Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

New Mercury Capri?

27 posts in this topic

For the love of god Ford, throw Mercury any scraps you can. That brand has been starving for four long years now.

Rendered Speculation: Ford Capri reborn?

Well look at that, the quarter panel vent from the new Focus can look good! No need to complain yet that this is but another Ford we'll never see, as it may not happen on any continent. Auto Bild has gone to press with shots of a new Mercury Capri concept that is rumored to be the work of an extremely skilled PhotoChopper. We're also unsure if the details they cite about the car being a sub-3,000 pound 2+2 with 140-250 horsepower and a production date of 2012 are fanciful or rooted in truth, but none of that matters. This thing is off the hook to our puppy-dog enthusiastic eyes. Mercury has nothing badass in its lineup, and while it'd be weird to be proffering this car with KISS makeup next to an entire lineup of handsomized Fords, we think it might be a way for Ford to reel in some new blood to the brand. Just don't call it Cougar. Cougars drive Mercurys - though probably while smoking Capris. Call it whatever, just put it on sale.

01yr9.jpg

02ol6.jpg

http://carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=15191

I hope Ford does something wonderful to Mercury. They are a rapidly dying brand, sadly.

Bring back the Capri or Cougar. The last Cougar was a disaster. I miss the generation before that--I wanted one so badly!

Throw Mercury a bone or put it out of its misery, Ford. You've been starving it long enough.

If a new Capri is built and remains faithful to the concept of the original, then like the '99 Ford Cougar will be based on a Mondeo. After all, the original was based on the Cortina.

The last Cougar was a disaster.

Was it? I'm really uninformed about this car. I rode in one about a month back for the first time. It seemed like a pretty nice car for a Ford. I'd actually think about getting one if I were in the market for a little coupe. Were the sales not where they should have been or what?

The Ford (aka Mercury) Cougar failed in Europe for several reasons:

- the engines were lifted straight from the Mondeo. No bad thing, but they weren't as powerful as those in rival coupes such as Fiat's awesome Coupe Turbo.

- there were only two engine choices and no turbodiesel version, putting it at a distinct disadvantage against rivals such as the Peugeot 406 coupe.

- the interior crumbled to the touch. We had a '99 example and within a year, the rubber seals were coming away from the doors and various rattles were becoming more numerous.

- it was easily outhandled by the razor-sharp smaller, Fiesta-based Puma.

- residuals were poor as demand quickly waned.

A shame, because this was a good-looking car which Ford failed to capitalise upon. An RS model, even in limited quantities, would have really helped this car's appeal.

I think there is a place for both a Capri and Cougar. The Cougar doesn't have to be a Mustang with a Cougar badge or anything; it could be the less retro / more modern counterpart to the Mustang with some heritage details like sequential taillights, and it should be more powerful. Originally I would have said offer a V8 only, but with gas the way it is and EcoBoost on the way, the Cougar should be more powerful than base Mustangs and the GT, and maybe a Cougar Eliminator with power on-par with the Shelby GT500.

The Capri would be a good little car to compete with the Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky and possibly the Dodge Demon if it ever comes. Finally Mercury would have a unique product, and they could justify making it more upscale by badging it as Mercury.

Was it? I'm really uninformed about this car. I rode in one about a month back for the first time. It seemed like a pretty nice car for a Ford. I'd actually think about getting one if I were in the market for a little coupe. Were the sales not where they should have been or what?

I had a banana yellow 6 cylinder with a stick for about a month as a company car...wasn't the greatest, but the idea of having a unique Merc product is a sound one, IMO.

The rendering reminds me of the recent Reflex? show car--which was based on Fiesta componentry, IIRC. Perhaps the new Fiesta will spawn derivatives that could be marketed as Mercs?

i dont like the euro FWD Capri the us got, but i LOVE the Fox Capri :drool:

RSfront1.jpg

RSfront1.jpg

The US never had a FWD Capri from Europe - that car, exported to the USA in the 1970's, used the underpinnings of the RWD Ford Cortina. The 1991 FWD Capri was Australian, although its design was heavily influenced by Ford's own 1983 Ghia Barchetta. The Barchetta was created at Ford's Italian Ghia design studios in conjunction with Bertone, and used the platform, mechanicals and interior fittings of the mk1 Ford Fiesta XR2.

RSfront1.jpg

My uncle had one of those.

RSfront1.jpg

I had a 79 4cyl turbo version of one of these.

It was my second car. Not too bad for the time.

sorry for being an idiot, i thought the austrailian one was from europe.. oops! either way, the fox body one is suhweet.... :drool:

One of the main reasons that the 1998-2004(?) Cougar didn't do well was simply the way the project was managed. After all, the last place most people would go to get a small, sporty, european coupe would be a Mercury-Lincoln dealership. Truthfully, it was the same problem that the same dealers had when the original Capri was brought to the US. GM encountered the same problem when they brought the Opel Manta to Buick dealerships in the 70's. Ford did some advertising for the Cougar, but most of it was focused at enthusiasts and not the general public much. I know they had a couple of Cougar concepts and even SEMA cars after the launch, but I don't know if they ever even aired a simple television commercial. Unfortunately, most enthusiasts were offended by the usage of the Fabled Cougar name and didn't want anything to do with it. Basically, most of it is that Ford didn't really tell people enough about it or where to find one, and thus they didn't sell as well as expected.

As for the other Capris, the original is still a great car although they are kinda hard to find in the US (In the UK they're a cult classic). The Fox Capri I don't really like, mostly because it's a rebadged Mustang. It's a great light, powerful car, but still mostly a rebadge. The Fox was also more about power than the more agile Ur-Capri. The Aussie Capri was straight-out crap. It was a convertible, but had no performance potential at all (The Miata wiped the floor with it). It was also totally lacking in any kind of luxury, so it was essentially a convertible model with no other purpose than being able to raise and lower the roof.

Funny how people think of vastly different cars when they hear the name "Capri".

The sporty little Eurocar from the '70s isn't the original, by the way.

The name was used on a giant hulk of a chromed-out Lincoln in the '50s. Think inverted bathtub in pink, white , and black tricolor slathered with about two tons of chrome.

From that to the Eurocar, to the Fox body, to the Aussie vert thing. All wore the Capri moniker.

Talk about an identity crisis.

Funny how people think of vastly different cars when they hear the name "Capri".

The sporty little Eurocar from the '70s isn't the original, by the way.

The name was used on a giant hulk of a chromed-out Lincoln in the '50s. Think inverted bathtub in pink, white , and black tricolor slathered with about two tons of chrome.

From that to the Eurocar, to the Fox body, to the Aussie vert thing. All wore the Capri moniker.

Talk about an identity crisis.

When I think of Capri, I think of that Italian island in the Med - which is where Ford of Britain took the name from for the original Consul Capri.

i think of a fox body capri wheels up on the street... seen this one particular example do it a few times :wub:

Bring back the Capri or Cougar. The last Cougar was a disaster. I miss the generation before that--I wanted one so badly!

You and me both, Pauli!

69-70 was the best era for the Cougar. guy over near Dayton has a yellow 69 or 70 Cougar Eliminator that he new in 70 and still has, also has a blue 69 ragtop.

Sweet cars from an era we will never see the likes of again, methinks.

Chris

i think of a fox body capri wheels up on the street... seen this one particular example do it a few times :wub:

...and you alughed when I told you a fox body could be a nice stable mate for the Nova.

Chris

The early 70's Euro Capri (like the one at the bottom of the page in the o.p.) was one of the best driving cars of its era, just really sweet. Had a buddy from college that had one, gren over tan, nice car.

Ford should bring THAT back!

Chris

...and you alughed when I told you a fox body could be a nice stable mate for the Nova.

Chris

oh i WILL own a fox body some day, but it wont be a daily driver, it will be a wheels up drag car :smilewide:

....fake cars drivew the front wheels, real cars lift them in the air, eh!

You could always drop a Chevy Motor in one, we had one out here that ran under the name "Pony with a Heartbeat"

Seriously, the Mustang racers are a great group of guys and you would enjoy them.

Chris

every friday/saturday night when the weathers decent i hang out at the local cruise spots, most guys i get along with the mustang guys... awesome people... i get in the fun "chevy vs ford" fights, but theyre really cool in general

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room