Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Igor2

The Ranger is Dead – Long Live the Ranger (www.autosavant.net)

24 posts in this topic

The Ranger is Dead – Long Live the Ranger

The Ford Ranger will take a short holiday

By Igor Holas | 04.17.2008 | www.autosavant.net

RGR08_pg_ext_005_lg.jpg

Much has been written about the stupidity of letting the venerable Ranger wither on the vine and lose its sales crown to Toyota’s Tacoma. Many writers, editors, and bloggers took it upon themselves to come up with new and innovative ways to call Ford shortsighted and use the Ranger’s demise as a case in point that Ford is in the fast lane to bankruptcy. However, behind the scenes, Ford is readying a duo of new trucks to be released in the wake of the Ranger’s demise, and is also planning an ultimate return of the Ranger to the US market.

Internal sources have recently confirmed that the Ranger will be discontinued after the St. Paul assembly plant is shut down next year. We also had it confirmed that, at least for several months, Ford will not be producing any truck smaller than F-150 in North America, and will be just selling down inventory of already-built Rangers. However, Ford is not to be absent for long in the mid-size segment.

MUCH MORE HERE

Igor

Funny how a few short years ago the Ranger was the best-selling small pickup and now it's dead.

Return of the Bronco? Sweet. Pay attention GM.

I like how they will have something in the compact, midsized and large segments, something the competition doesn't have. GM needs to bring back a true compact truck that's 90% as capable as the Colorado/Canyon but with better mileage.

:yes:

Been saying this for a while now.

It amazes me that the whole industry abandoned true compact trucks in our market.

Lately I've talked to several about the Ranger and none of htem knew that it was even still in production. I always liked the Ranger a lot. It's too bad Ford seemed to just let it go by the wayside. I'm glad to see that they willbe bringing them back. I hope the new one is as good as the old.

I inherited a 2006 Ranger Sport in red, which I decided to keep. It's a nice little truck when I need one. Right now it's back home in Delaware.

Is there enough of a truck market to merit small, mid, and large trucks from the same manufacturer? Seems like it'd be better to just do small & large, or mid & large. Truck market is shrinking, small trucks may catch on again, but I'm not sure three truck sizes is merited...

Is there enough of a truck market to merit small, mid, and large trucks from the same manufacturer? Seems like it'd be better to just do small & large, or mid & large. Truck market is shrinking, small trucks may catch on again, but I'm not sure three truck sizes is merited...

Actually 4 sizes if you count the Super Dutys as the extra-large models. Who knows, with gas prices rising, maybe the smaller truck market will heat up.

I've known about the F-100 for a while, but the Bronco comes as a nice surprise. This seems like an extremely smart plan; I think more and more are going to shift to the F-100 as gas prices continue to rise. Yet, keeping it an "F-Series" name will allow Ford to expand the sales umbrella. And hearing that the Bronco will be a true 4x4 and not a lifestyle truck is icing on the cake.

The Ranger is the most pathetic RWD product on sale in the USA today.

Every one I've driven, 1980s all the way to the 2005s & 2006s at the

dealership last year feel like complete pieces of $h!. I honestly can not

say ANYTHING positive about these POSs. Underpowered, bland, ugly,

underwhelming, rickety, cheap, tacky, poorly designed & poorly built,

I mean this thing gives BOF/RWD a baaaaaaaad name.

I do however think that Chevy needs a new LUV or something along

the lies of the old School Datsun pickups of the late 60s.

BOF, RWD, four banger (ecotech!) & available with 5/6 speed manual.

I like the Bronco idea...I had a Bronco II back in the day, and a smallish, modern 2dr Bronco would be great..

Edited by moltar

I hope this comes true, it sounds great.

Sounds like a plan, and until I see products, I don't believe a word of it.

Both GM and Ford had better embrace small trucks in a very big way - soon. Gas is hitting $5 a U.S. gallon around here today. I had a couple yesterday with a Buick LeSabre looking at an Aveo.

The New Reality is coming.

The New Reality is coming.

The same thing was being said with the first oil crisis. But do you know what happened eventually? Technology built better cars and people began up-sizing again, trading in their Fiestas and Chevettes for Tauruses and Celebrities. Who is to say this "New Reality" is permanent?

when the whole 70's oil crisis occured, did anybody think thered be a 505 HP AND 620 HP Factory vette that got 20+mpg on the highway

Did anyone think we'd never be able to make 5mph bumpers seamlessly integrate into a cars design?

things change guys... thats life... but its not all gloom... hell, the next few years may be dark for the enthusiest, especially us V8 lovers... but im not gonna lose hope, because i feel the technology the automakers will debut within the next 10 years is gonna blow us all away....

and this is from a kid who absolutley hates technology in cars :P

Exactly.

The last two posts are spot on. Who knew that the awesome 1996 Impala SS

& CTS V-series would someday replace the Caprice 4.3s & Seville 8-6-4s.

when the whole 70's oil crisis occured, did anybody think thered be a 505 HP AND 620 HP Factory vette that got 20+mpg on the highway

Did anyone think we'd never be able to make 5mph bumpers seamlessly integrate into a cars design?

things change guys... thats life... but its not all gloom... hell, the next few years may be dark for the enthusiest, especially us V8 lovers... but im not gonna lose hope, because i feel the technology the automakers will debut within the next 10 years is gonna blow us all away....

and this is from a kid who absolutley hates technology in cars :P

True, the '90s did re-introduce fun into the car world and horsepower did increase, but what has happened with the two oil shocks in the '70s cannot compare to what is happening now. The OPEC induced oil shocks were entirely artificial. Pure politics. The latest wave of oil increases has nothing to do with OPEC. In fact, the Saudis were initially alarmed at the price increases because they didn't want to kill the golden goose (the U.S. economy.) The current 'crisis' is partially speculative but mostly to do with the emerging markets (the so-called BRIC countries.) This is about consumption, not production. China is going to require its own personal Saudi Arabia over the next decade or so just to keep up with its demand alone.

You only need to look at the increases in the prices of other commodities like nickel, copper, iron ore, etc. to see where things are headed.

Undoubtedly, there will be technological automotive marvels in the future to amaze us, but the days of the fire breathing V8 gasoline motor are severely limited. It's utterly silly to have a single individual driving a 5,600 lb SUV to 100 miles to work every day, regardless of what their 'rights' are.

It isn't a matter of doom and gloom. It is a matter of learning to utilize the resources we have. Believe me, it is makes more sense than going to war with China in 15 years over what is left.

F-100 will be a huge hit when it arrives. especially if it gets the ecoboost v6.

a mid size truck with car mpg.....ford will not be able to keep them in stock. especially since tundra still can't support a sack of potatoes on the tailgate. the f-100's tailgate could prob support a whole tundra.

I've known about the F-100 for a while, but the Bronco comes as a nice surprise. This seems like an extremely smart plan; I think more and more are going to shift to the F-100 as gas prices continue to rise. Yet, keeping it an "F-Series" name will allow Ford to expand the sales umbrella. And hearing that the Bronco will be a true 4x4 and not a lifestyle truck is icing on the cake.

will OJ be signing on to do the bronco ads?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0