Test-drove the G8 GT today

Okay I know it's been mentioned a few times.....that the G8 doesn't offer a navigation system, but seems to have the screen to support one.

Has anyone figured out WHY Pontiac doesn't offer the navigation system in this car? It seems like the natural product to offer one in.

I was reading my latest AutoCar, and they just took delivery of a long-term Holden VXR8......and guess what? It's equipped with a nav system! Therefore the car must be engineered for one already.....why the lack of one on the American G8.....??????

Okay I know it's been mentioned a few times.....that the G8 doesn't offer a navigation system, but seems to have the screen to support one.

Has anyone figured out WHY Pontiac doesn't offer the navigation system in this car? It seems like the natural product to offer one in.

I was reading my latest AutoCar, and they just took delivery of a long-term Holden VXR8......and guess what? It's equipped with a nav system! Therefore the car must be engineered for one already.....why the lack of one on the American G8.....??????

Someone said to me before that it could have to do with incompatibility of map systems between the US and the rest of the world. My guess is still "decontenting," however. Especially considering the outgoing Grand Prix had one.

Strangely, though, I think I read somewhere that the GXP would have the option. I may be imagining things though.

Someone said to me before that it could have to do with incompatibility of map systems between the US and the rest of the world. My guess is still "decontenting," however. Especially considering the outgoing Grand Prix had one.

Strangely, though, I think I read somewhere that the GXP would have the option. I may be imagining things though.

Well when you consider that the car is Australian......and obviously the nav system works in Europe.....and that many European companies (BMW, Benz, Audi, etc.) can offer nav systems that work in the U.S....."incompatibility of map systems" seems like a lame excuse to me.

Oh well......

(Edit: I used to be a non-believer....in fact, I specifically ordered my '06 Vette WITHOUT the nav system. But since having them in the BMWs and my current A4, I'm a total believer and, if given the chance, wouldn't have a car without it.....)

Edited by The O.C.

Well when you consider that the car is Australian......and obviously the nav system works in Europe.....and that many European companies (BMW, Benz, Audi, etc.) can offer nav systems that work in the U.S....."incompatibility of map systems" seems like a lame excuse to me.

Oh well......

(Edit: I used to be a non-believer....in fact, I specifically ordered my '06 Vette WITHOUT the nav system. But since having them in the BMWs and my current A4, I'm a total believer and, if given the chance, wouldn't have a car without it.....)

I used to be a believer, until I got a Magellan 3250 portable nav from Costco for $200 (list price $449). It's compact, has its own battery and a nice screen, comes with Bluetooth, and does everything an integrated system can. In fact it pays for itself... I won't need Hertz NeverLost next week.

The only downside is if you forget to bring it... then you're screwed. For occasional use, it's fine and surprisingly not too clumsy. I do agree the G8 should at least offer the option.

Oh well......

I don't remember the specifics, but it was a technical issue involviing FCC compliance and so forth. This is to be corrected starting with the GXP (and extending to all models, I believe).

Not that I care - I've no use for such things, and don't like dash screens period.

I used to be a believer, until I got a Magellan 3250 portable nav from Costco for $200 (list price $449). It's compact, has its own battery and a nice screen, comes with Bluetooth, and does everything an integrated system can. In fact it pays for itself... I won't need Hertz NeverLost next week.

The only downside is if you forget to bring it... then you're screwed. For occasional use, it's fine and surprisingly not too clumsy. I do agree the G8 should at least offer the option.

Sorry, I prefer Google Maps on the Blackberry... free once you have the phone. My employer supplies the phone, so free for me!

Mine doesn't have GPS, but can locate my whereabouts pretty easily. Plus I can get (weak) traffic info and satellite maps. I also prefer the handheld nature, even though the Google lawyers specifically deny allowing me to use it while actually driving. In the end, its small enough to take with me anywhere. Some of the portable Nav systems are kinda large for my taste... and don't have a camera, phone and media player. :-P

Oh well......

I still stand behind my "decontenting" explanation, then. :P

• 4 weeks later...

i test drove the g8 again today. v6 model.

a lot of my impressions of the v8 test drive stand.......the ride and handling are good, i felt like i feel the bumps a bit too much through the car's structure and seat and floor. they could stand to tune some of that out. it doesn't feel 'billet like' like a car this heavy should. there feels like there is some slop or vibration or flex or looseness in either the unibody or the suspension. nonetheless, steering, handling etc. pretty agreeable.

the v6 speed auto combo is alright for a commuter. the car moves out ok, but with the weight of it feels like it could stand a 6 speed more responsive tranny and more ponies under the hood. it really is not bad, but the engine sound from the ohc motor is nice and it just seems the tranny doesnt optimize what is there. the 6 speed on my 500 uses the paltry hp it has much better and actually feels more responsive at passing speeds. the g8 is better from a dead start in mid range traffic because the tranny seems to be able to access what the engine is giving. its almost like they have it programmed to short shift, probably for fuel economy. Flooring it and asking it kick down is sometimes greeted with too much delay and some clunkiness in my opinion.

the car fits like a glove and even though i am used to the high command seating in my ford, i think moving back down in chair height to the g8 would be fine. i like the cockpit the g8 has. the power/tranny and weight concern me. the dash is what it is, you forget that you need to access the center to get window switches and mirrors etc. (why does GM seem obsessed with tiny side view mirrors, even on the lambda?) i like the radio and cc stack even if its too low i have to look at the atari voltmeter on top. and why does the plexi over the gauges glare so badly in sunlight? MAJOR flaw.

again, trunk roomy, not tall, but still nice sized, rear seat is HUGE. the ladies i bring to lunch at work would enjoy sitting back there. its nice enough that they would even ride the hump.

on second thought i wish the car had a bit more steering feel, especially considering its RWD and just again i think they need to tune out the noise and harshness and transmitted feel of some of the suspension impacts. i think there is bit more they could stand to do with refinement on this car to get a smoother engine tranny combo (something that shifts smoother, a little smoother engine too).

really the car is borderline fine with the v6. the salesguy did the usual ("v8 is marked up! v6 can be had at sticker!"). I got some payment quotes that were ridiculous. CLearly that dealer has no interest in selling volume on the car and i hope all BPG dealers are not gouging like that.

i may have to retest the v8 again. if i were in nice climate this car would be a great find for me and i think i would enjoy it. as it is, i think the v6 needs more refinement, it doesn't exactly feel nimble, and the v8 may be too much and not exactly great for winters here.

i'm pretty undecided on this car, it's a nice car, but there is so much competition out there plus i really would like something AWD and with more utility. Very good car, its just for commuting, it doesnt blow me away. If i were able to beat on the car on the twisties I may get more value out of it, where the sitffness of it would be of more benefit and the handling would liven up at speed.

Maybe some super incentives on the v6 and willing dealers could make me bite. It sounds like the v8's cannot be had at decent prices.

it makes me want to go back and drive the charger / magnum v6 again. i have a hard time believing the g8 is worth so much more. the magnum i had as a rental was a nice drive and felt more comfortable even if it didnt have the sportiness of the g8. the base charger may be a much better buy depending on options.

in all honesty for commuting purposes, a grand prix is as good a car for many folks as this v6 g8 is, aside from the tackiness of it.

Edited by regfootball

the g8 would be fine if they could just tune out some of the impact harshness and things felt through the chassis and refine the v6 powertrain combo. steering is good, the ride is good.

i just get the impression that GM austrailia failed to do some 95% percentile refinement on the chassis and suspension, they got it so it has some good performance numbers and track capabilities, seems to me there are some minor detail things they left open for improvement.....probably due to cost reasons.

i like buicks too. maybe if they brought the park avenue here........

Edited by regfootball

That's odd, because the First-Ever G8 is supposed to be one of the Stiffest-Ever.

yes, reading that before it makes me scratch my head.

maybe its just that things you maybe wouldn't normally feel in the floor and stuff aren't damped out. i've noticed the same thing in the aura. same goes for some impact noises you just don't hear in non-GM makes.

• 1 month later...

C/D finally has a writeup on the v6. 0-60 in 7.0. i had predicted frm my test drive that the v6 would be a second slower than the malibu or aura v6.

the aura time i got off their webite was 6.2 and the malibu ltz was 6.5. they kind of alluded to the same thing i felt. the v6 5 speed auto is a bit lacking in refinement. to me its a little NVH tuning and it needs a new tranny. it also needs the DI to get the power up.

i think they should explore that becuase if they could get the DI version into the low sixes with a 6 speed (or manual!) and refinement, that would prolong the zeta.

however they tested at 17 mpg. about the same as the taurus AWD or did that get 16. not much better than the small block but certainly not terrible for a 2 ton car.