Pontiac Ponders G8 GXP Coupe

Why would anyone spend $32K on a plainly styled, low-esteemed branded car only to watch it rapidly depreciate before the last payment is made? A CTS is a better buy for the same money. The G8 will probably tank for these reasons and, therefore, it's doubtful we'll ever see a G8 Coupe. A Buick GNX makes even less sense.

I agree on the Buick as a GNX just does not fit where Buick is going. A Riv is more in line.

As for the G8 Coupe vs CTS. The Caddy Coupe is much more expensive once you get the V8 by about $20K. You may get one in the mid 30K range but it will be only a V6 and not loaded.

As for calling it a GTO. If you go that route be prepared as you have one more chance at a GTO and if this fails you never going to get another shot at it. It would be more wise to save the GTO name for a later car that is not as much a risk. The coupe market now is getting tighter and tighter.

If the G8 pans out they could do a more uplevel car and call it the GTO with more HP.

Why would anyone spend $32K on a plainly styled, low-esteemed branded car only to watch it rapidly depreciate before the last payment is made? A CTS is a better buy for the same money. The G8 will probably tank for these reasons and, therefore, it's doubtful we'll ever see a G8 Coupe. A Buick GNX makes even less sense.

Wow, this sounds like I wrote it, haha.

Pontiacs and Buicks depreciate fast, actually Cadillacs do also compared to BMW or Lexus. They all make for good used car buys, but not new car buys. The G8 coupe would probably get near the low end price of a G37, and Infiniti is a lot more prestigious than Pontiac. Plus there is CAFE to consider, since GM builds Hummers, Silverados and Yukons, they'll need lots of 4-banger cars to offset that when the day that cars and trucks are combined comes.

Because most purchases, especially in capitalist america, are driven by emotion instead of logic.

I wouldn't mind buying a Pontiac coupe at all because I would buy the car for reasons other than the investment. Every new car depreciates and every new car is a horrible waste of money if you look at it that way. If I wanted an 'investment' I'd buy a classic (which is one reason I own 2 classics :))

Wow, this sounds like I wrote it, haha.

Pontiacs and Buicks depreciate fast, actually Cadillacs do also compared to BMW or Lexus. They all make for good used car buys, but not new car buys. The G8 coupe would probably get near the low end price of a G37, and Infiniti is a lot more prestigious than Pontiac.

Either you're very young or very new to the hobby. Infiniti was a JOKE not 5 years ago and the brand still isn't making BMW or Lexus sweat any. The same things could've been said (and were in the more knowledgable media) about Infiniti back then that are being said about Pontiac now. Yet people seem to think that doemstic brands somehow cannot regenerate themselves and must be destroyed. This is despite the obvious successes from all 3 companies throughout the last decade. And it doesn't factor in the emotional connection that Pontiac already has with the consumer that Infiniti doesn't. Even die hard Pontiac haters acknowledge the 'glory days' of GTO muscle cars. Like it or not, there is some good feeling left there but it's fading fast.

Plus there is CAFE to consider, since GM builds Hummers, Silverados and Yukons, they'll need lots of 4-banger cars to offset that when the day that cars and trucks are combined comes.

10K G8 coupes is a drop in the bucket, especially if GM can make some serious $$$ on the same design by selling it through Holden, Vauxhall and Pontiac.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM