Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

I'm sick of green.

21 posts in this topic

Have any of you heard about New York City looking at banning the Lincoln Towncar for limo and taxi fleets because of poor gas mileage?

And get this, the Toyoto Camry Hybrid is being considered as a replacement.

I feel sick.

If it's true, then it's rubbish.

They've been using Escape Hybrids as taxis for a while. It makes a ton of sense, Taxis idle a lot, hybrids dont burn fuel at idle. Town Cars/Crown Vics are huge and use a ton of gas considering what they're used for, I see hybrids as being more economically viable for taxi service.

They've been using Escape Hybrids as taxis for a while. It makes a ton of sense, Taxis idle a lot, hybrids dont burn fuel at idle. Town Cars/Crown Vics are huge and use a ton of gas considering what they're used for, I see hybrids as being more economically viable for taxi service.

and the ...foot less ( or 2 ) of length..

and the ...foot less ( or 2 ) of length..

Yep, the Camry Hybrid and Grand Marquis are almost exactly the same in terms of rear seat head, shoulder and legroom. The only advantage the Panthers have in space is trunk room, which most taxi services will trade off for using less fuel. MSRP-MSRP, the Camry Hybrid is less than a Grand Marquis, almost half what a Town Car is. The Crown vic isn't available for civilian sales anymore, so there is no MSRP listed for them anywhere.

Well, the camry would feel right at home with all the NYC sienna taxis already in service...

Well, the camry would feel right at home with all the NYC sienna taxis already in service...

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... it just goes against every image I have of NYC.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... it just goes against every image I have of NYC.

me too.

This is another American symbol disappearing. It may seem insignificant to some....I don't think so.

The 'green' hysteria is going to change this and much more.

me too.

This is another American symbol disappearing. It may seem insignificant to some....I don't think so.

The 'green' hysteria is going to change this and much more.

Make Ford Escape Hybrid the new American symbol then. More than double the city gas mileage and partial zero emissions... I think it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, for limo/airport service, the Camry makes no sense, not nearly enough cargo room, the Escape Hybrid or, as noted, GMT-900 Hybrid SUVs would be better choices than the Town Car/Crown Vic.

Ummmm hello......what about all of the severe duty and repair of Taxis?? Are they really going to want to be repairing hybrid powertrians all the time? That could get very expensive. Oh, wait.....Toyotas don't break. :rolleyes: A Camry hybrid would get shredded driving over potholes 24/7.

Ummmm hello......what about all of the severe duty and repair of Taxis?? Are they really going to want to be repairing hybrid powertrians all the time? That could get very expensive. Oh, wait.....Toyotas don't break. :rolleyes: A Camry hybrid would get shredded driving over potholes 24/7.

that's the thing - the panthers run forever, and are (comparatively) cheap & easy to repair.

If Ford was smart......

<pause for that to sink in>

.... they would either put the 6-speed hybrid in the panthers or license Honda's flywheel motor assist technology for them....

If Ford was smart......

<pause for that to sink in>

.... they would either put the 6-speed hybrid in the panthers or license Honda's flywheel motor assist technology for them....

If Ford were smart, they should put those technologies in the upcoming Transit Connect... commercial vehicle toughness, larger interior, easier ingress/egress, better maneuverability, 21st century NYC looks.

Well, NYC is using Honda Oddeseys and Ford Escape Hybrids, so those must work well in that environment..

Well, NYC is using Honda Oddeseys and Ford Escape Hybrids, so those must work well in that environment..

FEHs are holding up very well as taxis, same with the Prius, too. Odysseys, on the other hand... I can't imagine the transmission holding up.

Have any of you heard about New York City looking at banning the Lincoln Towncar for limo and taxi fleets because of poor gas mileage?

And get this, the Toyoto Camry Hybrid is being considered as a replacement.

I feel sick.

That's your tax dollars at work!

Or better yet, Toyota's lobbying money at work. They have enough money to legislate Detroit into the ground and they'll try their best to do just that.

As for the lawmakers... Well, we all know how they react when someone flashes $$$.

Not for me.

NYC is a haven for anti-Detroit people, so it wouldn't surprise me if they replaced the towers with a big red T

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0