• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
Camino LS6

Project Mothertruck

The bed looks cruddy but the rest looks pretty good from those photos. I agree that I'd love a place like that to work in. You should share that story sometime Camino.

The bed really isn't all that bad, most of what you see is dirt and debris. The bedsides are a bit rusty at a few spots on the bottom, but I have new GM bedsides for it. The rest of the truck is nearly rust free, there is one small spot on a rocker panel and some surface rust in small spots. The floor is perfect as are the cab corners and other spots where these trucks usually rust. For most of the last ten years, this truck has been inside.

I'll type up the story of the barn someday, it's a pretty good story.

You should definitely finish it, I think it'll look pretty sweet when it's done. Most of those trucks are in the scrapyard or beat to hell by now.

You should definitely finish it, I think it'll look pretty sweet when it's done. Most of those trucks are in the scrapyard or beat to hell by now.

I know, I know.

I really want to finish it, but financial reality says no.

I just cleaned the dust and dirt from the frame, and the new paint still looks good - got me to thinking about all I've already put into this truck.

I hate having to bail on the project when It is so close.

Alright, this one is turning into a bit of a mystery. I did the fuel pump for the left hand tank, but it won't power-up. The right hand tank will power-up and pump gas, but then there is an immediate leak. So, I isolated the leak, and it isn't coming from any of the fuel lines or their connections. It is coming from what looks like a breather in the unit that switches the tanks. All of the fuel lines go into this unit as well as the electrical harness. This tiny, slant-cut, plastic tube comes out of the unit and spews fuel when the right hand pump is energized.

I'm thinking that either the unit is bad and causing both the leak and the left hand pump not powering-up. Or there is an obstruction in the line (clogged filter maybe) and that the small tube is a pressure relief for the system. I need to pick the brains of the guys at the local Chevy shop tomorrow.

Fuel pump pics:

Test fit of new pump, the old one is off to the right

1001047yq4.jpg

new pump, O-ring,strainer,and lock ring ready to go

1001048dd3.jpg

Installed

1001049yz7.jpg

I'll type up the story of the barn someday, it's a pretty good story.

I sure hope you do type that story up. IIRC, you told me at least part of it when I visited you earlier this year.

These are 2 closeup shots I took of the stonework:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200808/020...mino12_jpg.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200808/021...mino13_jpg.html

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Every song, another scene" ... Dierks Bently ... 'Every Mile A Memory'

After a powow with the techs at the Chevy shop, we were all in agreement that the unit that switches from one tank to the other is likely the source of the trouble. I ordered a new one (expensive).

Meanwhile, I have the truck about ready for ebay:

1001103et6.jpg

1001059hr2.jpg

1001060it0.jpg

1001061tf2.jpg

1001065ad9.jpg

1001066sb6.jpg

1001067np7.jpg

1001070dc2.jpg

1001071xg5.jpg

Mothertruck Lives!

I replaced the tank switching unit and fired the monster up today.

Purrs like a kitten, err... roars like a lion?

Anyway, it runs great.

So tomorrow it should hit ebay.

But I still want to finish it.

The Mothertruck sees the light of day!

For the first time in ages, the truck left the barn - under its own power!

I drove it around "the ranch" a bit to give all of the systems a little workout. While it was out, I snapped a few pics.

I also removed what was left of the rear window. That stupid thing survived all of the moving around I did with the truck in the barn, removing the bed, and me wrenching on the switching unit, only to fall out when I shut the driver's door while getting it started!

Figures.

So, I taped-up the remains and have now removed them (no pics). The mess wasn't too bad.

Pics:

1001104lb4.jpg

1001105uf7.jpg

1001106zt4.jpg

1001107et0.jpg

1001108la7.jpg

After just one day being listed, there have been over 300 views and 17 people are watching the auction. Not a bad start, I guess.

The truck will probably meet reserve and sell because I really want to finish it. :rolleyes:

That's just the way things tend to go for me. I don't really know what to hope for: that it sells?... or that it doesn't.

$4K is a steal. The parts alone should fetch that much.

You do have the right to end the auction early if you change your mind. What if you unloaded some of the parts you don't need, and used that money to finish it off?

$4K is a steal. The parts alone should fetch that much.

You do have the right to end the auction early if you change your mind. What if you unloaded some of the parts you don't need, and used that money to finish it off?

I know.

I really need the cash, but even though it would net me alot more money to part it out - I just can't do that. I'll be taking a 50% loss at 4k, but I had to balance the immediate need vs. my tolerance for taking a hit. I arrived at the 4k number that way.

What it comes down to is that the truck will either leave as it is, or leave after I finish it. I'm in a "get on with it" sort of mood these days. And, I'd like to be able to get back to the Camino sooner rather than later.

Short of winning the lottery I can't see cancelling the listing if the reserve is met - I've already accepted that level of loss.

It's funny how these auctions run, just a handful of low bids but almost 900 views, 34 watchers, and the offer of a Mustang convertible so far.

You just never know how things will end up.

It would be an awesome tow vehicle done. If it doesn't sell on Ebay, you might join the SCCA and list it with the local SCCA folks, or the local roundy-round or drag folks, if they have a newsletter.

Although fewer people are racing because of the economy, there is still a demand for cheap tow vehicles. I'm going to mention this to a couple friends of mine, and see if I can drum up some interest for it.

Chris

It would be an awesome tow vehicle done. If it doesn't sell on Ebay, you might join the SCCA and list it with the local SCCA folks, or the local roundy-round or drag folks, if they have a newsletter.

Although fewer people are racing because of the economy, there is still a demand for cheap tow vehicles. I'm going to mention this to a couple friends of mine, and see if I can drum up some interest for it.

Chris

Funny you should say that, the Mustang guy is looking for a tow vehicle.

BTW: I love SCCA-style racing, and thanks for spreading the word!

I should know pretty soon now if the truck is leaving or I have to get back into project mode.

Either one will be better than waiting.

Looks like I had better get back to work on this one: the bidding didn't even reach a reasonable level.

So, what color are you going to paint it while you're finishing it :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah, yeah.

White it is.