Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Something I learned today ...

Good. You do not want to be addicted to caffeine (as well as nicotine) in the way that I am.

Been there, done that. :P

I used to be a huge Diet Pepsi drinker. Diet Pepsi in the morning, Diet Pepsi in the afternoon, Diet Pepsi at night. Pretty much the only thing I drank until I stopped drinking it suddenly and went on a water binge.

Been there, done that. :P

I used to be a huge Diet Pepsi drinker. Diet Pepsi in the morning, Diet Pepsi in the afternoon, Diet Pepsi at night. Pretty much the only thing I drank until I stopped drinking it suddenly and went on a water binge.

Diet Pepsi? Pffft. My days here recently, and on an infrequent basis before that, mostly begin with an ice cold, blue bottle of Bawls, which is the only drink to have the words/warning "high caffeine" plastered right on the front of it, in a tastefully small print. :P

energy.jpg

Edited by YellowJacket894

Good. You do not want to be addicted to caffeine (as well as nicotine) in the way that I am. :P:)

One drawback to being addicted to caffeine...the need to go the bathroom and that can be a challenge sometimes....last weekend in driving from Phoenix to Denver, I had a selection of bottled water, Starbucks mocha and double shot cold coffee, and Red Bull to keep me going... unfortunately, every hour or so I was looking for a bathroom (the ones in NM aren't that great).

This could be the start of another thread--favorite road trip foods and beverages. I love road trips. Esp. in the Southwest where everything is so far apart and the vistas quite often spectacular.

Edited by moltar

Diet Pepsi? Pffft. My days here recently, and on an infrequent basis before that, mostly begin with an ice cold, blue bottle of Bawls, which is the only drink to have the words/warning "high caffeine" plastered right on the front of it, in a tastefully small print. :P

energy.jpg

i've heard blue bawls are horrible :lol:

Give me some Surge, Vanilla Coke, Pitch Black Mt Dew, Game Fuel Mt Dew, or Revolution Mt Dew and I'll be set.

I know Surge is what would eventually become Vault with its origins in Europe, and I also know the rest of those, but I have never heard of Revolution Mountain Dew. :huh:

I know Surge is what would eventually become Vault with its origins in Europe, and I also know the rest of those, but I have never heard of Revolution Mountain Dew. :huh:

Yeah, I'm only familiar with regular Mountain Dew and the Red Alert Mountain Dew. Tried a diet Dew once, not bad. I used to drink Mountain Dew all the time, but I've pretty much given up sodas.

Not so. And, actually, Red Bawls are good, too. :AH-HA_wink:

cherry.jpg

Dodgefan is right, though. After my mornings have passed, nothing is better than warding away my impending energy crash with a nice, cold bottle of Coca Cola. 8)

nah, i was kidding about that, when i worked at office depot a guy went out west and brought us back a case of the things. one of my coworkers walked in picked up a bottle read the label and grabbed his crotch and said "man i hate blue bawls"

This quote needs to live on forever, hence it is going in the signature.

Galco's Soda Pop Store

This local (for us So Cal-ers, but they do ship) store carries all kinds of old sodas, and current sodas but made using sugar instead of high-fructose-corn-syrup (apparently the original Dr. Pepper tastes much better then what we get now). Saw a PBS special on them, and figured I'd spread the word.

Galco's Soda Pop Store

This local (for us So Cal-ers, but they do ship) store carries all kinds of old sodas, and current sodas but made using sugar instead of high-fructose-corn-syrup (apparently the original Dr. Pepper tastes much better then what we get now). Saw a PBS special on them, and figured I'd spread the word.

Cool...I see they have Bit O' Honey, Mallo Cup, Zagnut, and Zero candy bars...those are some things I miss about small town Ohio (though I have found Zero bars at gas station convenience stores).

Mexican Cokes, the glass bottled ones that use sugar cane, not HFCS, rule.

I could only imagine how great Coke would taste made with sugar cane. I would say having sugar cane in place of the HFCS is exactly reason why I like Mexican-made Pepsi so well.

Not to mention that it is more than likely better for you as well.

Why do we, the U.S., have to get the shaft regarding soft-drinks? And from our own U.S.-based companies as well ... :nono:

I could only imagine how great Coke would taste made with sugar cane. I would say having sugar cane in place of the HFCS is exactly reason why I like Mexican-made Pepsi so well.

Not to mention that it is more than likely better for you as well.

Why do we, the U.S., have to get the shaft regarding soft-drinks? And from our own U.S.-based companies as well ... :nono:

Because the general public are collectively stupid and have such ignorance that they know not what is best for them. Why else do so many people buy prepackaged Hostess and Little Debbie pastries? They're too stupid to know that they should actually care about what they put into themselves. HFCS is really bad, and more and more studies link it to obesity in general. Sugar is much less unhealthy compared to HFCS. But hey, this is the society where many people still think sushi is "weird" and that Taco Bell is Mexican. :banghead:

Because the general public are collectively stupid and have such ignorance that they know not what is best for them. Why else do so many people buy prepackaged Hostess and Little Debbie pastries? They're too stupid to know that they should actually care about what they put into themselves. HFCS is really bad, and more and more studies link it to obesity in general. Sugar is much less unhealthy compared to HFCS. But hey, this is the society where many people still think sushi is "weird" and that Taco Bell is Mexican. :banghead:

Agreed. :yes:

well if we gonna talk old school drinks there was a limited run from RC called Royal Crown Draft, they made the stuff with pure cane sugar and it only came in 12 oz brown glass bottles. great stuff but it was gone in a year, i think it was cause sales tanked on them. was like drinking syrup though hehe

http://www.gloryfood.com.sg/Photo/royalcrowndraft2.jpg

Yup, H2O owns all!

That having been said if I'm in the mood for coke I make sure it's in a GLASS bottle.

But Moxie, which predates Coca Cola by two years is the REAL $h!. (since 1884)

Point me in the direction of a can of this "Moxie" and I will try some. Or, like everything else interesting or good, do they not sell it in KY?

I believe that it is a regional drink, found in only New England. I could be wrong though...

Moxie is the $h!.

Originally formulated in 1884, TWO years before CocaCola, it was meant to be a cough syrup.

"elixir" :P

Anyway ask Dodgefan how many Moxies our budy Tall-Paul & myself drank on our roadtrip to

Tulsa OK last summer. Here's a hint: it was a LOT more than you can count on both hands. :P

Moxie is the $h!.

Originally formulated in 1884, TWO years before CocaCola, it was meant to be a cough syrup.

"elixir" :P

Anyway ask Dodgefan how many Moxies our budy Tall-Paul & myself drank on our roadtrip to

Tulsa OK last summer. Here's a hint: it was a LOT more than you can count on both hands. :P

Good times that was. :P

HFCS isn't that bad for you; it's basically man-made honey. Most manufacturers use it because it's cheaper than sugar and has a longer shelf life. Pure sugar isn't that great for you either since it's been linked to tooth decay, cavities, obesity and insulin resistance. It's all about moderation. It doesn't matter if the four boxes of twinkies I eat a week are made with HFCS or sugar, if I don't cut back/exercise, I'll get fat. Consuming either one in moderation isn't going to hurt you.

:yes:

HEY DF:

Tomorrow morning at about 9:30 or 10:00am XP and I are going to the

Junkyard that we do not speak of to size up the rat-rod potential of the

'61 Cadillac that has stolen my heart. What say you? You in?

We have not had a Tight Whip$ mini-roadtrip in many a moon.

HFCS isn't that bad for you; it's basically man-made honey. Most manufacturers use it because it's cheaper than sugar and has a longer shelf life. Pure sugar isn't that great for you either since it's been linked to tooth decay, cavities, obesity and insulin resistance. It's all about moderation. It doesn't matter if the four boxes of twinkies I eat a week are made with HFCS or sugar, if I don't cut back/exercise, I'll get fat. Consuming either one in moderation isn't going to hurt you.

False. HFCS has been linked to low metabolism and obesity recently. HFCS is not "man-made honey." It is man-made, but it involves quite a bit of chemistry to obtain. It is not natural, and like most synthetic food additives, they are finally starting to realize that there are unintended health issues associated with it.

Now you want to talk about sugar. Tooth decay? Please. Brush your teeth and you won't have that problem. I'm not even talking about the refined white sugar. That stuff is bad, just like anything with "refined, white" in its title. Natural sugar (think: Sugar in the Raw) is a lot less unhealthy for you than HFCS or even refined white sugar. Of course, it doesn't dissolve as easily as the refined sugars do, so manufacturers don't like using it as much.

But don't think for a second that HFCS is just some innocuous "man-made honey" because it is not. That's like saying partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (trans fats) is "man-made lard." Our bodies were not made to process these synthetic chemicals, and as a result they have unintended health consequences that are worse than the natural alternative in almost every case.

Yeah, true dat.

Sugar in the raw > fake bleached $h!