Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Considering buying used...

The wife anad I are currently reviewing our financial status and trying to decide what is the amount we are comfortable paying per month for a new vehicle when the Envoy lease expires soon (August). Of course small and cheap would be best (a loan amount not exceeding $20K), but there isn't much out there she likes at that loan amount (she really wants a 2008 Enclave, CTS, S40/V50, or a VUE, just so you know). We don't have a large enough down payment, so even looking at a $23-$24K MSRP would be stretching it. She's not fond of the Malibu ( :rolleyes: ), so don't suggest that, and we already are leasing an AURA, so that's out of the question.

Anyway, as we were talking yesterday, she brought up looking into a used vehicle. She really liked her 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan and her 2003 Buick Rendezvous CX FWD (both were leased). I haven't found too many GP's (2003) that I'd consider, but have found two 2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL models with just under 30k on the odo, pretty well loaded, and both a tad under $20k in asking price.

So my question is here, how are the 2005 Rendezvous? Our '03 had problems with the sunroof and the tires wearing out around 28k, but other than that it was good. I didn't care much for the 3.4l V6, but the wife was happy with it and this would be her daily driver. Would you recommend a '05 Buick Rendezvous as a used purchase? I need as much input as I can get. A big thanks in advance to all that come to my aid.

I wouldn't consider OE tires wearing out at 28k to be a problem. I got 10k out of the original tires on my CTS. OE tires are notorious for short treadlife so that isn't something I would put much weight on.

If your only other problem was the sunroof, then it sounds like you had a pretty good run with the vehicle. GM's CPO program is pretty decent. I would be confident in such a purchase.

Any of the used Rendezvous that I have sold have made for happy customers. The nice thing about them is that odds are the original owners didn't abuse them or drive the piss out of them, so they have been 'gently' used. They have a decent ride. Okay gas mileage. There were fire sales on them 3 years ago so used ones are pretty cheap.

Thanks for the advice so far. The two I'm looking at are both 2005 MY Rendezvous; one is a CXL, the other is an ULTRA. Not sure if either are FWD or AWD, but that won't factor into the decision either way (ours was a FWD model). Both have heated leather seats, though the ULTRA has suede inserts and memory settings. Both have the HUD (head's-up dislay) option, so that makes me very happy. The CXL is listed with a rear seat DVD system, which will make the wife happy, but the ULTRA has a NAV radio (can anyone tell me how this option works?). The CXL is Black/Gray with Gray interior (just like our '03), the ULTRA is Cappacino Frost with Beige interior (I prefer this color combo more). The best part is both dealers are GM Certified Pre-Owned, so there's reassurance from either Rendezvous. The wife has not yet responded to my e-mails about whether or not she wants to look into either of these two vehicles, but I think she'll want to. The big problem is we're going to the NYIAS next week, so I'm sure she'll feel tortured looking at the cars she really wants to get (Enclave, CTS, S40/V50).

05 aztek

3.4 fwd

20 mpg consistently

84,000 miles

brake job and new tires at about 70,000 (no lie, orignal tires went that long, they just cupped and got noisy for awhile)

no other defects except both front wheel bearings replaced under warranty (including one outside of the 3/36)

i am not kidding when i say, no defects.

it may not have european fit and finish.....but when you buy a good priced vehicle cheap and NEVER have to put any money into it.....you tend to like it.

My main complaints are weak brakes and the front seats break down a bit and lack support and comfort.

i have considered trying to find a rendezvoux for the wife to replace it. maybe an ultra with the 3.6vvt and AWD, but those are RARE.

Edited by regfootball

I got 10k out of the original tires on my CTS.

How's this...? 34K miles on the original 18-inch Bridgestone Potenzas on my CTS....and still going...!!!!

(Of course, they need replacing.....but considering the rainy season is over here, and the beads aren't showing yet, I'm guessing I'll get a solid 40K out of them!!!!!!)

I know you have the 17-inch Sport package, right? What brand tires came on your car? Mine are P225/50R-18 Bridgestone Potenzas......

If the Ultra has the 3.6L its is way better than the 3.4L. Thats what prompted us to trade in the '03 on the '06.

I agree.

I'll be honest.....I'm no fan at all of the Rendezvous.....but if your wife is set on one, and liked her previous one, see if you can stretch and get the Ultra...if ONLY for the engine....

How's this...? 34K miles on the original 18-inch Bridgestone Potenzas on my CTS....and still going...!!!!

(Of course, they need replacing.....but considering the rainy season is over here, and the beads aren't showing yet, I'm guessing I'll get a solid 40K out of them!!!!!!)

I know you have the 17-inch Sport package, right? What brand tires came on your car? Mine are P225/50R-18 Bridgestone Potenzas......

No, I didn't have that package. I had 16s on mine. Cheaper for switching back and forth between snow tires/summer tires twice a year.... and I'm not a wheel size queen.

I had craptastic Goodyears

No, I didn't have that package. I had 16s on mine. Cheaper for switching back and forth between snow tires/summer tires twice a year.... and I'm not a wheel size queen.

I had craptastic Goodyears

I'm surprised you only got 10K on them......I guess you do drive the piss off of it.

I'm not a wheel size queen either.....but there's no debating the 18's fill out the wheel wells WAY better......especially in the hind end where the rear quarter panels are pretty thick from top to bottom due to the styling.....

Something we haven't discussed.......perhaps my car having 18s on it versus your 16s has a way more detrimental effect on fuel economy than we thought.....not to mention the Bridgestones are way gummier and stickier....(non M/S tires on my car.)

I'm surprised you only got 10K on them......I guess you do drive the piss off of it.

I'm not a wheel size queen either.....but there's no debating the 18's fill out the wheel wells WAY better......especially in the hind end where the rear quarter panels are pretty thick from top to bottom due to the styling.....

Something we haven't discussed.......perhaps my car having 18s on it versus your 16s has a way more detrimental effect on fuel economy than we thought.....not to mention the Bridgestones are way gummier and stickier....(non M/S tires on my car.)

Could be. I had Yokohama Avid Touring or Dunlop WinterSports on it.

I didn't mind the 16s on my car because it was black. I don't think I could have gotten away with it in any other color.

I agree.

I'll be honest.....I'm no fan at all of the Rendezvous.....but if your wife is set on one, and liked her previous one, see if you can stretch and get the Ultra...if ONLY for the engine....

i think the size of the rendezvoux was nice, lexus RX sized....i still think buick needs a 2 row. (2 1/2 row). the enclave is quite a bit bigger.

Bridgestones tend to last surprisingly long. We have a pair of Turanzas in the front and a pair of BFGs in the back (one of the rear Turanzas had a flat after 25K, so we replaced both with new BFGs, thinking they would wear sooner), and even though the Turanzas now have 45K and the BFGs just 20K, the BFGs are completely worn out while the Turanzas have a while to go. Both are treadwear rated 400.

Bridgestones tend to last surprisingly long. We have a pair of Turanzas in the front and a pair of BFGs in the back (one of the rear Turanzas had a flat after 25K, so we replaced both with new BFGs, thinking they would wear sooner), and even though the Turanzas now have 45K and the BFGs just 20K, the BFGs are completely worn out while the Turanzas have a while to go. Both are treadwear rated 400.

Bridgestones? I wonder how they would wear on the Cobalt....

3.6 was an option on the ultra for a couple years. very few made. i bet they were hard to find.

for me, something like the taurus x now having a 260+ hp motor means not neccessarily needing to hunt down a rendzevox ultra.

It's funny you say that-I just saw an Ultra with the 3.6 yesterday...

They're out there somewhere...

A very solid vehicle, overall. The 3.4L does have the well known intake gasket/bolt, etc. issues that drive people nuts and away from GM when they aren't aware of the problem, and keep running oil & coolant together until it blows, but that can be dealt with and has been said to have been fixed on later 3.4L's.

The Ultra, though, is the BEST Rendezvous ever made, with the 3.6L, all one color, nice wheels, interior touches, and what I like most. Otherwise, I would also look into some '06-07 CX/CXL models that had the newer 3.5L with more power (anything helps, as the 3.4L wasn't bad...but far from lively in the Rendezvous), OR the rare optional 3.6L on CXL trims.

That'd be my order:

1) '04-06 Ultra with the 3.6L

2) '05-06 CXL with the 3.6L

3) '06-07 CX/CXL with the 3.5L

4) '05+ others, 3.4L, etc.

An ex boss bought an '03 CXL with the 3.4L that was great, despite her lack of upkeep (well...maintenance was done, but horrifically dirty, tons of miles, etc.), and my grandfather bought an '03 CX 5-seater (PERFECT for him...and exactly what he wanted) from his neighbor with 50k on it. No problems and drives much nicer than the mint Aerostar it replaced, aside from winter/all season luggy tires the neighbor put on it which hurt the ride and noise...weirdest thing. Otherwise, all original, aside from having more than one set of wheel bearings (from reading...another VERY common Rendezvous/Aztek thing, for whatever odd reason), all is well. No engine work yet, but I warned him of the intake gasket and he's watching it.

Well, we went to see the '05 ULTRA model yesterday. The wife was accepting of this concept (buying used), at least until she slept on it. She became a little conscience about what her co-workers would "think" about her not buying a brand new car :rolleyes: But she wanted to see the Buick anyway. We got to the dealership - a Buick/Pontiac/GMC + Saturn & Cadillac next door - and immediately she caught the all-new 2009 Vibes they had on the lot, so we checked those out first. Next were some 2008 Torrents, which she stated she did not like. While looking at the Torrents, someone drives by in a 2008 VUE XE, and that's when she states she really likes the VUE the best. Since we drove the VUE about a month ao, we just cruise by them to see the colors & trim lines available on the lot. We then pull around to the Buick, which happened to be unlocked. As soon as she opened the door, the persecution began - stains on the floor, seats, and dash/console; scratches on the dash & radio/hvac faceplates; chrome rims that showed some ago. Her comment was "No way in h%$# am I spending that kind of money for used over new - and this is why I want to buy a new car." So we decided that since she really likes the VUE - first time she's bothered to tell me what she really likes - I think we'll wait and see what deals are offered over the next couple of months.

On a side note, I have a test-drive offer from Ford that I got at the Philly Auto Show that not only allows me to drive a Ford of my choice hassle-free (yeah right! :rolleyes: ), I also get a $75 MasterCard gift card for my time. We stopped by the local Ford dealership after Easter mass Sunday morning and looked at what they had that might interest her. Well, there was an Edge Limited FWD on the lot unlocked - she wants to look into that now too. So the 2008 VUE XR FWD and the 2008 Edge SEL FWD are on her radar, the Vibe no longer is. At least until we go to the NYIAS on Tuesday :lol:

Well, we went to see the '05 ULTRA model yesterday. The wife was accepting of this concept (buying used), at least until she slept on it. She became a little conscience about what her co-workers would "think" about her not buying a brand new car :rolleyes: But she wanted to see the Buick anyway. We got to the dealership - a Buick/Pontiac/GMC + Saturn & Cadillac next door - and immediately she caught the all-new 2009 Vibes they had on the lot, so we checked those out first. Next were some 2008 Torrents, which she stated she did not like. While looking at the Torrents, someone drives by in a 2008 VUE XE, and that's when she states she really likes the VUE the best. Since we drove the VUE about a month ao, we just cruise by them to see the colors & trim lines available on the lot. We then pull around to the Buick, which happened to be unlocked. As soon as she opened the door, the persecution began - stains on the floor, seats, and dash/console; scratches on the dash & radio/hvac faceplates; chrome rims that showed some ago. Her comment was "No way in h%$# am I spending that kind of money for used over new - and this is why I want to buy a new car." So we decided that since she really likes the VUE - first time she's bothered to tell me what she really likes - I think we'll wait and see what deals are offered over the next couple of months.

On a side note, I have a test-drive offer from Ford that I got at the Philly Auto Show that not only allows me to drive a Ford of my choice hassle-free (yeah right! :rolleyes: ), I also get a $75 MasterCard gift card for my time. We stopped by the local Ford dealership after Easter mass Sunday morning and looked at what they had that might interest her. Well, there was an Edge Limited FWD on the lot unlocked - she wants to look into that now too. So the 2008 VUE XR FWD and the 2008 Edge SEL FWD are on her radar, the Vibe no longer is. At least until we go to the NYIAS on Tuesday :lol:

Wait? The Vibe was on her list?

So... wait. She's concerned about status.... but gravitates towards a Vibe over a Rendezvous Ultra?

Wait? The Vibe was on her list?

No, it was not. Even though she saw it on the display twice at the Philly Auto Show in February (2nd & 9th), she never paid much attention to it (she was too overcome by the Volvo S40/V50 R-Design models and the Enclaves there). Seeing it on the dealer's lot Saturday, now she noticed it. However, as she was checking it out, she said it reminded her of the VUE. When I asked her if she'd still be happy with it 3 months after initially buying it, her response was "not compared to the VUE". So it was on the list, for about 15 minutes :lol:

So... wait. She's concerned about status.... but gravitates towards a Vibe over a Rendezvous Ultra?

Well, not status as in luxury car to everyman's car. The cars at the pharmecutical company she works at in Princeton range from lowly Toyota Corolla's up to the CEO's Mercedes collection! She's concerned that if she were to buy "used", people may question why she didn't get used (to her, what other's think/perceive is important to her :rolleyes: ). And while I am open here that we've been financially unresponsible in the past and are trying to make a change, she is more private at work about our business (they don't even know I sold the SKY due to our financial situation- at her holiday party in December <a week after I sold the car>, I had to smile and talk about how much I love it and can't wait for spring again to drive it, even though it was like a knife was being stabbed in my chest). So while a Vibe or VUE doesn't = luxury status, a new car means we have money to spend I guess <_<

Well, she's now added a new vehicle to her "wish" list - the Ford Edge SEL or Limited FWD. We test drove a SEL FWD model last night and she was very impressed with the ride, handling, performance, features & options, and overall size. Of course she really wants the $33k Limited FWD that was in the showroom, that had the awesome factory-optional 20" chrome rims and Vista panaromic sunroof :rolleyes: She wants to do something now, but I told her that paying 4 months of lease payments would eat up 50% of our downpayment cash is not the best thing to do. Plus I want to see how incentives for all the vehicles she wants get better as the year progresses (I think Memorial Day and Fourth of July sales will be better than what's being offered now). The benefit is that I get to keep the Envoy a tad bit longer, we can try to save up some more cash for a down payment, and if the incentives are better like they usually are in the summer months, then we really benefit in the long run.

So, an up-to-date list of what she likes, not in her perferred order:

1. 2008 Ford Edge SEL or Limited FWD

2. 2008 Saturn VUE XR FWD

3. 2008 Volvo S40 or V50, or if possible, an S60 sedan

4. 2008 Chevy Malibu (after sitting in it at the NYIAS on Tuesday, she said if she goes "car", she'll give the Malibu a chance)

5. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT

Anyone care to provide insight on any of the above vehicles, that I could share with her to aid in her decision making process?

1. 2008 Ford Edge SEL or Limited FWD - If you're spending 33k and buying an Edge over a new CTS you need your head examined.

2. 2008 Saturn VUE XR FWD - Don't have enough knowledge about it. It looks attractive enough.

3. 2008 Volvo S40 or V50, or if possible, an S60 sedan - this would impress the Princeton set the most out of this list. By virtue of her job and my knowing Princeton, I have an idea where she works.

4. 2008 Chevy Malibu (after sitting in it at the NYIAS on Tuesday, she said if she goes "car", she'll give the Malibu a chance) - the most financially prudent of the list and a great car to boot.

5. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Do you really want to drive a rebadged Corolla wagon that can get pwned by Grandpa in his '02 LeSabre?