Edmunds Drives Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo

Z-06

<h2 align="left">Linkity</h2>

The Cobalt Gets Its 15 Minutes[/size]

By Erin Riches, Senior Editor

Email Date posted: 03-24-2008

We come to our first serious corner on Glendora Mountain Road, and the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe delivers the unexpected. It turns into a tight left-hander with the haste and hunger of an import sport compact. Perhaps most surprising of all, it gives the impression of being happy to do it.

Instead of savoring the moment, we get back on the throttle. We hear the euphoric sigh of the turbocharger, followed by a throbbing exhaust note out the back. The sounds are distinct even to the distracted ear, and they refuse to harmonize. It's an old-school touch in a car full of new-school kit, and you realize there's quite a bit going on with the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS.

It's an odd feeling, because with that familiar Chevy face and Pro Stock-size rear wing, you wonder if you're getting behind the wheel of last year's car. But give this 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe an hour of your time on a good road and it takes you somewhere completely different.

Not the Same Old SS

The only hard visual evidence that we're driving a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS is the blacked-out grille and set of new 18-by-7.5-inch wheels (0.5 inch wider than before).

Of course, then we go poking around under the Cobalt's hood and find the turbocharger that engineers from the GM Performance Division (GMPD) have secreted away in the back, which replaces the supercharger that used to be under the SS's hood. In addition, the 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder gets continuously variable timing for its intake and exhaust valves this year. This turbocharged, intercooled Ecotec with direct fuel injection is the same engine introduced by the 2008 Chevy HHR SS.

The output gains over the former supercharged Ecotec are substantial. The 2.0-liter turbo develops 260 horsepower at 5,300 rpm and 260 pound-feet of torque at only 2,000 rpm. Compare this to 205 hp at 5,600 rpm and 200 lb-ft of torque way up at 4,000 for the supercharged Ecotec in the '07 Cobalt SS. Larger driveshafts and wheel bearings have been fitted to cope with the upgrade.

EPA estimates say the '08 Cobalt SS gets 22 mpg city/30 mpg highway. The Cobalt SS is available only with a five-speed manual gearbox, and we suspect that the six-speed manual isn't up to the torque loads. The car's final-drive ratio is also taller, now 3.82:1 versus 4.05:1.

I Wanna Go Fast

The people who built the 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS just want to go fast. You can tell, because other than the 2008 Chevrolet HR SS, this is the only car under $25,000 that has launch control.

You pull the Cobalt SS onto the drag strip and switch the stability control into competition mode. At this point, the DIC (GM's awkward way of saying "Driver Information Center") flashes the happy message: "Launch Control." You put the clutch in, select 1st gear and push the gas pedal to the floor. The Cobalt's computer will immediately rev the engine to 5,100 rpm, and all you have to do is work the clutch. But you can't side-step it; you have to release it progressively but quickly. Get it right and the Cobalt SS makes a getaway with enough authority to churn the contents of your stomach.

To ensure the clutch has a shot at surviving the five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty period, the GMPD engineers tell us that they installed the largest, most robust clutch that would possibly fit and even downsized the flywheel to accommodate it. The engineers also did 600 launches on a single test car to verify their work.

For all its entertainment value, launch control is not the quickest way off the line, largely because it can't perfectly match wheelspin to actual surface conditions. Better acceleration numbers are possible with a less dramatic launch between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm that minimizes wheelspin.

Faster Than a Mazdaspeed 3

The 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS uses up just 5.8 seconds accelerating to 60 mph, and it goes through the quarter-mile in 14 seconds flat at 103 mph. This is a night-and-day improvement over the supercharged Cobalt SS, which couldn't break 7 seconds for 60 mph and ran a 15.2-second quarter at 95.6 mph. In fact, the '08 Cobalt SS is, for the moment, the quickest car you can buy under $25,000.

Even the Mazdaspeed 3 can't keep pace with this Cobalt, as it posts a quarter-mile of 14.2 seconds at 100.1 mph and 14.5 at 98.7 mph. The Chevy's main advantage is that it weighs 200 pounds less. Also, you can upshift in the SS without lifting.

We're serious. GMPD created a "No-Lift Shift" software algorithm that kicks in when you're at full throttle and press in the clutch. It manipulates the engine's variable cam phasing and retards the ignition timing so the cylinder contents burn later in the cycle than they usually would, creating more energy to help the turbocharger maintain boost.

You have 3/10ths of a second to complete your shift while maintaining 95-100 percent throttle; otherwise, you experience a normal upshift with an interruption in boost. Our hottest shoes can execute a gearchange in half this time, so it's not hard to meet the time limit.

One Notch Down From Full Kill

Handling is the other half of the story about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, which marks a shift in thinking for the chassis engineers at GM. This midcycle makeover represents a joint effort with Opel Performance Center (OPC), the tuner division of Opel that created the Astra VXR, and the upshot is that GMPD recalibrated the damping. There's more compression damping than before, but the rebound damping hasn't been dialed up a commensurate amount, so the car feels far more supple in the European style.

You feel this immediately in the '08 SS. The suspension doesn't isolate you from the corners, but instead lets you feel them while dispatching them in a controlled fashion. No matter how or where we drive this Chevrolet Cobalt, it feels highly composed but never harsh. The fact that we're saying this about a car with a torsion-beam rear suspension makes it all the more remarkable.

Roll stiffness has been increased by about 30 percent on the 2008 Cobalt SS, too, largely thanks in part to revised steering knuckles that change the front suspension geometry to raise the roll center — this effectively makes for a stiffer front end. Other upgrades include new lower control arms, stiffer antiroll bars, revised coil spring rates and wider 225/40R18 Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires.

While fine-tuning the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, GMPD chassis engineers kept a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII around the garage. They describe that car as "always being on full kill." The plan was to make this Cobalt "one notch down from full kill."

Show Us Your Numbers

Our Cobalt has the optional Torsen-type limited-slip differential (an absolute must with this much torque), and it works quite well with the car's standard brake-lock differential. Understeer is inevitable if you dive into a corner too hot, but it no longer defines the character of the Cobalt SS.

The 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS is nearly 2 mph quicker through the slalom than the old model, averaging 69.2 mph. The last Mazdaspeed 3 we tested went through at 69.3 mph, while the Saturn Astra, which shares the Cobalt's chassis but not its power, manages 69.1 mph. There's little difference in skid pad performance between the new SS and the old: 0.89g versus 0.87g. Here again, the Mazdaspeed 3 and Astra turn in numbers that are nearly identical to this.

Steering remains electric on the 2008 SS, and GMPD has quickened the steering ratio to 14.8:1. Really, you can't even tell it's electric, and we mean that in a good way.

Even the Cobalt's brakes impress us. The rotors are an inch larger front and rear on the '08 SS, and the rear discs are now vented instead of solid. And you can't miss the four-piston Brembo calipers up front. There's still a dead zone at the top of the pedal travel, but the pedal firms up nicely during harder efforts. Our best 60-to-0 stop at the test track is 115 feet. We've measured a Mazdaspeed 3 as short as 113.

Here's the Problem: Looks Matter

We can't stop talking about how well the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe drives. GMPD has made up serious ground in the sport-compact wars with the 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS. This car is quicker than a Mazdaspeed 3. And the price difference is all of $20.

This is when we feel a twinge of sadness. The Cobalt SS has become a surprisingly cool car, but cool kids aren't going to give it a chance. The SS is stuck in a Cavalier-style body that just doesn't resonate with them. Poor interior packaging and down-market furnishings make it worse.

A full-blown Chevrolet Cobalt SS sedan is coming for 2009, and we expect that body style will prove more popular. But if it were up to us, we'd put all this stuff on the five-door Saturn Astra. Call it a VXR. Call it a Red Line. Either way, it'll outsell the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS coupe.

The manufacturer provided Edmunds this vehicle for the purposes of evaluation.

I'm seriously tempted by this car.

I think the exterior looks sharp, I LOVE the new wheels, and what's not to love about 260 boosted hp?

I just WISH the interior were way better (a la Astra).......but as it is, this car is a performance-car steal. I'm betting once C&D or MT get their hands on one, we'll see performance numbers better than what Edmunds got. If I remember correctly, I thought the buff mags were able to get the old SC car to 60 in under 6 secs.....depending on traction, I'd bet we'll see numbers more like 0-60 in 5.3-5.5.......

It's amazing what a little attention to the body and wheels does for a car. While pedestrian Cobalts look almost Toyota-bland to me (or even blander) I've seen a couple of rentals recently that were actually Sport models......and the car looks much more substantial......

I think people might be surprised- I think it should sell fine...

BUT-They seriously need to do something with this car-NOW.

My 06 Has the same wheel covers as the 08s.... :nono:

Just a new radio and steerling wheel..that's all? :blink:

Yeah, they did that with the Cavalier too......

And I thought the Astra RL was coming out next year?

I think the exterior looks sharp, I LOVE the new wheels, and what's not to love about 260 boosted hp?

I just WISH the interior were way better (a la Astra).......but as it is, this car is a performance-car steal. I'm betting once C&D or MT get their hands on one, we'll see performance numbers better than what Edmunds got. If I remember correctly, I thought the buff mags were able to get the old SC car to 60 in under 6 secs.....depending on traction, I'd bet we'll see numbers more like 0-60 in 5.3-5.5.......

It's amazing what a little attention to the body and wheels does for a car. While pedestrian Cobalts look almost Toyota-bland to me (or even blander) I've seen a couple of rentals recently that were actually Sport models......and the car looks much more substantial......

:yes:

I really do like this car, it sounds like a real performer in both handling and power yet gets good fuel economy. While the exterior and interior aren't exactly fresh or (in the interior's case) very good, I'd much rather the money they sent go to performance than to making the interior baby-butt soft. Plus the (what looks like) black on white interior is pretty slick looking.

I'm also glad that they finally put nice wheels on the Cobalt, the other wheel designs are nasty.

GM has done the right thing. As proven by the Aura and Outlook, Saturn simply doesn't have the dealer body or the name to sell anything in volume. The Cobalt SS is the right car for this. My neighbor's kid has a '07 Cobalt LT coupe with the black leather interior and I can say that there is nothing wrong with the interior of this car. In LS form it is a little cheap, but the higher models are nicer - as is usually the case with all makes.

GM has done the right thing. As proven by the Aura and Outlook, Saturn simply doesn't have the dealer body or the name to sell anything in volume. The Cobalt SS is the right car for this. My neighbor's kid has a '07 Cobalt LT coupe with the black leather interior and I can say that there is nothing wrong with the interior of this car. In LS form it is a little cheap, but the higher models are nicer - as is usually the case with all makes.

Agreed. The ASTRA is clearly a better car than the Cobalt, but I'd rather see this performance first from a Chevy than a Saturn. The Cobalt SS already has a following and the prerequisite dealer/customer base.

Edited by empowah

And I thought the Astra RL was coming out next year?

Unless you know something I don't, there aren't any confirmed product changes for the Astra. There is talk of the 1.4L turbo... sometime... maybe. The next gen Astra is coming in a couple years or so... That's all we know that I'm aware of. I personally expect little change in the current gen Astra, but a lot of change come next gen.

I'm tempted by it also.

Glad to see Chevy build such a cool car. And oh yeah, Oldsmoboi, your right it def. deserves to wear the SS badge.

Chris

Unless you know something I don't, there aren't any confirmed product changes for the Astra. There is talk of the 1.4L turbo... sometime... maybe. The next gen Astra is coming in a couple years or so... That's all we know that I'm aware of. I personally expect little change in the current gen Astra, but a lot of change come next gen.

I was pretty sure that they were going to push the RL...though I guess some of that is going to depend on the sales of the Astra...

This vehicle is perfect without the spoiler. I want to be a boy-racer again. Screw the quality which Edmunds harps about. The interior is not as depressing about the tactile feel of being "cheap", exterior is everybody's personal taste. It is no where near unintegrated like the Cavalier though to which they compare.

I hope GM(E) does not add 200-300 lb to Delta II to make it have more "European" feel like the Vue.

Cobalts do have some cult, race following. Ecotec is one hell of an engine.

What about offering factory (dealer-installed) appearance upgrades - more agressive front/rear grill and bumpers, skirt kits, an array of spoilers, etc. Maybe even offer performance upgrades - suspension, larger intercoolers/turbos, perfomance chips, etc - sorta the way Scion does with their cars, only with a decent product as the base?

-RBB

What about offering factory (dealer-installed) appearance upgrades - more agressive front/rear grill and bumpers, skirt kits, an array of spoilers, etc. Maybe even offer performance upgrades - suspension, larger intercoolers/turbos, perfomance chips, etc - sorta the way Scion does with their cars, only with a decent product as the base?

-RBB

Apparently you haven't visited a Chevy dealer recently. There are parts readily available to boost the ecotec to 400 hp, lots of upgrade parts and even monochromatic plastic parts to change the look of the interior, spoilers, etc.

The real issue is that the SS is supposed to be an affordable sports car. Besides, ever look at the inside of a '67 Chevelle? Or a '69 Challenger? Not exactly loaded luxuries in their day, either.

Apparently you haven't visited a Chevy dealer recently. There are parts readily available to boost the ecotec to 400 hp, lots of upgrade parts and even monochromatic plastic parts to change the look of the interior, spoilers, etc.

The real issue is that the SS is supposed to be an affordable sports car. Besides, ever look at the inside of a '67 Chevelle? Or a '69 Challenger? Not exactly loaded luxuries in their day, either.

You cannot get an otherwise stock LSJ to 400 HP on ANYTHING without blowing a piston and overheating the block. That particular supercharger has an absolute ton of heat soak and will not do well much past GMPPs Stage 2 kit (NOTE: GMPP Stage 3 incorporates methanol injection for its cooling properties and voids the factory powertrain warranty). Furthermore, without doing somewhat extensive valvetrain work, you won't be getting a 400 HP Ecotec. And I guarantee they don't stock cams and valve springs at your local dealer. :AH-HA_wink:

You cannot get an otherwise stock LSJ to 400 HP on ANYTHING without blowing a piston and overheating the block. That particular supercharger has an absolute ton of heat soak and will not do well much past GMPPs Stage 2 kit (NOTE: GMPP Stage 3 incorporates methanol injection for its cooling properties and voids the factory powertrain warranty). Furthermore, without doing somewhat extensive valvetrain work, you won't be getting a 400 HP Ecotec. And I guarantee they don't stock cams and valve springs at your local dealer. :AH-HA_wink:

I am gonna get one with Turbo and then I will race with your "inferior" SC on the potholed Gratiot avenue. Unless you Turbo the motor just like you mentioned, in your wet dreams. <_<

• 5 weeks later...

Once you remove the heaton you most certainly can make 400 hp on a stock LSJ engine . There are 4 guys over the 400 hp mark now in daily driven cars using turbochargers , 2 of them DO have a ported head and valvetrain work , the other 2 are stock engines . Once you remove the blowdryer heat pump , the 05-07 Cobalt SS is completely different ballgame ;)

Looks like Chevy adressed just about any gripe a 05-07 owner had :D Its nice to see the balt finally getting good reviews . Its been a very fun car to own , the 08 oughta improve on that 10 fold ....in a stock to stock comparison anyways .

• 4 weeks later...

I read the review in Motor Trend today..the numbers were quite shocking...260hp, 5.5 sec 0-60, 13.9 in the 1/4? About 3000lbs. And cheap...reminds me of a modern reinvention of the Mustang LX 5.0 idea (cheap, fast, basic). I figure a Camaro that can beat these numbers (at least the 0-60) will be north of $30k, so the Cobalt SS is definitely the Chevy budget hot rod.

Edited by moltar

The only thing wrong with the SS is it looks like the old car too much.

For the improvment in performance they needed some other changes to the looks to let teh unwashed GM fans know it was better and faster. .

Great! Now it needs a new exterior and interior.

What this car -- and the 2010 Cobalt -- needs is the 6T40 and 6T70 6-speed automatic transmissions for the 2.2/2.4 and the Turbo 2.0 respectively. Drag racers will find that it is faster than the current stick shift, everyone else will love the fact that they won't have to love to row a stick and work the clutch. The autos also have better ratio spreads meaning a lower top gear cruise rpm for a given 1st gear ratio. Short of a dual clutch AMGB these are peerless transverse transmissions (none of the Aisin or ZF 7 or 8 speed units are transverse). A summary of the specs that matter with the two and that of the current 5 speed manual (for comparison) are listed below:-

Hydramatic 6T40

Layout: Transverse, FWD

Maximum Input Torque: 177 lb-ft (240 Nm)

Maximum Input Speed: 7000 rpm (1~4), 6778 (5th), 5800 (6th)

Torque Converter Diameter: 236mm (nominal)

Maximum Vehicle Gross weight: 4250 lbs

Ratio Spread: 6.11

Hydramatic 6T70

Maximum Input Torque: 280 lb-ft (379 Nm)

Maximum Input Speed: 7000 rpm (1~4), 6250 (5th), 5550 (6th)

Torque Converter Diameter: 246mm (nominal)

Maximum Vehicle Gross weight: 6400 lbs

Ratio Spread: 6.04

GME F35

Maximum Input Torque: 260 lb-ft (Nm)

Maximum Input Speed: Unlimited

Clutch Diameter: 225 mm (nominal)

Maximum Vehicle Gross weight: 5066 lbs

Ratio Spread: 4.82

dwight, although I do find your knowledge of engineering and GM powertrains quite impressive, I would still rather have a manual transmission in a Cobalt SS/TC if I so chose to buy one.

+1, a car like that should have a MT, but it's not the kind of car I'd buy anyway.

As happy as I am about the positive reviews the Cobalt has received and is receiving, I can't help but wonder why in the 5 year cycle of this car, there will not even be a mild MCE. One complaint that's been repeated over and over is that the styling is dated, inside and out. If they threw just a little money and time into it, it may have a bigger appeal amongst buyers while being less of a target for critics.

+1, a car like that should have a MT, but it's not the kind of car I'd buy anyway.

If the SS/TC were 50/50 all-wheel drive with a six-speed manual transmission, it would actually be somewhat tempting to me as a possible runabout car.

... And it could provide the framework for a rally-spec Cobalt.

Edited by YellowJacket894

As happy as I am about the positive reviews the Cobalt has received and is receiving, I can't help but wonder why in the 5 year cycle of this car, there will not even be a mild MCE. One complaint that's been repeated over and over is that the styling is dated, inside and out. If they threw just a little money and time into it, it may have a bigger appeal amongst buyers while being less of a target for critics.

They won't. Not this late into the model's life cycle anyway. Remember... the Cobalt was introduced in 2004 making it 4.5 years old and already overdue for replacement. In about a year and 3 months (~Aug 2009) you'll get the all new 2010 Cobalt with a new platform (Delta II), new everything inside and out. It's not worth the effort to redo the interior just to sell it for a year. This wasn't even a face lift, its an engine option substitution on the 2.0 S/C engine that was being retired with some suspension and brake improvements thrown in.

Looks like that... maybe...

chevrolet-cobalt-1.jpg

Edited by dwightlooi

Yeah, all the 'enhancemens' for '09 are cost effective: Bluetooth capability, USB port in the radio, dropping the 2.4, significant upgrades to the standard 2.2, stuff like that. In Canada, the last figures I saw are that the G5/Cobalt twins are outselling the Mazda 3 and Corolla. Only the Civic outsells them combined.

I am hoping that the'10 replacement is breathtaking, but I am not holding my breath.

They won't. Not this late into the model's life cycle anyway. Remember... the Cobalt was introduced in 2004 making it 4.5 years old and already overdue for replacement. In about a year and 3 months (~Aug 2009) you'll get the all new 2010 Cobalt with a new platform (Delta II), new everything inside and out. It's not worth the effort to redo the interior just to sell it for a year. This wasn't even a face lift, its an engine option substitution on the 2.0 S/C engine that was being retired with some suspension and brake improvements thrown in.

Looks like that... maybe...

chevrolet-cobalt-1.jpg

I was merely asking why they hadn't... not that I thought they should. I know it's late in the model cycle... I just feel they should have made a face lift for 2007 or 2008.