New headlights for the Malibu MAXX SS

I'm not sure I can say anything positive because I think

the 2006/7/8 Malibu's nose is one of the ugliest Chevy

fascias of the past twenty years. The 2003/4/5 looks

fine, in my opinion it is quite an interesting variation on

Chevy's crossbar theme.

I like lots of chrome, the "bling" headlights have never

bothered me, they're SUPPOSED to reflect light, it's a

safety item. Flat black does not mix with headlights...

I know the projectors are still in there but it just looks

cheap, honestly it reminds me of those ghastly flat

black bumper covers that were so prevalent in the late

1980s to the mid 1990s.

I actually really LOVE the fine details in some of the

projector lamps these days.... the new Eclipse has a

crazy monocle, that's a bit weird but it's better than

a ugly plain lenses like everything had in the 1990s.

The 2008 Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G35, last gen. Celica,

Chrysler 300C, 2003-6 Silverados & 2004-up BMW

5-series are all great examples of "bling" headlights

that I personally think look fantastic.

Funny how some things I LIKE about modern cars

the rest of you despise while it's vice-versa when it

comes to things like pillarless hardtops, V8s and or

RWD/BOF... :blink:

Looks pretty sweet to me. :)

Chevy's crossbar theme.

I'm the opposite on those two stylings - the earlier looks more boring/awkward to me, the latter more classy, IMO.

Chevy's crossbar theme.

I think they're both equally ugly. :P

I really like that headlamp treatment, and it is very befitting of an SS model Malibu like yours. It looks really good. And I agree with everyone who said that you should find a set of similar lamps for your G6.

I do not mind chrome trim around the housing of a set of projector-style headlamps (if the housing is canister-shaped), but I do think that having the whole housing chrome as in the units on your Malibu before the switch and your G6 is not very aesthetically pleasing and come across as a little cheap, honestly.

I prefer the `06 and up face, the pre MCE looked ungainly and just plain horrid. The Maxx body style helps too. Although the new on is much better IMO. Nevertheless, the new lighst work well with teh SS package and make it look a little more sinister.

That G6 man...can't warm up to it. :P

Thanks all. My wife likes the blingy lights, so the G6 stays as is. Though if it were mine, I would definitely get the black outs.

Any 68, do you honestly think, if I could make a case for a $650 a month car payment, I wouldn't be driving around in a new G8 GT? There's nothing more I would like then a V-8 RWD beast, but it's not in the cards right now. I'll talk to you in 2010 when I'm in my Camaro Z/28. The Malibu is a stop-gap, and though not everyone here share the opinion, in MAXX SS form, I like the car a lot.

Looks very cool!

Are those aftermarket lights, GMPD units or did you paint the innards yourself?

Darkening the lights totally improves the look. It lessens the visual impact of how gigantic they are, especially wth the refreshed facia.

I loved the set up that was shown in the Maxx Cross Country from SEMA a few years ago:

ch2004malibumaxxcrosscou945547.jpg

More (previous gen) Impala-esque!

:scratchchin::scratchchin::scratchchin:

maxx_08g6edit.jpg

Avant:

I hear ya about the G8 car payment. Just saw my first G8 today at local BPG dealership... SEXYYYYY!!!

Eve though the Camaro has turned me off with its B-pillar the justification for it is at least SEMI-legit,

but the fact that the production G8 coupe will sprout B-pillars and glued in glass is an outrage when we

have less safe, less structurally sound G6 retractable hardtops in production.

That's like saying VW can't justify building a W8 Passat while at the same time building a Parket-floor,

brass chandelier & mahogany-walled assembly line to make the W12 Phaeton.... does NOT compute!

Remember that Automobile magazine special section about American car designers and the plight of

the American car companies... the synopsis is the same old tired "start building EXCITING cars again"

AMERICAN cars, cars with pizzaz & trend setting features/styling... bringing back the pillarless hardtop

would be a great step in that direction!

Weather you like jewel headlights of flat black it's not that big a deal to swap them out & get

EXACTLY what you want... but sad to say converting a W-body to RWD or cutting out a B-pillar

and fabricating a hardtop from a 2dr sedan with fixed windows is much more difficult and cost

prohibitive to 99.5% of the population! If I had $12,000 of play money that I could use to have

a proffesional chop-shop make the Banana Boat a pillarless hardtop I'd probably just use the

$12,000 + whatever the Banana sold for to buy a gently used early 1990s Mercedes 560SEC...

- pillarless hardtop body style (fixed, sleek roof, dissapearing rear windows): CHECK

- big, comfortable, luxurious interior: CHECK

- powerfull, bulletproof (5.6 liter) V8 motor with german overenginering: CHECK

- ballin' stying that says you're living large: CHECK

Edited by Sixty8panther

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's because we have an 06 Bu, but I really dont hate the car, at all, I really enjoy the car actually. And I would love to put those lights on ours but my mom would probably kill me since it's her car, were these lights complicated to install?

I like my 06 MAXX SS. Yeah the interior isn't snazzy, but the 3.9 has some balls about it. And the MAXX hatch is very useful.

There are only two bolts that hold on the headlights, so it is super-easy. The only thing that took a few minutes was taking a metal clip that does not come with the new headlights and transferring them over. It's a clip on the wiring terminal that keeps the wires from moving. It took about 20 minutes from start to finish and that was with cleaning behind the lights when they were out.

Ebay - from a company called revotec - There are actually two companies selling the same lights on Ebay. I pick this one because with shipping included it was the cheapest by a couple of bucks (came to $177).

Here's a link to a current listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-07...sspagenameZWDVW

Very cool...