Project Mothertruck

Two suggestions for you to consider...

I like the white & dark (navy) blue color scheme, and though maybe boring, I like the this factory two-tone option (note NOT the colors, just the design):

Truck5.jpg

If you have the white in the center, with the dark blue around it, and add in a white roof, I think that would be one sharp looking rig.

However, if you wanted to go for that custom two-toned look, here's another idea (substitute the red for a dark blue):

DSCN0418.JPG

I like where you are going with the "matching the El Camino" styling you posted above, but I think that would work best on a regular cab pickup, not a crew cab like the Mothertruck. However, I do like the color combo of the copper and white for the Mothertruck :smilewide:

I've been trying to make it work in my head, but I'm not there yet.

BTW: I had no plans to use the copper color on Mothertruck. If you look at the Camino, just picture the copper as dark blue and flip that scheme to the truck.

Couple things are getting in the way of making it work the way I want. One is the front marker light (gets in the way), and the other is the framed door glass.

I'd love to see some chops of various ideas.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Cloth buckets and console, tilt wheel, PW, PDL, factory tinted windows in the rear doors, cruise,...

Lots of stuff this truck doesn't have is pretty standard on most 'Burbans of that era.

I would also use the fenders and doors for sure, and could use the updated nose of the '89-'91.

Everything would bolt right up.

That's a good looking truck!

That one, and a blue metallic one I saw online last night have me re-thinking the two-tone idea a bit.

But I'm quite certain that all white will be too much.

Sorry about the "teasing" Roger, but planning out loud is all that fits the budget right now.

That gray truck is sharp...but something odd in that pic..unless it has air suspension, it looks like it's not going to fit through the garage door behind it.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit... a lot of garages built after 1975 are not well thought out. My fullsize '89 van BARELY cleared my garage door... if I unloaded it completely, it would hit... and the '95 Caprice wagon barely fits lengthwise. My GF's garage barely fits her '04 Corolla, width-wise... I was going to test fit my '99 Bonne, but the approach is so deep, no GM car I know of can negotiate it without tearing off the exhaust and grinding up the dirty bits. I would need to install hydraulics.

That's a good looking truck!

That one, and a blue metallic one I saw online last night have me re-thinking the two-tone idea a bit.

But I'm quite certain that all white will be too much.

Sorry about the "teasing" Roger, but planning out loud is all that fits the budget right now.

Don't worry about the "teasing"... all I can afford right now are free Internet pictures :lol:

I'm interested in reading about your two-tone idea(s).... :scratchchin:

Here's some donors to consider:

http://philadelphia....2801529708.html

http://philadelphia....2826896639.html

http://cnj.craigslis...2798335186.html

Or you could keep it within the same manufacturer and use a '90 Chevy clip: http://harrisburg.cr...2801191653.html

33761050002_large.jpg

post-418-0-48327100-1328072493.jpg

(though I still prefer the '89-'91 GMC front end)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

In that pic, all white actually doesn't look bad. I'd probably put the silver molding on it (as on the charcoal GMC) to break it up a bit.

I think this looks pretty sweet:

post-394-0-31132000-1328072690.jpg

Yes it does...yes it does.

Metallics do wonders for this bodystyle.

I've been looking at lots of these trucks (and likely Suburban donors), and finding that I'm a bit torn on updating from the 1988 style grille and detailing. I like the cleaner look of the 89-91s, but I already have a new GM grilles, headlight buckets, emblems, and some stainless trim. I also like the older style just fine.

Stock, or upgraded/updated - that's the debate.

800px-81-87_Chevrolet_CK.jpg

Is this the grille you have for you're '88, Camino? I know that there is the single headlight grille, but the Silverado trim usually have the upgraded (stacked) headlights. Having the body color across the vertical bar compliments the look.

As for being torn, I would go with your instincts. If you end up selling it, would it be a hassle for inspection to have the '89-'91 face? If yes, then stick with the stock '88. There's nothing wrong the Mothertruck looking like this:

1988chevyk30.jpg

Chevy_K30_1984.jpg

Those are fine looking Chevies!! :smilewide:

• 6 months later...

What's the Mothertruck market value once you fix it? Or is the intent to fix and drive?

Really tough to say, depends on what I do and how well I do it. It is a real 80k mile truck with a brand new engine and all the heavy drivetrain stuff all the truck guys love. I'd sell it when I'm done, but not cheap.