douglask

Ford's Global Large RWD Vehicle Spyshots near Dearborn HQ

19 posts in this topic

Spy Photos: Future Ford Falcon

ford.falcon.det.4.kgp.500.jpg

DEARBORN, Michigan — Spy photographers continue to spot prototypes of future Australian-built Falcons near Ford's Glass House headquarters here, fueling speculation that Ford of Australia is playing a leading role in the development of Ford's future rear-wheel-drive vehicles in North America.

Inside Line reported last July that Ford's Australian subsidiary is doing much of the initial engineering work on a new family of rear-wheel-drive coupes and sedans for the U.S. for model-year 2012. The automaker's new Global Large Rear-Wheel-Drive Vehicle platform, as it is known internally, is expected to provide the base for the next-generation Crown Victoria, Mustang and Town Car in North America. For Australia, there will be replacements for the Falcon, Fairlane and LTD sedans, and there may also be a new rear-drive flagship sedan for Ford of Europe.

Ford's new RWD platform is being engineered to accommodate both V6 and V8 engines, including the new twin-turbo gasoline direct-injection TwinForce power plants that are being developed in Dearborn, as well as the company's new dual-clutch six-speed PowerShift transmission. Among the TwinForce engines reportedly under development for North America are a 3.5-liter V6 and a 5.0-liter V8.

Last month, Ford of Australia unveiled a heavily face-lifted Falcon, with new exterior and interior architectures and designs, an all-new front suspension, plus new powertrains with more power, more torque and better fuel economy.

Mor photos and original article:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125413

Is it me or does that seem like a large front overhang for a RWD vehicle?

An american company that is doing RWD right

(Unlike GM)

That spy pic looks basically like a Ausi Falcon.... how is that any different from GM?

Is it me or does that seem like a large front overhang for a RWD vehicle?

I was ready to agree with you (adding that it looks a bit like a Chevrolet Cobalt), but it might just be the angle. The rounded nose at this angle seems to give it more length.

Maybe it's the camo & or added length (disguise) but this thing is ugly

and has the WORST proportions of any RWD vehicle I've seen in my

life. I'm dead serious too.

F- for the proportions, stance & greenhouse.

I think the vehicle in the photo looks more like a cobbled together test mule than a preproduction car in disguise. It seems a little early for them to be testing anything other than test mules at this point.

Judging a design from a mule that is no where indicative of the production vehicle? Uh-huh, right.

This mule is probably testing suspension components and the like.

That is the Orion Falcon - Falcon of NO kind is being used as the basis for the future global RWD Ford. That platform is brand new being built from scratch in Dearborn with serious imput from Australia.

there will be one more Falcon (Huntsmen) between now and the GRWDP Falcon.

Igor

I think I found the inspiration for their mules:

84-avo.jpg

:lol: :lol:

OMG! Thank you! I couldn't place why this just didn't look "new" to me!

That is the Orion Falcon - Falcon of NO kind is being used as the basis for the future global RWD Ford. That platform is brand new being built from scratch in Dearborn with serious imput from Australia.

there will be one more Falcon (Huntsmen) between now and the GRWDP Falcon.

Igor

Igor what is going on with the 'control blade' suspension? Is Ford AUS still using it?

Igor what is going on with the 'control blade' suspension? Is Ford AUS still using it?

Control blade is still present on the C1 Focus/Mazda3/5/VolvoS40/C30/V50 it is also present on the new Falcon.

Ford is to evaluate bits and pieces of the Huntsmen platform for carryover parts, especially the virtual-pivot front suspension and the control blade rear suspension. However they will pick and choose only the useful pieces - and build the rest anew - like the Zeta program from GM - with one exception - the program will be housed by Ford NA - not Ford AU - Ford AU already has a big global project on the table - the new global Ranger.

Igor

That spy pic looks basically like a Ausi Falcon.... how is that any different from GM?

The fact that Ford is actually doing large RWD cars past 3 years from now.

if they bother with this, they should do a ground up platform. no sense in keeping old junk. ford really does not need a RWD platform unless they really want the cop and cab market. in that respect this is ok. I just hope they do what GM didn't..make AWD optional.

Ford AU already has a big global project on the table - the new global Ranger.

Igor

That is an interesting development IMO. So AU will be Ford's Homeroom for the midsize/compact truck while GM Brazil will be making its competitor. I think this could be an interesting battleground for these guys to take back some market share from the Japanese.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead