Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

It's Official... I... Am A Dumbass

For the second time in one week, I've locked my keys in the Cutlass. The third time, overall. And, of course, I was too stubborn to get an extra set made after the first and second times. I'm likely to repeat this and add another tally for the week. The good new is... I've become a master at breaking into it. Once I have the right tool (read: a metal hanger), it doesn't take much. Since I'm probably going to be too stubborn to actually go out and get an extra key made, I ought to just stick a hanger to my frame. I should be golden.

*shakes head*

I miss power locks. :P

I locked the keys in my '81 Grand Prix about 4 times at my high school parking lot before I wised up and put a spare door key in my wallet. Then I never needed it.

That's what I have in my wallet right now, a door key for the Century. Ever since I made it, I've never needed it LOL

I locked the keys in my '81 Grand Prix about 4 times at my high school parking lot before I wised up and put a spare door key in my wallet. Then I never needed it.

I know exactly how that goes. I now have the spare key to my Sonoma, on my key ring with my other keys. I have never needed it since I had it cut at Ace Hardware back in December. :P

I locked my keys inside of the Focus while it was running one night. So maybe now you feel a little better :)

I turned the car on to warm it up and took the remote off, then locked the door. Little did I know that the remote doesn't work if the car is on. So I spent the next hour in the freezing cold making a break-in tool and wedge and breaking in to my Focus (Not an easy car to break into, or so it seems.) while all of my co-workers laughed at me.

The car was nice and warm when I finally did get it open, LOL.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I locked my keys inside of the Focus while it was running one night. So maybe now you feel a little better

I turned the car on to warm it up and took the remote off, then locked the door. Little did I know that the remote doesn't work if the car is on. So I spent the next hour in the freezing cold making a break-in tool and wedge and breaking in to my Focus (Not an easy car to break into, or so it seems.) while all of my co-workers laughed at me.

The car was nice and warm when I finally did get it open, LOL.

I did that with my Grand Am. It's not a lie, I am a total dumbass. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Working as a car jockey in a major hotel when I was (much) younger was the best training I ever had: I feel absolutely naked when I get out of a car if I don't feel keys in my hand. The last time I locked keys in a car, it was my '82 Rampage and I was in the middle of nowhere, literally - I was canoeing and we were on an abandoned gold mine road about 15 miles from the nearest house.

When you work around cars you have an ingrained habit of keeping track of keys.

Now, losing my keys in the back seat of a taxi because I was too drunk to sit up - well, that's another matter entirely.

I seem to have to do that every once in a while...dosn't happen often though.

-Left keys indside s-10 while warming up during finals week..lucky for me I was still home....

-key fell out of my pocket while in the wagon...they were sitting on the front seat after I locked it...

It happens, man. Some more than others....

I did it the FIRST DAY I drove my Mustang to high school. Had to call my dad who came to school with the spare set of keys. The embarassment of that situation (my friends all standing around laughing) kept me from doing it ever again (over 20 years now without doing it). I think what has kept me from doing it is the both the warning chime (when you open the door w/ the keys in) and that I now always use the remote to lock...

One time I had to go somewhere for family emergency. I was trying to leave the dorms but I couldnt find my keys for the life of me. One of my roomates saw the distress I was in and let me borrow his car since he's a good guy. He went on to locate my keys while I was out in the trash. No idea how they got there but needless to say I bought him a case of his favorite when I got back.

I did it 3 times, twice within the same week, in our '93 Fleetwood. That was my "school car" and when my brother and I would get there, we'd sit inside and listen to the radio since we were early--so, I always had the keys in the ignition, but with retained accessory power, would just turn the car off and pull the key out slightly.

The problem? With the key out slightly, the warning chime doesn't go off when you open the door, and being that the original owner never ordered remote keyless (yes...it was actually an option on this flagship Cadillac for the first 2 years), I'd pop the door, hit the lock button, and start walking. Once I had everything out of the car except for the keys, and the other time my bookbag and a project on the passenger's seat were locked in... :banghead:

Oh how I dreaded those calls home for "Uh, I locked the keys in the car. Can you leave work quickly and drive the 20 minutes up here with another set?"

If I had just taken the keys and put them in my pocket immediately...but never did, and still continued on this same path for the rest of the year, but after the 3rd time, I "remembered" :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

well my nova like a lot of old GM's has a bad key cylinder... once the key is turned, you can remove it.. so whenever i sit in the car listening to radio or even when the cars running ,the keys remain safely in my pocket :P

Yeah, and that would have solved my dumbness if I had done that... :rolleyes:

Maybe instead of a key you need a brick?

Chris

No, hah, an extra set of keys maybe...but I'd have locked those inside too, given my setup.

Just actually pulling them out and putting them in my pocket IMMEDIATELY would have negated the same issue each time, for me.

You know what helps a lot - the keyless entry. I almost always lock the doors with the remote as opposed to the buttons on the door panel. If you have the remote in your hand to lock the door, that means you won't be leaving it in the car.

For my previous cars, I kept a spare door key in the wallet.

Step one:

buy new/used car.

Step two:

make three extra copies of the keys.

One for a spare (file cabinet)

one for the wife

and one set that gets duct tapped/twisty tied in a semi-accessible

but secret location for exactly this kind of situation. Behind rear

bumper, by the hood release, or, in pre-1971s where the hood is

able to be opened when the car is locked: under the hood

somewhere like under/by/next to the windshield washer fluid or

coolant reservoir....

I've locked many a key in my cars before...beginning with my '78 98...I locked them in the trunk. So without having a remote trunk release or fold down rear seat...what is a 17 year old to do....why take a screwdriver and hammer to the trunk lock cylinder :lol: needless to say, I got the key out, and my trunk key became a flathead screw driver from then on. :P

Since then I've locked my keys in the ignition on other cars, but GM used this cheap foam type weather stripping on older cars and like you describe with the Cutlass, I was able to unlock my doors within 30 seconds with a clothes hanger....just make a little loop and slide it between the door and the body, put it over the lock and pull up....kinda scary how easy it is to break into...and just goes to show how dumb the thieves were that stole Capriceman's car...breaking glass and whatnot :nono:

The Saturn dealership where we purchased our Aura from sells a similar design to that, with a metal blank inside of a vinyl case, as a valet key. It does not cost very much.

That's what my Millenia had, a little metal key inside of a thin plastic holder... Not that I ever needed it, thanks to the keyless entry remote that I always used to lock the doors. I miss that set up. :P

That's what my Millenia had, a little metal key inside of a thin plastic holder... Not that I ever needed it, thanks to the keyless entry remote that I always used to lock the doors. I miss that set up. :P

I haven't had keyless entry on any vehicle I have owned thus far ... but I want it. :D