Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Pontiac Retaliator

22 posts in this topic

I tried my hand on a sports car taking into most of the tips I got. The pic came out crooked and proportially terrible, but this is an experiment for the shape I was going with, so, enjoy.

Draw_Pontiac_Retaliator0.jpg

Dude, your heart is in the right place but your designs are stuck in 1988.

That pinched, narrow nose, jelly-bean shaped profile with a slopping

fascia & narrow headlights/grille/twin ports is very dated. It's as if you

were showing us idea sketches that predated the 1989 Banshee concept

or perhaps the early design proposals for the 1995 Sunfire.

Not trying to be rude, just pointing out that today;s Pontiac is EDGY, raw

& yet clean & muscular. Your designs DO have a uncluttered look so you

are at least not falling into the "Pontiac needs to look like a Chevy with

$3000 worth of JC Whitney catalog crap stuck on it with 3M tape"

I know, but I honestly don't like the edgy styling of the Australian made G8, nor the chevy copy G5, not that I am crazy about the cars that are too round which was a trend a bit ago. I want to see some swoopy sports cars that were on the auto shows in the Pontiac display a few years back, sort of like their Ragous, Piranha, Protosport4 and stuffs that had curvy lines that looked kinda like futuristic. I loosely based this one on the current solstice up front, and mixed it with a slightly modified last gen Firebird's side profile. Didn't come out as futuristic that I was looking for, but I tried to make it clean as posible. If you didn't like it sorry. I just want Pontiac to go back with their sporty styling of late 80s to early 2000s, while sporting some futuristic styling that turns heads. Face it, G8, while I know it's a good car, but it's styling is hardly unique, and no-one will stop and stare at it like the concept, show cars in the auto shows, it offers nothing of sportiness of a sports car since to me, it's just too plain. I know, I know, it's a sports SEDAN, that replaces the Bonneville and Grand Prix, but I am sorry, I just don't like it.

I can tell you tried to incorporate some of the advice we've been giving you. Good deal. I like the headlights.

your getting better, but it looks like its based on a sunfire...

I know, but I honestly don't like the edgy styling of the Australian made G8, nor the chevy copy G5, not that I am crazy about the cars that are too round which was a trend a bit ago. I want to see some swoopy sports cars that were on the auto shows in the Pontiac display a few years back, sort of like their Ragous, Piranha, Protosport4 and stuffs that had curvy lines that looked kinda like futuristic. I loosely based this one on the current solstice up front, and mixed it with a slightly modified last gen Firebird's side profile. Didn't come out as futuristic that I was looking for, but I tried to make it clean as posible. If you didn't like it sorry. I just want Pontiac to go back with their sporty styling of late 80s to early 2000s, while sporting some futuristic styling that turns heads. Face it, G8, while I know it's a good car, but it's styling is hardly unique, and no-one will stop and stare at it like the concept, show cars in the auto shows, it offers nothing of sportiness of a sports car since to me, it's just too plain. I know, I know, it's a sports SEDAN, that replaces the Bonneville and Grand Prix, but I am sorry, I just don't like it.

What did they have during that time period that was sporty besides the Firebird? :huh:

The G8's styling is excellent, it's one of the few cars out there with no faults or awkward angles. You are stuck in the 90's :P

But anyway, the drawing is a definite improvement over youur other stuff and it is quite clean. Just work on your perspective a bi more. Headlights are pretty cool.

Dude, your heart is in the right place but your designs are stuck in 1988.

That pinched, narrow nose, jelly-bean shaped profile with a slopping

fascia & narrow headlights/grille/twin ports is very dated. It's as if you

were showing us idea sketches that predated the 1989 Banshee concept

or perhaps the early design proposals for the 1995 Sunfire.

Not trying to be rude, just pointing out that today;s Pontiac is EDGY, raw

& yet clean & muscular. Your designs DO have a uncluttered look so you

are at least not falling into the "Pontiac needs to look like a Chevy with

$3000 worth of JC Whitney catalog crap stuck on it with 3M tape"

You're right about all of this, but we've all told him the same thing already. He doesn't care. :duh:

Couple re-works, not much better but I tried to make it more futuristic/cleaner/smoother, didn't work I know, but enjoy.

Draw_Pontiac_Retaliator1.jpg

Draw_Pontiac_Retaliator2.jpg

Chocolate/Vanilla :P

Still I'm all about the NEW Pontiac. Not the "new" (G6/G5/Torrent) Pontiac...

the G8 & Solstice Pontiac... RWD, edgy, chissled styling & clean, crisp lines.

those are better. They're both a bit lumpy. I like the new headlights on the bottom one too.

If you're going to kick up the rear, don't curve the beltline before it like that. It just looks like a lump that shouldn't be there. Straighten it, or curve it the other way (but not a lot).

Couple new ones. I need help in making the front end aggressive. It just refuse to go to the direction I intent to. :banghead:

Also, the rear thing, about the kickup, I can't really work it out, it never works. I really need to practice more I think.

Draw_Pontiac_Retaliator3.jpg

Draw_Pontiac_Retaliator4.jpg

They are both highly derivative for I burrowed and used number of design cues that the auto makers are using, but, I hope you like these better. Just want to make them futuristic, and more aggressive, but it never works. :duh:

...hmmmm, see IMO your first design had more original style to it than the redo's...they look more common. OK the perspective was a bit off, but the design was really good. I would go back and do this over again from scratch, using the Original Ideas you had from the first one here as it is more fresh & sporty looking than the others.

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

No, you got rid of the first lump there, that's good.

^^^ OK ..Baker, ..Here is what I was seeing in your FIRST one that is just so fresh,...& it is lost in the other ones :

drawpontiacretaliator0ln9.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

i really like the side sculpting, but as in alot of DHGPF's work, the nose takes a SEVERE dive from the hood to the front bumper... thats my only beef with the design.... but keep up the good work!

Well as far as the G8 blending in and going unnoticed, most, actually

almost ALL of the articles that I have read about this car have said it

draws attention. It's very noticale and DOES stand out in a crowd of

goofy-FWD-overhang, jelly bean, androgynous crap-piles.

As a matter of fact I remember reading several counts of people

rubber becking at a G8 GT in recent months.

Thanx MDM, that's an awesome fix. It look worlds better than my crappy first one. Well, I tried it again, using the same pic, though proportion have gotton worse, not much changes have been done, I focused more on cleaning it up a bit. Came out even cruder, but....

Draw_Pontiac_Retaliator5.jpg

Oh, and what does Rubber Becking mean? Sorry, my English is a bit short,(shame I know, since I am an US citizen and been living in US for 20 years) so if it is a slang, I have no way of knowing.

Also, yeah, I may be the only one, but my philosophy of a sports car is the ones with very low front end and kicked up rear. To me, sedans never look like a sports car. So to me, all the sports sedans, like Lexus, Infiniti, and G8 included is not a sports car, rather a performance sedan. I know, I know, it's the same s***, but that's what I think.

Thanx.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

i like the most recent one a lot... tho i wish it was a bit longer and lower...

when 68 said "rubber becking" it was a typ-o, he meant to say "rubber necking" which if you dont know what it means is basically a term for trying to get a look at something as you are driving past, like an accident on the side of the road, you will often hear it cited as the cause for large amounts of traffic when there really shouldnt be that much

I know what you mean about the sports car, but does Pontiac not also need a sports sedan?

Anyway, your most recent one looks a lot better. I can see you took in MDM's suggestions.

Yeah that looks cooler now !....just another thought for you sketch wise....As Harv always says "start with a side view" as it gives you the dimensions easy,I know I prefer the 3/4 perspective better too,but once you get a design into your mind it is easier to draw it in any angle then, keep at it Bro !!! I Love your ideas !!!!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room