Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

G8 vs 550i on youtube

The G8 commercial could have been done much better. A comparison to a 5-series isn't wrong, they just went about it the wrong way. No scenes of the G8 driving or carving up the mountain roads. No feeling that the interior is comfortable. Nothing, just a bunch of images that evoke no feelings or any passion for a car. If anything, I would say it advertised the 5-series as much as the G8, and doesn't make me want the G8 any more.

Ehh, cross segment comparisons never work as ads. See Hyundai or Subaru.

If you want to make fun of the Germans, do something like this:

Or this

That's some great music for a car commercial! :AH-HA_wink: The commercial didn't really make any sense, but it does a 100x better job eliciting excitement for the vehicle.

It is interesting to note the perception the posters on youtube have of the quality of German cars. The actual quality and dependability does not match that of the perceived quality, at least compared to JD Powers.

Also, it is very disturbing to see all the hate and vitriol toward American cars. Are we really that self loathing that we just can't possibly believe Americans can make a competitive product in any industry? In a way I hope we get into a pretty serious recession because unfortunately that is probably the only thing that will change buyers me first, selfish attitudes. I'm not referring specifically at buying American, but also our tendency to buy everything on shaky credit with the hope that we can pay it off some day. Of course, if you can't you can always file for bankruptcy. It may take 7 years to get your credit rating back but just think of all the highly discounted/free stuff you got prior to filing for bankruptcy! :rolleyes: I'm not sure who ever thought ARM's and interest only payments were good ideas for mortgages, but whoever it was should be shot.

I guess all you can say is, Welcome to the Walmart economy.

In todays market it does not matter to 75% of the BMW owners what their car can do at the track or in a curve. It is what it can do for them at the Mall or Resturant. It is all image today in this MTV cribs society. There not slapping on 30 inch wheels on H2's to improve the off road ability.

GM now has the cars and now needs to market their way back into having the cool got to have image. If anyonw here thinks it is going to happen over night is just fooling themselves. It will take time to prove the cars will hold up and it will take time to convince many that it is cool to own American again.

A odd as this spot is as was the latest commercial they are hitting with a younger market and the ones who set the tends. Pontiac will never be saved by those who bought FWD Grand Am's or GP's. It will take new blood.

While I don't like the marketing I think they are going in the correct direction as people like me don't need to be sold on Pontiac as I am already there. The people they need are mostly driving cars from Japan and can 't afford a new BMW but would like to have one.

The average age of YouTube posters must be around 5-6...

It's almost as if you nerd it up in Gran Turismo for three hours, you are suddenly a pro at cars...

Probably a bunch of punkass teens and 20 somethings that haven't driven anything more than a Civic or Cavalier...

A couple parts of it are funny, but I am not sure GM made that ad either, it seems too tacky. I don't like comparisons with cars that are not the same class, like Hyundai Genesis vs 7-series and A8 comparos. A Mustang GT is faster 0-60 than an $80,000 XLR and has more interior room, does that make the Mustang a better and more luxurious car?

The 550i does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, so the G8 isn't faster. The 550i has a nice twin turbo V8 and 8-speed automatic coming soon.

A couple parts of it are funny, but I am not sure GM made that ad either, it seems too tacky. I don't like comparisons with cars that are not the same class, like Hyundai Genesis vs 7-series and A8 comparos.

But the G8 is a competitor to the BMW 5, at a 3 Series price. Really, the Pontiac is just missing the 'class' that is associated with the BMW's badge.

A Mustang GT is faster 0-60 than an $80,000 XLR and has more interior room, does that make the Mustang a better and more luxurious car?

Anyone who compares a Mustang against an XLR is likely baked out of their mind.

A couple parts of it are funny, but I am not sure GM made that ad either, it seems too tacky. I don't like comparisons with cars that are not the same class, like Hyundai Genesis vs 7-series and A8 comparos. A Mustang GT is faster 0-60 than an $80,000 XLR and has more interior room, does that make the Mustang a better and more luxurious car?

The 550i does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, so the G8 isn't faster. The 550i has a nice twin turbo V8 and 8-speed automatic coming soon.

XLR vs Mustang is a ridiculous comparison; they aren't meant to do the same thing at all. Try something where at least the number of seats is the same. G8 and 550i are both meant to get you to the party in style and quickly whether the road is straight or curving and do so in comfort. G8 lacks the 550i's materials, but it's as good from a performance standpoint and better in terms of interior room. They might be going to different parties (XLR and Mustang are almost definitely going to different parties), but the way the two cars get you there is almost the same.

The Mustang GT vs XLR comparison is no worse than a G8 vs 550i comparison. BMW 550i drivers are probably not even considering cars under $55,000 let alone $33,000. The G8 is as fast as a 550i at less cost, a Mustang GT or is faster than an XLR at much less the cost. The 550i has more luxury features than an XLR or STS-V so to compare it to a car with an interior worse than the Malibu is not a valid comparison.

Interior room does not equal luxury either, otherwise the G8 is more luxurious than a CTS, plus it is faster 0-60 so I guess the G8 is better than a CTS using Pontiac logic. Pontiac should compare the G8 to the Charger, 300, Genesis, maybe a G35 sedan.

The Mustang GT vs XLR comparison is no worse than a G8 vs 550i comparison. BMW 550i drivers are probably not even considering cars under $55,000 let alone $33,000. The G8 is as fast as a 550i at less cost, a Mustang GT or is faster than an XLR at much less the cost. The 550i has more luxury features than an XLR or STS-V so to compare it to a car with an interior worse than the Malibu is not a valid comparison.

Interior room does not equal luxury either, otherwise the G8 is more luxurious than a CTS, plus it is faster 0-60 so I guess the G8 is better than a CTS using Pontiac logic. Pontiac should compare the G8 to the Charger, 300, Genesis, maybe a G35 sedan.

Don't make such a fool out of yourself. Just because you like to kiss BMW's ass doesn't mean you can't think logically.

Besides having a nicer interior, the 550i is not much different from the G8. Both have V8s, 5-pass, 4-doors, 6-speed autos, 0-60 in the low 5s, both look sporty, both handle very well. And just in case you need it more clear: both are SPORT SEDANS of similar size with similar performance.

XLR vs Mustang: Both have a V8, both have two doors. After that, there's no much similar. Mustang has 4-pass, retro looks, relatively good handling. XLR is two-pass, retractable hardtop. To make the difference clear for you: Mustang is a 2+2 that is supposed to be a daily driver for anyone from a 16-year old to a 60-year old. XLR is a weekend cruiser for the 40+ crowd with gobs of money to spend on a car. It's a car to drive up to the country club in if you want to be in style. XLR is not a daily driver at all; no one drives it in the snow.

By comparing the G8 to the 550i, they are comparing it to the Charger, 300, Genesis, G35, etc. They're showing the average Joe that the G8 compares very well to a 550i, so why should someone buy a Charger, 300, etc., over the G8? You really think Pontiac thinks they're going to get any significant number of would-be 550i buyers to buy the G8?

My dad could afford a 550i, but he doesn't like spending upwards of ~$35-40k on a vehicle. Thinks its a bad investment. However, he is interested in the G8 for his next vehicle purchase. This little infomercial isn't going to make him buy a G8 over a 550i (since he was never looking to spend $60k on a car anyways, whether he is able to afford to do so or not), but it may sell him on the fact that the G8 is really a great car if it compares very well to a BMW that costs twice as much.

They should actually compare the G8 to the STS, they are the same length and weight. The G8 is 5 inches longer than the 550i. The STS flopped because it wasn't as good as a 5-series (bland styling too) and was too big to handle like the smaller German cars, the same size car with a rubbermaid interior isn't a competitor to the 5-series when the STS isn't even a legit competitor. When the G8 gets 7.1 surround 14 speaker stereo, night vision, active steering, lasar cruise control, blind spot monitor, auto on/off high beams, 20-way seats, power sunshades, free maintenance, 12 year rust warranty, heated and power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, etc, etc then the discussion can begin.

I would love to see GM make a 5-series competitor, but right now they don't have one. The 5-series is great to drive, but I don't care for the styling. If they finally do challenge the 5-series and E-class Cadillac will be the brand to do it. I don't think GM has the resources or guts though to make a CTS that bases at $52,000 like the E-class.

They should actually compare the G8 to the STS, they are the same length and weight. The G8 is 5 inches longer than the 550i. The STS flopped because it wasn't as good as a 5-series (bland styling too) and was too big to handle like the smaller German cars, the same size car with a rubbermaid interior isn't a competitor to the 5-series when the STS isn't even a legit competitor. When the G8 gets 7.1 surround 14 speaker stereo, night vision, active steering, lasar cruise control, blind spot monitor, auto on/off high beams, 20-way seats, power sunshades, free maintenance, 12 year rust warranty, heated and power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, etc, etc then the discussion can begin.

I would love to see GM make a 5-series competitor, but right now they don't have one. The 5-series is great to drive, but I don't care for the styling. If they finally do challenge the 5-series and E-class Cadillac will be the brand to do it. I don't think GM has the resources or guts though to make a CTS that bases at $52,000 like the E-class.

Clearly they are not competing for the same buyers, but that does not mean they are not both trying to appeal to buyers with similar wants in a car but have different attainable price points. Do I have to make it any more clear? I hope not, because I'm not sure how much more clear I can get without being totally elementary. Actually, just so you understand, here it is:

Person A: Car guy, 50 years old, annual income $175000, looking for a sedan that's fun to drive and fast (performs well).

Person B: Car guy, 30 years old, annual income $80000, looking for a sedan that's fun to drive and fast (performs well).

Person A and Person B clearly are looking for the same type of car, but clearly Person B cannot afford a car that costs $60k (3/4th of his annual income). Person A on the other hand can afford a car that costs $60k. Both would probably like a car like the 550i, but Person B cannot afford the 550i. The G8 does 90% of what the 550i does at 1/2 the price (which Person B can afford). Person A probably buys the 550i and person B probably buys the G8. Both have the same wants in a car, and both would love a 550i, but both cannot afford one. Jeeze... I think this is like economics for 2nd graders.

Person B should buy a 3 year old 550i.

Or there are some 06 STS-Vs for $40 grand around here, $45-48k for 07s. Cadillac does make a great used car buy. Which is great for people like me that like to buy a 2 year old car, but not good for GM or a new car buyer.

When the G8 gets 7.1 surround 14 speaker stereo, night vision, active steering, lasar cruise control, blind spot monitor, auto on/off high beams, 20-way seats, power sunshades, free maintenance, 12 year rust warranty, heated and power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, etc, etc then the discussion can begin.

Aaaaaannnd hes off ladies and gentlemen!

is this freshly typed or just copied and pasted from the caddy forum threads? i mean really

there was just a write up of the G8 against a 5 series in automobile i think. and this month motor trend did compare the G8 against the charger. just like (and i hate to use this) the hyundai ad "do you have to pay $60,000 to get a $60,000 car? i know it isnt worth that much but where can you go to get a car equally equiped for the money? and since common sense has gone missing in the last 5 odd years, no i am pretty sure GM has nothing to do with this "commercial"

Edited by cletus8269

20 way power seats?! :lol:

Slide forward-slide back

Recline forward-recline back

Seat front up-seat front down

Lumbar up-lumbar down

Entire seat up-entire seat down

Headrest up-headrest down

That's 12... what, do the seats swivel both ways? Flip upside down? :lol:

Seriously though... I bet no one could figure out what was the point of the other 8.

And to get back to smk4565... or better yet, let's not... 'cause his diatribe was lost on me when he said that the G8 should be compared to the STS... which proves he wants GM to implode so that Deutschland can take over!

The seat cushion extends out, lumbar is 4 way, head rest is either 2 or 4 way, I don't know what all 20 ways are, but the car has 20 way seats. The lower part of the headrest also pulls out on both side to wrap around your neck like an airplane pillow.

The G8's competitors are Charger, 300, Genesis. Perhaps a Maxima if you don't care about fwd vs rwd and maybe some people that don't use their back seat more than once a month will consider a Mustang or Camaro.

Is this an actual ad?

This is the kind of $h! we don't need from General Motors....I am SO disgusted with this......Someone said it was "juvenile".....I say that's being nice.....

<_<

BMW poseurs, fans, and enthusiasts are laughing right now at Pontiac, GM, and the G8.......

How can GM ever be taken seriously when they produce this kind of garbage?

I agree with whomever else on here said they should have done a classy ad showing both cars in performance driving around mountain roads, and down long stretches of road so that the G8 could show off it's performance potential compared to the BMW......and could also show the car in motion....maybe show it screaming around the N'-Ring or something.....

I agree with whomever else on here said they should have done a classy ad showing both cars in performance driving around mountain roads, and down long stretches of road so that the G8 could show off it's performance potential compared to the BMW......and could also show the car in motion....maybe show it screaming around the N'-Ring or something.....

Because that would have been so different than all the other ads with cars driving around mountain roads or down long stretches of empty road......

Slide forward-slide back

Recline forward-recline back

Seat front up-seat front down

Lumbar up-lumbar down

Entire seat up-entire seat down

Headrest up-headrest down

That's 12... what, do the seats swivel both ways? Flip upside down? :lol:

Seriously though... I bet no one could figure out what was the point of the other 8.

I thought of 2 more, the side bolsters each move 2 ways. When you go into a sharp left turn, the right side bolster pushes forward so you don't slide in the seat. The Mercedes S-class does this also.

This is actually a commercial... I saw it today in the Kansas v. UNC game. My dad was like "Is this is a commeiical for the G8? What are they doing? Grey Poupon?"

Damn it...I was truly hoping it wasn't real.