2007 Solstice wishlist

I wonder if GM internally has a list of improvements for the next Solstice. I hope they have better interior materials on the list. Right now it's better than the Grand Am, but still not quite there yet. The fit and finish I think could be a bit better. At least try to hide the edge of the panels:

Posted Image

It would be nice if they can move the tailpipe back to the middle of the bumper. Or if they make twin pipes standard, it would be nice as well. If they can engineer it as well, an automatic retracting spoiler.

A coupe should be considered, unless they have something on to fill the void of the Sunfire left. Given the Cayman is out now, Pontiac might want something to go against it. It would sound wierd for Pontiac to go after Porsche, but who knows.

Anything else to add to the list?

I find it weird that I probably would have the biggest list of needed improvements, yet I am probably the biggest Pontiac fan here. Huh... :huh: Anyways... here's my list. :lol: :P Interior: -More metal trim. As it is, there is very, very little... Two pieces on the steering wheel. Wow... Somehow, it needs incorporated into the design. Dash, door panels, etc... It would really add a nice touch to the interior. -Better quality plastic. Every review comments on the poor plastic quality. It needs fixed. Now. -Cup holders. Could you put them in a worse place? Seriously, the only usable one while driving is on the passenger's side of the center console. -Better seats. They look flat and reviews say they are unsupportive. Idea: GTO seats ---> Solstice. -Crisper design. Not all new, just needs a bit of refinement. Nothing on the center stack has any flow. It's all just placed wherever... -More color choices. Usually I don't care, but... it needs more choices. All black, black/gray, black/beige, gray/beige, and a choice of black/exterior color would be great. Exterior: -Front fascia. It looks outdated and bulbous. The rounded silver grills, the large divided circular DRL/signal/fogs, the single element "that $15k car has more expensive looking" headlights... How about an edgier grill with black recessed honeycomb, smaller circles with just fogs, and multi-element headlights with projector beams, turn signals, and a black housing. That sounds much better... -Exhaust tips. Just one? Come on... its not an econocar, its a sports car. Two is a minimum. -Tighter fitting top. See those wrinkles... get rid of them. -Windsheil frame. I really don't like the silver. Either make it black or body-colored. -Top colors. Black... that's it? Need more, please. -Wheels. Although I like these wheels, I think there needs to be more styles. -Door handles. No chrome please... I hate chrome. Body colored... No ifs, ands, or buts about it. -Rear spoiler. Before you roll your eyes at me, listen. I do not like the placement of the 3rd brakelight. It's just there, not integrated by design. As others have said, a retracting spoiler would be nice. Have it so there is just a slight lip at the end of it and place the light on it. It would seriously look nice. -Taillights. They look plain, just like the headlights... (and the lights on just about every freaking GM vehicle. Stupid GM traits, I hate them) Either tint them or clear them with a black housing. As for the reverse lights, the removal of that red reflector is all that is needed. Other -Removable hardtop. I love the look of one. It could be for added integrity and better insulation. Although the fact that the trunk wouldn't be able to open with it on might prevent this... -Coupe. Make it look exactly like the concept and get it here. -Turbo GT/GXP/whatever model. Basically, do the changes listed above, but with subtle differences to tell it apart. For one, ground effects would be nice. As would bigger lipped spoiler, unique and bigger wheels, more front intakes, recaro seats, and so on... -Trim levels. As you know, I hate calling somthing "base". It's retarded and cheap. So, instead it should be SE with GT trims. The upcoming turbo would be GXP. :D

The Solstice needs only one modification: DOUBLE production cause this baby will resurect Pontiac like the Vette woke up Chevy in the mid 50s. Is it perfect? NO, far from it... but it makes a car that is considered to have defined a niche (Miata MX5) look like crap. Mazda is probably going WTF just happened here? WE OWNED this segement and after the assault by BMW Z3/Benz SLK/Audi TT & Toyota MR-S it's PONTIAC that kisks our ass?

-Rear spoiler. Before you roll your eyes at me, listen. I do not like the placement of the 3rd brakelight. It's just there, not integrated by design. As others have said, a retracting spoiler would be nice. Have it so there is just a slight lip at the end of it and place the light on it. It would seriously look nice.

[post="33109"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-Better quality plastic. Every review comments on the poor plastic quality. It needs fixed. Now.
-Better seats. They look flat and reviews say they are unsupportive. Idea: GTO seats ---> Solstice.

I say this with all seriousness, look at and sit in the car yourself before you criticize thing slike this. Your Grand Am sucks, you realize that? Reviews say so.

Hey BV- you left a few things out. Like that little 4-in x 4-in section of sheetmetal right behind the door, you know the one; the gently crowned area down low... it should have more crown to it, and maybe a sporty panel seam running thru it... at an angle, too. Now.

Also, the removal of that GM badge is a must. Either that or place it on the rear. Then there is the XM antennae. Does it really have to mounted on the truck the way it is? How about we use what Cadillac is using and hide it. Finally, is that side scoop mounted behind the arrowhead functional? I've seen some pics which make it look like it is and some like it isn't. Make sure it is... just for the hell of it.

:D

I say this with all seriousness, look at and sit in the car yourself before you criticize thing slike this. Your Grand Am sucks, you realize that? Reviews say so.

[post="33158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude, how many times have I said that, personally, I could give a crap about this kind of stuff. Being a Pontiac fan will do this to a person... But, you know what... It shuts people up, especially the rags. If they complain, improve it. Improving the materal quality isn't going to hurt Pontiac any... If anything, it will help; regardless of whether it needs it or not. Of course, this is typical GM thinking to only making something 'good enough'.

BTW, I still haven't been able to look at and/or sit in a Corvette or a GTO yet... So when do you expect me to do this with a Solstice? Being that this is Brookville, three years from now, if I'm lucky. It's a called rural dealer... So, for the most part, I can only rely on what reviews say. Either from a C&G member or a rag. Get used to it.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

[post="33158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry, Fly, but I have to disagree with you on this one. It's not the reviews that I saw this problem. I saw it with my own eyes and felt it with my own hands. There exists a problem.

Sorry, Fly, but I have to disagree with you on this one. It's not the reviews that I saw this problem. I saw it with my own eyes and felt it with my own hands. There exists a problem.

[post="33178"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're not disagreeing with me at all. That was my point - you saw and felt yourself.

While we are at it, lets throw in the LS7, make all the body panels out of carbon fiber, aluminum frame, and everything else that was listed previously. Since after all it costs less than $20,000, and every other manufacturer has everything listed on their car for that price dont they? Ok, now back to reality, this is 9/10s a Corvette for less than half the price. Just let me get in and drive the thing.

Call me crazy, but my first two will probably just annoy everyone here. :P 1. Why 20/28mpg? The HHR with the 2.4 and similar gearing(plus 350 more lbs.) manages 23/30 let alone the Cobalt figures. Boost the MPG, it's important now. 2. OMG that trunkspace borders on ridiculous. What, u couldn't manage to wrangle more that 3.8 cu. ft. of space? While maybe not a priority in a roadster, maybe I'd like to have a suitcase or two, or maybe some groceries AND a passenger. Reconfigure something to get just a bit more storage space please. 3. The GT model or whatever the supercharged/turbo model is called, needs at least 240hp, anything less would be pointless. 4. While I like the look overall, I'd like to see a slightly more agressive front fascia, definitely less snub-nozed. Perhaps some subtle changes could fix that a bit. I still haven't seen one yet, waiting for the Seattle auto show... 10 more days :lol:

1. Why 20/28mpg? The HHR with the 2.4 and similar gearing(plus 350 more lbs.) manages 23/30 let alone the Cobalt figures. Boost the MPG, it's important now.

I could be wrong... but I think that FWD vehicles get a bit better gas milage compared to RWD vehicles... not sure why but that's just what I've heard.

As for what I would improve upon.. I'm with most of the arguments mentioned already.
Improve the interior (throw in a 6 speed).
More aggessive Exterior, as it stands now I think a Saturn is more aggessive looking than a Pontiac :blink: , not saying the Pontiac doesn't look good... it certainly does and very eye catching... just could be better.
That's all I can think of now... Edited by Decka

I haven't driven it myself, but CanadianDriver is calling the current Aisin "a four speed with a huge overdrive". So it looks like the overall powertrain can do some polishing. Also, it seems the way that generally Pontiac powertrains tend to have slighly less mileage than their corporate counterparts. Maybe it's just tuned that way for more power... Edited by ToniCipriani

[post="33178"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree TOTALLY! And the poor-fitting door panel is one of my main gripes (in addition to the cheap plastics.) When you see it in person, the gap is big enough to see down into the door....and you could easily grap the inner door panel with your fingers and it flexes like you could pull it right off the door.

By the way.....the all-black interior looks WAY better than the VERY strange light grey/beige combo.....

The Solstice needs only one modification: DOUBLE production cause this baby will resurect Pontiac like the Vette woke up Chevy in the mid 50s.

Is it perfect? NO, far from it... but it makes a car that is considered to have defined a niche (Miata MX5) look like crap. Mazda is probably going WTF just happened here? WE OWNED this segement and after the assault by BMW Z3/Benz SLK/Audi TT & Toyota MR-S it's PONTIAC that kisks our ass?

I think the Solstice will sell well, but Mazda doesn't have to worry...the Miata has a much nicer interior and is about 400 lbs lighter... (not to mention 15 years of previous owners and the established reputation).

And the poor-fitting door panel is one of my main gripes (in addition to the cheap plastics.) When you see it in person, the gap is big enough to see down into the door....and you could easily grap the inner door panel with your fingers and it flexes like you could pull it right off the door.

Damn... My Grand Am doesn't even have those problems. :blink:

Quit exaggerating so much.  It just weakens your credibility.  The color combo isn't strange at all.  I've seen it, and I think it looks quite good.  Mountains and molehills, there are bigger things in this world to stress about.

[post="33546"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, the beige looks OK, but it must be matched with the correct color. My choice is Envious (dark green) with two tone gray/beige, a little more beige than gray. Earlier Bimmers are keyed this way. And for some reason Pontiac doesn't offer that combo.

I agree TOTALLY!  And the poor-fitting door panel is one of my main gripes (in addition to the cheap plastics.)  When you see it in person, the gap is big enough to see down into the door....and you could easily grap the inner door panel with your fingers and it flexes like you could pull it right off the door.

[post="33526"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know my Cavy had that problem, but certainly not the Solstice. There IS a gap, but absolutely not as big as you described. Again, see my photo.

I know my Cavy had that problem, but certainly not the Solstice. There IS a gap, but absolutely not as big as you described. Again, see my photo.

[post="33579"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uh, yeah it is...

I was in a showroom looking for one....and started pulling the door panel away from the door and stopped....because I felt I was going to rip it off the door panel.

That's not right....and just plain crappy.....and GM should be ashamed.

For the record, my parents' 99 Regal GS had the same problem. The door panels were really shoddily attached and you can easily pull them away from the doors.

What I don't understand is why my GA's doors are not like this?!?!? Damn, I can pull on them and they will hardly budge. But its not like you're supposed to be pulling on the door panel in the first place. :huh:

[post="34196"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Of course you shouldn't be pulling it off.....but it's a good example of one area of the car where GM really should have put more thought into.....that's all.....

You want to know the biggest problem wiht the Solstice? you want me to tell you? no seriously I've got ONE big problem wiht this car here it comes, ready or not: The biggest problem wiht the Solstice is that there isn't one in my driveway right now. This thing is awsome. I love it! Althought Moltar's point is valid... Miata buyers are a loyal breed.

WHO IS GOING TO PULL THE DOOR PANELS??

Not consumers...maybe mechanics, and frankly I'd like easy removal so the parts don't break when they ARE removed...

I think your criticisms border on the ridiculous to the inane.

[post="34705"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And many GM engineers and marketers have had the same exact opinion as you for too many decades....

".....it's okay....it's acceptable....people won't notice...."

The cheap, hollow, plastic door panels that aren't even trimmed and finished at top are a prime example of GM's famous cost-cutting.....have YOU sat in one yet with the windows down and even looked at what I'm complaining about?

Stop making excuses for the company.....