From a Cost-Benefit Standpoint....

Which One?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If You Were In My Shoes...

• 2007 Cobalt LT/G5 SE
    • 2007 G6 V6
    • 2007 Grand Prix 3.8L

What Makes More Sense? In looking for replacements for the Cavalier, we've narrowed it down to three options.

-2007 Cobalt LT/G5 SE Sedan (~20-25K Kms)

-2007 G6 V6 (25-30K Km)

-2007 Grand Prix (28-30K Km)

The Cobalt LT/G5 SE would set back about 12000$, the G6 or Grand Prix 13000$. I know that cars like the Cobalt are the most frequently abused by rental agency clients, even the G6 falls under this category. The allure of a 3800 W-Body is appealing as well. The GP we're looking at is that Grey-Green color with the black cloth interior. The G6 is that Dark Slate color with the 3.5L V6. The Cobalts and G5s are Ultra Silver with the 2.2L L4.

I will make clear that I'm not shopping for a Permanent car here. My brother will be driving around the time my dad can write another car off his company, and they would take the G6 or Cobalt, or GP in exchange for his Impala. The car would only need to serve my purposes for like 2.5yrs until I passed it on... But I'd keep the GP for my own if I liked it better than the Impala- but then again, why would I choose it if I knew it wasn't as good and I'd be saddling my brother with it (He's not a Granny Tank person like me, he likes the Epsilons, sees them as "Just Right"). I guess you see the dilemma that I face. The decision will be tough and I'd like your input.

Can you justify spending the extra "G" on a Pontiac that's bigger, or should that money just not be spent?

Which One would you choose and Why?

Here's How I see It

COBALT LT

PROS:

-4Cyl Economy

-All The Features of the Other Cars, but Cheaper

-Stereo with Aux Jack, MP3 Playback

CONS:

-4Cyl Performance

-Nil in Back Seat Legroom

-Electric Steering

-More Frequently Abused than Bigger Cars.

-Grey Upholstery

-Trim Pieces don't hold up to wear very well.

G6 SE V6

PROS:

-Hydraulic Steering

-Smooth, Efficient V6

-Lots of Interior Room

-OnStar

-Black Interior

CONS:

-Rubbermaid Interior

-Extra 1K$

-No Aux Jack

Grand Prix

PROS:

-Bigger, More Traditional W-Body

-I Actually Like the Interior Design and Color (Black)

-Hydraulic Steering

CONS:

-No Split-Folding Seats

-No Aux Jack

-Upholstery Really Sucks

-Perhaps too Big/Cumbersome for my Brother (but not me)

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

If you get a GP you have to get the GXP or its not worth it.

I think i would take that 1k and use it towards a couple options on a cobalt. Then again test drive them all because personal opinion goes a lot further than what we say.

Well, they're all used so options don't come into play but I'm trying to weigh weather a grand is worth a half foot of legroom...

oh... The driver never has to worry about the back seat. so i say go for the cobalt. 30 mpg is welcome with gas prices. plus there a little fun to drive

I would not waste my money on a Grand Prix.

I suppose since the electronic steering has been done away with for the newer G6 V6 models, my vote goes there. Just avoid the silver color option; buy a G6 in silver and it is like a tranquilizer dart to the ass. :AH-HA_wink:

The color I'm looking at is that Dark Slate color... This color:

1G2ZG58N174197056-1.jpg

Now that color, I do not have much of a problem with. The G6 looks better in darker colors, especially charcoal and black.

But, just to drive my earlier point home, here is a photo.

SANY0018g6.jpg

SANY0019g.jpg

:AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

G6 or GP tied for 1st. If it were me I'd go GP just because it's a familiar platform and I like larger cars.

Cobalt last

but.... a GP... to big and cumbersome?! It's a compact by 1960s standards.... then again, I'm driving a car that rivals my former avalanche for cargo capacity and it's size feels just about right, so my views may be slightly skewed.

Hmmmm sounds like you are picking between specific units......

If we were talking new, I'd take the Cobalt.....because you can order it up loaded, but with a stick.....and the 2.2L Ecotec is pretty peppy with the 5-speed manual.....plus it's the best economy on the list......and I'm not a big fan of the G6 and GP's pushrod V6s......

Hmmmm sounds like you are picking between specific units......

Yep, just a cherry pick between the cars that are on the lot at my regular dealer.

These Three to Be Exact-

2007 G5 SE Sedan, 18000km (10K Miles)

CT20031127144018706_2008221135226403006-

2007 G6 V6, 28000Km (17K Miles)

CT20031127144018706_200811095713306172-d

2007 Grand Prix (28000Km (17K Miles)

CT20031127144018706_20082141329158965514

I... don't think I can help with this. :AH-HA_wink:

:lol: I know. My parents test-drove a loaded Cobalt LTZ last fall and said it was a tin can in comparison to my Cavalier. Then again, the car they test drove, as was later discovered, had a bent rim, so maybe a test drive will go better this time on the G5 I'm looking at. I'm especially interested in that "Personal Audio Link" accessory, I may splurge for it as I pay invoice on parts counter stuff.

Yep, just a cherry pick between the cars that are on the lot at my regular dealer.

These Three to Be Exact-

2007 G5 SE Sedan, 18000km (10K Miles)

CT20031127144018706_2008221135226403006-

2007 G6 V6, 28000Km (17K Miles)

CT20031127144018706_200811095713306172-d

2007 Grand Prix (28000Km (17K Miles)

CT20031127144018706_20082141329158965514

Uh....I'd take the G5.....unless the dealer is willing to give you the missing wheel cover from the G6........ :lol:

Uh....I'd take the G5.....unless the dealer is willing to give you the missing wheel cover from the G6........ :lol:

Yeah, sometimes the leasebacks get there without a wheel cover or the like and they just pop a new one on for you. At least they did that for us... the Malibu was missing a Fascia Spoke wheelcover when we bought it, they just slapped one on from another car on the lot.

I'd go G5 sedan..they are nice on gas..

There's Cobalt LTs there for the same price, with the same ODO readings and same equiptment, but the G5 has a Spoiler (a must IMO), Better 15 Inch Wheel covers, and a more two tone look to the interior, not to mention that I think that sporting the Kidneys it looks better than the Cobalt from the front.

Both The Cobalt LT and G5 SE come with

Keyless Entry

Power Locks

Power Windows

Remote Start

AM/FM/CD/MP3 Stereo

4A Transmission

2.2L Engine

Power Mirrors

Air Conditioning

Cruise Control

Head Curtain Airbags

Spoiler (G5 Only)

It's a pretty loaded up model, the only things it doesn't have are OnStar (Fleet Model with OnStar Delete), XM Radio, and the Pioneer Stereo.

There's Cobalt LTs there for the same price, with the same ODO readings and same equiptment, but the G5 has a Spoiler (a must IMO), Better 15 Inch Wheel covers, and a more two tone look to the interior, not to mention that I think that sporting the Kidneys it looks better than the Cobalt from the front.

Both The Cobalt LT and G5 SE come with

Keyless Entry

Power Locks

Power Windows

Remote Start

AM/FM/CD/MP3 Stereo

4A Transmission

2.2L Engine

Power Mirrors

Air Conditioning

Cruise Control

Head Curtain Airbags

Spoiler (G5 Only)

It's a pretty loaded up model, the only things it doesn't have are OnStar (Fleet Model with OnStar Delete), XM Radio, and the Pioneer Stereo.

The Cobalt would be nice...but the G5 is different...but in a good way-it stands out in bunch of Cobalts...

It's too bad that they didn't bring the G5 sedan down here...I actually think they would sell more G5s that way....

Sounds like quite a bit on there...