GM crossovers wow dealers

By Jamie LaReau Automotive News / October 24, 2005 LAS VEGAS -- General Motors revealed the names of two of the three crossovers it will launch for the 2007 and 2008 model years at its Dealer Business Conference here last week. The GMC crossover vehicle will be called the Acadia, dealers say. The name was confirmed by a GM source. A concept version of the Acadia will debut at the Detroit auto show in January. Dealers will receive the Acadia as a 2008 model after they get the new GMC Sierra pickup next fall. The Saturn crossover will be called the Outlook, GM told dealers, confirming a previously rumored name. The Outlook is due next fall. The Buick version, which replaces the Rendezvous sport wagon and Rainier mid-sized SUV, has not been named, dealers told Automotive News. It is expected for the 2008 model year. The Acadia will be bigger than the mid-sized GMC Envoy and will come in front-wheel- and all-wheel-drive versions. The vehicle will seat eight people, dealers say. Dealers praised the crossovers' styling. "The Buick mid-sized luxury sport 'ute' is a jaw dropper," says John Rogin, owner of Rogin Buick in Livonia, Mich. "It is dramatic."

Thanks for posting this, Northstar.

If Buick doesn't yet have a name for it, I don't think they should call it "Centieme," especially if that is defined as 100th. Not the right name for the vehicle at this point. Would they use Invicta? Roadmaster? Will they poll the auto show crowds for suggestions? But they do need a name - we can't keep saying "the Buick mid-sized sport ute" :rolleyes: or "Buick Lambda crossover" indefinitely.

At odds with what Automotive News stated, is the Buick still coming out (earlier than anticipated) in '06, as an '07?

I think it was mentioned by one of the insiders that it wouldn't be Centieme because it's too hard to pronounce. I would like to see Centurion, which was the original name of the Centieme concept, but perhaps it's too old-sounding for some.

my desk managers were quite impressed... they mentioned a few nice things that the new vehciles have... i dont know if its been mentioned here but electrically operated tailgates of some sort... not really sure... but this is on silverados of course... I think that was the only specific thing they mentioned besides the brillance of the GMT900's...

Here are the links to the photos --- (correction made)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gal...IVKEOWFHCBS.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gal...ICTTGPSVIOI.jpg

This is from http://www.thecarconnection.com they say its "Saturn's new SUV based on General Motors' Lambda architecture." Edited by jlbunting

Does anyone know what the Lambdas are going to be exactly? I always thought they were going to be a Chrysler Pacifica type vehicle / Rendezvous replacement / RX330 competitor But in another thread it is rumored that they may end up replacing GM360, which sounds like a very different type of vehicle any ideas?

See, what'd I tell ya.  I wouldn't steer you guys wrong.  These are great products!  The only thing I'm worried about is fuel economy.

[post="33310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hopefully, they'll offer DOD and Hybrid versions a couple of years after they're introduced.

See, what'd I tell ya.  I wouldn't steer you guys wrong.  These are great products!  The only thing I'm worried about is fuel economy.

[post="33310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

AH-HA you have previously mentioned the Lambdas as getting a dohc V8 that is not the northstar, correct? Was there any mention of DOD on the V8?

Does anyone know what the Lambdas are going to be exactly?

I always thought they were going to be a Chrysler Pacifica type vehicle /  Rendezvous replacement / RX330 competitor

But in another thread it is rumored that they may end up replacing GM360, which sounds like a very different type of vehicle

any ideas?

[post="33341"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They're the same type of vehicles as the Pacifica, etc. that you mentioned. The GMT360 replacement rumor/discussion was about whether Lambda would eventually replace the 360s later on.

Original mileage figures were estimated at 30 MPG for the Lambda crossovers.

Now the actual figures are 25-27 MPG.

Interiors are said to be fantastic.

[post="33357"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I assume that means 25-27 on the highway, right? That's really not hat bad considering the Malibu Maxx SS I saw yesterday got 24 on the highway! :o

If I've done my search correctly, the only "live" unused Buick names GM presently has filed with the U.S. Patents & Trademarks Office are:

Invicta
Bengal

Other possibilities, including Centieme, Roadmaster, and Wildcat :o, are "dead."

I'll be happy to be corrected by thegriffon or anyone else in the know.

pontiaccrest: Shades of the Ford LTD! Sounds more like a trim line, anyway.

I assume that means 25-27 on the highway, right? That's really not hat bad considering the Malibu Maxx SS I saw yesterday got 24 on the highway!  :o

[post="33483"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dem fuel efficient pusherod vee-sixes...

... are hopeless without a tall final drive.

CD/BP: If it wouldn't cause any problems for you to answer, may I ask a few questions?

1. Have you had an opportunity to photograph any spy shots of the Buick crossover?
2. Would this type and make of vehicle -- in general -- be of any interest to car publications, or do they prefer non-SUVs or Toyotas, Hondas, or even other GM makes, etc.
3. Since the Buick has been shown to the media and will be on display at some upcoming car shows (not too long from now), is the likelihood that we'll see a photo of one diminished?

Thank you very much for being a part of this forum.

Here are the links to the photos --- (correction made)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gal...IVKEOWFHCBS.jpg
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gal...ICTTGPSVIOI.jpg
This is from  http://www.thecarconnection.com they say its "Saturn's new SUV based on General Motors' Lambda architecture."

[post="33330"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Fixed the photos... enjoy.