08 ACCORD EX test drive

Having seen the sedan and coupe of the new Accord in person, the sedan is disgustingly ugly, perhaps even uglier than the Toyota Camry which is surprising to do.

The coupe though, is rather attractive to my eyes although when one pulled up beside me, it seems have an even higher dash/cowl than my Golf V!

Good review. I don't really like the style of the new Accord. They've always been good cars, but this one seems a bit too big and bloaty, IMO. I liked the last gen better.

Completely agree. It was smooth, simple, and honest. Very restrained and not ungainly.

a year after i wrote this i remain unimpressed. still, this whole class of car is bland. i still haven't finished writing my 010 fusion manual review. i thought the fusion was a nicer car, for me, although the differences are close to negligible. this accord is overrated though. it does score points on cabin space.

Edited by regfootball

• 2 weeks later...

My parents have a 2008 Accord. It's definitely roomy! I like the styling better than the previous gen Accord, even if they ripped off BMW a bit. I do think it looks better than the 2010 Subaru Legacy, but that's not saying much! (I have a '07 Legacy, and I'm very disappointed with the new Legacy design.) The car is too much of a boat to be sporty, though.

Edited by vt_hokie

IMHO Honda/Acura has lost their way and I can't say that I find a single car in the lineup I want in my driveway.

Used to like the Civic SI...but Balthazar, Oldsmoboi, Carbiz, et al...had some good critiques of it.

Chris

My parents have a 2008 Accord. It's definitely roomy! I like the styling better than the previous gen Accord, even if they ripped off BMW a bit. I do think it looks better than the 2010 Subaru Legacy, but that's not saying much! (I have a '07 Legacy, and I'm very disappointed with the new Legacy design.) The car is too much of a boat to be sporty, though.

functionally the size of the new accord is welcome, i think what spoils it and makes it seem boatish is the interior design. a sprawling dash makes it seem wider than it is.

for a large car, the accord does handle ok. funny, my 06 ford 500 rode stiffer than the new accord. the new accord handles better than most midsizers, but overall i can vouch that i like the 010 fusion much more than the accord and that is saying a lot since in the past i have disliked the fusion. my test drive revealed that ford make huge advancements in the 010 fusion.

subaru really screwed the pooch on the 010 legacy redo.

it's amazing how seemingly tough it is for many of these car companies to make a decent looking family sedan........

i think a lover of the previous gen accord may likely like the new mazda6 better than the current accord.

accord and camry are losing buyers to the sonata left and right. sonatas cheaper price, better warranty, equal reliability and new nice interior are stealing buyers. as are fusion and malibu.

honda should be worried. civic and accord are two of their staples and they are quickly being eroded. not even the success of the fit can make up for it if this keeps up.

acura is even more confused. the tsx and tl are the same size? WTF? the TSX is the car that is sprawling too much now. talk about bloated.

I still can't believe headlights on Hondas don't automatically shut off if you leave them on. My friend that had an 08 accord was left with a dead battery once...

GM had that technology a decade ago? It's not that hard.

I still can't believe headlights on Hondas don't automatically shut off if you leave them on. My friend that had an 08 accord was left with a dead battery once...

my parents 88 century even had auto headlights. every ford i have had has had them. my two diamante mitsubishis even had it. a lot of GM luxury car in the 80's and 90's even had them.

The vehicle beeps at you if you leave the lights on. If I leave the lights on, turn off and exit the vehicle, I usually have a reason as to why I want the lights to remain on. I can't imagine anyone accidentally leaving the lights on, unless their buzzer is malfunctioning, or they are indeed deaf.

This "technology" certainly isn't that hard, but it is also needless. Speaking of technology, why hasn't anyone developed a satellite than can scratch my ass with a laser beam from space?

accord and camry are losing buyers to the sonata left and right. sonatas cheaper price, better warranty, equal reliability and new nice interior are stealing buyers. as are fusion and malibu.

honda should be worried. civic and accord are two of their staples and they are quickly being eroded. not even the success of the fit can make up for it if this keeps up.

acura is even more confused. the tsx and tl are the same size? WTF? the TSX is the car that is sprawling too much now. talk about bloated.

The Accord and Civic are right on par with the Camry and Corolla like they always have been. They usually don't sell quite as much, but they also offer fewer incentives and have far fewer fleet sales. They have been selling around 20k during this recession, which is as much as anyone could ask for. The Civic and Accord are not being eroded, that's just asinine. The domestics and Koreans are finally offering products that can compete, hence they are stealing a few sales. But the Accord/Civic still lead in terms of fewest incentives and fleet sales, often by a huge margin.

Acura is confused.

People leave lights on, it's hardly needless. Same day I wrote about the accord I go to a mall. A new CR-V outside with the lights on is in the parking lot. Come back an 1.5 hours later and the lights are still on. Maybe deaf people do drive cars.

Honda, Toyota, and several other brands have been behind in electronics for a long time. Obviously it hasn't hurt their sales much.