Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Here's the new Buick

wildcat

I'm worried about the proportions after seeing this shot:

gmchinainvicta03wn3.jpg

Looks very stubby and strange. The wheels are like donuts. It also looks quite similar to this:

1120701coty13z2007hyundsr4.jpg

Actually I think it looks great from that angle, and it looks far, far better to the Elantra, which there is little resemblance. You can argue the character lines of the Elantra are similar to that f the current LaCrosse but this car is completely different. Even if they change nothing I still love the car.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, the dimensions quoted from the USAToday article are: 194.2 length, 114.5 wheelbase, 73.8 width.... the '08 Malibu is 191.8, 112.8, and 70.3 by comparison. Article claims a 2 liter turbo 4cyl with 250 hp w/ 6spd auto (I assume for the US it will be watered down to a 3.9 pushrod V6 w/ 4spd auto -- J/K).

Well I'm certainly not happy with a reduction in wheelbase and width relative to the (barely wide-enough) Malibu......???? (EDIT: got the dimensions backward between the two cars......LOL.....I was like "WTF?".......and I am GLAD that it's a bit wider.....)

I just wanna see the production version.......I think we'll see some watering down of the styling of the greenhouse and body sides between the A and C pillars (still looks too concept-car-ish to me)......the front and rear-end details, OTOH, seem to be quite ready for production.......

Edited by The O.C.

The problem with these tiny decklids is, although the trunk may be plenty commodious, a person can't get anything big in there because the opening is so small. Open the trunklid on a Cobalt coupe and check the tiny opening, yet look inside at the good size. Seems impractical.

The problem with these tiny decklids is, although the trunk may be plenty commodious, a person can't get anything big in there because the opening is so small. Open the trunklid on a Cobalt coupe and check the tiny opening, yet look inside at the good size. Seems impractical.

Yep, that's my biggest complaint with my new Malibu. My previous was a Maxx and while it wasn't the most attractive car, it was very practical. I really like a hatchback. While I was still shopping around and I opened the trunk on the Malibu I had to laugh at how big it was and how small the opening was. The new Malibu is a much better looking and far more refined car but I still miss the versatility of my Maxx.

hmm, yes those proportions are troubling, most alarming would be your description of the wheels. if they get any smaller for production we may have a problem on our hands. what cspec is referring to for those that don't see it, is this: short hood, extra long midsection, short deck. reminds me of the G6, a car that also has trouble with this look. obviously the lines are more attractive here, surfacing better than the g6, so that will immediately cause a different impression. but the wheels i'm afraid will have a tremendous effect on how well received this car is in production.

back before the g6 was publicly realized, a lot of the gm press surrounded greater design emphasis, blah blah blah, one of thier design tenets which they took every opportunity to mention was this whole "wheels pushed out to the corners" mantra. it was gm's attempt at becoming hip, they felt if they'd addressed one or two of the trends, they'd become more accepted by the buying public at large.

anyways, i don't feel this is a survivor of that effect, or that gm is still acting in this way, mostly, but this car definitely has that as a design feature, and the effect will have to be seen in person, in production form, to truly gauge it's success or lack of

Edited by turbo200

Yep, that's my biggest complaint with my new Malibu. My previous was a Maxx and while it wasn't the most attractive car, it was very practical. I really like a hatchback. While I was still shopping around and I opened the trunk on the Malibu I had to laugh at how big it was and how small the opening was. The new Malibu is a much better looking and far more refined car but I still miss the versatility of my Maxx.

For more trunk space, maybe GM should consider the radical idea of offering a wagon bodystyle on some of the midsizers...maybe Chevy and Saturn (since the Insignia will no doubt have a wagon for Europe).

I think it has nice styling and dosen't look out of shape at all. Everything is very fluid and striking. The Enclave concept wasn't watered down bad at all so I a must give Buick the benefit of the doubt and say it won't get watered down at all or hardly any.

I'm worried about the proportions after seeing this shot:

gmchinainvicta03wn3.jpg

Looks very stubby and strange. The wheels are like donuts. It also looks quite similar to this:

1120701coty13z2007hyundsr4.jpg

I could not disagree more. There is no similarities between the Elantra and the Invicta. This is the first Buick in ages I would consider. The guy I am currently seeing traded in his RX350 for a new Enclave last year. When I showed him the Invicta, he fell in love with it. I love this car. The stance is amazing. It's beautifully done. I just hope the production car has the same stance and understated elegance.

I actually don't mind the height and proportions of the Invicta anymore. Sure, it's tall, but it's in a redefined crossover sedan sort of way, similar to the idea of the Lincoln MKT.

There is a trend for taller vehicles as they give the perception of spaciousness. Cars like the Corolla and Taurus are relatively tall but have goofy styling as a result. Buick happened to make height look intentional, graceful, and stately. The Rolls Phantom certainly isn't some low slung coupe.

I love the 57-esque check mark style line running down the flanks. There are nice heritage cues in this design...love it. Wish it were rear wheel drive, but I have to say I am slacking on my firm stance on this topic (mostly as I am running out of choices at GM.)

Build it guys...it is stunning!

You guys are paying too much attention to the wrong details. The exterior doesn't matter (well, relatively speaking and in the context of the market its in). As long as its classy, stately and isn't garish, its fine.

The detail everyone has seemingly overlooked so far, is this:

x08cc_bu053.jpg

Thats pretty much production.

I think it's beautiful.

I liked the Lucerne and thought it the initial shift for Buick with tight tolerances, and relatively contemporary style but this is finally what Buick needs.

Next up- Rear Wheel Drive!

You guys are paying too much attention to the wrong details. The exterior doesn't matter (well, relatively speaking and in the context of the market its in). As long as its classy, stately and isn't garish, its fine.

x08cc_bu053.jpg

I love that interior, it's gorgeous.

It's been Hell here at the lake house, the dial up has been my enemy, but I just couldn't wait until I got home from the weekend to see this thing. I took my time (obviously, with DU, lol) and looked it over carefully before forming any opinions. My impression... jobs well done. As with any vehicle, there are angles that look more pleasing than others, but this vehicle is as close to the mark as you can get when you have their target market in mind. It is very Asian. I recall comments from this forum, even back before I actually registered as a member, saying that Buick could learn a thing or two from Lexus and Acura. Well, they have. If the new RL looked anything near as pleasing as this design, they would not be offending their loyal fans. Toyota, even Lexus, will have to aspire to be Buick again, because their vehicles are bland in comparison. When you look beyond that initial impression, it suddenly does become global in its design and appeal. As I said in another post, they have definitely done their homework. This car emulates the best of everyone's favorite luxury brand, its appeal will be massive. Thanks to GM for saving a great brand.

I guess the only sad part of this is that we have now officially done away with the Buick that was the embodiment of the "American Spirit." Though the headlights give the impression of those hawks that soared, wings spread with red, white and blue flair, Buick is no longer ours. To save our brand we must now give it up to global dissection and integration. Is it worth it? Well, time will tell, but I sure do like the results of this multi-national effort. I want to see Buick move on to reclaim their rightful place as a respected luxury motor car. I just hate that GM didn't have the desire to do it for those who placed it in that distinguished place holder from the beginning, instead of alienating them to the point of abandonment with years of old school product.

Ramblings & Rumblings:

It's obvious from looking at the mule that the front, lower fascia will be changing to something more real world. Though I initially thought the design favored a gaping jaw, I feel this is a design cue that is not seen on most production cars and sets it apart from the competition. It grew on me.

If the deck were longer, the hip on the sweep spear would look wildly disproportional. I think they balance each other well.

The HVAC vents on either side of the dash look like add ons, with no flow into either the dash or the door. I thought that kind of strange, for a vehicle with this much attention to flow.

The Enclave concept had wonderful ambient LED lighting that never made it to production. I hope they don't miss the boat on this one.

I'm still warming up to the hood lines. With the headlights, it hits me kind of Sebring. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Speaking of headlights, they are much better than the Left Lane drawing.

Love the rear end, but the US plates are going to be floating in the huge universal holder.

Interior is very promising, I want to see real world pics of that center stack instrument pod.

Looks like scroll wheels on the steering wheel controls, that should be interesting.

Edited by InvictaMan

I like the interior design...I figure the exterior also is pretty close to production design--add door handles and maybe tweak the wheels and lighting.

Everyone is forgetting the spy photo of the Invicta on the truck (in another thread on here?).....and the watered-down production greenhouse and door sides basically look like an AURA with an Invicta front end slapped on......

I don't think this concept is close to production....with the exception of the very front and rear ends.......the profile/greenhouse all looks way too concept-like compared to the mules we've seen in multiple shots....

Not trying to be the grinch that stole christmas....but I think this concept is promising way more than what we are gonna see in production.....

Everyone is forgetting the spy photo of the Invicta on the truck (in another thread on here?).....and the watered-down production greenhouse and door sides basically look like an AURA with an Invicta front end slapped on......

I don't think this concept is close to production....with the exception of the very front and rear ends.......the profile/greenhouse all looks way too concept-like compared to the mules we've seen in multiple shots....

Actually, other than the shape of the headlights and the missing doorhandles, the show car concept looks much the same as the spy photo of the Invicta on the truck..I don't see much difference. The roofline may be a bit lower/sleeker on the concept, though.

x08cc_bu053.jpg

Is it real wood? LOL

Sorry, but I want my real wood--you just can't make plood that looks good enough! And no, don't mention Cadillac's plood, cause the Escalade's looks horribly cheap.

Is it real wood? LOL

Sorry, but I want my real wood--you just can't make plood that looks good enough! And no, don't mention Cadillac's plood, cause the Escalade's looks horribly cheap.

It's a concept, so it's definitely real wood in there. The question is whether real wood, real metal, and the leather dash will make it to production.

Buick should take the logos off, put it in high end shopping centers and interview folks as to what brand they think it is and their impressions. The interviews would make for great commercials and sell it in the same manner as sitting the Camry and Accord beside the Malibu, just a bit more deceptive in its comparison. If all else fails, sit a Lexus and Acura beside it in the showrooms. Only thing is you have to get them in the showrooms first.

Dodgefan, Moltar; both ideas/concepts have merit. I didn't investigate enough to find the anticipated curb weight. We'd want the Invicta to come off of the line with purpose. No deal if she'd be smoked by an Altima. Needs to be as swift as a V8 Charger.

Maybe, but what Chevy or Saturn starts with a 260 hp turbo 4 and a 6-speed automatic?

True..but again, I'm not sure if the 4cyl is the right image for Buick. A 260hp turbo 4 would be great for a Pontiac, though.

Dodgefan, Moltar; both ideas/concepts have merit. I didn't investigate enough to find the anticipated curb weight. We'd want the Invicta to come off of the line with purpose. No deal if she'd be smoked by an Altima. Needs to be as swift as a V8 Charger.

Turbo 2.8L V6 (perhaps with an emphasis on a flatter/fatter torque curve and not so much in HP) and DI 3.6 V6, both with 6-speed autos? Maybe add an AWD option across the board as well?

Edited by ZL-1

Buick should take the logos off, put it in high end shopping centers and interview folks as to what brand they think it is and their impressions. The interviews would make for great commercials and sell it in the same manner as sitting the Camry and Accord beside the Malibu, just a bit more deceptive in its comparison. If all else fails, sit a Lexus and Acura beside it in the showrooms. Only thing is you have to get them in the showrooms first.

Not after Hyundai just did that. I'd be embarrassed to have people on actual video tape saying, "This is so beautiful! It must be a Hyundai!" :rolleyes:

Not after Hyundai just did that. I'd be embarrassed to have people on actual video tape saying, "This is so beautiful! It must be a Hyundai!" :rolleyes:

Granted, the Genesis is a vast improvement, but I think you give Hyundai way too much credit, especially in comparison with this car.

Granted, the Genesis is a vast improvement, but I think you give Hyundai way too much credit, especially in comparison with this car.

It would be nice if Buick gets something for the US competitive w/ the Genesis....a V8 RWD luxury sedan to replace the Lucerne.

The LaCrosse should offer one engine, and one engine only: DI 3.6L. Same one from the Lambdas with ~290HP is plenty. Should be good for near 30MPG highway, as well. The 2.8 turbo sucks gas in the 9-3 and I don't see the 2.0 turbo doing that well in a big car considering what it gets in the small vehicles it is currently in. No Lexus ES or Acura TL buyer wants to replace their car with a car with a 4cyl. If Buick wants to add a 4-cyl model, they should go after the TSX and A4 with a new model on Delta II.