ATTENTION Knightfan!

My dad liked it quite a lot ... :scratchchin:

It is apparent he wants a Monte from this particular generation over the car he almost bought.

This one is something special.

I always knew a handful had been built with manuals, but this is the first one I've seen for sale '

Ever.

This one is something special.

I always knew a handful had been built with manuals, but this is the first one I've seen for sale '

Ever.

His reaction was exactly like yours. It came as quite the surprise to him as well.

He kind of wants to buy it, but is afraid that he cannot afford it because of its rarity and the resulting value. :P

Back in 2000, almost to the day, when I was still just a kid in

college I passed by a driveway with a white/black/black 1972

Monte Carlo for sale. It was $2800 o.b.o. & overall this solid

and 100% roadworthy car was a great bargain.

Mostly due to still living at home with my parents I passed on

the deal and regret it to this day.

I looked at a very rough (Florida rust, A& C pillars rotted)

1971 Monte Carlo about a week ago, I've been thinking IF I

sell the B-59 or the Banana I just might go with a MC.

It would HAVE to be a hardtop and therefore the 1st gen. is

the only one that interests me. This car, having been built

& lived its life as a 4speed makes me DROOOOOL!!!

It's a WOW car for sure, sity eight. and I have regretted not buying a couple of Black on black Monte's. They jsut look "right" that way.

My son Joel loves black cars, so this would be a great father/son car for us. Gonna check and see when the auction ends.

Chris

Oh, my bad Chris... I meant white car, black roof, black interiror.

But yes, tripple black would be EXTRA SICK!!! :smilewide:

*raises eyebrow suspiciously*

Ya know, I think that might be one of the MCs some of the FGMCers have been discussing. I'll have to check when I get to that forum tonight. BUT ... I'll be interested to read their take on how authentic this one is. I know we have never seen proof of a factory manual in a 1st gen MC. I'll have to copy that link and paste it to a thread over there yet tonight.

*****EDIT******

Yep, indeedy, they done been talkin' about it:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubbth...t=5&fpart=1

Thought I had read a bit about it ... he he

Even so ... awesome car, indeed, Camino ;). he he. Thanks for thinking of me!

BTW ... MCs DID have a manual from the factory ... in the third generation (1978-1980) ... believe just '78 and '79 though. A friend in college had a boyfriend with a light blue with white interior factory manual transmissioned '78 MC.

YS ... I believe I know of a few other First Gen MCs for sale, if your Dad is really interested....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"All it needs is just a little time" ... Jeff Carson ... 'The Car'

Edited by knightfan26917

YS ... I believe I know of a few other First Gen MCs for sale, if your Dad is really interested....

If you know of a decent running example for under five-grand, without major rust issues, and that is no farther away than about 150 - 200 miles away from central Kentucky, please drop me a PM! From what I understand, he really wants a first-generation Monte Carlo over anything else he could spend his money on. :)

Oh, my bad Chris... I meant white car, black roof, black interiror.

But yes, tripple black would be EXTRA SICK!!! :smilewide:

White car, black roof, black interior would be fine also. That was the way my 70 Chevelle was done, and I always thought that was a good looking combo.

Chris

Ya know, I think that might be one of the MCs some of the FGMCers have been discussing. I'll have to check when I get to that forum tonight. BUT ... I'll be interested to read their take on how authentic this one is. I know we have never seen proof of a factory manual in a 1st gen MC. I'll have to copy that link and paste it to a thread over there yet tonight.

*****EDIT******

BTW ... MCs DID have a manual from the factory ... in the third generation (1978-1980) ... believe just '78 and '79 though. A friend in college had a boyfriend with a light blue with white interior factory manual transmissioned '78 MC.

There were MT cars in that gen I think also, but again very rare.

Chris

Off topic I know...but,

...and another rare MT Chevy I think I've told Ya'll about before. Back in 69 my friend Alan ordered a new 69 Camaro, red on red, with a 350 4v and a Close ratio 4 speed.

He chickened out on the 350 and ordered a 307 instead, but forgot to change the tranny choice on the order form. That was probably the only red on red 307 4 speed 69 Camaro the general ever built!

Sadly, Alan went blind a few years later and had to sell the car. Interestingly, he learned to play chess after he was blind and went on to play in the national blind chess championship several years in a row.

Great guy! I'm glad he got to enjoy that Camaro before he lost his sight.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

*****EDIT******

I really hope those guys contact the seller and get some answers, I'd like to know what the deal really is. Either the car is real and has some incorrect parts added, or the seller is doing something illegal. He has quite a lot of documentation, so I'm still leaning toward the former. I believe you can re-body a car legally, but both VINs need to remain with it. At least I think that's how PA does it.

If you know of a decent running example for under five-grand, without major rust issues, and that is no farther away than about 150 - 200 miles away from central Kentucky, please drop me a PM! From what I understand, he really wants a first-generation Monte Carlo over anything else he could spend his money on. :)

Hmmm....under $5K? I'll have to double check, but I've been seeing some 1st gen MCs on CraigsList recently...don't remember if they are under $5K or not, though. If they are, I'll try to remember to grab the link and post here for ya ;).

**EDIT**

Does he want a project ... or a "done" car.

Project:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubbth...8516#Post138516

I know the guy selling that one ... met him when I was in SC this past November.

I really hope those guys contact the seller and get some answers, I'd like to know what the deal really is. Either the car is real and has some incorrect parts added, or the seller is doing something illegal. He has quite a lot of documentation, so I'm still leaning toward the former. I believe you can re-body a car legally, but both VINs need to remain with it. At least I think that's how PA does it.

I agree ... I'm not sure how that really works, but it just seems weird. I KNEW they had been talking about it at FGMC, but wasn't 100% sure until I read the thread the other night. I wasn't online last night (mentioned why in the earthquake thread), so I'll be heading there next to see if anyone contacted the seller....

**EDIT**

Hmmm....from RichG in that thread:

"I emailed the seller. He says that the previous owner told him it was "re-bodied". He is basically admitting that the vin was swapped, because we know all that happened was the 4-speed setup was installed into the 72 car, keeping it's original 2bbl motor and 10 bolt rear. I'm certain he doesn't have a clue about how illegal this all is!"

Well, the documentation certainly makes it appear to be a legitimate example of a Monte Carlo with a manual transmission.

*nods*

Indeed ... but, I've seen other things that aren't legit.............

*sighs*

"No good news in the news this morning" ... Lacy J Dalton ... 'Black Coffee'

Edited by knightfan26917

Hmmm....under $5K? I'll have to double check, but I've been seeing some 1st gen MCs on CraigsList recently...don't remember if they are under $5K or not, though. If they are, I'll try to remember to grab the link and post here for ya ;).

**EDIT**

Does he want a project ... or a "done" car.

Project:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubbth...8516#Post138516

I know the guy selling that one ... met him when I was in SC this past November.

Thank you, Cort. :)

The Monte you linked to does not look too bad, but if you notice in the interior shot which displays the dash, the are some really dark spots in the carpet and Dad thinks these are probably areas where the floorboards have rusted through.

As for if he wants a project or finished car, well ... let's just say he wants a car that is in need of a some TLC, but nothing major. :AH-HA_wink:

Thank you, Cort. :)

The Monte you linked to does not look too bad, but if you notice in the interior shot which displays the dash, the are some really dark spots in the carpet and Dad thinks these are probably areas where the floorboards have rusted through.

As for if he wants a project or finished car, well ... let's just say he wants a car that is in need of a some TLC, but nothing major. :AH-HA_wink:

*nods*

You are welcome.

Yeah, I noticed that about the interior carpet dark spots....but, at the time, wasn't sure how much of a project car your Dad wanted... But, now I know ;).

Anyway, an option....

'74 (yeah, I know, 2nd gen)...

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/648291078.html

I'll keep a lookout for ya ;).

*nods*

You are welcome.

Yeah, I noticed that about the interior carpet dark spots....but, at the time, wasn't sure how much of a project car your Dad wanted... But, now I know ;).

Anyway, an option....

'74 (yeah, I know, 2nd gen)...

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/648291078.html

I'll keep a lookout for ya ;).

Hmm ... that actually looks really, really good. Dad is asleep right now, but I will show him this tomorrow if he is not too sore to walk. I do not think he would really mind a pre-MCE second-generation Monte (in fact, he has said so in the past; I suppose the look of the stacked headlamps of the '76-'77 models were not for him). Thanks again, Cort. :)

Edited by YellowJacket894