Architecture on crack

Some pie-in-the-sky concept for a "Eye-In-The-Sky" lookout tower for Oakland, CA. This is the work of a real architect, not just some kid messing around with markers and Photoshop. I can picture the property values of the surrounding neighborhood sinking and the urban blight setting in if this gets built.

eye_2.jpg

eye_102b.jpg

eye_112.jpg

The French hated the Eiffel Tower when it was proposed and fought to tear it down, once the World Exposition was over.

Having said that - the tower looks like someone beat a flower lady with an ugly stick and then left the stick.

This Mayan Temple Skyscraper resembling the tower of Babilon is cool.

The rest odf the stuff in this thread sucks, esp. the ones that look like

a whale's penis or some kind of french made vibrator.

economia7.jpg

the comments from p-oed architects is even better.

I know! Some people take this profession way too seriously.

I like this comment:

Juxtaposition, fenestration, ‘the creation of an immortal monument to posterity’, ‘the philosophy of commonality and standardization’.

WTF Does all that mean?

What is everyone's opinion about Seattle's proposed Emerald City Center? :yuck:

I don't have a problem with the design of the arena, but the overall site plan isn't very pedestrian-friendly. This is just a very suburban site plan that is very out of place in both of the proposed locations, but less so on the waterfront. There need to be more reasons to go there. The "retail store of the future" sitting so far away from road access will not survive more than a few months due to lack of business. How many people are willing to walk across a sea of concrete all the way around an arena to get to a futuristic retail store? Yea I didn't think so.

The proposal lacks density and the land uses are segregated. There needs to be mixed-use development. Frankly, I'm shocked that something like this is being proposed in 2008 as it seems like a throwback to 1968 in terms of urban planning. This is far too auto-centric in design to be sustainable.

Edited by Croc

I know! Some people take this profession way too seriously.

I like this comment:

some? It's mental torture for someone like me to have to deal with all the holier than thou egos and stuff in the biz. that said, where i work now, nearly everyone is not at all like those kinds. i think its the only way i can retain sanity.

You know, the one reason I didn't want to go into architecture was solely because I didn't want people to tell me how to draw/alter something of my dreams (little did I know that computers would replace the pencil)...

... but my dreams looked a HELL of a lot nicer than this crap.

• 1 month later...