Pontiac Ponders G8 GXP Coupe

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125393

DETROIT — If the car enthusiasts within General Motors prevail, Pontiac will further expand its lineup of rear-wheel-drive performance vehicles to include a 400-plus-horsepower V8-powered G8 coupe. Just don't call it a GTO.

The coupe, which would be based on the Holden Coupe 60 concept the Australian division unveiled recently at the Melbourne auto show, would arrive in showrooms within three years' time.

Since neither the Firebird nor GTO name will likely to be revived for the Pontiac lineup, the G8 coupe will carry the performance mantle for the brand. To do battle with the big-horsepower Ford Shelby Mustang GT500KR, Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the upcoming Camaro SS, Pontiac will have to outfit its coupe with the 402-horsepower LS3 6.2-liter V8 that the company recently introduced at the New York auto show in the G8 GXP sedan.

As seen in these illustrations, the G8 Coupe GXP won't be a true hardtop like the Holden Coupe 60 Concept. Like the Camaro and Challenger it will grow a B-pillar and fixed rear side glass in production trim.

It'll also get the GXP sedan's 19-inch wheels, 245/40ZR19-spec summer tires and a version of the GXP's aggressive front fascia. That rolling gear would be attached to the sedan's stiff FE3 suspension and, like the sedan, the GXP coupe would offer an optional Tremec six-speed manual transmission.

Additionally, the G8 coupe, which has been developed alongside the Camaro, would be offered as the G8 Coupe GT, powered by the same 361-hp 6.0-liter used in the G8 GT sedan. Of course, this all assumes that a faction within General Motors that fears upcoming CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) standards doesn't quash the project.

"The G8 Coupe is not dead," said one source within the company. "This is an uphill battle. It shouldn't be. But it is." When pressed, our source indicates that the chance of getting the coupe is probably less than 50 percent.

Predictably, Bob Lutz is said to be in the pro-coupe camp. This isn't the first time the two factions have battled over G8 variants.

"The G8 GXP, the G8 sport truck and the G8 wagon were all part of the plan. Then they pulled all three just three or four months ago. It was a classic over-reaction to CAFE. We got the GXP back and, because Lutz is a big fan of the sport truck we got that back, too. But then Dodge killed the Magnum and that was the end of the wagon," our source says.

What this means to you: We don't care if they call it GTO or Firebird or Powder Puff. We still want this Corvette-motored coupe much more than a revival of the el Camino. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit

pontiac.g8.coupe.concept.f34.500.jpg

pontiac.g8.coupe.concept.r34.500.jpg

pontiac.g8.coupe.concept.act.f34.500.jpg

I am SO f@#kING CONFUSED. Zeta's dead... but it's not. But it is. But it's not. But the G8 will only be sold in small amounts. But let's make a Camino out of it. And now a coupe. WHAT THE f@#k IS GOING ON WITH PONTIAC?!

I wondered if they were trying to gain support with the showing of the 60 Coupe. It is not a good Policy to show a car that has no chance unless you have a motive.

While odds are still not the best at least there is some hope.

I so like the fact they will not use the GTO or FIrebird name for this car. It will not be a long life and better to save the names for a later program.

Besides it eliminates the "It does not look like a GTO or FIrebird Bit#hing.

I am SO f@#kING CONFUSED. Zeta's dead... but it's not. But it is. But it's not. But the G8 will only be sold in small amounts. But let's make a Camino out of it. And now a coupe. WHAT THE f@#k IS GOING ON WITH PONTIAC?!

Most Zeta programs were on hold and not so to speak canceled. May say Canceled but the truth is once on hold many programs can go either way.

So this isn't an April Fool's joke. I edited Dodgefan's post to include the link.

This is very good news! At least a few people still get it within GM! 10K G8 GT coupes are not going to have that big of an affect on GM's CAFE if they sell 300k Malibus, 100K Aveos, 250K Cobalts, etc etc that meet CAFE.

Actually on a second look, doesn't really look like that much of an April Fools. It was posted yesterday...

Although it still looks very "choppy" to me.

And Sixty8's not going to be happy with that B-pillar.

I is not April Fools as it is more a power play to get the public to back those who support this car.

If we let it be know we like and want this car the 60% against Lutz and friends will have to back off.

This car would pick up where the Camaro SS leves off and stop just short of the Z28. It would be the Professional Perfromance car.

If anything cars like this that make good impressions on the public are just one more foot step back to general acceptability. You don.t need to put that full burden just on the Vette or have to build 100K of these. This car will show how serious GM is and help bring people into the show room.

I think the new improved styling will win over many as I think the public is generally getting tired of generic Asian look that has degraded to the look of a old Saturn. In a couple of years the reliability will show GM is back in the game all the way around.

WHAT IS GOOD FOR THE PUBLIC IS GOOD FOR GM!

Edited by hyperv6

As I've said before regarding other GM cars, it's important GM look at the demos these cars have sold to. Los Angeles hosts a number of youthful GTO owners; I believe the GTO achieved a feat most other GM cars don't, it catered to typical import buyers.

There's no doubt in my mind this design would work, though it would be nice if the three years quoted here for production were cut dramatically short, like say in half. The stance and sculpting present in this car is advanced from every other GM car currently produced. The stance represents the difference from an Escalade to a Range Rover Sport and the sculpting shows remarkable attention to detail like most GM cars' sculpting lack.

The positioning I've talked about before. On the laurels of excellent engineering in Zeta, Pontiac should position this as the hardcore personal luxury coupe. They should head off the M3. even though the Camaro theoretically goes after BMW buyers, the Pontiac represents a total different style that will appeal to a different set of needs. This just makes a lot of sense.

Hey, would you look at that...

Reality bites this board in the ass again.

I think a G8 coupe is an EXCELLENT idea, and what the hell? Make 5,000 of them V8s and 5,000 of the turbo fours or V6's if CAFE is that big of an issue.

Pontiac is to the point of selling so few of these cars (For better or worse) that they (meaning 10K coupes) shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of CAFE.

Not to mention, if the G8 ST does bomb like some say it will, why not transfer that capacity to this car OR the wagon?

I would love to see a well rounded Pontiac line up. The people who plague GM with 'old school think' should be shown the door They've had 30 years to stabilize the company, now it's time for the enthusiasts to take over.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Well, assuming this _isn't_ an April fools prank... _WHEN_ do I have to wait for a G8 coupe? Then will I need to wait even longer for a GXP? Or another year for the 6-speed?

See, I think this this bad for business... tease after tease. I'm not interested in buying a G8 GT one year... a G8 GXP sedan the next, then a G8 GXP Coupe the next. Now, I'm waiting for a unicorn... just like when I heard news that the 2005 GTO was going to be so much better than the 2004.

I understand cars are going to typically get better every year, but if GM made a full line of body styles/drivetrains, it wouldn't matter if I got a 2008 G8 or a 2010. I would know that I can walk into a GM dealership any year and buy a new RWD, V8, 6-speed, coupe...

In fact, if I was confident in this, I'd likely plan to buy a new car every other year or so... instead, when I get my new G8 unicorn, I have to treasure it... it might be the last one I can get.

I can't help but wonder if my constant b*tching at NYIAS for a decent coupe paid off. ;-) Next year my campaign will be for the G8 wagon... I would actually consider buying a coupe and a wagon at the same time it they were in the dealer's lot.

GM is so very determined to make sure they don't make a car I would

consider worth buying it makes one wonder if and when they will stop

making $h! that ALMOST doesn't compromise style/performance!

As seen in these illustrations, the G8 Coupe GXP won't be a true hardtop like the Holden Coupe 60 Concept. Like the Camaro and Challenger it will grow a B-pillar and fixed rear side glass in production trim.

There it is.... more reason for me to just keep buying old classics.

Or, if I get the taste for a modern hardtop there's always a used

Mercedes 300CE, 560SEC, CLK550 or what not...

With Zeta facing the scrutiny it faces from the faction within GM mentioned in the article, a Commodore/G8 coupe faces many hurdles. I know I will be paying attention to the news concerning this car in the future. I hope we see eventually see it.

You know, on an off-topic note, if there is anything GM could do to penalty dealers who practice "market adjusted" pricetags, that would be welcome. Pontiac dealers are very bad for it. They've done it with the Solstice, Solstice GX/P, the GTO, and today I noticed a G8 today with a "market-adjusted" sticker of $2275. I am very upset about that. The dealers are only hurting themselves when they do that.

Edited by YellowJacket894

So this isn't an April Fool's joke. I edited Dodgefan's post to include the link.

This is very good news! At least a few people still get it within GM! 10K G8 GT coupes are not going to have that big of an affect on GM's CAFE if they sell 300k Malibus, 100K Aveos, 250K Cobalts, etc etc that meet CAFE.

Don't forget we still have the option of a Turbo Ecotec, although I think the majority of these babies will be fitted with the 3.6L.

I really wouldn't mind a Club Sport barebones model as a pure-bred driver's car.

You mean like you do??? :rolleyes:

Never said I did. However, this cynical, perceived to be, agenda against Pontiac despite your dubious claims else wise and how you constantly, intentionally post in a way to agitate members is nothing but detrimental to C&G. I'm certainly not the only one that sees this. I don't care if you work for GM, you post in a disrespectful manner and its absolutely unprofessional. So, yes, be immature and roll your eyes at me.

For now, talk to me in a year! :AH-HA_wink:

That's why there's droves of people over on G8board.com that are waiting for the '09s to come so they can have either a) the new features, b) GXP model, c) not have to deal with any markup from the dealers. Yep, you're prediction will be right in a year. Do some homework before posting crap.

Never said I did. However, this cynical, perceived to be, agenda against Pontiac despite your dubious claims else wise and how you constantly, intentionally post in a way to agitate members is nothing but detrimental to C&G. I'm certainly not the only one that sees this. I don't care if you work for GM, you post in a disrespectful manner and its absolutely unprofessional. So, yes, be immature and roll your eyes at me.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back on topic:

It sounds like it will be hard for me to find the car to replace my truck. My list keeps getting longer.

G8

G8 ST

G8 Coupe

Challenger

Camaro

Solstice Targa

Mustang

Now if I can get one of the above options for around $25k I'm golden!

Why would anyone spend $32K on a plainly styled, low-esteemed branded car only to watch it rapidly depreciate before the last payment is made? A CTS is a better buy for the same money. The G8 will probably tank for these reasons and, therefore, it's doubtful we'll ever see a G8 Coupe. A Buick GNX makes even less sense.

As I predicted, History is about to repeat itself! :smilewide:

Ahh, ahh! Not so fast. I have been trying to keep a loose tab on the G8s at the local Pontiac dealer, and I noticed that they had received a red V6 model today (the car I spoke of earlier with the markup was a black V8 with leather). I saw that it didn't have an "adjusted" tag. It was priced at $28 large, which is normal for a V6 with a few options.

So it seems that dealers are marking up the lower volume models and leaving the higher volume ones alone, at least in the case that I had seen today. Not exactly a repeat of our first "Holtiac." :deathwatch:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Why would anyone spend $32K on a plainly styled, low-esteemed branded car only to watch it rapidly depreciate before the last payment is made? A CTS is a better buy for the same money. The G8 will probably tank for these reasons and, therefore, it's doubtful we'll ever see a G8 Coupe. A Buick GNX makes even less sense.

Obviously you haven't tried shopping for a used GTO, or even looked up their current value, have you?

They hold their value better than pretty much any other GM car including Cadillacs.

Please come back to reality and stop spreading lies to make your opinions seem right.

Not according to the Automotive Lease Guide which rated the 2005 GTO as 3 out of 5 stars (mid pack). Most of the rest of the Pontiacs were 2 stars. Maybe the G8 will be better, but the brand has a sucky image which doesn't help. Sorry, sometimes the truth hurts.

Obviously you haven't tried shopping for a used GTO, or even looked up their current value, have you?

They hold their value better than pretty much any other GM car including Cadillacs.

Please come back to reality and stop spreading lies to make your opinions seem right.

Hmm... I got one because it was one of the most inexpensive nice V8 6-speed coupes I could get.

Not according to the Automotive Lease Guide which rated the 2005 GTO as 3 out of 5 stars (mid pack). Most of the rest of the Pontiacs were 2 stars. Maybe the G8 will be better, but the brand has a sucky image which doesn't help. Sorry, sometimes the truth hurts.

Like I said, obviously you haven't tried shopping for one. I own one, so I have tried shopping for one, and it took me 3 months to find it too. Also, I did a search on Autotrader for GTOs within 200 miles of my zip code, it came up with 11. Average price: $24,946. Price I paid for mine a year ago: $25,200. I think for a 3 year old car that would be very good.

Also, cars like the GTO and G8 are improving Pontiac's image. Just because Pontiac's image has been dragged through the mud with cars like the Aztek, Montana, and other cars that have no performance to back up what a Pontiac should be, doesn't mean real cars that improve Pontiac's image should be cancelled. Toyota should have just packed up and gone home for good when their first car here was a flop. Then they should have given up on full size trucks, for the first, second, and now the third try too, right?