Just curious?

It's a great place to raise a family......it's clean, relatively-crime-free, cheap to live....but damn there is a serious lack of culture there. Before I left there, I never knew life existed past a strip mall or chain-restaurant.

Everyone who lives has this as their biggest complaint. It's really a beautiful place, and the peole are great, but yes the culture sucks. Tulsa isn't as bad with the art galleries and museums and the music scene is improving and has always been pretty prevelent(sp?), but it still needs work. We have a Symphony again, since Tulsa Philharmonic went bankrupt.

Everyone who lives has this as their biggest complaint. It's really a beautiful place, and the peole are great, but yes the culture sucks. Tulsa isn't as bad with the art galleries and museums and the music scene is improving and has always been pretty prevelent(sp?), but it still needs work. We have a Symphony again, since Tulsa Philharmonic went bankrupt.

It's funny.....it's even not so much the culture, but alot of the people themselves......(and I'm one of them, and my whole family is from there....so not "throwing stones.")

Alot of people from Oklahoma that I've met, are the absolute sweetest people in the world. But alot of them, that have never travelled much, or never lived in other places like either of the coasts, etc., just seem to have a certain naivety about the culture alot of us experience as a result of where we live, or where we have lived. When I first moved to Detroit to go to college, even Michigan (of all places) seemed somewhat foreign to this "OK/TX" boy......not to mention what I thought when I first came to California!!!!

There's plenty of culture in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. They are major cities/metropolitan areas......with highrises, concert halls, theatres, good restaurants (although you have to look WAY harder to find them....lol) and upscale neighborhoods. It's just that it's not embraced there NEARLY at the level more, shall we say, "well-travelled" people in other parts of the country embrace all those "things."

'Partsgirl......you and I seem to be one of the, I'm sure many, exceptions to the rule......but that's kinda how I see it. (My birth mother and her family are prime examples of this.) They simply don't have a comprehension of what it's like to live in California or NYC.....for example. It's kinda like many of us (me included) that have visited perhaps but never lived in Europe or Asia. I, as well, simply don't have a solid comprehension of what it's like to live in other parts of the world.

Make sense?

Sounds like I'm bagging on Oklahomans.....when I'm REALLY not......it's just a different way of living.

SW Washington State here, actually just southeast of Olympia.

Ven-too many of those are way too true, but we also give directions by espresso stands.

I love it out here, its quiet and a good place for the kids. Plus I have room for all of my toys (see sig)

No, I agree completely. Okies seem to have a very narrow vision of the world as a whole. But, they seem to be content with that for the most part. I know your not baggin on us, it's cool. But, I hate that alot of people don't know about the money here, the incredible houses, history, etc. We're not all the guy they always seem to find after a tornado, no teeth, livin in a trailer talking about how it sounded like a freight train. That drives me nuts. We get no press and when we do it's always negative. Hell, alot of people didn't even know what or where Oklahoma was until after the OKC bombing. Too bad.

It's funny.....it's even not so much the culture, but alot of the people themselves......(and I'm one of them, and my whole family is from there....so not "throwing stones.")

Alot of people from Oklahoma that I've met, are the absolute sweetest people in the world. But alot of them, that have never travelled much, or never lived in other places like either of the coasts, etc., just seem to have a certain naivety about the culture alot of us experience as a result of where we live, or where we have lived. When I first moved to Detroit to go to college, even Michigan (of all places) seemed somewhat foreign to this "OK/TX" boy......not to mention what I thought when I first came to California!!!!

There's plenty of culture in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. They are major cities/metropolitan areas......with highrises, concert halls, theatres, good restaurants (although you have to look WAY harder to find them....lol) and upscale neighborhoods. It's just that it's not embraced there NEARLY at the level more, shall we say, "well-travelled" people in other parts of the country embrace all those "things."

'Partsgirl......you and I seem to be one of the, I'm sure many, exceptions to the rule......but that's kinda how I see it. (My birth mother and her family are prime examples of this.) They simply don't have a comprehension of what it's like to live in California or NYC.....for example. It's kinda like many of us (me included) that have visited perhaps but never lived in Europe or Asia. I, as well, simply don't have a solid comprehension of what it's like to live in other parts of the world.

Make sense?

Sounds like I'm bagging on Oklahomans.....when I'm REALLY not......it's just a different way of living.

It's no doubt similar to people in small towns or rural areas in Ohio (or other parts of the country)...the areas I lived as a child (and that my mother and brother still live in) have lots of people that have probably never traveled outside their home county, let alone outside the state or country. I have lived in several different parts of the country, have traveled to Europe several times, spent quite a bit of time in California, and when I'm around my brother or other locals back in Ohio I get the 'stranger in a strange land' feeling...their world is so much narrower than mine....NASCAR, country music,Ford vs. Chevy, huntin' and fishin' and gun worship seems to be the extent of the culture there, and fine dining is McDonalds. It's a world I really can't relate to, though I lived there as a kid.

It's kind of sad and depressing for me to visit there, frankly. I couldn't live in rural America or in a small town..it's just too out of the modern, suburban mainstream that I'm used to (the nearest Starbucks, Target or Best Buy is 50 miles away from my mom's place).

No, I agree completely. Okies seem to have a very narrow vision of the world as a whole. But, they seem to be content with that for the most part. I know your not baggin on us, it's cool. But, I hate that alot of people don't know about the money here, the incredible houses, history, etc. We're not all the guy they always seem to find after a tornado, no teeth, livin in a trailer talking about how it sounded like a freight train. That drives me nuts. We get no press and when we do it's always negative. Hell, alot of people didn't even know what or where Oklahoma was until after the OKC bombing. Too bad.

Its amazing how the news can always find the few people who would really rather your area NOT be represented by. I swear, they must drive around for hours looking for these people, either that or hold auditions.

Its amazing how the news can always find the few people who would really rather your area NOT be represented by. I swear, they must drive around for hours looking for these people, either that or hold auditions.

I know, it's the damndest thing. I see people like that but only very rarely. Maybe it's because most news about us is tornado related, and they mostly only hit rural areas. Still, there are plenty of intelligent, well-kept people in rural areas. Oh well. I like it here, but I've always in or close to Tulsa so I haven't had to deal with driving 50 miles to Best Buy. It's only 3 miles from my house. LOL

North Carolina! C'mon and raise up!

Take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' hand

Spin it like a helicopter!

North Carolina! C'mon and raise up

This one's for you, uh-huh, this one's for who?

Us, us, us!

Petey Pablo: most underappreciated poet of our time, or most underappreciated poet of all time?

"Who am I??!!" "Petey Paul, motherf___a!!!!" That's still hot, even to this day.

-------------

Anyway, to answer the thread.... I was born outside Atlanta (Riverdale to be exact), grew up in Newport News, VA (no, I never met Michael Vick), and now I live in the suburbs of Baltimore, MD, though that is subject to change.

Out of state tuition is a SOB, am I right? :AH-HA_wink:

Not really I go to chiropractic college and am only paying about $25K/year right now. And we go year round.

Although U of L was quite a bit cheaper IIRC. Although cost of living here sucks donkey nutz.

Not really I go to chiropractic college and am only paying about $25K/year right now. And we go year round.

Hmm ... :scratchchin:

I might have to check the cost of my tuition again. I am planning on going to the University of Cincinnati in the near future, headed into the transportation track of Industrial Design (automotive design, basically), and someone told me that tuition would "run up way up there."

Then again, the cost of tuition to go to the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan is only thirty grand per year, so I do have my doubts.

Hmm ... :scratchchin:

I might have to check the cost of my tuition again. I am planning on going to the University of Cincinnati in the near future, headed into the transportation track of Industrial Design (automotive design, basically), and someone told me that tuition would "run up way up there."

Then again, the cost of tuition to go to the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan is only thirty grand per year, so I do have my doubts.

Well I think we both know that the Speed School of Engineering at U of L isn't your best bet for the automotive field, although they have worked w/ Ford on a few projects.

Well I think we both know that the Speed School of Engineering at U of L isn't your best bet for the automotive field, although they have worked w/ Ford on a few projects.

Which projects? If one of them were the new Ford Focus, then I know I should definitely stay away! :P

Edited by YellowJacket894

Which projects? If one of them were the new Ford Focus, then I know I should definitely stay away! :P

Well when I was there some guys were talking about working on the Hummer replacement w/ Ford (this was up until about 2003). From what I saw it was nothing more than an F150 bumper with some tape on it. Who knows? Rumors fly about all kinds of things.

Really, come to Southern California and we'll argue about it. NY isn't all that, though it's better than some places.

NYC used to have a lock on the cultural and vibrant lifestyle. But alot has changed over the last 20-30 years. Alot of cities have caught up (or begun to catch up) with New York's mystique.

Hell, even in Las Vegas.....the country's most "faked" city, I'm constantly astounded at the (high) level of dining, shopping, and entertainment to be found there now. That didn't used to be the case. But MUCH of this new-found "culture" actually originated from NY (and southern California.) Many top-rated NYC chefs have opened up restaurants in Vegas.....and as for shopping? The most exclusive "names" are located in Las Vegas now.....

Chicago certainly doesn't deserve it's title as "Second City" anymore.

Los Angeles, for so long a seemingly "cultural wasteland" will stand toe-to-toe with NYC on ANY front today with regards to culture, enterainment, and societal impact......make no mistake.

It's still an interesting and intriquing place.....and I enjoy every chance that I get to visit......but I wouldn't necessarily want to live there (even if I had enough money to live in Manhattan comfortably.) Take the "mystique" of NYC out of it, and there are too many other far-more-pleasant places to live these days. (Realizing "pleasant places to live" is entirely subjective depending on who you are talking to.)

New York City (and other top international cities) is great because the best of it can all be experienced fully without being dependent on a car. Its not diluted by gas stations, donut shops, big box stores and parking lots etc sapping it of character and energy all over the place. It has a very walkable and safe city core with lots to experience after office hours.

Edited by frogger

Same here, KY native and future resident. For now going to school in MO.

where?

We're practically neighbors, I'm in Springgy, MO

then i live just down the road.

evidently the new sink hole capital of the area, Cape Girardeau, MO going on 20 since this year...? biggest "city" between st louis and memphis.

New York City (and other top international cities) is great because the best of it can all be experienced fully without being dependent on a car. Its not diluted by gas stations, donut shops, big box stores and parking lots etc sapping it of character and energy all over the place. It has a very walkable and safe city core with lots to experience after office hours.

......but so do San Francisco and Chicago.....and even smaller cities like Seattle, Portland, Boston, and Philadelphia offer all of that as well........(maybe in smaller doses in some cases....)

I lived there for a few years as a kid (talking 4-5 years old......)

You should come back and visit. The town really seems to have built up recently. I have only been here for 2 years and lots of new stuff all the time. My school (Logan) also just built a really cool auditorium, it is now voted among the top 10 most beautiful campuses in the US.

You should come back and visit. The town really seems to have built up recently. I have only been here for 2 years and lots of new stuff all the time. My school (Logan) also just built a really cool auditorium, it is now voted among the top 10 most beautiful campuses in the US.

I still remember it vaguely....even though I was so young. It seemed pretty built up even then from what I remember......but at the time, it seemed to be where the St. Louis suburbs ended. I'm sure the city has sprawled even further west past Chesterfield by now......

Myself?

The Communist state of TaxAchusetts. (Massachusetts for you noobs)

I wish I didn't live in such an ubber-liberal locale.

XP715, SpeedingPenguin, Dodgefan & his g/f Jessichan are also from Mass.

I still remember it vaguely....even though I was so young. It seemed pretty built up even then from what I remember......but at the time, it seemed to be where the St. Louis suburbs ended. I'm sure the city has sprawled even further west past Chesterfield by now......

St. Charles County is where a lot of new housing construction is going on now.