So, smoking

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandfather smoked, had his first heart attack at 38, kept smoking, and died from his second heart attack at 59.

My father smoked, had a heart attack at 42, and thankfully lived so he could quit.

His cousin smoked, had a heart attack at 40, and died.

I'm all set with continuing that pattern.

Edited by XP715

Half pack or less per day for me. not quite a year at this point, though I've smoked off and on for the past 2-3 years (less than half pack per day).

What are your favorite brands? I like Camel Lites, and can go for Parliaments every so often, but mainly I stick to the Djarum Blacks--I find I smoke a lot less of those.

Camel No. 9s are also pretty damn good even though they're an ultralite marketed to women...they are very good.

What are your favorite brands?

I am partial to Marlboro Reds, Camel Turkish Royals, and a few others.

However, I hate Kools and Kentucky's Best. If you want to smoke something that tastes like a pile of horse$h! smells, try a Kentucky's Best cigarette. :rotflmao:

Technically, I quit smoking after 1.5 cigarettes. Tho all my friends smoked, I had the foresight to see that starting something that nearly everyone tries desperately to quit at some point... was pointless.

My grandfather smoked when young, got a tough bout of bronchitsis around age 18 and threw them away, never smoked again. He'll be 93 this year.

Yea, it gets to the point where the frustration is mostly in that you know you don't have total control.

But the thing is...smoking is really enjoyable. Definitely helps you decompress, relax, and sort through things. It's also really social.

I guess the thing is...I really don't want to quit, but really just keep the intake low.

ETA: That's why I switched to Djarum Blacks...yea they're more expensive, but they're clove cigarettes (kreteks) and they don't make you reek. Plus they burn slower, and aren't any worse for you than normal cigarettes.

Edited by Croc

I kind of want to quit, mostly for the money and it's a hassle. But, my hubby refuses to even consider it, he says he likes to smoke and isn't ready. His health is far worse than mine I think, and I want us to do it together. It would be much much harder for me to quit while he sat here lighting up.

If you want to smoke something that tastes like a pile of horse$h! smells, try cigarette.

Fixed.

I don't like not being in control of myself, so being addicted to smokes kinda ticks me off. Add in the cost of a pack and I'm feeling pretty tired of the whole thing. I started when I was 13 and I think I'm way overdue to dump the damn things.

That's the other thing that keeps me away, although the mere fact that it's horrible for my health and smells and no doubt tastes like is more than enough. That $h! is expensive.

Only the finest crack this side of Charlotte...

J/K I've never smoked anything at all. My dad smoked around me for years and I hated every minute of it. My allergies and sinuses are so bad that being in a bar or smoke filled room for an hour makes me pay the entire next day. I do still frequent bars though... :)

I can't do it even if I wanted to, which I really don't.

1. Asthma runs in my family. My dad has it pretty bad. I have a touch of it that I control with diet and conditioning.

2. My mom used to smoke until I was about 12. When she quit I became extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke.

3. I like to ride bicycles now, and smoking would only impede my ability to do that.

4. All the money I could spend on cigarettes is better off being spent on some other presssing need in my life.

Yea, it gets to the point where the frustration is mostly in that you know you don't have total control.

But the thing is...smoking is really enjoyable. Definitely helps you decompress, relax, and sort through things. It's also really social.

I guess the thing is...I really don't want to quit, but really just keep the intake low.

ETA: That's why I switched to Djarum Blacks...yea they're more expensive, but they're clove cigarettes (kreteks) and they don't make you reek. Plus they burn slower, and aren't any worse for you than normal cigarettes.

No offense Croc, but I'm glad I don't hang out with you. Those clove smokes kill me, I'm a huge,sneezing, red-eyed mess when I encounter the smoke from one of them.

I'm not a fan of cigarettes... it's a gross habit.

I have been known to enjoy a good cigar from

time to time and for a short time used to enjoy

"alternative tobacco" if you get my drift... :P

One of the few vices I don't have. I watched my sister quit for 4 years when she had her baby, then one puff at a party and she was hooked again. My ex tried to quit about 18 times in the 10 years we were together (longest he lasted was about 3 months). Usually after a couple days, I would go out and buy him a pack and light them for him because he became such a screeching banshee of a person. So, I have a lot of sympathy for smokers out there. It is one helluva habit to kick.

Technically, I quit smoking after 1.5 cigarettes. Tho all my friends smoked, I had the foresight to see that starting something that nearly everyone tries desperately to quit at some point... was pointless.

My grandfather smoked when young, got a tough bout of bronchitsis around age 18 and threw them away, never smoked again. He'll be 93 this year.

My grandma is one of the exceptions to the rule. She'll be 65 or 66 this year, and she's been smoking since she was in her teens. She's healthier than my grandpa who hasn't smoked a day in his life.

Edited by blackviper8891

My grandma is one of the exceptions to the rule. She'll be 65 or 66 this year, and she's been smoking since she was in her teens. She's healthier than my grandpa who hasn't smoked a day in his life.

It's always odd when you see something like that, but it happens for sure.

I know you're just a young'un, but take it from someone much older than yourself: 65 (or 66) ain't that old. Even now, if she stopped, the level that her lungs would benefit is astounding.

Hey Lamar, could you sing solo for us? :AH-HA_wink:

I grew up around smokers, all of whom have quit. I cannot stand to go into a smoke-filled bar, my eyes get all teary and red, bleh, horrible. I do not understand the appeal. I took about 3 puffs off a cigarette once, and I've taken a few off some cigars. The taste was ridiculously disgusting. And "alternative tobacco" is truly a powerful aphrodisiac. I haven't done that in like 4 years.

I smoke Dunhill's. Nice strong cigarettes (though they were redesigned last year, and have become a bit worse).

Lately have been smoking a bit too much (more than half a pack a day). :nono:

I actually LIKE the smell of cig smoke, so hah! :lol:

On a side note, I dunno how American smokers get away with the smell on their clothes/person, as it is way way stronger than Canadian cigs. :huh:

3. I like to ride bicycles now, and smoking would only impede my ability to do that.

I smoke WHILE I ride my bike. :blink:

4. All the money I could spend on cigarettes is better off being spent on some other presssing need in my life.

That I agree with. :(

Been smoking since I was around 17-18, it began as a social thing at bars and around friends...until the day I walked into a gas station and bought my first pack. Previously i would bum cigs off of friends....but from that first pack, it's been downhill since...lol. I started with Parliment lights, then Marlboro Lights, then Marlboro reds....finally settling on Newports, reason being, I smoked a ton of pot back then and a Newport would make me feel higher right after a joint or a blunt. So I stuck with Newports. I've been smoking Newports now for about 6 or 7 years and I've cut down a bit, I smoke about half a pack a day, maybe less sometimes...in the past I would smoke a pack to pack and a half a day. During my time using cocaine I would smoke 2 packs in a matter of hours while on blow. So between the cost of the coke ( not cheap) and the smokes ( not cheap) and the paranoia and everything else, I just had enough and quit the drugs and cut back on the smoking a bit.

I smoked very rarely in social situations, IE totally hammered and bummed one off a friend for no particual reason. Last year when i took off from college to work full time, way over full time since it was 80-90 hour weeks, i started smoking for the buzz it can give you in order to help consentrate on work. I got to about 1-2 packs a week at my peak and smoked for about six months. Beggining of this year when I went back to school I quit cold turkey and haven't touched one since.

Now, I DO love a good cigar on ocassion but I view that as a treat and not a habit.

I get a migraine just from being around someone who smells like smoke. They don't even have to be smoking to cause the headache and need to throw up, they just need to smell like it.

I know I will piss some of you off, but I think it should be illegal to smoke ANYWHERE in public that someone else might have to smell it. I've gotten migraines from people driving down the road with their windows open while smoking. It's not fair I should suffer because someone else has a bad habit.

Who else other than me is an addict?

Don't smoke, but I drink about two gallons of coffee a day which makes up for any health benifit I get from not smoking.

Chris

Only the finest crack this side of Charlotte...

J/K I've never smoked anything at all. My dad smoked around me for years and I hated every minute of it. My allergies and sinuses are so bad that being in a bar or smoke filled room for an hour makes me pay the entire next day. I do still frequent bars though... :)

...the only crack available down in the Carolina's is plumbers crack...

Chris

Same thing here...

My grandma has been smoking for a long time, and is a very healthy 80. She still has clear lungs and still does a lot of physical activity.

I guess she's lucky but I certainly hope I inherited those genes.

...the only crack available down in the Carolina's is plumbers crack...

Chris

Psssh, didn't you see American Gangster? North Carolina and drug trafficking go together like Sixty8 and classic Buicks. My neighbor I grew up next to until I was five is now spending life in prison for it. And it's not just shipping the drugs north from Florida, there is plenty of drug use going on locally as well. It's not just good ol' boys making moonshine anymore.

Who else other than me is an addict?

I used to smoke.....haven't during the last three weeks.

I was the kind of smoker that would smoke pretty regulary......but it was habitual for me......when I was drinking, first thing in the morning when I was having coffee, or when I was stressed.

However, I'd go away on a business trip, or my parents would come visit.....and I could stop smoking on a dime and not even have the urge to light up. That's what is really wierd.

I think my smoking habit is more habitual than nicotine-addicted........I haven't smoked at all the last three weeks while Joe has been here.....nor have I had any urge.

I'd say at my height, I was smoking a pack every three or four days or so......