Opel Insignia unceremoniously revealed a week early

The folks at AutoWeek.nl decided to take the wind out of Opel's sails by posting images of the new Insignia before it released official information later this week. We've seen the basic shape and several details of the Insignia when Opel sent out "official" spy shots of their new D-segment player (think Mondeo, Passat), but these newest pictures tell the whole tale, sans artful camouflage.

Due to hit dealers in Europe this October, the Insignia will replace the Vectra and come equipped with a handful of diesel- and gasoline-powered engines, ranging in displacement from 1.6- to 2.8-liters. Both 1.6-liter and a 2.0-liter turbocharged engines will be equipped in the entry level models, with a 250 hp, 2.8-liter V6 powering the range-topper. Diesel mills packing 1.9-liters of displacement and outputting 120 to 150 hp will also be offered, and there's also talk of a 180 hp, 1.9-liter turbo and a 2.9-liter V6 diesel.

The Insignia is relevant to those of us in the States since it will likely replace the Saturn Aura in the next few years. The styling is a slight step above Saturn's current sedan, with an attractive front clip and a rather dynamic swage line that begins aft of the front fender and runs parallel with the rocker panels.

The Opel Insignia will be publicly debuted at the London Motor Show this July and we should see a Saturn variant making its way to the U.S. sometime around the turn of the decade.

01_insignia_leak.jpg

02_insignia_leak.jpg

03_insignia_leak.jpg

05_insignia_leak.jpg

07_insignia_leak.jpg

Source: Autoblog

Edited by Dodgefan

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abysmal interior. So cheap-looking. Why the multiple panels along the side of the console/center stack? I see two poorly-fitted panels when one would appear to suffice. I know it's pre-pro, but interior fit and finish is abysmal.

I hope we get a different, less cheap-looking woodgrain trim. The Malibu interior looks much more upscale.

Center console looks very plasticky and cheap. Like looking at it, I don't want to rest my elbow on there. The charcoal-colored universal dash upper and door panels looks sterile and cheap. C'mon GM...if you're going to go for universal upper dashes and door panels, pick a color that isn't so drab.

Now, I like the exterior. The front looks very expensive, and the profile is fairly dynamic. I want to see the rear in person, because from the rear 3/4 angle it looks kinda droopy, but that isn't a tacked-on spoiler...so I gotta see how it all comes together in person. The large CHMSL looks good, though I want to ensure the whole thing lights up and not just a thin strip surrounded by acres of red surround.

Exterior: B+

Interior: D

Overall: C-

"This is what we've been waiting for? Half-baked would be a compliment."

Gaaawd I hate those FWD proportions. <_<

Well, you guys bawled and moaned until you got an "integrated" radio. Now you got it, and it's just as brainlessly complicated looking as any freaking Honda.

It does look small, but that's ok as long as it gains interior space over the current car. Overall, it's not as ugly as I'd feared, but it is not exciting at all.

I just had to chuckle when I first saw the nose: so much hate that has been displayed on this site for Camry, and here we have the next Aura with a very familiar setup. you know, there are similarities, but it's not exact, but the similarities overall will remind many of the Camry, the lines and bulging details in the hood and grille, the way the fascia juts out, the exact positioning of the one headlamp that acts as the eye, of course the shape of the grille. but you'll find no hate from me, I think it's attractive on the Camry, and this goes quite a few steps farther. Of course, it will be left to be seen what the American team manages for execution in the lower levels of trim, and if we'll even see this level of execution at all, or this upper trim model.

there's also a case of the G35 hot-ness in the stance, sculpting, and greenhouse design.

this is a tremendous update! it's more elegant, more refined, classier, more detail-specific, more in vogue than the current Aura. The surfacing, shapes, and lines are all more up to date than the Aura is.

Is this exactly what we'll get? it should be.

the interior execution is fantastic.

it's more upscale than the malibu, camry, and matches what the accord does in upper trim levels, though overall it's more attractive and sportier than that car. the opel interior blows away any interior in the midsize segment, though this is obviously what our most expensive aura would look like.

Edited by turbo200

Guest aatbloke

Since the first accurate renderings began appearing late last year, I've believed the Insignia to look utterly boring. Actual photographs do nothing to alter my opinion.

Vauxhall/Opel have produced yet another duffer, a car which yet again will be eclipsed by the Mondeo. As with the previous Vectras, this will far from be a bad car. But it won't be anything exciting either, and as with the Vectras which preceeded it, is likely to be sold mostly to company fleets and suffer depreciation worse than Turkish Lira.

The real problem with the Insignia is the exterior design. It looks way too mainstream Japanese saloon I think to suit most European tastes, almost to the point of complete anonymity. The 2002 Vectra was a far better looker, although it also was dumbed down by its 2005 facelift. The Insignia's interior looks like a marked improvement over the Vectra, though.

The D-segment is cutthroat stuff, but on looks alone it already fails parlessly compared with the Mondeo, Passat, 407 and delicious new Citroen C5. I'm looking forward to see how it drives.

Well first, not for nothing, I think that the Alfa looks like a dust buster,but yeah the Mondeo is better looking, but this isn't bad at all. Everyone that hates the Insignia already does know these are just leaked photos? You could at least wait for the better pictures till you declare the car a complete and utter abomination, because it has one too many buttons for your taste.

Guest aatbloke
Well first, not for nothing, I think that the Alfa looks like a dust buster,but yeah the Mondeo is better looking, but this isn't bad at all. Everyone that hates the Insignia already does know these are just leaked photos? You could at least wait for the better pictures till you declare the car a complete and utter abomination, because it has one too many buttons for your taste.

I think you're the only person I've ever witnessed criticise the styling of the 159. But not only does the 159 look great, it drives well too. I don't "hate" the Insignia - I never even inferred any such thing. As with the Vectra, it'll likely drive exceedingly well, but it also looks exceedingly anonymous. The rear styling especially looks like it'll age rather quickly. Vauxhall/Opel's staunch conservatism suits some tastes, but in the mainstream European D-segment - which also competes with the junior exec sector - they're not going to have an easy time with another staid looking car.

As for "better" pictures - there's plenty of clarity in these images.

Edited by aatbloke

For mid-range Insignia money, I'll take a base model version of one of these instead:

AR_909.jpg

you're kidding, right?

that alfa looks like a chinese or indian car

as for the insignia, it's a kind of passat/altima blend and the interior is quite dashing. maybe in europe it'll tank, but here i think it will do ok if they advertise and promote it and if they give it the insignia badge.

it looks as good as a current passat, but with a nicer interior and will be priced better. ah, but it won't have that import badge. argh.

Edited by regfootball

I think it's thoroughly modern, well-proportioned, and upscale-looking in a way that no other midsizer can seem to manage.

Overall, it looks like a quantam leap over the design of the current Aura, which hasn't dated well IMO.

The side profile shot even reminds me of the XF.

I'm not surprised one bit in regards to how it looks. Just as I expected. Even the interior...I didn't understand the praise the interior of the concept received. I thought it was nothing special. I actually think the production interior looks better (except for the tiny screen...hope it comes with nav) which isn't saying much anyway because I still don't think the interior is that great.

The exterior is just...blah...It has nice features, but unfortunately those features were executed in a poor manner in my opinion. The side profile just ruins it for me with the front overhang.

I could go on, but this car just does nothing for me even when it comes to giving it criticism...It's no better or worse than any other generic car out there, be it the Malibu, Camry, Accord, whatever....It doesn't appeal to me. Be that as it may, it will probably do very well, as that seems to be the case among cars like this.

Guest aatbloke
you're kidding, right?

as for the insignia, it's a kind of passat/altima blend and the interior is quite dashing. maybe in europe it'll tank, but here i think it will do ok if they advertise and promote it and if they give it the insignia badge.

it looks as good as a current passat, but with a nicer interior and will be priced better. ah, but it won't have that import badge. argh.

No, I'm not kidding - but as soon as I saw the name "regfootball", I knew the question didn't matter.

Edited by aatbloke

Gross! Not much to write home about here, this is a car that goes to show you how unimaginative designers are becoming. Camry frontend, Chrysler Sebring backend, and then a mish mash of other car designs in between. I agree that the current Aura is a much better looking car. Sorry GM after firing a string of recent hits, this one is a dud!

It's 'OK' in a segment that requires more than that to truly succeed (i.e. get sold beyond company cars.)

GME is in trouble with this one. Ford did the Mondeo right (& especially its Galaxy/S-Max mates).

Anyone know if our version (Aura) will have the LWB? I believe the proportions would work better with more wheelbase.

you're kidding, right?

Have you seen one of those Alfas in person? They look really good.

I still like the Insignia... it looks handsomely understated.... and far better then the awkward looking Accord sedan.

Guest aatbloke
Have you seen one of those Alfas in person? They look really good.

I still like the Insignia... it looks handsomely understated.... and far better then the awkward looking Accord sedan.

My next-door neighbour, who's an absolute Alfa nut, has a silver JTD.

My next-door neighbour, who's an absolute Alfa nut, has a silver JTD.

I'm going to have some very difficult choices once I get to Germany. I really want an '08 CTS diesel, but the Alfas really call to me. The BF wants an Astra Twintop.... I wouldn't be disappointed with one of those either. This Insignia is also a possibility.

Not sure what to think.. Maybe I had set my expectations too high after the Malibu. This looks decent but very derivative to me. I'll wait till I see more pics/video etc. Not thrilled with the amount of "wood" and how it wraps all the way across the windshield. I've never been a fan of the front hood seam showing on the side of the vehicle. Hopefully the trunk and its opening are more usable than the pic makes it look. Funny how the wheels from the old Aura pre-production vehicle shots made it into a pic.

Edited by frogger

What a hideous car...

The rear looks like my dog when he's squating to fertilize the grass, the side is a direct rip off of the Holden Coupe 60 and the nose is an even more direct rip off of the Malibu.

What has happened to Opel? Their designs used to convey sportiness and class all the same. The interiors used to be beautiful. Now we get this thing that looks like a Korean monstrosity with a cheap "black tie" interior. (I know it isn't, but it sure as hell tries hard to look like black tie)

If this is the future of GM, count me out.

I just had to chuckle when I first saw the nose: so much hate that has been displayed on this site for Camry, and here we have the next Aura with a very familiar setup. you know, there are similarities, but it's not exact, but the similarities overall will remind many of the Camry, the lines and bulging details in the hood and grille, the way the fascia juts out, the exact positioning of the one headlamp that acts as the eye, of course the shape of the grille. but you'll find no hate from me, I think it's attractive on the Camry, and this goes quite a few steps farther. Of course, it will be left to be seen what the American team manages for execution in the lower levels of trim, and if we'll even see this level of execution at all, or this upper trim model.

It's a lot like the Camry, except the Camry looks BETTER The Camry (T-Face, or whatever the hell they call it) has a certain strength in it's look that this car lacks.

there's also a case of the G35 hot-ness in the stance, sculpting, and greenhouse design.
I guess so, if you're into disproportionately large greenhouse design.

it's more upscale than the malibu, camry, and matches what the accord does in upper trim levels, though overall it's more attractive and sportier than that car. the opel interior blows away any interior in the midsize segment, though this is obviously what our most expensive aura would look like.

I don't know why all of the import people think a car like this is so attractive. Why must our 'products' look as if they're mass produced and BLAND in order to be considered competent and "classy"

Shouldn't a much more crafted and individualistic look convey class and sophistication much more than say, a dime a dozen Wal-Mart Accord? Am I missing something?

It's 'OK' in a segment that requires more than that to truly succeed (i.e. get sold beyond company cars.)

GME is in trouble with this one. Ford did the Mondeo right (& especially its Galaxy/S-Max mates).

Anyone know if our version (Aura) will have the LWB? I believe the proportions would work better with more wheelbase.

From what i understand ,the Aura will be on LWB version of Epsilon II, the LWB version of Epsilon II will be as wide as the Impala.

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM

It's a lot like the Camry, except the Camry looks BETTER The Camry (T-Face, or whatever the hell they call it) has a certain strength in it's look that this car lacks.

I guess so, if you're into disproportionately large greenhouse design.

I don't know why all of the import people think a car like this is so attractive. Why must our 'products' look as if they're mass produced and BLAND in order to be considered competent and "classy"

Shouldn't a much more crafted and individualistic look convey class and sophistication much more than say, a dime a dozen Wal-Mart Accord? Am I missing something?

Because the Accord and Camry are the standard bearers in the midsize category. The public likes vanilla.

It looks good, IMHO..clean and modern with a few character creases and a distinctive rear end. Certainly not as bland as the FWD generics GM has churned out for the last 25+ years...(and is only recently moving past w/ the new Malibu, Aura, etc).