Good Bye Buick

As a Buick owner for 28 years and a current 2006 Buick Lucerne owner, it is with nostalgia that I say Good Bye to Buick. I am hopeful that Buick does not go the way of Oldsmobile. However, it is the forgotten stepchild of GM relegated to a small room in the attic.

Tomorrow I take a last and longing look at this old friend as I step into the new world of my 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I once swore never to darken the steps of the foreign auto market. But as the Buick I once knew slipped silently away into the attic room neglected I reluctantly yet with anticipation look forward to a new day in my hybrid.

Farewell Old Friend!

As a Buick owner for 28 years and a current 2006 Buick Lucerne owner, it is with nostalgia that I say Good Bye to Buick. I am hopeful that Buick does not go the way of Oldsmobile. However, it is the forgotten stepchild of GM relegated to a small room in the attic.

Tomorrow I take a last and longing look at this old friend as I step into the new world of my 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I once swore never to darken the steps of the foreign auto market. But as the Buick I once knew slipped silently away into the attic room neglected I reluctantly yet with anticipation look forward to a new day in my hybrid.

Farewell Old Friend!

I hope you know that there is a new Lacrosse in January.

Well... I have nothing to say but consider another car over a Toyota... A Camry no less... Altima? Accord? Malibu? Fusion? G6? Milan? I would miss that Lucerne too. Also if you had good luck with your Lucerne there is no way I would trade in on a Camry. Read some reviews at Yahoo Auto's and they aren't what they used to be. In addition to that why are you making this change? In addition to all of that GM is running loyality deals right now, you could get another nice midsize car over the Camry. I have ridden in them and am not impressed. I see why you say you will miss your Lucerne I would miss it alot too, if you go to a Camry from a wonderful smooth riding decent performing large vehicle like the Lucerne. Lucerne06 this one reason why Olds got the axe because of people jumping ship from vehicles they have had and owned for years and went to a Toyota. It is not my money but you be a fool to get rid of such a good car, and not consider another vehicle over the Camry Hybrid... My nephew has a new 2007 LE and it is a very cheap/tight feeling car to me. I can't wish you good luck knowing you going out to buy a car I wouldn't even consider in a million years.

Edited by gm4life

Make sure you write out an extra large check to the school districts around Hammtrack, the Department of Transportation of Michigan, and the IRS.

That's what you have to do when you trade down from a Buick to a Toyota....

apparently you haven't been paying attention because Buick has the Enclave and the new Lacross is on it's way... and the Lucerne is getting a whole host of upgrades for '09 including bluetooth and a new V6 engine.

Farewell Old Friend!

The turth is that you should keep the Lucerne until next year ,then trade the Lucerne for the new redesign Lacrosse.

I'm sure you have excellent reasons for switching from the Lucerne to the Camry Hybrid, but did you look at any of the Camry competitors in the GM stable? The new Malibu is a knockout, and the LTZ I4 gets relatively good gas mileage. Just my 2 cents. Hope you enjoy your new car, regardless of who made it.

edit: grammar

Edited by Farkas

That's the saddest freekin post I've read since GM decided to make the

new Camaro a lame 2 door sedan instead of a bitchin' hardtop Camaro

If this is for real and not some disgusting joke, than I'm speechless.

A Camry Hybrid? I'd rather drink a gallon of dexcool and drill a fu*king

hole in my head with a dull masonry bit. Do I find the current Buick

lineup to be lacking and bland? YES.

But that's no reason to sell your soul to The Toyopet & the Rising Sun.

Your view on Buick is seriously misinformed. You didn't even give an honestly legitimate reason for this decision other than your statement that said "Buick has become the red-headed stepchild at GM," which it really is not. What is wrong with the car specifically? Are there any serious mechanical issues? Serious quality issues? If your individual example of the Lucerne had a glaring, major fault I would understand all of this, I suppose.

Just because Buick does not offer 15 models does that mean they are "GM's red-headed stepchild" and it warrants your trading in of your Lucerne as a means of hopeless protest, which is what this all sounds like.

Well, in the end it is your decision and I will choose to respect that, although I do question it.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I hope you know that there is a new Lacrosse in January.

If he's cross-shopping Buicks with Camry, I have a feeling the Invicta will be too expensive for him. Trading the Lucerne in for a Malibu hybrid or Aura hybrid would have been more equivalent to save this sale. Toyota's Hybrid Camry is a more efficient alternative to the Malibu/Aura... but it is more expensive. The extra money spent in the monthly payment would more than pay for the extra price in gas with the Malibu/Aura hybrids.

Buick has a LaCrosse hybrid in China. I suspect we'll eventually get Buick Hybrids here as well, but they'll be much more expensive than the comparable Chevrolet/Toyota offerings.

Your view on Buick is seriously misinformed. You didn't even give an honestly legitimate reason for this decision other than your statement that said "Buick has become the red-headed stepchild at GM," which it really is not. What is wrong with the car specifically? Are there any serious mechanical issues? Serious quality issues? If your individual example of the Lucerne had a glaring, major fault I would understand all of this, I suppose.

Just because Buick does not offer 15 models does that mean they are "GM's red-headed stepchild" and it warrants your trading in of your Lucerne as a means of hopeless protest, which is what this all sounds like.

Well, in the end it is your decision and I will choose to respect that, although I do question it.

He has posted problems with his Lucerne in the past which his dealership failed to address. I believe his protest is more about his dealership experience than with the Lucerne itself. A different dealership would have probably resolved his issues early on and prevented him from ever considering a non-GM product.

I'll admit my Buick dealership experiences drive more of my negative association with Buick than anything else. Infiniti offered better customer service in 1996 than Buick does in 2008. Unfortunately for Lucerne06, Toyota's dealership experience rates way below average on many surveys... and far below Buick. He really should have bought a Lexus hybrid instead.

and besides.... Pontiac is the red headed stepchild at GM.

And he doesn't need a hybrid exactly. The Malibu 4-cylinder/6-speed combo has only 1 less mpg highway than the Camry Hybrid. I think I've seen him post before that he does mostly highway driving.... so in terms of long term costs, the Malibu is a far better financial decision than the Camry.

He has posted problems with his Lucerne in the past which his dealership failed to address. I believe his protest is more about his dealership experience than with the Lucerne itself. A different dealership would have probably resolved his issues early on and prevented him from ever considering a non-GM product.

Oh, then I can understand his decision a little better now. :yes:

What isn't a beef on the Camry? The thing is rated lower than any other Camry made to date (as far as I can remember). Why not check into a Malibu or wait it out for the new Buick coming out next year? Surely I have not seen one good reason to downgrade from a Buick to a Camry. Not one. Especially if you call yourself a Buick enthusiast. Either you don't know and understand the concept of an enthusiast or you're just another sheep following the herd...

If I had bad luck with a GM dealer I would find another one. If your on the road alot the Camry Hybrid still isn't a great option. You will miss your Buick for sure. Check into a new Malibu, or wait for the new LaX but I think if you do go through and get a Toyota it will be your first and last. I totally agree wtih Sixty Eight!

Edited by gm4life

I'm sad to hear it. I really am.

As an Oldsmobile enthusiast, I still remember my dad telling me about what they were doing to my brand when I was ten. My family's best cars were Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. I went from Olds to Buick. I've always been a fan of Cadillac, it's a symbol of what my Grandfather always wanted but only got once. I want to have more than one in my lifetime. I'm sad to see that you're turfing your Lucerne, which along with the DTS and Impala are great cars. I also respect your decision. It's your money and you can do what you want. I wouldn't have bought a Toyota, but good luck with it anyway. Hopefully come 3 Years from now you can move back home when better cars are built, and Buick workmen have made them.

That's what happens when people get old.

1. Get Dentures

2. Get Depends

3. Get a Camry

Very funny and a somewhat valid argument too. Buick's "average buyer's age" has dropped into the 50s while Toyota's average continues to rise. It is very possible Toyota may be carrying the "retirement car stigma" torch before long.

This post struck a nerve with me...leaving 20+ years at Buick because he feels that they have abandoned the brand back at HQ? Did he not see the Enclave is one of the hottest cars on the market right now? The new Invicta is stunning. Has he NOT seen the absolute turmoil that is Toyota? Then I read that another poster in the know of the '06's driving habits are mostly HIGHWAY...the absolute WORST place to drive a HYBRID with any semblance of mileage. Hybrids only give gains when driven in TOWN - they actually LOOSE mileage on the highway!

With all of this in mind, I am seriously hoping his Toyota experience sucks REALLY, REALLY BADLY. If it anything like my brother's experience with the dealers he has had to be at constantly with the two he has - it will seriously suck to be him.

You will deserve what you get with the new Toyota Crapry Golfcart. I wll tell you that I see a lot of them coming into our local Buick dealer on trades. The last one was an Avalon with 600 miles on it. The guy hated it THAT BAD and took a huge bath on the trade on a Lucerne. May this happen to you at a better Buick dealer then the one that made you make this absolutely ascinine decision in the first place.

It's not the choice I would make, especially with the product coming down the pipeline for Buick, but it's his money and we shouldn't wish horrible things on him. Perhaps when the LaCrosse replacement comes out he'll trade the Camry in for a Buick.

Edited by Dodgefan

Farewell Old Friend!

If the Camry appeals to your current needs, then you did well in trading in: I wish you the very best with your new car. However and given that long standing loyalty to Buick, why not keeping an eye out for whatever they do over the next few years?

Edited by ZL-1

Wasn't that one of the HUGE beefs with it in the beginning?

?????

Every Camry I've driven has been whisper quiet......and does have a "traditional" Buick floaty and cushy ride (SE is quite a bit better).....probably something he took into account when getting a car to replace his soft Lucerne.....

I actually think the Camry Hybrid makes alot more sense than the Prius Hybrid. It gets fuel economy (as-tested in C&D's road test) of 33mpg, and more importantly, goes from 0-60 in 7.7secs. So, it's fast, but you still get decent fuel-economy. For once, you are not penalized in performance or styling like you are in the Prius IMHO.

I'd probably be more inclined to get the Malibu L4/6-speed.......but you won't get as good of overall fuel economy (24mpg overall, 8.7sec 0-60 in the C&D comparo with the 4-speed.) Give it a boost in mpg by 2....and drop the 0-60 by 0.2 for having the 6-speed.....so say 26mpg and 8.5sec 0-60. And, the Malibu won't be as soft and cushy as the Camry.....if that's what he was looking for.

With all of this in mind, I am seriously hoping his Toyota experience sucks REALLY, REALLY BADLY.

That's just NOT cool to say.......I don't care who he is or what he bought.

People don't make huge purchase decisions like which car to drive lightly......

Some of the responses on here are the most immature I've seen on C&G in a LONG time......

Sooooooo...... why the silence all of a sudden?

Like Oldsmoboi said, buying the Camry Hybrid is a SERIOUS snafu if

the ultimate goal is to have a quiet, comfortable, reliable car with

low ownership costs and high MPG.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, good luck with THAT mess.

$6000 for a new set of batteries? All f&&&ing set, THanks!

I cannot support his choice... I can't wish him bad luck with it but wish I could. It is what you call dedication to GM and an American product something I have and wife does too. I feel bad for this guy going from one of the best fullsizers on the market to the Camry. I don't even wanna see photos of this vanila bland boat.

All I can say I that I can wish you the best, and I hope you'll again choose a GM brand after this one.

I just hopr that it wasn't the dealership that ruined it. It happened to me-though I refuse to not buy the car beacuse of that-I'll just buy it some place else.

The Lucys are a fun drive, look good in chrome (almost mob like :AH-HA_wink: ), and get pretty decent gas milage....

Children, children.

The battle to win back the consideration of the public at large is the single largest hurdle facing all of the Det 2.8. Great product HAS to be in the showroom, not the pipeline...I love the 'Invicta's going to be great, so buy a LaCrosse' theory, except that the only place that'll fly is on this site.

Wishing people bad luck because of car choice? Between the hopelessly out-of-touch and the absolute hate, it's no wonder it's difficult to have a healthy debate at C&G.

Children, children.

The battle to win back the consideration of the public at large is the single largest hurdle facing all of the Det 2.8. Great product HAS to be in the showroom, not the pipeline...I love the 'Invicta's going to be great, so buy a LaCrosse' theory, except that the only place that'll fly is on this site.

Wishing people bad luck because of car choice? Between the hopelessly out-of-touch and the absolute hate, it's no wonder it's difficult to have a healthy debate at C&G.

Eh, sometimes product in the pipeline does help....hopefully the Camaro gets here sooner... :)

That's what happens when people get old.

1. Get Dentures

2. Get Depends

3. Get a Camry

Not necessarily...many move up to a Camry (often from a Corolla) in their late 20s to early 40s... (all the Camry owners I know are in that age range).

I cannot support his choice... I can't wish him bad luck with it but wish I could. It is what you call dedication to GM and an American product something I have and wife does too. I feel bad for this guy going from one of the best fullsizers on the market to the Camry. I don't even wanna see photos of this vanila bland boat.

Dedication to GM means you buy GM, not that you shun anyone who does not. That's just being a douche. Frankly, this cult-like mentality among many people on this site is disturbing--guys, GM doesn't make the very best product for everyone's needs in every segment. So someone who switches does not need to be ridiculed or shunned--that's just immature and rude.

Children, children.

THANK YOU!!

Edited by Croc

Dedication to GM means you buy GM, not that you shun anyone who does not. That's just being a douche. Frankly, this cult-like mentality among many people on this site is disturbing--guys, GM doesn't make the very best product for everyone's needs in every segment. So someone who switches does not need to be ridiculed or shunned--that's just immature and rude.

THANK YOU!!

You're welcome.

Tough crowd.

THANK YOU!!

X2 Well Said.

?????

Every Camry I've driven has been whisper quiet......and does have a "traditional" Buick floaty and cushy ride (SE is quite a bit better).....probably something he took into account when getting a car to replace his soft Lucerne.....

Not ever Camry I've ever driven has been whisper quiet. The 4 makes a typical 4-banger whiny sound especially under full throttle. Combine that to a CVT and you have that droan going nonstop unless the engine shuts off. And if it's anything like the Prius, it rarely does. I'm not a fan of CVTs at all, and that's the only transmission available with the Camry Hybrid.

So, in my opinion, someone who made an enormous deal out of buying one of the quietest cars out there and hearing some noise/vibration, wants to go to a 4-cylinder with a CVT? Well, let's just say I won't be responding to any of his comments if he comes back and says he doesn't like it.

THANK YOU!!

Agreed.

Not exactly I do regret being called a douche. I have very strong convictions I see what people do trade in perfectly good cars in this case a very nice highway cruiser. I am hardly of a cult like mentality the Camry isn't the best car on the market, Accord or Malibu is in that class. Both of which were on import biased car and drivers ten best list that is good enough for me. Talk about a class leading interior, and the 'Bu offers a hybrid. Dedication is sticking to your convictions and supporting an American company. Listen here childern (I would bet I am old enough to be a father to some of you) I have watched many a good friend get a Toyota only to find out the grass on the other side isn't that much greener. My nephew did the same thing, although he has only had a few months with no problems yet. I call being a douche trading in a Buick after 28 years of ownership and cars that this person has been satisfied with for the most part. He wonders why Olds went under, well if people like him want Buick and GM in General to survive he should have got another car, or hey how about the comfy and roomy Ford Tarurs with the new 3.5L 6spd auto that would be a great road car. Listen I did drive a CR-V, Rav-4 before I got the Torrent just for a comparison I don't blindly buy GM products but have always like them more than the alternative and can get a good price on them. I have had excellent luck with my GM cars overall so I still find it hard to believe. Mark my words I never wished him bad luck I was just being honest. When you have been dedicated to a brand or company like I have it is hard to see loyal owners trade in on a enemy vehicle. GM makes a very nice product in the segment Malibu hybrid and there is a better looking Altima hybrid if the 'Bu was a problem. I find it odd people who say they like GM on here and throw there convictions out the window. Go ahead buy a freakin Toyota, then again I am silly country boy. I do hope he ends up with another Buick or GM car someday. So be careful with your name calling "douche" I do regret the use of this word and am slightly pissed off by it. Then again I am just "stupid and blindly" deticated to GM cars. Just like most other people on this site. This is a GM fan sight what do you expect if you want Toyo humping there must be other boards out there. Also I wasn't shuning him I just get emotionally and say what I think. Good Night.

Edited by gm4life

>>"...many move up to a Camry (often from a Corolla) in their late 20s to early 40s... (all the Camry owners I know are in that age range). "<<

Ha! Average toyota Buyer Age (last I saw) is 46 and slowly climbing. avalon is not moving enough units to swing that number... undoubtedly the camry is the car that is offseting things like the yaris, prius & corolla and dragging the ABA up to 46. That means the ABA for the camry has to be in the neighborhood of the late 50s (not that toyota would ever publish that figure).

Most every camry I bother to look at has someone at least obviously in their 40s, and often more like 60-70 behind the wheel.

Only person I know who owns a toyota (camry) is an aunt I haven't talked to in about 3 years. If she still owns hers, she's 57.

Edited by balthazar