Cadillac bodystyle for cheap $$$.

Even a middle of the road Duesenberg was affordable and

even the most gorgeous Cord, Auburn, Packard, Hudson or

some other pre-war (coachbuilt) wet-dream was just a

fancy used car.

Now as far as muscle cars, 1950s rocketships & 1960s

Cadillacs/Imperials/Buicks/Pontiacs/Oldsmobiles/Lincolns

the obvious choice would be 1974 durring the peak of the

fuel "shortage". (this OPEC BULL$HIT is nothing new)

More than one reputable source has told me that a cars

like 1969 Camaro ZL1s, 1973 Firebird SD455s, 1970

Buick GSXs & 1971 B'Cuda 426 Hemi convertibles were

deemed just about useless on the open car market,

what being such gas pigs and all they were worth about

101% of scrap value. Right?!

Now as far as muscle cars, 1950s rocketships & 1960s

Cadillacs/Imperials/Buicks/Pontiacs/Oldsmobiles/Lincolns

the obvious choice would be 1974 durring the peak of the

fuel "shortage". (this OPEC BULL$HIT is nothing new)

More than one reputable source has told me that a cars

like 1969 Camaro ZL1s, 1973 Firebird SD455s, 1970

Buick GSXs & 1971 B'Cuda 426 Hemi convertibles were

deemed just about useless on the open car market,

what being such gas pigs and all they were worth about

101% of scrap value. Right?!

That thought has occured to me as well. :AH-HA_wink:

For classic cars, that is.

What year would you most like to travel back to with a suitcase full of money to go car shopping?

Crud ... just one?

Well, 1970 would be tops, followed by 1975 and 1959....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It was worth all the while" ... Green Day ... 'Time Of Your Life'

gonna go with sixty8 and hit smack in the middle of the 70's when gas was short and gas hogs were plentiful and cheap... wonder what a 302 crossram z28 would fetch when gas was the highway robbery price of $.50 hehe $40K worth of cars back then sold now would probably have you on a first name basis with craig jackson hehe

Edited by cletus8269

Gonna have to go with 1955-1959, some of my all time favorite cars were in their prime during those model years. 1955-58 Chrysler letter cars, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere or Fury, 1959 Cadillac or Impala...1956 Chevy Bel Air ( I always thought this was sort of the red headed step child of the tri-five chevies) considering the '55's and '57's are so widely known, I'd take a '56 just to be slightly different. But I'm also a muscle car guy so I'm gonna have to go with 1970 as well. A brand new Challenger to park right beside my '69 Charger as well as a '68-69 442...and $h! I cant even think straight, there's so many things I would buy.

Where to start? 1978. Get a new Impala or Caprice but get them with a 350 not the 305. Get a 1978 Monte Carlo with the 305. Both in the maroon color. Maybe a 1978 Camaro Z-28 in black. Then maybe go to 1990 and get one of the last Caprices before they redesigned it for 1991.

1970. I was born in June of that year... I'd love to have been around then and had serious coin, for the cars and the music. Cars like the '70 Challenger, '70 Cuda, '70 1/2 Camaro and Firebird, '70 Grand Prix, '70 GTO, '70 Mustang Mach 1,'70 Ford XL, '70 Marauder, '70 Cyclone and Torino, etc and the sleek new B- and E- bodies for '71 that came out in the fall ('71 Riviera and Impala in particular) would have definitely got my attention...

1957 - Love the styling. Would buy and own the following in no particular order:

57 Corvette Fuelie

57 Bonneville Convertible Fuelie

57 Chevrolet Convertible Bel Air Fuelie

1957 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with the Sabre Wheels

1957 Buick Roadmaster Convertible - this would be my daily driver! Or a Caballero Wagon for the wife and kids.

57 Oldsmobile J2 Hardtop or Convertible 88.

Pretty much the entire GM Lineup was impressive

Maybe throw in a finned Chrysler letter car - they were also impressive cars at the time.

For Performance: 1969 The Camaro was/is hot (my all time dream car!). The Superbirds were on the lot with a 440, a 6 pack, and a 4 speed Make mine rootbeer brown or Sassy grass green, please. If not available, a Go-Mango one would be different! A 1969 BIG BAD Orange AMX would be fun with a 401 and a 4 speed. Oh, and the chevelles and El Caminos were hot tickets too! Make the Chevelle an SS396 Convertible, please. For a daily driver: A 1969 Impala COPO 427 with the hidden headlights and a set of buckets and a console shifted Auto!

1957 - Love the styling. Would buy and own the following in no particular order:

57 Corvette Fuelie

57 Bonneville Convertible Fuelie

57 Chevrolet Convertible Bel Air Fuelie

1957 Cadillac Eldorado Seville with the Sabre Wheels

1957 Buick Roadmaster Convertible - this would be my daily driver! Or a Caballero Wagon for the wife and kids.

57 Oldsmobile J2 Hardtop or Convertible 88.

Pretty much the entire GM Lineup was impressive

You stole my answer! :lol:

While I would also go back to 1956 to get my hands on a '56 GMC Suburban Carrier pickup and a '56 GMC factory-issued 4WD 100 stepside pickup, 1957 would satisfy many of the GM love affairs I have - '57 Pontiac Star Chief and Bonneville Convertible, '57 Pontiac Safari (Nomad), '57 Chevy Bel-Air Sport Coupe, '57 GMC Suburban Carrier/Suburban Carry-All/'57 100 Deluxe trim 2WD Stepside/'57 100 4WD stepside pickup, '57 Buick Caballero/Century Station Wagon, '57 Olds 98 Sport Coupe/88 J-2 Convertible/Fiesta Station Wagon :drool::drool::drool:

I'd be a happy collector for sure!

'59 or '69, doesn't matter which. I'd die a happy man if I landed in either year with a suitcase full of cash.

'59 If I had to choose, it would be the T-bird. Secondly, probably an Imperial sedan. A Buick convertible - gotta love those knife-edge fins!

'69 Chrysler 300, of course. Probably a convertible. I'd go for a Marauder or an Eldorado. The new Grand Prix were awfully nice, too. :wub:

1955 Almost all makes, GM in particular

1957 Chevy, Ford and Chrysler

1958 Chevy

1959 -1960 Mostly GM

1963 Ford I had one, bought the same one 20 years later

A 1969 Impala COPO 427 with the hidden headlights and a set of buckets and a console shifted Auto!

do i know of a car for you... theres a museum in TN called floyd garretts muscle car museum. inside those hallowed walls sits a 1 of 2 427 copo station wagon... 4 speed... hide aways... and oh yeah, woodgrain panels baby hehe now thats a sleeper.

plus theres this beauty on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-IMPALA...tem160220919302 L72 glory!

1970 hands down... the pinnacle of performance and styling, imo... id take every and any A-Body, a Vette, F-bodies, a brand new Nova, an Impala... 1970 is my favorite year without a doubt

[/quote

Yes, 1970 followed by 1966 followed by perhaps 1955.

Chris

I don't think I can choose, besides, this becomes 2 different questions depending on whether we're going back to snag future collectibles to flip today, or just cars we'd love to own/keep personally.

BTW- gotta love all the love for 1959 here!

I will say '59 also: I could pick up a Buick Invicta coupe (Ooo, already got one!), a Seville, plus '57 Eldorado Brougham & Seville, a '57 Bonne and a Tri-P Super Chief Catalina, a '56 & 57 300 Letter car... plus I should be able to score a brace of Tuckers cheap. There's plenty of others- how about the '55 Gaylord?

Plus, when Mitchell came on board in '59, he tossed a lot of Earl's concept cars- so assuming I could slip a wing-tip into the back door at GM, I would love to grab a '53 LeMans, the '55 LaS roadster, the '55 Delta 88, the '56 Golden Rocket.............

On the other hand, I would be strongly tempted to step into '63 so I could gather an armload of Super Dutys, esp '62-63 GP SDs.

I could list 100 vehicles here........

a museum in TN called floyd garretts muscle car museum.

In Sevierville, right?

If so ... I was there this past November. AWESOME place ... have some pics of some cool cars from there!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"For every heart you break, you pay a price" ... Restless Heart ... 'The Bluest Eyes In Texas'

So many good years to choose from. We do have at least a couple of good years coming yet, though: Solstice GXP Targa, G8 GT, GXP and ST, Camaro flavors, Cobalt SS, HHR SS, Corvette flavors, CTS-V, XLR-V, LaCrosse Super (don't laugh, that thing is fast!), Challenger R/T, SRT-8, Charger R/T, Super Bee and SRT-8, 300C and SRT-8, SRT-4, Mustang GT, Bullit, Cobra, Shelby and KR... have I forgotten anything important?

Oh, I love to spend hours inspecting all the hot cars at a summer Saturday car show, but I am also thankful for what we have now and what we're promised in the next couple of years... before we go to sail-powered, balsa wood runabouts that cause us all to go into comas.

Edited by ocnblu