The Proper Terminology Post

LosAngeles

"Sporty" describes looks. "Sporting" is what performance, personality, engineering and such... "Large mid-size" is an oxymoron....if it's a big car, it's a big car...if it's mid-size, it's mid-size. Add on at your leisure....

I'm inclined to disagree....I think the term "sporty" is used way too loosely in inappropriate contexts....and way too many cars are called "mid-size" when they could simply be compacts or actually be big cars.

"Large mid-size" is an oxymoron....if it's a big car, it's a big car...if it's mid-size, it's mid-size.

[post="32820"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Last I checked, large was being used to describe a segment of mid-sized cars that are on the larger end of the spectrum... In the same way someone might call a car a luxury mid-size...it's perfectly vaild.

Especially when you have had cars like the Accord and Regal both classified as mid-sized...and since everyone is going to insist they are...I would definitely describe the Regal as a Large Mid-Size in comparisson to an Accord...since the Accord is a compact in my eyes.

I'm inclined to disagree....I think the term "sporty" is used way too loosely in inappropriate contexts....and way too many cars are called "mid-size" when they could simply be compacts or actually be big cars.

[post="32822"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you think that, but i sure don't! "mid-size", "compact" and "full-size" are all relative and/or subjective terms. dimensions are, of course, objective, and "proper".

"sports car" has a definition, and mazda miatas and pontiac solstices fit it, while corvettes and camaros do not. that doesn't stop people from using it subjectively, but here is an example of a well-defined term being adapted to fit the times.

Cars are all smaller today and is hard to even have a fullsize, so they are fullsize by todays standards. Now at GM its hard to determine what their fullsize cars are. LeSabre - gone, PA - gone, but Lucerne must be a full size. Bonneville was - gone, so now it must be just Lucerne, STS & DTS are the last of the full size GM's which would have been midsize cars 20 years ago. Now all W& E bodies have been midsize and that is that, a well know fact, although when they came out they were nearly a compact Domestic. However when compared to other midsize import cars of that time they were large midsize cars of the Domestic compact type. Hope this helps =}:-O Edited by razoredge

sporty and sporting - when one is sick of using one term they can switch to the other, also includes phrases such as more sporty, more sexy, exciting, curvacious and many others Now take a CTS its a midsize car of larger bulk that could be considered sportin' in todays world but its not a sports car. Put the V package on there and suddenly its a 4dr sedan killin machine, is it sporty or sportin ? 61 Impala Super Sport - sports car ? I doubt it, sporty or sportin ? all the way. Now its 1969 and here comes 'ol Doc Stevens in his new Electra 225 2 door hardtop and hes sportin his favorite hat he bought to go along with his new prize car. So is that hat really sportin ?

"Large mid-size" is an oxymoron....if it's a big car, it's a big car...if it's mid-size, it's mid-size.

[post="32820"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There was a time when cars came in small, medium, and large. But then someone got the brilliant idea that every car should be everything for everyone. This led to compacts growing bigger and bigger to accommodate people better and the full-sized cars began getting tighter dimensions to make them easier to drive. The mid-size segment has been encroached upon for many years now to the point that the lines are too blurry to properly divide them anymore.

Another set of terms that's been bothering me as of late has been words such as "idiot," "ignorant," "fool," etc, especially in reference to certain reptilians or large cats. Instead, let's try the term "person with whom i have a discrepancy of opinion," followed by "person to whom I no longer bother to reply," lest we end up having to use the term "person who no longer is allowed on C&G."

Very general, yet razor-sharp, Enzora. I agree.

Size classes are getting more and more fragmented. We could fall back on EPA size classifications whereby the interior space in square footage dictates size class.

I have to agree with chris. These terms are all relative & unquestionably subjective. Tho chris: what do you think makes the Corvette not a 'sports car'- fixed roof or something else?

[post="32831"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the fixed roof doesn't help, the size... doesn't really help, the V8 doesn't help, the absolutely gorgeous luxury car interior doesn't help at all...

this car fits somewhere between GT and supercar.

You know, its nice to see someone here on C&G who actually gets it.  Thanks Enzora for being that person, because I have lots alot of faith in posting here lately for the very reasons you mentioned.

Chief

[post="32905"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

damn! i always thought of myself as enlightened...

Another set of terms that's been bothering me as of late has been words such as "idiot," "ignorant," "fool,"  etc, especially in reference to certain reptilians or large cats. 

[post="32875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol:

Did someone just call me an ignorant foolish idiot again ? who was it ? Just wait ! Next time get it straight, Im a medium midsized ignorant foolish idiot with a few sporting characteristics, in dire need of a tuneup but consist of too many obsolete parts.

Rockin On !
=}:-)

[post="33000"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol: You're a good sport. Peace out. :cheers:

I have to agree with chris. These terms are all relative & unquestionably subjective. Tho chris: what do you think makes the Corvette not a 'sports car'- fixed roof or something else?

[post="32831"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Corvette:

sports car. two seater, available as a ragtop and very sleek styling wiht small proportioins. Massive weight to power ratio, RWD and manual trans offered: SPORS car.

Camaro:

Not really a sports car. Not in the traditional sense. I would never call it a sports car like a Lotus Elise, Corvette or Ferrari but if in todays world a FWD Eclipse or V6-auto Mustang are sports cars than som is the Camaro.

IN my own definition the Camaro is a sporty coupe. Or more correctly it would be classified as a Grand Turismo 2+2. Even that's tought to judge depending on the definition and generation. Like in 1968 my Camaro left the factory wiht a 327, auto trans and four passanger capacity: definately a GT/2+2 in that era, but even in those years ads called the Camaro/Vette "two Chevrolet sports cars"

I guess if pressed by a layman I'd say my Camaro (first gen) was a "sporty hardtop coupe".

Grocery-getter: It doesn't matter these days, does it? This is why I'll consider a car like the Camaro a sports-car. This is because its suitability for use is for less-than typical means. This gets twisted when you suddenly toss a V6 under the hood. The style is there; however, the substance has diminished. I'll just say the definition has changed over the years of design, and dictated by categories involving, for example, their safety equipment.

Sports car is a broad band. Especially after you get on this side of the Atlantic. However in Europe whether it had a rag top or none at all (speedster)a windshield or windsreen or a hardtop or a coupe there was nothing in there that made one not a sports car. The Mustangs, Camaros, Cudas and Javelins were Pony cars. However they were actually pretty agile and handled well with great looks so they were very very sporty. However you cant tell me the last two generations of F bodies werent sports cars, the bodies were streamlined, the profile was squat, with all the options they were quick. I guess perhaps thats where the American GT comes into play. Alot of these terms are broad and really are a waste of time to scrutinize. If someone doesnt get the drift or cant follow along they might not be "car crazy".

What about roadster v. sports car? Corvette and Solstice are sports cars, IMO. The Miata is a roadster. The Boxster is kind of a hybrid... a speedster?

[post="33234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hey, remember when the term hybrid was used for crossovers?

Corvette:

sports car. two seater, available as a ragtop and very sleek styling wiht small proportioins. Massive weight to power ratio, RWD and manual trans offered: SPORS car.

[post="33123"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

my point is being missed by miles. the fact is that we are, by and large, a bunch of young car enthusiasts who know very well what we mean. nobody ever, ever defined a sports car as having "massive weight to power ratio" (and you got that backwards by the way), but the term has evolved in conversation to imply that.

arguing the exact definitions of terms and railing others for not following it is completely pointless and counterproductive. so like, chill, everyone!

(remember when hybrid was used to refer to plants?)

arguing the exact definitions of terms and railing others for not following it is completely pointless and counterproductive. so like, chill, everyone! Trying desperately to understand your point Chris...I get the chill part. I get the pointless part...I don't get the part that where a car that is reponsive, and capable of high speeds, isn't a sports car. Maybe instead of people correcting others with opinions, they should stick with fact-based comments....SCCA has classes for sports cars. Like Camaros and Vettes. I'm not here to argue, and please don't think I'm being disrespectful. I'm just trying to understand your unique point of view, which is hard to grasp.

Corvette, Mustang, Camaro used to race Groupe 6. Big displacement, big cars. Very fast and very competitive. today Corvettes can finish overall in 3rd and 4th place even against throughbred prototypes. So theyed be a medium/largish/fullsize/sportscar/GT/Coupe/w/ventiport and kidney grill delete option =}:-)

arguing the exact definitions of terms and railing others for not following it is completely pointless and counterproductive. so like, chill, everyone!

Trying desperately to understand your point Chris...I get the chill part.
I get the pointless part...I don't get the part that where a car that is
reponsive, and capable of high speeds, isn't a sports car.
Maybe instead of people correcting others with opinions, they should
stick with fact-based comments....SCCA has classes for sports cars.
Like Camaros and Vettes. I'm not here to argue, and please don't think
I'm being disrespectful. I'm just trying to understand your unique
point of view, which is hard to grasp.

[post="33599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i use it as a device to demonstrate a point. i wholly agree that a corvette "is" a sports car, but it's simply not the technically accurate definition. to wit, i am trying to show you all how silly it is to argue for "proper terminology" when we all know damn well what we mean!