Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gt1750

Two Camaros

26 posts in this topic

These are my entries to the Camaro contest over at GMI. This contest is gonna be very interesting, aside Plum there are few other professionals participating.

This is what I threw in the ring:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Original sketches: #1 #2

I really liked your Firebird.

I really liked your Firebird.

[post="32939"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This means you don't like any of these two? If so, tell me the reason please. First one too Mazda? Second too retro? Feel free to say anything.

Both seem too bubbly to me. The first one reminds me of something. Tiburon maybe?

They're too toy-like. The wheels especially have a Hot Wheels kind of offset. And... they just don't look good, they're not handsome, at least to me.

I see a lot of Eclipse in the first one.

When I first saw them, my reaction was that the greenhouses looked off. They're both too rounded and not very Camaroish. Nitpicks: Red Camaro - the creases on the door just seem very odd to me. The front end needs to be lower to the ground and the grille shape just doesn't sit very well with me. However, I really think your headlights and taillights are great looking. Very menacing. Orange Camaro - the proportions seem off. Even though the hood is probably pretty long, it doesn't feel like it due to the bubbly greenhouse. I like your ideas for the grille, but the shapes give the appearance of a goofy smile. This one also seems to sit too high off the ground. They're beautifully rendered (I wish I was that good!), but the proportions and shapes don't really make them Camaros.

Hello GT1750. Nice to see you again BUddy... don't be a stranger. First off your rendering ability is awsome as usual. Now as far as the Camaro's desings: Make the orange one lower to the ground and more sqared off at the hips and fasica... then give it a meaner face and you've got a winner. Keep posting buddy. (I'd love the red one as a Firebird BTW) :)

In my opinion i like the second on much more and i think a few things can be tweaked. but in my opinion the first one looks very ecilpse like.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys. I see it now - I had to think more about what I was drawing. I did these sketches at school with no Camaro photo nearby. My friends sitting around were like "Oh that looks great, I want one" etc. I thought myself - it's good for me, them and it must appeal also the guys on the forums. How stupid I was! Thanks once again, I'll try to change the orange one a bit. I'm under time pressure and it won't be easy, but I'll see what I can do.

Don't apologize. Just keep posting your work... I always enjoy seeing concepts from you. :) Edited by Sixty8panther

Thanks. I'd like to know one thing. How should I change the front to look meaner? I see it looks like crazy smiling face and I don't know how to get rid of that without making it look like an old '67, '69 or a copy of another contest entries (you know where to look for them). What I' surely going to do is making the wheels smaller, lowering the car and squaring the greenhouse a bit (but I'll keep the glass roof). You can suggest more changes if you want to. I just don't want to make it look older/too retro.

The wheels on the second set reminds me of this:
Posted Image

[post="33344"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

and that's a good thing. I like simple but elegant wheel desings. :)

GT:

I thought these shots of some '69 Camaros might give you some inspiration... I can understand what you mean about not wanting it to look overly retro but an easy way to give it some agressive attitude is to cut off the top 4/5 centimeters of the round headlight at a gnetle angle... these pics might expalin what I mean.

this is a great example of what I was trying to expalin.. see this blue 69 looks like a shark or a crouching cat from this angle. MEAN and ready to pounce.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at the attention to detail that Gran Turismo 4 has... evne the screws/brackets on the parking lights/blinkers are 100% acurate. WOW.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.musclegarage.com/1969-Camaro-A099-014.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love these damn cars.... I love them so mush it's ridicilous. Every time one I see one I smile, even if it has more bondo on it than metal. The only cars that even come close to being as cool as the 1st gen Camaros (esp. 69s) are 61/62 Cadillacs, '70 GTOs, '69 Corvettes '59 Buicks and certain Porsche 911s. Edited by Sixty8panther

The thing i love most about 69 camaros are their subtle, but aggresive shape. For example, the front of the car almost unnoticable is angled sharply. From the aggressive lines of the otherwise boxy hood, down past the often hidden triangular peculuarities to the lower front spoiler, it was made to look intimidating and fast. And the speed lines gracing the fenders... well those are just pretty damn cool. http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif
When i first bought a model of a 69 camaro, i intended upon making it with its sister car the firebird. Instead i bought both a 79 and a 02 camaro models and enjoyed building them all.. (even the more boxy 79). The reason i enjoyed it was from the uniquness of the camaro.
If u want to learn and really examine the shape of a car, i would really suggest building a model (even if ur not too good at it.) If u have the time and patients, it can work out great for u. But if u really want to examine the shape of a certain car (:camaro:) u could just buy one.... of course the little plastic version is a lot cheaper. ^_^ Edited by fuel_sipping

I've got a model I bought as a teenager... it's an Ertl 1:25 scale '69 pace car ragtop... except I customized the $hit out of it. I dropped it like 1/4 inch... (6.25 scale inches :P ) and gave it '95 Trans Am chrome rims. The seats are from a Porsche and the engine is a Lamborghini V12 from a Diablo, so are the tail lights, suspension and rear end. I've never been a fan of the every day. :D

I really liked the original 2nd one (orange). The problem I see is that the greenhouse is way too squat and rounded. Comments on the update: Its cool, but I like the round headlights on the orange one. The a-pillar is a bit thick. If it had a slightly less raked windshield, and thinner a-pillar, I think it would be almost perfect. :P

Looks great, as I said in our PM about the yellow one: one of the best ones on this site period. Definatley in my top 7. (we've seen how many dozens of Camaro concepts here in the past year...)

Your latest one kicks sooo much ass. I liked the first orange one, too. I guess the last one could be the RS model.

To be real with you, eff what these "itching for a 69 Camaro so bad, may as well just go buy a 69 and get it over with" types are going thru. The very first red one was straight with me.

You lost me LA.... are you for or against retro? Honestly asking cause I'm not sure.

I'm railing against how you all seem to absolutely want the look of the 60s Camaros adhered to, as opposed to simply drawing inspiration from the best the world of Camaro (and GM as a whole) had to offer, creating a new strain. The Mustang beat GM to the punch with the whole reset thing. Why have GM following again? It's bad enough Chevy looks to be doing that with the HHR. There's styling cues, and there's aping something completely. GM shouldn't aim for the latter.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0