My HHR and a honda got into it last night

Dsuupr

I love how parents pick hondas because they think they are so reliable and safe.

Last night a young girl couldn't stop in time on wet pavement due to not having ABS. Her brakes locked up and she ended up rear ending the HHR. Had she had the same year Cavalier she would have avoided hitting me because of having ABS. At any rate, she was going about 20 mph and did some decent damage to the honda but very little to the HHR. One of her friends pulled over to see if she was ok and upon inspecting the cars told her that if she had bought a Chevy the damage would not be so bad and with the ABS she would have stopped in time. Funny, I didn't even need to say anything.

Pictures are below.

2376699467_bc32f18a0e_b.jpg

2376699663_9185bda21c_b.jpg

2376699867_0101bafdd3_b.jpg

Edited by Dsuupr

Its not the car, its the driver whenever someone gets rear-ended. I dont have ABS and I have never rear-ended someone. And anyone in their right mind would take that generation Civic over a similar vintage Cavalier, because frankly those Cavvys sucked hard and those Civics are comfortable and (despite what you may think) run forever and are safe.

Yeah, I don't buy it. I would still put up the extra money for a car with ABS.

For an experienced "good" driver, ABS isn't necessary. For a young girl, it is.

BTW: The estimate for the HHR came to $475. I'm sure it's in the thousands for the honda.

My brother and I were driving the 2000 Civic my dad had when it was totaled, the car crumpled like a tin can. After seeing that I refuse to drive a small car, or at least one that doesn't have normal stuff like working bumpers lol. Glad everyones ok, and hopefully this accident created another Honda trade in at the local Chevy dealer.

I'm sure it's in the thousands for the honda.

An old car like that I wouldn't even bother spending money on to fix...take a rubber mallet and beat the hood out so it latches, duct tape the bumper in place..

As much as I hate to rain on the anti-import parade, I was unlucky enough to be rear-ended by an `84 Town Car while in the Prizm (you know, a Corolla). Pissed me off to no end that he wasn't paying attention but there was no damage to the car beyond a few scratches.

I would think the rears of cars are typically better than the fronts, as far as wreck damage.

As much as I hate to rain on the anti-import parade, I was unlucky enough to be rear-ended by an `84 Town Car while in the Prizm (you know, a Corolla). Pissed me off to no end that he wasn't paying attention but there was no damage to the car beyond a few scratches.

so was it totaled? lol

once a 99 civic rearended my moms 00 Intrigue back in 2002. Civic Totalled, frame crumpled and engine dropped to the pavment, air bag deployment the whole shebang. Intrigue needed paint and the bumper to be realigned. The bumper didn't even need to be replaced! Just pulled it off painted it and popped it back on. That intrigue also caused $5k worth of damage for a ford explorer once. It was an emergency stop situation on the highway. Explorer was following me too close and when I had to haul to a stop to avoid a disabled car it rearended. The explorer was nose diving so much that it made solid contact with the intrigues bumper rather than riding up over it and FUBARing the car. Intrigued needed a new bumper and shock mounts for about 600. The explorer wasnt so fortunate.

The car also killed a full grown buck by sideswiping it once. Minor scractch front fender. We alwasy joked that the car was invincible.

I love how parents pick hondas because they think they are so reliable and safe.

Last night a young girl couldn't stop in time on wet pavement due to not having ABS. Her brakes locked up and she ended up rear ending the HHR. Had she had the same year Cavalier she would have avoided hitting me because of having ABS. At any rate, she was going about 20 mph and did some decent damage to the honda but very little to the HHR. One of her friends pulled over to see if she was ok and upon inspecting the cars told her that if she had bought a Chevy the damage would not be so bad and with the ABS she would have stopped in time. Funny, I didn't even need to say anything.

The only way she could have rear ended you in a Cavalier is if you drove to the Chevrolet Dealer service department, and backed up into her car.

:AH-HA_wink:

Looks like a conflict of vehicle heights. Your rear bumper collided with her grille and head lights. Most small cars would likely suffer similar bumper and head light damage. I rear ended a Mazda 3 in my Integra, and knocked his bumper off. Zero damage to my car, not even a scratch. ;] Just my pride... :banghead:

once a 99 civic rearended my moms 00 Intrigue back in 2002. Civic Totalled, frame crumpled and engine dropped to the pavment, air bag deployment the whole shebang. Intrigue needed paint and the bumper to be realigned. The bumper didn't even need to be replaced! Just pulled it off painted it and popped it back on. That intrigue also caused $5k worth of damage for a ford explorer once. It was an emergency stop situation on the highway. Explorer was following me too close and when I had to haul to a stop to avoid a disabled car it rearended. The explorer was nose diving so much that it made solid contact with the intrigues bumper rather than riding up over it and FUBARing the car. Intrigued needed a new bumper and shock mounts for about 600. The explorer wasnt so fortunate.

The car also killed a full grown buck by sideswiping it once. Minor scractch front fender. We alwasy joked that the car was invincible.

Sounds like the Intrigue has a pretty hefty rear end if an Explorer lost to it ;]

My brother and I were driving the 2000 Civic my dad had when it was totaled, the car crumpled like a tin can. After seeing that I refuse to drive a small car, or at least one that doesn't have normal stuff like working bumpers lol. Glad everyones ok, and hopefully this accident created another Honda trade in at the local Chevy dealer.

You fail to see the point of crumple zones. The front of the car crumples like a can to lessen the impact to the occupants.

OUCH! Sorry to hear about the HHR.

Reminds me of what I said to my friend Lisa when she wrecked her Honda. I had my 55 Chevy in the driveway at the time and I said "Lisa, my Chevy has been on the road for over 50 years without a scratch and your Honda is only two weeks old and it's already beat up."

For some reason she wasn't real impressed.

Chris

my cousin had a 2002 civic, she backed into my 69 impala corner of her rear bumper to corner of my rear bumper... total anialation. rubber was no match for my steel hehe i just scraped off the green paint and she just... well got a new rear bumper. she got rearended later on in the car and the frame broke, insurance company wanted to weld it back together instead of totaling it but my aunt wouldnt have anything to do with that plan.

Its not the car, its the driver whenever someone gets rear-ended. I dont have ABS and I have never rear-ended someone. And anyone in their right mind would take that generation Civic over a similar vintage Cavalier, because frankly those Cavvys sucked hard and those Civics are comfortable and (despite what you may think) run forever and are safe.

QFT.

Never once has the lack of ABS given me trouble. I even disconnected it in my Millenia. And anyone who buys a Cavalier over a Civic lacks intelligence.

Yikes, Dsuupr ... sorry about the rear-ending of your HHR.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm sick & tired of being politically correct" ... John Mellencamp ... 'Peaceful World'

QFT.

Never once has the lack of ABS given me trouble. I even disconnected it in my Millenia. And anyone who buys a Cavalier over a Civic lacks intelligence.

What if you bought a cavalier because it was cheap and wasn't compared to other cars? :P

Agreed about the ABS though. None of my cars have them, nor need them. It's not that hard to drive.

My next car will have ABS, only because it will be the "family" car.

QFT.

Gee. My sisters 1995 Cavalier has 200,000 on it. Does that mean we lack intelligence? After seeing what sheetmetal on a Civic is made of No way!! I too am able to drive without ABS. Never rear ended a car with any of the old cars I have had. ABS does make it EASIER to make a panic stop if the surface is slippery but it can be done without it if you know what you are doing.

Gee. My sisters 1995 Cavalier has 200,000 on it. Does that mean we lack intelligence? After seeing what sheetmetal on a Civic is made of No way!! I too am able to drive without ABS. Never rear ended a car with any of the old cars I have had. ABS does make it EASIER to make a panic stop if the surface is slippery but it can be done without it if you know what you are doing.

It's ok, I don't think BV was calling people who own cavaliers stupid....

My guess is they are talking about people who are shopping many different brands of compacts...and bought a Cav over say a Civic and a Focus. Toward the end, the Cavalier looked super outdated compared to pretty much compact out there...

Used, on the other hand, is a different story.....

I had ABS in my old Cav wagon, and I think I used it a few times...to me, it is ok to have, but I don't really need it....I've done just fine without it....

Here is what it comes to. How much money do you have to spend for a car. It doesn't matter what size, or what brand, it comes down to what is available in your pocket book.

In my local area (50 mile radius via autotrader.com) you cannot find a honda (even without ABS) with less than 100k for less than $6000. There are multiple GM products available under $6000 that have less than 90,000 miles with ABS, including; Buick Century, Regal, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Cavalier . . .

I don't care what anyone tells me, a used Century with 90k and babied by an old man will last ALOT more miles than a 120k mile honda that has been abused by some young kid. Infact, given the same situation, I would still put my money on the Century before the honda. Add in the cost of timing belts, new water pump and the other crap hondas need that GM products don't, and I've saved more moeny than I will ever save on gas by owning the honda.

hondas AND toyotas are a waste of money.

Here is what it comes to. How much money do you have to spend for a car. It doesn't matter what size, or what brand, it comes down to what is available in your pocket book.

In my local area (50 mile radius via autotrader.com) you cannot find a honda (even without ABS) with less than 100k for less than $6000. There are multiple GM products available under $6000 that have less than 90,000 miles with ABS, including; Buick Century, Regal, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Cavalier . . .

I don't care what anyone tells me, a used Century with 90k and babied by an old man will last ALOT more miles than a 120k mile honda that has been abused by some young kid. Infact, given the same situation, I would still put my money on the Century before the honda. Add in the cost of timing belts, new water pump and the other crap hondas need that GM products don't, and I've saved more moeny than I will ever save on gas by owning the honda.

:yes:

And the early 00s Kia's are not holding up well either....I counted 4 02-05 kia Rios in the junkyard with teriminal issues...

Those cars are cheap because they are low in demand, while Civics, both new and used, are expensive because they are high in demand.

Let me attempt to paraphrase your argument. You would buy a babied 90k Century over an abused 120k Civic; Hondas may require $300-600 more maintenance every 90-100k miles than a comparable Buick; therefor Hondas and Toyotas are a waste of money.

Is that about right?

I did an autotrader search within 50mi of Seattle. I found four 1997 to 1999 Civics and Accords with 80-92k miles at $5900-6000. The lower mileage Centurys and Regals in that year range weren't any cheaper. They generally are lower in price or lower in mileage (or both), however nothing like the exaggeration you have presented.

Not well written, but you will get the point.

Comparison of buying a used honda vs a used Chevrolet

Vehicles found on Autotrader.com

Criteria (see ads for vehicles chosen)

Under 100k miles, automatic, less than $8000, not more than 10 years old, purchased from car dealer

Chevrolet is $1551 cheaper than honda

Chevrolet has 36,491 miles less than honda

Chevrolet is 6 years newer than the honda

If both cars were kept for 60,000 miles and 5 years;

honda would cost $838 less in gas than Chevrolet

this is still $713 more than the price difference in the cars

honda would need timing belt & water pump replaced atleast once at a cost of $900.

honda would need 2 tune ups at a cost of $300 each.

Chevrolet would need a 100k tune up at a cost of $1000.

At the end of the period the;

Chevrolet would have 123,191 miles

honda would have 159,682

Both brand lines are known to last those amount of miles with little to no troubles.

Using KBB fair value home sale, the Malibu would sell for approx $2070 after 5 years

Using KBB fair value home sale, the civic would sell for approx $1680 after 5 years

Chevrolet’s depreciation is $2829

honda’s depreciation is $4770

The honda would cost $3154 more to own over the 5 year period.

You say it as though GM products never break down. Ask BV, I'm sure he begs to differ. What it all boils down to is this: All cars regardless of where they come from will need work at some point in there life. As the miles rack up things wear and brake eventually. These are the facts of linfe. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda, a Buick or a Chrysler, something will need to be fixed eventually. There are just cases were some cars need more work more often than others.

Edited by Dodgefan

You sau it as though GM products never break down. Ask BV, I'm sure he begs to differ. What it all boils down to is this: All cars regardless of where theyc ome from will need work at some point in there life. As the miles rack up things wear and brake eventually. These are the facts of linfe. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda, a Buick or a Chrysler, something will need to be fixed eventually. There are just cases were soem cars need more work more often than others.

Oh, they have issues...my Cobalt is prime example...

I think much of it depends on where you live...

My home, home to the big 3, are pretty cheap and easy to find...Foci, G6s, you get the idea.

Honda and Toyota, not so much-though they are growing in a hurry...

Anyways, the price for a used Honda will be more in Michigan than in, say, California, where Hondas are a dime a dozen...

Another thing is, it is harder to bash a Chevy, or Honda, due to the fact that they are both well made (in GM's case, more recent), so it is more a matter of choice, or loyalties....

The only way she could have rear ended you in a Cavalier is if you drove to the Chevrolet Dealer service department, and backed up into her car.

Ouch.

And I think the culprit here is just poor driving. After all, she's a young driver, so I think it mainly boils down to experience.

Not well written, but you will get the point.

Comparison of buying a used honda vs a used Chevrolet

Vehicles found on Autotrader.com

Criteria (see ads for vehicles chosen)

Under 100k miles, automatic, less than $8000, not more than 10 years old, purchased from car dealer

Chevrolet is $1551 cheaper than honda

Chevrolet has 36,491 miles less than honda

Chevrolet is 6 years newer than the honda

If both cars were kept for 60,000 miles and 5 years;

honda would cost $838 less in gas than Chevrolet

this is still $713 more than the price difference in the cars

honda would need timing belt & water pump replaced atleast once at a cost of $900.

honda would need 2 tune ups at a cost of $300 each.

Chevrolet would need a 100k tune up at a cost of $1000.

At the end of the period the;

Chevrolet would have 123,191 miles

honda would have 159,682

Both brand lines are known to last those amount of miles with little to no troubles.

Using KBB fair value home sale, the Malibu would sell for approx $2070 after 5 years

Using KBB fair value home sale, the civic would sell for approx $1680 after 5 years

Chevrolet’s depreciation is $2829

honda’s depreciation is $4770

The honda would cost $3154 more to own over the 5 year period.

Grossly exaggerated and extremely biased.

You sau it as though GM products never break down. Ask BV, I'm sure he begs to differ. What it all boils down to is this: All cars regardless of where theyc ome from will need work at some point in there life. As the miles rack up things wear and brake eventually. These are the facts of linfe. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda, a Buick or a Chrysler, something will need to be fixed eventually. There are just cases were soem cars need more work more often than others.

He speaks the truth without the delusions of others. My family's experience with GM is nothing short of terrible and some of you just say "Well, sorry about luck, but don't forget, GM is a better investment than those pesky imports!" This pretty much explains the reasons for anything I've said on this subject to anyone. I mean, give me a break... I can only take so much BS. :P

No April fools intended.

As far as small cars go, were I to pay 17k for a small car I would buy a Civic because it is the better car.

But were I to want to buy a cheap reliable used car I can buy a Cobalt with Alloys and options with 5-10k miles, maybe 15k miles at the most for about 10 to 11 grand.

Actually, the Cavalier is easy to make fun of but I owned one when my mother owned an Accord. (Accord was an 85, Cavalier was an 86.) Both the Accord and Cavalier passed 100,000 miles utterly trouble free.

With cars it is pretty much the luck of the draw. I'm drawn to Miatas the way most guys are drawn to porn, and I've had several friends have problems with Miatas they bought new and babied.

It's like Vegas, baby. You pay your money, take your chances and hope things work out allright.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

...but I do really feel for the guys at my son Joel's school who are retarded enough to pay $4500 for an Ohio rustbucket 95 Civic with a wing, and it does happen all the time.

...and despite the line in my sig I do like Civics somewhat also. Really nice Red 2000 civic Si was next to me at the pumps last night when I was gassing up. Wouldn't mind owning one someday.

Chris