Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

FUSION TEST DRIVE

7 posts in this topic

its a nice car, but it didn't wow me, yet it felt and drove competently. Seats are really nice and have good lateral support. The car handles well although I can confirm it is a little tough getting it to move off center as noted in a couple of road tests. But it also has nice heft to it at speed as well. Power was alright, not bad, not great. The engine coarseness is more tuned out on the Fusion than the 500 but it's still there some. The car is tighter feeling than the Taurus so those thinking it would be as roomy, well, I don't think it is. I feels very low. Not as wide, either. Dash and interior plastics are quite nice although Ford's cheesy corporate radio and climate controls downgrade the thing some. C'mon Ford, stop it with the crappy looking radio. It would likely be fair to say the Accord interior might still have the best execution overall but the Fusion is nice and distinct enough and high quality enough to say its darn close to equal. Lots of folks will be happy with this car. It didn't wow me becuase its not edgy enough. For me, the Fusion is another cruiser, although its road manners and ride are Euro-comfortable to a point. Its good enough to be taken seriously. Maybe the SVT version will have the sugar buzz. Having driven the 06 Passat 4 cylinder I can safely say that car is more fun and maybe a little nicer inside as well, the Fusion is decently close. The only 06 Impala I've driven is the SS and even if the Impala design isn't as hip it would be a more fun car, even with its fluffy and soft suspension. But the SS is much pricier. I can't comment on the v6 Impalas. I've never driven an Altima v6 yet, but i have a Maxima. I can say though if you want a midsizer with attitude, more power, sharper steering, and much more room the Galant is the way to go, in spite of its industrial interior. The Fusion is a little more polished than the Mazda 6, but the Fusion still shares some of the overall feel. Those who like the Grand Prix should note that the GP has a more sporty overall character still, but its not quite as refined as the Fusion. I'm not buying one. Cabin's a bit small and it needs the 3.5. This car is stylish, drives well, and is comfy, but its not the messiah some were expecting it to be. Its a great first step towards keeping ford relevant and deserves to sell 300k a year. Anybody have any questions....i.e. was the trunk big...etc. Edited by regfootball

trunk was smaller than i expected, not miniscule. not as big as the taurus, about the same size as the accord and mazda 6. i think the malibu's trunk is bigger, or at least more useful. The transmission was good, certainly not as nice as the VW 6 speed tiptronic, but not as horrible as the typical Ford 4 speed automatic. Shifts were noticeable but muted. The engine needs more gusto.

The Malibu has a really big trunk for its size. I know a 2000 Malibu has a bigger trunk than a 2000 Impala. And the 04 Malibu's trunk makes the 2000s look small.

I still hold the Accords interior to be the standard in style, execution, layout, everything. But I like this car, not as much as the Milan, but it's still very nice. I look forward to seeing all three next to one another at the auto show in Janurary.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room