Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Favorite year?

I'd go back to about 1916 and buy........

- every car at the Simplex dealership for luxury, speed, safety, and style

- Packard Twin Sixes for the same reason

- a few Pierce-Arrow 66's for highway cruising: you might think 9 miles per gallon sounds terrible, but not when the powerplant in question is an 825 cubic inch inline six cylinder monster (largest engine in a production passenger car, NOT the Cadillac 500 like everybody thinks) pulling two tons of car at its top speed of 80 MPH.

-a slightly used Oldsmobile Limited for rollin' in the hood: factory 42 inch rims, dawg!

-Stanley and Doble steamers for when I'm feeling environmentally conscious: water vapor exhaust!

........ and just about everything else from the Brass Era that isn't a Model T. They're all awesome and special.

do i know of a car for you... theres a museum in TN called floyd garretts muscle car museum. inside those hallowed walls sits a 1 of 2 427 copo station wagon... 4 speed... hide aways... and oh yeah, woodgrain panels baby hehe now thats a sleeper.

plus theres this beauty on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-IMPALA...tem160220919302 L72 glory!

Ever go to the Rod Run? (Grand Run)

Geez... This is a hard question. I tend to gravitate toward 1959, 1969 or 1970. But my favorite year really depends on the car itself more than anything.

Last fall I went to Rod Run and found something amazing. First of all, I saw an all original Plymouth Super Bird (Only the 4th one I had ever seen) Even the paint was immaculate. The guy was trying to sell it for right around $100,000 and MUCH to my bewilderment, he had "a barn full of about 10 more" at his house that he was also trying to sell. At first I called :bs: until he showed me the pictures.

I guess maybe his dad had collected them or something :blink: because he seemed to be pretty young. He probably had well over a million dollars worth of cars.

Hell, I'd just like to own one Super Bird, much less 10 or 11.

FWIW, I've always been a fan of this El Camino:

0704_z1959_chevrolet_el_caminored.jpg

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Ever go to the Rod Run? (Grand Run)

Geez... This is a hard question. I tend to gravitate toward 1959, 1969 or 1970. But my favorite year really depends on the car itself more than anything.

Last fall I went to Rod Run and found something amazing. First of all, I saw an all original Plymouth Super Bird (Only the 4th one I had ever seen) Even the paint was immaculate. The guy was trying to sell it for right around $100,000 and MUCH to my bewilderment, he had "a barn full of about 10 more" at his house that he was also trying to sell. At first I called :bs: until he showed me the pictures.

I guess maybe his dad had collected them or something :blink: because he seemed to be pretty young. He probably had well over a million dollars worth of cars.

Hell, I'd just like to own one Super Bird, much less 10 or 11.

FWIW, I've always been a fan of this El Camino:

0704_z1959_chevrolet_el_caminored.jpg

59 Caminos are cool in their own special way, I will probably own one somewhere along the line.

In Sevierville, right?

If so ... I was there this past November. AWESOME place ... have some pics of some cool cars from there!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"For every heart you break, you pay a price" ... Restless Heart ... 'The Bluest Eyes In Texas'

thats the place. they rotate inventory around every so often to keep it fresh. one time we went (we go whenever we are up there) there was a charger daytona and a plymouth superbird nose to nose. theres a re 62 vette in there that was bought for racing but it got disassembled and put into crates. someone bought it and put it back together. the car has never been started. i took a picture of the place card cause i didnt believe it.

Speaking of 1959, it's going to have to be my close runner up as well; pre-war cars are cheap & plentiful and the relatively new machines are fantastic as well. I'd probably buy one of every model of 1959 GM car (and the 1960 models late in the year; I'd love to hop in a time machine and take delivery of one of the first 1960 Eldorado Sevilles off the line in September!), slightly used '57 and '58 Eldorado Broughams, etc. But really any year in which the American people were still passionate about their automobiles (and the rest of the things about their country) and weren't trying to legislate them into obsolescence would be fine with me. It really sucks to watch everything you love and hold dear be watered-down, cheapened, repackaged, and sold off to the highest bidder.

thats the place. they rotate inventory around every so often to keep it fresh. one time we went (we go whenever we are up there) there was a charger daytona and a plymouth superbird nose to nose. theres a re 62 vette in there that was bought for racing but it got disassembled and put into crates. someone bought it and put it back together. the car has never been started. i took a picture of the place card cause i didnt believe it.

I used to know one of the guys that owned that place.

He can be seen on the Barrett-Jackson each year.

Haven't talked to him in a few years though, since he moved.

do i know of a car for you... theres a museum in TN called floyd garretts muscle car museum. inside those hallowed walls sits a 1 of 2 427 copo station wagon... 4 speed... hide aways... and oh yeah, woodgrain panels baby hehe now thats a sleeper.

plus theres this beauty on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-IMPALA...tem160220919302 L72 glory!

Yeah that's in Sevierville, TN. My youngest brother and I make a road trip there once a year. I have even been to Dollywood in past years, since it was just up the road.

thats the place. they rotate inventory around every so often to keep it fresh.

62 vette in there that was bought for racing but it got disassembled and put into crates. someone bought it and put it back together. the car has never been started. i took a picture of the place card cause i didnt believe it.

Wow ... never been started? Holy crap!

I loved my visit there this past November. A few of my favorites that I saw:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...mpala1_jpg.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...mpala2_jpg.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...Camino_jpg.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...mpala1_JPG.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...mpala2_jpg.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200711/RT1...mpala3_jpg.html

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Now you know the truth is in the way you feel inside" ... Johnny Lee and Lane Brody ... 'Yellow Rose Of Texas'

1970 hands down... the pinnacle of performance and styling, imo... id take every and any A-Body, a Vette, F-bodies, a brand new Nova, an Impala... 1970 is my favorite year without a doubt

All I've gotta say is.. f@#k yes.

Well, so much for me defending the new stuff. You guys are right about 1970. Never again will we see such a wide variety of fun stuff to drive. You could order some sort of real performance package in just about every car line that year.

Well, so much for me defending the new stuff. You guys are right about 1970. Never again will we see such a wide variety of fun stuff to drive. You could order some sort of real performance package in just about every car line that year.

Variety? They were all V8 muscle cars. How boring! :P

Variety? They were all V8 muscle cars. How boring! :P

there was more fun on one platform back then then all cars today.. im speaking of the A Body, convertibles, sport sedans, normal family 4 doors, post coupes, hardtops, wagons,..... jeez i need a time machine! and a v8's torque being guided through a rough, loud 4 speed driving a crazy high rear end... 5 mpg, 400HP and no traction on those period correct Bias-Ply tires.... god i love muscle cars! :wub:

Ok. I am kind of the same way. There are a lot of good cars from a lot of years. I actually like the ones I mentioned earlier because to me they are easier to live with then say a 1970. Even though the engines of the late 70's werent as good as say a 1970. Though I probably would take a 1970 Bel-Air on brown to remember my childhood with.