Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blake Noble

Chevelle

11 posts in this topic

Just trying to smooth out some of my rough edges before I begin work on a small portfolio this summer for a quite persistent college. :P

chevelled.jpg

As always, your constructive criticisms are crucial to my improvement!

My next sketches will focus on detail much more and I will also be doing more renderings and presentation-style stuff than I have in the past, so it will be especially beneficial to me. :)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Just trying to smooth out some of my rough edges before I begin work on a small portfolio this summer for a quite persistent college. :P

chevelled.jpg

As always, your constructive criticisms are crucial to my improvement! :)

I'll start by saying your perspective is the opposite of what it should be. Things are getting smaller as they get closer to us. It should be the other way around. And that rear wheel is far too small. The overall design is intriguing but you need to redo the perspective.

Hmm ... I think I should start to ween myself from my damned ellipse stencils. I know by using them, they highlight any perspective issue my work has.

I will work on this. Thanks, Dodgefan! :)

Thank God I am doing good on fixing this issue! I have something cooked up that I am going to render and put into presentation form for CC. It will take sometime for me to do it, though.

Yeah, what Dodgefan said.

I do like the idea of the design--I'm definitely seeing a Chevelle--but it's the perspective and size problems that make it hard to see to the intentions of the design.

One thing that helps me is, when you're finished with the rough sketch, compare everything in it to each other. Is the distance from the front wheel to the front of the door larger than the door itself? Is the distance from the back of the door to the rear wheel larger than the door itself?

Compare these stats to the class of car your design competes with. In a large sport coupe such as I'd assume a Chevelle is, compare it maybe to the 6-series, Holden's Coupe-60 concept, etc. The first one, that distance should be maybe equal width of your front wheel at the very longest. The second one, that distance should equal maybe half your door at most.

It helps me with the door-height-to-greenhouse-height ratio, the front and rear overhang, even the size of the mirrors. Checking fundamental stuff like that helps me correct my proportions.

As I've told you... perspective and proportion. Also, who needs ellipses and rulers? Those are just silly contraptions that mask your true ability. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Yeah, I never use anything like that. For me, it's just mechanical #2 0.7 pencil (always a Bic), a big white vinyl eraser, and computer paper. Of course, I don't know if I'd benefit from it or not, but so far I don't need it.

Edited by Zulehan

As I've told you... perspective and proportion. Also, who needs ellipses and rulers? Those are just silly contraptions that mask your true ability. :P

As I have learned. :yes:

The funny thing is that I had weened myself from one tool, a Saf-T Compass, to become "hooked" to another, the ellipse stencils. Ninety-five percent of the stuff I posted from my sketchbook were done without the use of an aide, and here I am falling back into old habits again. :P

Edited by YellowJacket894

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0