BREAKING! Chevrolet Now Makes the Most Fuel-Efficient Compact and Midsize Cars (autosavant.net)

BREAKING! Chevrolet Now Makes the Most Fuel-Efficient Compact and Midsize Cars

By Igor Holas | 04.22.2008 | www.autosavant.net

General Motors has finally released official fuel economy ratings for the new Cobalt XFE and for the 2009 Malibu I-4 LTZ . As we reported previously, the General made some mid-year changes to the Cobalt with 2.2 liter engine and manual transmission and significantly upgraded its mileage to an outstanding 25/36 miles per gallon. To commemorate this change, the applicable Cobalts will sport a new XFE badge, which stands for [E]Xtra Fuel Efficient.

For the Malibu, GM replaced the four-speed automatic currently paired with the 2.4l four-cylinder engine with a six-speed unit in the top-level LTZ trim. The new power train combination delivers 22 miles per gallon in the city and 32 on the highway.

While (of course) neither of these numbers beats the hybrids, these are class-leading for both the Malibu and the Cobalt. After a long time of “hanging out” mid-pack with their mileage, Chevrolet finally woke up and delivered class-leading fuel efficiency both core car segments in the market. In light of the just-announced extreme CAFE regulation hike, and the breach of $3.50 per gallon of gasoline barrier, these changes are perfectly timed for the consumer demands.

MUCH MORE HERE

Igor

It's convenient to only mention the specs where a car exceeds. The article fails to mention the automatic version of the Cobalt and how it is anything but class leading. It also fails to mention that the Malibu isn't offered with a manual. I wonder how the mileage would compare among manual transmission competition.

On the Malibu, it looks like those final gear ratios were good for another 2 mpg on the highway. Not bad, the 6-speed will definitely be a selling point.

The mentioning of whether or not it has a manual or not is irrelevant. It is strictly talking about fuel mileage. I guess Honda can't advertise, "Most fuel efficient maker in America". :D Now lets have Chevy advertise some of that, huh? :D

My point is that they isolate the two instances where that is true, the manual transmission Cobalt and automatic Malibu. It is nothing against GM at all, just this author isn't reporting all pertinent information.

That's great news. The Malibu now gets better gas mileage than a Cobalt automatic.

The '09 Sonata also gets 22/32 MPG, btw. And he Civic automatic gets 25/36, tied with the Cobalt XFE (manual).

so why haven't they got to the XX.X mileage ratings yet?! gah! 2 sig figs are so 90's let's get to 3 to give the consumer more info! /sarcasm...mostly. hehe

yes, XFE sounds lame, nonetheless, this is a two-pronged attack. the thing GM needs to go is make an affordable "looks" package for this cobalt, offer it as an appearance package on XFE, then include it in commercials with malibu and market them as the alternative fuel efficient class of cars from chevy. or they could just use a modded cobalt in commercials and get around mentioning you can't buy that particular appearance package as factory equipment. either way, this is good news that could use some attention, and marketing a good looking attention getting cobalt next to a nice malibu, would be the way to do it.

It's convenient to only mention the specs where a car exceeds. The article fails to mention the automatic version of the Cobalt and how it is anything but class leading. It also fails to mention that the Malibu isn't offered with a manual. I wonder how the mileage would compare among manual transmission competition.

On the Malibu, it looks like those final gear ratios were good for another 2 mpg on the highway. Not bad, the 6-speed will definitely be a selling point.

I wrote about that in the piece linked to this piece - the one announcing in more detail the XFE cobalt - it was also a thread here "Suddenly Cobalt Beats its Competition"

Igor

My point is that they isolate the two instances where that is true, the manual transmission Cobalt and automatic Malibu. It is nothing against GM at all, just this author isn't reporting all pertinent information.

Thus is marketing...

And lets face it; the media is pretty much a marketing outlet these days.

(Nothing against AutoSavant)

yes, XFE sounds lame, nonetheless, this is a two-pronged attack. the thing GM needs to go is make an affordable "looks" package for this cobalt, offer it as an appearance package on XFE, then include it in commercials with malibu and market them as the alternative fuel efficient class of cars from chevy. or they could just use a modded cobalt in commercials and get around mentioning you can't buy that particular appearance package as factory equipment. either way, this is good news that could use some attention, and marketing a good looking attention getting cobalt next to a nice malibu, would be the way to do it.

I agree.

The "Sport" trim is now an appearance package. Why not slap it on the XFE?

MUCH MORE HERE

Igor

So this proves... that the government was right?!? All GM needed was a threat of higher CAFE and they just started making higher MPG cars without trade offs? So this is going to encourage president dumb-ass to yell louder at the automakers to get even better CAFE gains? We'll be up to 45 MPG by the end of the year!

Methinks GM should have made this move before the CAFE brew-ha-ha.

From what I've seen, all the new Cobalts are now coming with the VVT 2.2L.

Okay, now I'm really confused. I thought they were all coming with the VVT 2.2 in 2009? In the story, it says "the General made some mid-year changes to the Cobalt with 2.2 liter engine and manual transmission". I took that as a 2008 model getting the changes. The XFE is listed on Chevrolet.com, but it doesn't give a year model. Did they put the VVT 2.2 in limited Cobalts for 2008?

Okay, now I'm really confused. I thought they were all coming with the VVT 2.2 in 2009? In the story, it says "the General made some mid-year changes to the Cobalt with 2.2 liter engine and manual transmission". I took that as a 2008 model getting the changes. The XFE is listed on Chevrolet.com, but it doesn't give a year model. Did they put the VVT 2.2 in limited Cobalts for 2008?

It looks like the 2.2VVT got pulled forward.

All GM needed was a threat of higher CAFE and they just started making higher MPG cars without trade offs?

There are always trade-offs. Whether they are evident to the driver or not is yet to be seen.

And remember, this is only on the manual transmission model, which will not by any means make up the majority of sales.

Yeah indeed I like the LT2 with the silver/ebony interior trim much more than the two tone ugly wood. I said I would never get a 4 cylinder but an LT2 with a 6spd. automatic paired to the 2.4L would have pretty good kick right? I think that is what I would get if I needed another FWD midsizer, I would consider a G6 GXP but I like the Malibu better.

Edited by gm4life

Yeah indeed I like the LT2 with the silver/ebony interior trim much more than the two tone ugly wood. I said I would never get a 4 cylinder but an LT2 with a 6spd. automatic paired to the 2.4L would have pretty good kick right? I think that is what I would get if I needed another FWD midsizer, I would consider a G6 GXP but I like the Malibu better.

I'd say it would be a GREAT bet.

With all the good press GM is getting for the (lack of) NVH in the Malibu L4, I'd think having the 6-speed would only make it better. Better fuel economy, most likely improved performance, etc.

Like someone else said.....makes the Malibu Hybrid kindof pointless......

The changes involve gearing, and other small things- the 2.2L is not VVT yet. Wish I could wait until 2009 for it, but I cant (:()

The hideous two-tone interiors on the LTZ absolutely kill that car for me.

Would much rather have the LT2 with ebony interior and the silver-plastic dash trim (in place of the woodgrain.)

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this. LT2 V6 with the Ebony/Silver Trim is my favourite as well. Wish the V6 LT2 had better wheels though.

It looks like the 2.2VVT got pulled forward.

I'm not reading that here...... 8) Not unless it is listed under "other technologies".

New Chevy Cobalt XFE Delivers 'Xtra' Fuel Economy - Segment Best 36 MPG On The Highway

DETROIT - Consumers looking to squeeze the most mileage from every gallon of gas will find much to appreciate with the new Chevy Cobalt XFE. It delivers a segment-best 36 mpg in highway driving, outdistancing competitors like the Honda Civic, Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla.

The Cobalt XFE - for Xtra Fuel Economy - is on sale now and includes LS and 1LT coupe and sedan models with the manual transmission. It uses revised engine calibration, low rolling-resistance tires, a new, 3.74:1 final drive ratio and other technologies to achieve an EPA-estimated mileage rating of 25 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway. That's an improvement of more than 9 percent over the previous highway mileage.

"Cobalt has always been an efficient performer, but the changes with the new XFE elevate it to a leadership position that will appeal to customers who put fuel economy at the top of their new-car priority list," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "Better still, the efficiency enhancements don't come at the price of the safety and convenience features that serve as the foundation of Cobalt's value story."

The new, higher-efficiency Cobalts are identified at a glance with "XFE" badges on the trunk lid. Customers can also verify the model they're shopping is the higher-mileage model by checking for the "36 mpg" designation on the window sticker.

Like all U.S.-market Cobalt models, XFE editions come standard with:

Head curtain side-impact air bags

Air conditioning

XM Satellite Radio

AM/FM radio with CD and MP3 playback

Rear defogger

Center console with two power outlets

The Cobalt XFE engine is powered by a 2.2L Ecotec engine that delivers excellent performance in conjunction with the class-leading fuel economy. The Ecotec engine also features numerous long-life maintenance items that help reduce ownership costs.

"Any way you look at it, the Cobalt XFE is a smart choice for those looking to maximize their car-buying dollar," said Peper. "It's well equipped, efficient and plenty of fun to drive."

LINK: New Chevy Cobalt XFE Delivers 'Xtra' Fuel Economy - Segment Best 36 MPG On The Highway

Why not?

While K&N filters do work pretty good in trucks (I had one in my s-10), most of the time they really don't do stuff for smaller cars like the Cobalt....it doesn't offer better mpgs.(unless you do some serious highway) than a paper filter....

Money would be better spent on a free flowing exhaust....

There are always trade-offs. Whether they are evident to the driver or not is yet to be seen.

And remember, this is only on the manual transmission model, which will not by any means make up the majority of sales.

yup - more technology (vvt) = more cost to purchase and repair. This is a case where the technology will probably pay for itself, though.

yup - more technology (vvt) = more cost to purchase and repair. This is a case where the technology will probably pay for itself, though.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the taller gearing and lower resistance tires (less traction possibly), among other changes they made. These are things that might have a trade-off of delivering a poorer drive. It is only speculation at this point however.

It delivers a segment-best 36 mpg in highway driving, outdistancing competitors like the Honda Civic, Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla.

False advertising? 36 mpg ties the current segment leader, but it only does so with a manual transmission. The automatic is lacking considerably compared to the segment leader. Shame on GM. I expect this kind of spin from Toyota, not GM.

While K&N filters do work pretty good in trucks (I had one in my s-10), most of the time they really don't do stuff for smaller cars like the Cobalt....it doesn't offer better mpgs.(unless you do some serious highway) than a paper filter....

Money would be better spent on a free flowing exhaust....

Oh, too good to be true I guess

• 3 weeks later...
I'd say it would be a GREAT bet.

With all the good press GM is getting for the (lack of) NVH in the Malibu L4, I'd think having the 6-speed would only make it better. Better fuel economy, most likely improved performance, etc.

Like someone else said.....makes the Malibu Hybrid kindof pointless......

Why can't they put the 6-speed in the Hybrid, wouldn't that make it more efficent?

I agree.

The "Sport" trim is now an appearance package. Why not slap it on the XFE?

people who worry about 1 or 2 MPG are not going to pay extra for a "appearance package". also anything that adds weight hurts the mileage as i get a big kick out of some 250/300# car owner complaining about gas mileage. :D

Why can't they put the 6-speed in the Hybrid, wouldn't that make it more efficent?

I'm betting they're gonna wait for BAS Gen2 before they put 6speeds on the mild hybrids...if it ever happens