mustang84

Ford sells Jaguar and Land Rover

58 posts in this topic

I have no links other than a snippet posted at BON...apparently Ford has sold Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata for $2.65 billion. I don't think the announcement is official yet, but should be known shortly.

I'm really happy about this. As much as it sucks to see those two go and the Nasser Empire slowly being sold off, $2.65 billion can go a long way toward reviving Lincoln.

MUMBAI (Reuters) -- India's Tata has closed a deal to buy Ford Motor's Jaguar and Land Rover brands for $2.65 billion, news channel NDTV Profit said on Tuesday, citing unnamed sources.

The Indian television channel said the deal would be announced around midnight Indian time (19:30 CET) in London.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=22537

This was the right decision. Ford will do well to use the money to focus on core operations more.

Plus, I just find it hilariously ironic that two major British automakers are now owned by the Indians.

This was the right decision. Ford will do well to use the money to focus on core operations more.

Plus, I just find it hilariously ironic that two major British automakers are now owned by the Indians.

Yeah, Indian companies also now own Tetley Tea and what was British Steel..

Given the huge resident Indian population in the UK, I don't see anything wrong - or hilarious - about closer business ties between the two countries. I myself welcome the move.

This is a great deal for Jaguar and Land Rover who now have access to a greater wealth of resources in a parent company; a great deal for Tata who can expand their empire into new territory; and a great deal for Ford who can free up capital for usage sorely needed in its domestic market to compete.

Given the huge resident Indian population in the UK, I don't see anything wrong - or hilarious - about closer business ties between the two countries. I myself welcome the move.

This is a great deal for Jaguar and Land Rover who now have access to a greater wealth of resources in a parent company; a great deal for Tata who can expand their empire into new territory; and a great deal for Ford who can free up capital for usage sorely needed in its domestic market to compete.

The irony is related to the history of the UK and India (i.e. colonialisation).

Yeah, Indian companies also now own Tetley Tea and what was British Steel..

Both are wholly-owned subsidiaries within India's Tata empire. British Steel would never have survived independently; cheap Far Eastern imports all but crippled the UK's steel industry, just as it did in the USA.

The irony is related to the history of the UK and India (i.e. colonialisation).

... and as I said, the UK is home to an enormous resident Indian population - and has done since the 1960's - so I myself don't see the irony (assuming you're familiar with modern Britain).

... and as I said, the UK is home to an enormous resident Indian population - and has done since the 1960's - so I myself don't see the irony (assuming you're familiar with modern Britain).

Ok, irony doesn't work well in typed text. Yes, I know the UK has a large Indian population..I don't see how that has to do with the companies.

Ok, irony doesn't work well in typed text. Yes, I know the UK has a large Indian population..I don't see how that has to do with the companies.

... and I don't see what multinational conglomerates in 2008 have to do with the heyday of the British Raj in the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

... and I don't see what multinational conglomerates in 2008 have to do with the heyday of the British Raj in the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

Ok, forget it...some attempts at humor/irony/whatever doesn't translate.

American humour never does.

I think it translates just fine to people who don't have their defenses up.

American humour never does.

Strange, your posts haven't been very funny at all.

:chillpill:

I think it translates just fine to people who don't have their defenses up.

You mean it translates well to those always on the attack.

Strange, your posts haven't been very funny at all.

:chillpill:

They've never intended to be.

Great. Now maybe Tata might be interested in the money-pit jalopy known as Saab. We'll throw in some floor mats and an air freshener to go along with it.

Great. Now maybe Tata might be interested in the money-pit jalopy known as Saab. We'll throw in some floor mats and an air freshener to go along with it.

With the rate of Tata's growth, who knows maybe they will?

I personally don't think the sale of LR and Jaguar will stem Ford's woes in its domestic market. A confusing model range full of large, boring boxes on wheels, a number of re-hashed elderly designs, and lack of any presence in the B-segment capitalised upon by the Japanese and Koreans in that domestic market ought to consign Ford to the grave. Indeed, the contrast from its progressive European operation couldn't be more stark. Thank goodness GM and Chrysler have been making more efforts in North America - thus largely, but not completely, avoiding the confusing model range full of large boxes, re-hasing elderly designs, and (as far as GM is concerned) making efforts to bring the B-segment to that market.

Edited by aatbloke

The B market isn't that popular here in the US - yet. It will be soon enough. Ford and GM milked the pickup truck/SUV teat too long thinking the good times would last forever while ignoring their CD sedan efforts (the bread and butter car in America). Not to mention that we've been down this road twice before ('73 and '79). Which all goes to show that the average IQ at the Big Three hovers around 68 or so.

With the rate of Tata's growth, who knows maybe they will?

I personally don't think the sale of LR and Jaguar will stem Ford's woes in its domestic market. A confusing model range full of large, boring boxes on wheels, a number of re-hashed elderly designs, and lack of any presence in the B-segment capitalised upon by the Japanese and Koreans in that domestic market ought to consign Ford to the grave. Indeed, the contrast from its progressive European operation couldn't be more stark. Thank goodness GM and Chrysler have been making more efforts in North America - thus largely, but not completely, avoiding the confusing model range full of large boxes, re-hasing elderly designs, and (as far as GM is concerned) making efforts to bring the B-segment to that market.

Ford and GM are both very strong in the truck market here, which I doubt will go away anytime soon. With this capital, perhaps Ford can focus (no pun intended) on revitalizing its presence in the car market, where it is very weak, IMO. Like GM, Ford should spend this money on listening to the expertise it already controls, both in Ford of Europe and through Mazda. There is a lot of untapped creative talent there. Now, with a filled bank account, maybe they can afford to spend some money on cars they can sell.

truthfully, Jaguar and Land Rover are both accomplished marques, but ones that will forever have trouble maintaining the peaks and valleys and feasts and famines of the markets they are in.

Look at the new XF. GREAT car, but we'll still be looking at it 7 years from now.

Jag and LR are large coach builders now and that's basically how they will be viewed.....unless Tata takes them to new heights.

Jag and LR never made enough headway in increasing their shares in the segments they play in to make it pay off for Ford.

Mazda has really been the biggest payoff for Ford and even now you can theorize if it makes sense to be tied with Volvo, aside from the safety stuff.

Honestly, I don't see a Lincoln revival coming out of this, but its cash for Ford and shedding of a extra headache basically. There wasn't much substantive that Ford got out of that tie up to begin with.

Globally, you've got to think there will be some shakedowns in Germany and Japan one of these days.....too many makers on the fringe. What Ford gets out of this is the ability to stay focused on Ford. It was the media and press always telling the automakers to gobble up the other ones to begin with.

The B market isn't that popular here in the US - yet. It will be soon enough. Ford and GM milked the pickup truck/SUV teat too long thinking the good times would last forever while ignoring their CD sedan efforts (the bread and butter car in America). Not to mention that we've been down this road twice before ('73 and '79). Which all goes to show that the average IQ at the Big Three hovers around 68 or so.

No it isn't yet, but Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, Kia, Honda and Chevrolet (courtesy of Daewoo) are all active players there in that segment and have been for some time.

truthfully, Jaguar and Land Rover are both accomplished marques, but ones that will forever have trouble maintaining the peaks and valleys and feasts and famines of the markets they are in.

Look at the new XF. GREAT car, but we'll still be looking at it 7 years from now.

Jag and LR are large coach builders now and that's basically how they will be viewed.....unless Tata takes them to new heights.

Jag and LR never made enough headway in increasing their shares in the segments they play in to make it pay off for Ford.

Mazda has really been the biggest payoff for Ford and even now you can theorize if it makes sense to be tied with Volvo, aside from the safety stuff.

Honestly, I don't see a Lincoln revival coming out of this, but its cash for Ford and shedding of a extra headache basically. There wasn't much substantive that Ford got out of that tie up to begin with.

Globally, you've got to think there will be some shakedowns in Germany and Japan one of these days.....too many makers on the fringe. What Ford gets out of this is the ability to stay focused on Ford. It was the media and press always telling the automakers to gobble up the other ones to begin with.

That depends on the market. Both LR and Jaguar are more consistent in Europe, where they offer a wider range than in the US, however they are still far short of the vast model ranges dominated by Audi, BMW and Mercedes with their European line-ups. To that end, Jaguar is more closely pitched at Lexus than it is the German Q-car marques. LR's only true competitor is Jeep, both in model conception and brand imagery.

Jaguar and Land Rover are certainly not coachbuilders; they conceive, design and mass produce their own products.

The XF will probably have a nine-year production lifesan like the S-Type, but in the executive segment such lifespans aren't unusual. The X-Type is Jaguar's key target for replacement now, and this time it needs to be rear drive to tackle teh Germans head-on instead of being more of an Alfa 159 and Volvo S60 competitor.

The X-Type is Jaguar's key target for replacement now, and this time it needs to be rear drive to tackle teh Germans head-on instead of being more of an Alfa 159 and Volvo S60 competitor.

:yes: a proper Jaguar

:yes: a proper Jaguar

Define "proper Jaguar" ... the first car Jaguar built for many years was the Austin Swallow, effectively acting as a coachbuilder by assembling bodies and grafting them onto an Austin chassis. A purist on the other hand might say that a proper Jaguar is one built at Browns Lane - which would count not only the Swallow out, but also everything built after 2005 when Browns Lane was closed.

Define "proper Jaguar" ... the first car Jaguar built for many years was the Austin Swallow, effectively acting as a coachbuilder by assembling bodies and grafting them onto an Austin chassis. A purist on the other hand might say that a proper Jaguar is one built at Browns Lane - which would count not only the Swallow out, but also everything built after 2005 when Browns Lane was closed.

I'm not a purist. A proper Jaguar = elegant, sporty, luxurious, something that can hold its own against BMW/Mercedes/Audi while being unique/distinctive.

You mean it translates well to those always on the attack.

No, because no one was ever attacking. Chill.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor