Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Ford turns to nanotech to cut pounds, save fuel

14 posts in this topic

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/04/ford-turns-to-n.html

"Lotus Cars founder Colin Chapman once observed, "To add speed, add lightness." Now, the Ford Motor Company is putting a modern spin on Chapman's statement: To save fuel, add lightness. During this week’s 2008 SAE World Congress in Detroit, the company announced a broad initiative to enhance automotive materials — and lighten the cars themselves — through the use of nanotechnology, a broad scientific field wherein materials' properties and chemistry are manipulated on the atomic or molecular level to achieve a desired outcome.

Guided by a goal to realize a 40-percent boost in fuel efficiency by 2020, Ford's scientists are working to reduce vehicles' curb weights by some 250 to 750 pounds, depending on the model, using nanoparticles to create materials that weigh less but sacrifice nothing in terms of strength, performance, or durability.

Areas of focus for Ford include exterior paints that adhere better, stay bright longer, don't chip, and efficiently dissipate heat. The company is also studying ways to make lighter, stronger alloys for engine castings and scouring every nook and cranny for weight-loss opportunities.

For instance, Ford's lab in Germany has created a spray-on nano-coating that may replace cast-iron cylinder liners. The substance wears hard and cuts friction losses significantly, at a fraction of the iron liners' weight.

Ford estimates that by 2015, some 70 percent of automotive materials will be modified or redefined by nanotechnology."

this is probably mr ceo, and his previous ties to aircrafts to help with research...

i cant beleive this hasnt been already started... i mean hydroforming created a lot of help, usually 2 times stronger with half as much metal... it was brilliant... but difficult to intigrate into the vehicle.

Good luck with that.

When you get hit by a 4500 lbs. suv in your 1600 lbs. Focus we'll talk

about the real world benefits of lightweight vehicles. I'd love to own

an ultra lightweight '93 McLaren F1 but I'd hate to get rear ended by

a Lincoln Navigator in one.

this is just PR to appease the greenies. Ford, like GM knows their customer base will be mad if they don't continue to build brick sh1thouses with great crash test ability and long term freeze thaw durability.

Smartass reply of the day: will we get tiny nano-engines, with tiny nano-transmissions, that use tiny nano-gasoline/nano-diesel molecules? What about Tata: won't they sue because they have their own Nano? :smilewide:

Edited by ZL-1

this is just PR to appease the greenies. Ford, like GM knows their customer base will be mad if they don't continue to build brick sh1thouses with great crash test ability and long term freeze thaw durability.

Ford can't even built a BOF truck that crashes well... the '97 F150

crash test that was posted here a few years ago & pops up from

time to time, is scary. Ford gives American cars a bad name... but

still atleast the ket the Panther chassis alive for 12+ years after

GM decided so stupidly to TELL their customers what they should

be driving instead of listening to the consumer.

The '04+ F-150 has a five star crash rating, and Ford has the most five star rated vehicles of any manufacturer. GM hasn't always been a saint...anybody remember the U-body van crash?

BOF SUVs are on their way out anyway. Sure there will always be Tahoes and Expeditions on the road, but even here in the middle of the heartland I have noticed small cars replacing traditional SUVs in droves. The threat of "carnage-by-SUV" won't be nearly as great in a few years.

With that said, I'll take my chances with a Ford that is 400 lbs lighter and saves me fuel without sacrificing performance or size. Better 0-60 times, less trips to the gas pump, and less money going to the fat cats in Dubai and Saudi Arabia. The Fox Mustang used to be 3200 lbs (same as my Lumina)...now it is creeping up to 3700. I don't really see how anyone would be against vehicles that handle better, perform better, and guzzle less.

Edited by mustang84

now you understand why the geenration of F series after that one gained so much curb weight.

Good luck with that.

When you get hit by a 4500 lbs. suv in your 1600 lbs. Focus we'll talk

about the real world benefits of lightweight vehicles. I'd love to own

an ultra lightweight '93 McLaren F1 but I'd hate to get rear ended by

a Lincoln Navigator in one.

uhm, isn't the mclaren the one that can withstand a 30 mph head on collision and drive away with no major damage to the passenger compartment?

uhm, isn't the mclaren the one that can withstand a 30 mph head on collision and drive away with no major damage to the passenger compartment?

That doesn't sound like anything amazing...

That doesn't sound like anything amazing...

ok, well in the video i saw it drove away fine and just had a crushed front end...i think it's pretty amazing to drive away from that, esp. in a mid engine car.

point is the carbon fibre kept it together really well. it's just a bad car to pick for the analogy that was being made

M84:

Great point about the U-body.

Mostly I was playing devil's advocate. This is a mixed bag... reducing weight drastically.

Anyway as far as the McLaren it does sustain a crash very well but thats becuase the

damn car cost $1.3 MILLION dollars (keep in mind this is in 1997 money) and that

aforded a LOT of carbon fibre & other technology that is cost prohibitive on production

cars lke some Ford Taurus or Edge.

One awesome safety related feature on the McLaren F1 is an exhaust system that also

acts as the rear crumple zone, complete with 24K gold plating for heat dissipation!

M84:

Great point about the U-body.

Mostly I was playing devil's advocate. This is a mixed bag... reducing weight drastically.

Anyway as far as the McLaren it does sustain a crash very well but thats becuase the

damn car cost $1.3 MILLION dollars (keep in mind this is in 1997 money) and that

aforded a LOT of carbon fibre & other technology that is cost prohibitive on production

cars lke some Ford Taurus or Edge.

One awesome safety related feature on the McLaren F1 is an exhaust system that also

acts as the rear crumple zone, complete with 24K gold plating for heat dissipation!

haha...i know where you are coming from, but that is funny

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0