A Monte Carlo decision

Some, if not most, of you know I've wanted the following for a while:

* a bonafide "winter beater" in the form of a newer car OR (my preference) another '86-'88 MC LS that is in not-so-good shape OR a 1977-1979 Caprice Classic OR a 1989-1990 Caprice 9C1

* a 1987 MC SS Aerocoupe (or even just an SS, for that matter)

* my own home with a over-sized garage....

* a 1975 Caprice Classic convertible

Slowly, but surely, I've been saving money (kinda hard with more then average medical bills) and, as of now, I have the money for the winter beater (have had that money for over a year now), and almost enough for an SS I have my eye on.... But now, I have a decision to make ... about another 1979 Monte Carlo.

Story:

Back in 2001 (when Gram was still alive), I discovered that one of her best friends from high school, Ruby, had a '79 MC. Long story short ... Gram told me to tell Ruby about my collection and that I'd be interested in her '79 if she ever decided to sell it. I did.

When the time came for her to sell it about 4 years ago now, I didn't have the money ... and her grandson and great grandson "wanted" it anyway, to keep it in the family.... Ruby didn't want her great grandson to have it; she wanted ME to have it. Anyway, right before she died (about 3 years ago) I saw her, and she reiterated that she wished her grandson and great grandson had not wanted it because, as far as she knew, they weren't using it or driving it much...hmmm....

Fast forward to a couple months ago ... Doug, Ruby's grandson, calls me to say that his son, Ruby's great grandson, does not want the car anymore. A few days ago, they sent me pics. They want me to have it. I want it, and I have the money ... except that money was earmarked for a winter beater and the MCSS I have my eye on...etc.

*sighs*

What would you do? [And, yes, I know ... ultimately it is my decision, and my decision only....]

Factors...for better or worse:

...I do not want to see this car on eBay or CraigsList or AutoTrader, given its history.

...It's history is why I want it.

...I've always liked that brown color (yeah, I know...).

...I don't really want to give up the winter beater or the possibility of FINALLY obtaining an SS for my MC family....

*sighs*

Decisions decisions decisions.

Some pics for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/mc1979b/mc1979b.html

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I argue with my conscience" ... Charlie Pride ... 'Shouldn't It Be Easier Than This?'

Buy the brown '79. SS's come and go, and winter $h!boxes can be found around every corner; vehicles with a family history are far more rare than either. I've thought more than once about trying to track down my grandfather's '87 C1500 Sierra Classic.

Buy the '79 Monte, then hang out with 68 and XP for a weekend - you'll get your beater :D

Buy the brown '79. SS's come and go, and winter $h!boxes can be found around every corner; vehicles with a family history are far more rare than either. I've thought more than once about trying to track down my grandfather's '87 C1500 Sierra Classic.

agreed just like that monte ss i snapped a pic of at charlotte, ss with 23000 miles for $8500. some are holding their own but as a general view SS MC's are not commanding big money yet so you still got time. pic up the '79 before someone gives it the DUB package

Doooooooo it! :yes:

:scratchchin:

I don't know... two '79s ?

Would you be selling the other one?

I forget the history on the other '79, but I'd want to expand the collection with something you don't already have if it were me.

I thought about that too...but I think it would be still worth it anyways....

If need be, he could trade/sell an MC to get one he wanted....besides, those 79s will go up in value....

Do it and use the '79 in less good condition for a winter beater. Unless you would rather save the '79s and use the '87 for a winter beater. I think using the '87 for a winter beater is what I would do in your case. You know it will work in the winter weather where you dont know that so well with the '79.

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

I thought about that too...but I think it would be still worth it anyways....

If need be, he could trade/sell an MC to get one he wanted....besides, those 79s will go up in value....

Other than being "clean old cars" I doubt very much if the '79s will ever have much collector value. They are sort of the red-headed step children of the M/C family.

* Note * I don't bother to count the FWD pretenders as real M/Cs.

W-body LumiCarlos are no more Monte Carlos than the Beretta is a Camaro.

I don't know... two '79s ?

Would you be selling the other one?

I forget the history on the other '79, but I'd want to expand the collection with something you don't already have if it were me.

See....you've nailed _exactly_ why I am hesitating, slightly, anyway.

I don't really want something I already have. And, considering my current only '79 MC Landau is my FIRST car, it isn't going to be leaving the family. I know several people who WISH they had their first cars back ... and I'm not so sure I want to be one of them.

BUT ... the history with this brown one ... oh my ... I know Ruby had told me over and over again how much she wanted ME to have it ... so, it'd be like I'm letting her down, and in turn, Gram.

*pauses*

Yeah yeah yeah ... I know ... they are both dead and probably don't care ... but, aye.

I have some time to decide, thankfully.

*raises eyebrow*

And, Camino and Sixty8 ... AGREE ... with me about those hot dang Celebrity/Lumina/"monte carlo"s. Damn ... you two boys better not let that word get out ;). he he he he

*grins devilishly*

"Come along and share the good times while we can" ... Lynn Anderson ... 'Rose Garden'

See....you've nailed _exactly_ why I am hesitating, slightly, anyway.

I don't really want something I already have. And, considering my current only '79 MC Landau is my FIRST car, it isn't going to be leaving the family. I know several people who WISH they had their first cars back ... and I'm not so sure I want to be one of them.

BUT ... the history with this brown one ... oh my ... I know Ruby had told me over and over again how much she wanted ME to have it ... so, it'd be like I'm letting her down, and in turn, Gram.

Kind of like me if I would have sold Dads Caprice. I almost did but something told me not to. I am glad I listened to that little voice. I wouldnt sell it for the world now.

*pauses*

Yeah yeah yeah ... I know ... they are both dead and probably don't care ... but, aye.

I have some time to decide, thankfully.

*raises eyebrow*

And, Camino and Sixty8 ... AGREE ... with me about those hot dang Celebrity/Lumina/"monte carlo"s. Damn ... you two boys better not let that word get out ;). he he he he

Now now !!!!! They arent that bad. Are they?

*grins devilishly*

"Come along and share the good times while we can" ... Lynn Anderson ... 'Rose Garden'

2005 ... I'm glad you didn't sell your Dad's Caprice :).

And, no, they're not that bad ... they just aren't what they claim to be ;). he he

*grins*

Cort, if you want to go the beater route, there is a blue '80s model Monte here in my town for $1700. If you want more information, just ask me.

*raises eyebrow*

Details, bud, details. Please and thank you :).

2005 ... I'm glad you didn't sell your Dad's Caprice :).

And, no, they're not that bad ... they just aren't what they claim to be ;). he he

Oh well. I liked mine for the while I had it. Wish I could get a new one when the lease is up on the Equinox next March. I dont know of anything around here that would pick your interest. Though we are 200 miles apart from each other so it would have to run long enough to get from heree to Elgin. Couple people have said I should sell the Bonneville but I am not doing that yet either. And I tell them it is my decision.

*grins*

*raises eyebrow*

Details, bud, details. Please and thank you :).

ATTN Cort: I have the photos ready to be uploaded. If you want the information via PM, send me a PM as soon as you read this. Or if you would rather me post it in a thread so other members can give you their opinion of the car, just reply to this post. :)

Edited by YellowJacket894

I never would have thought that but ok. The salsa red on the Equinox shows the dirt pretty well but it cleans up nicely. I wouldnt get a white car here. First to show the rust and they blend in the snow in the winter so they are harder to see. Black is beautiful but show damn near everything. I alsmost bought a black Monte Carlo but most people convinced me that the silver one I did get was better. They were right. My Dad was the big proponent of that theory.

#1 Hardest Color to Keep Clean: Dark Blue. Worse than Black or White.

*raises eyebrow*

Seriously? I wouldn't have thought that.....

"There's so much in life" ... Night Ranger ... 'Sister Christian'

Hmm....my Jeep is dark blue and definitely shows dirt easily...in the winter with the slush and spray, it's light gray up to the door handles (and it even has gray lower door/rocker trim and bumpers). I still think black is worse, though.

Edited by moltar

Thanks, YJ for the info :).

No problem, Cort. I am happy to help. :)

And I will make sure to look for that Caprice for you as well. :AH-HA_wink:

My old S-10 was Indigo Blue Metallic. It was not bad to show dirt, but it was horrible to show scratches, nicks, and dings.

My old S-10 was Indigo Blue Metallic. It was not bad to show dirt, but it was horrible to show scratches, nicks, and dings.

Yes....scratches, nicks, dings, wax buildup... I gave up long ago (after it was paid off) on keeping my Jeep minty looking..

*grins*

Awesome ... thank ya ;).

And, gm4life ... I always thought that red/cranberry was easier to keep clean. Though ... maybe it shows the scratches more? Well, at least more than a white car. My black '76 MC Landau ... REALLY shows the scratches :(.

"Everybody wants love to be easy" ... Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ... 'Stand A Little Rain'

*grins*

Awesome ... thank ya ;).

And, gm4life ... I always thought that red/cranberry was easier to keep clean. Though ... maybe it shows the scratches more? Well, at least more than a white car. My black '76 MC Landau ... REALLY shows the scratches :(.

"Everybody wants love to be easy" ... Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ... 'Stand A Little Rain'

Just a point of wondering, what shape is the paint in on the 1976? Dont really know why I am asking. Just wondering I guess.

Hardest to keep clean is black or anything within a shade of black.

Dust, mud, soap-scum, pollen, salt, ANYTHING & EVERYTHING shows up.

Easiest color to keep clean? Gold/Tan/Champagne metallic followed by

silver & any other light metallic variant of sliver/graphite/pewter.

Working at 4 different Chevy/Cadillac/GMC/Pontiac dealerships over the

past 8 years has taught me that much for sure.

Just a point of wondering, what shape is the paint in on the 1976? Dont really know why I am asking. Just wondering I guess.

It's the original paint on that one. And, if you look closely, it is starting to crack ... which, of course, frustrates me to no end ... but, it still looks damn good from a distance ... lol.

"A concrete fascination scraping the edge of nothing" ... White Zombie ... 'Black Sunshine'

Dont fret Knightfan. The paint on the Bonneville is far from perfect. Its getting pretty dull bit it still looks reasonably good from a distance or in pictures. The paint on the Caprice is VERY good, alsmost like new other than a few little nicks that were there when Mom and Dad bought it in 1990. And Guess what!!!!!!! As of 5-2-08 the Caprice is MINE!!!!!!!!!. As in I own it!!!!!!. Mom and I did the deal today and got it switched to me. Our salesman at the dealership we go to handled it for us.

Thanks guys. I still have to get used to the idea of being able to just get in and go. I never touched it before unless Dad said I could. Nobody did. He was very protective of it. I washed it today and put the temperary plates until the regular ones come in the mail. Got the high speed blower relay replaced so I now have high now on the climate control. I will get the A/C fixed really soon. The radio is alright for now but it is slowly dying. I wonder though how an aftermarket one can be installed without destroying the dash since the climate control/radio are one piece? Someday. The Bonneville needs a headliner first.

• 1 month later...
The radio is alright for now but it is slowly dying. I wonder though how an aftermarket one can be installed without destroying the dash since the climate control/radio are one piece?

I've seen aftermarket radios in, but I don't know if they've had to destroy the dash or not...sorry.

BTW...update to this here:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=24290