 300-400 lbs in the back of the car. but that was an '83.

• 4 weeks later...
Oh look!!!!! It can hold your cassette tapes for you!!!! Sorry, I had to point that out.

Yet Ironicaly, it has no tape player. <_<

I said no info, but meh...

Its a 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S. It has 154,220 Kilometers (95,827 miles). It has a 3.1 V6. It has power windows, and full guage package. It has many small cosmetic issues (might have a bullet hole!) , but is overall rust free and fairly clean. It has mismatched tires on stock hubcaps.

I already know of someone selling Achieva SL 16" alloy wheels with tires, so that would solve that :thumbsup: .

It fits the bill almost to a tee of what I want. That, and its red :ohyeah:

As-is price: $1695 CAD (negotiable)

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

Is anyone able to run a free carfax? :lol:

I'm the first to say the 4 vs. 5,6,8 speed thing is a load of crap, but the only 3-speed I remember riding in was a turbo Spirit and the fact that it didn't have overdrive sucked on the highway!

Not to change the subject.....but on your above post......there was a very interesting article in my recent AutoWeek about automatic transmissions and dual-clutch transmissions.

It showed alot of data supporting the fact that significant increases in fuel economy were, in fact, achieved by moving from a 4-speed auto to a 5, 6, 7, and even, yes, an 8-speed automatic.

It was a very interesting article.

Basically it said that, due to the fact that DCTs are basically manual transmissions at the core, the same fuel economy realities would most likely not be achieved as in multi-speed automatic transmissions.....and that normal "slushbox" autos with torque converters would most likely remain the overwhelming favorite for mainstream products in the U.S.....leaving DCTs for more "sporting" applications like some of the VW and Audi products, along with the upcoming M3 and Porsche DCTs.....

I love the styling of the Achieva (and also its pointy nosed Skylark cousin). :)

The Achieva was not a bad looking car, saw one on the road the other day and they are quite attractive.

Chris

Yet Ironicaly, it has no tape player. <_<

I said no info, but meh...

Its a 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva S. It has 154,220 Kilometers (95,827 miles). It has a 3.1 V6. It has power windows, and full guage package. It has many small cosmetic issues (might have a bullet hole!) , but is overall rust free and fairly clean. It has mismatched tires on stock hubcaps.

I already know of someone selling Achieva SL 16" alloy wheels with tires, so that would solve that :thumbsup: .

It fits the bill almost to a tee of what I want. That, and its red :ohyeah:

As-is price: $1695 CAD (negotiable)

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

Is anyone able to run a free carfax? :lol:

For the money, perhaps not a bad car at all.

Chris

Thanks for the input!

Im going for it!

I am going to go there today and try to make a deal.

I heard back from the person selling the Achieva SL alloys, $250 for 4 wheels with tires...Insta-upgrade!

They are the same style as in my sig.

Things are falling into place quite well.

Good for you! Might want to look into upgrading the audio though. Surely GM made a stock CD player for those cars...

ETA: I personally prefer OEM stock upgrades because 1) they're visually integrated moreso than an aftermarket, and 2) GM has some of the best ergonomics when it comes to function operation.

Edited by Croc

Good for you! Might want to look into upgrading the audio though. Surely GM made a stock CD player for those cars...

ETA: I personally prefer OEM stock upgrades because 1) they're visually integrated moreso than an aftermarket, and 2) GM has some of the best ergonomics when it comes to function operation.

Completely agree with you Croc. I totally prefer the stock look.

This car having "just" a radio makes a great candidate for a swap.

I would actually go for a cassette player, because I could use my adapter and have beats straight from my MP3 player.

Im actually not sure what works and what doesn't, because I went to look at it while the place was closed, so I didn't actually get inside the car. I hope to have a better idea today.

The Achieva was not a bad looking car, saw one on the road the other day and they are quite attractive.

Chris

The Achieva, in my opinion, has styling elements influenced by some of the best classic Oldsmobiles.

history.jpg

It also looks larger than it is, having its own unique (for an N-body) slimmer greenhouse and more bulbous body, with unique rear doors (Grand Am and Skylark have the same greenhouse and rear doors).

It also has a classy "shrunken Nighty Eight" look.

1991-96-Oldsmobile-Ninety-Eight-91128161

oldsmobile_achieva.jpg

Update:

The car was bad.

Way too many (typical Achieva) problems.

Coolant leak and possibly oil leak, drivers side doorlock broken (cant open manually or with power), turn signal switch completly fried, missing spare tire, interior trim comming loose. UGH :nono:

It did have a power drivers seat (that worked!), and the body was perfect (minus a few small scratches and a dent). It was also fairly clean under the hood. The power windows worked (but not drivers), as well as the power trunk release and fuel filler door.

I calculated at least $2000 worth of repairs (probably more).

As-is price I was offered in the end: around $500

No thanks

The search continues...

A word to the wise when searching for a good used car: the good ones get snapped up quickly. If the vehicle is still rotting in someone's driveway, then the odds are pretty good it isn't worth owning either.

We get calls all the time for 'good' vehicles under $5k. The fact is, they rarely exist. If they were that good, probably the current owner would keep them. Once upon a time, backyard mechanics could keep beaters going for years. Now, it takes $$$ worth of equipment and computer stuff to do that properly.

I know !!!Ted!!! is from around here, and I can safely say that unless you personally know the vehicle, or have the skills (and patience) to work on an older vehicle, any used vehicle that is for sale under $5k is a big risk.

• 4 weeks later...

Achieva search update:

Im going to look at a blue '95 tommorow morning.

It is a V6, power everything S model (with wheels, not hubcaps :thumbsup: ).

Owner claims everything is in working order, including AC. Says he got it from an older couple 2 years ago, and has had no problems with it, but his family has outgrown it.

One catch...the drivers side window is inoperative. :banghead:

As-is special, so Im gonna take a looksee anyhow.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QQAdIdZ53217189

e790_20.JPG

e7cc_20.JPG

BTW, I just missed out on (or did I? hahahha) another $500 1994 Purple Pearl Metallic Achieva. Same as the one that started this thread, but with a spoiler. It sold 3 hours before I got there. Im crazy. :lol:

I do have a project plan in mind...so don't say anything. :yes: :AH-HA_wink:

UPDATE 2:

Saw the car, and liked it alot. Runs great. Everything works, AC blows cold, all power options function. Has remote lock and trunk release working great. Some minor rust along the bottom of the drivers door and a missing reflector on the passenger side rear. The drivers side window motor is dying. That would be the only major issue I found.

The guy is willing to certify and etest, but the plates are already on his new ride. He got a Ford Windstar (has 3 young kids).

If he can't work something out, I will just grab it as-is, and get that taken care of myself.

We will see what happends tommorow. :pbjtime:

I know !!!Ted!!! is from around here, and I can safely say that unless you personally know the vehicle, or have the skills (and patience) to work on an older vehicle, any used vehicle that is for sale under $5k is a big risk.

I have "beater risk capital"!

:jump:

There are some very shady cars out there.

For example:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QQAdIdZ53055902

7092_20.JPG

O RLY? A pre-94 front clip (with chipping paint as a dead giveaway no less!)? :rolleyes: