losing weight

So recently I decided I needed to lose some weight. My genes make it very likely for me to have high blood pressure and high cholesteral, and as I recently hit 215 lbs this spring I noticed I had started to feel like crap. I went to the doctor for a physical and sure enough the high BP had hit and my cholesteral was on the border. At 5'9" I was a relatively healthy 175 about 3 years ago. My metabolism has obviously slowed since high school, I started drinking beer more often, and I just didn't have enough time in my life to make myself healthy meals.

I had a part time job that I was working at one or two afternoons a week that I let go a few months ago. With the little bit of extra time I had, I joined Weight Watchers. A guy that works for us had a lot of success with it and they have an all men's group that meets on Wednesday nights. 2 months later I am down to just under 200 again. I haven't done much more than just follow the program and start walking a few miles every couple of days.

I know there must be a few guys in here that wouldn't mind losing a few, and if you've never tried WW I just thought I'd let you know that it has worked for me.

The walking is key. I've dropped serious poundage just by adding a 45-minute, 3-mile walk around my neighborhood every evening as part of my daily routine. Not only does it give me time to decompress and relax, but it knocks off 300 calories.

Good for you trying to lose weight. I've heard countless stories about how WW has worked for people. I can recommend a diet that is working for me... I lost 14lbs in 1.5 weeks... I had my tonsils ripped out, and I've had no food since it happened. I shouldn't say that.. I've had maybe half a cup of broth total since the surgery. Some juice and mostly water have been my diet. :AH-HA_wink:

Seriously though, as Croc said, walking is key. It's a very healthy way to lose weight, tone up, improve your circulation, etc. And it's not hard on the joints.

Congrats Sharmer!

I spent most of my life like Supersport, never went past about 155 pounds in my life.

Now I'm just a tad out of shape - must be time to start "living hard" again. :AH-HA_wink:

Although I do wonder what will happen if I ever manage to quit smoking...

Congrats Sharmer!

I spent most of my life like Supersport, never went past about 155 pounds in my life.

Now I'm just a tad out of shape - must be time to start "living hard" again. :AH-HA_wink:

Although I do wonder what will happen if I ever manage to quit smoking...

LOL smoking keeps the hunger in check.

I lost about 40lbs over the course of two years starting in 2005. Depression knocked away half of it. For the other half, I stopped drinking Diet Pepsi, started taking multivitamins, tried to cut down on sugar, tried to work out somewhat, and went a on a bike riding binge with regular 20 mile rides. It worked.

I need to get back into taking bike rides. I've gained 5lbs over the winter in addition to losing some strength. I'm trying to ride to work whenever the weather is cooperating. Hopefully, I can get rid of the 5lbs and get into even better shape... Not to mention, same some money. :P

LOL smoking keeps the hunger in check.

Oh my God, you're telling me! While Catherine was taking care of me when I had the surgery, she was eating like an out-of-control horse. And I looked at her saying, "What's up?!" and she said, "Cause I haven't had a cigarette since I got here."

She actually had to have a smoke to calm her eating down. Once she had literally a cigarette for breakfast, one for lunch, and a sensible dinner, she was "normal" again... because she's not a heavy smoker.

Sounds like a reliable healthy plan! Weight loss is great in moderation, and thats what you're doing! No quick fixes!

I'm lousy with diets, so I know hitting the gym is the only option for me. Mother Nature has no use for us once we hit 35, and I am a little passed that. :lol:

The pain at the gym pays off in maintaining a 34" waist at my age (I am 6'2" and 47 years old). Contrary, to what the BF thinks, I do not go there for the eye candy. When I go during the day I am the youngest person by about 20 years - boy, that is scary. It's good inspiration, though: I don't want to look like them.

The walking is key. I've dropped serious poundage just by adding a 45-minute, 3-mile walk around my neighborhood every evening as part of my daily routine. Not only does it give me time to decompress and relax, but it knocks off 300 calories.

Agreed....

A few of my friends are trying to lose weight...so I am joining in on that....

Good luck... I'm trying to get serious about losing weight....I'm an even 6'0", weighed 185 when I was 30, 240 when I was 35, and am down to 225 now.. want to get back under 200 by 40 (a little over 2 years away). In my 30s, I've been less active (in my 20s I rode my mountain bike, snowboard, play racquetball, in my 30s I've spent way too much time in front of computers or hanging out in the pub drinking brewskis and doing shots).

it's amazing how much pop keeps your weight on they say. i drink lots of coffee and diet coke, but even though neither supposedly has calories, i doubt they are good for your metabolism.

Artificial sweeteners are getting some anecdotal connections to slow metabolism. Coffee, on the other hand, has virtually no calories and the caffeine boosts your metabolism sky high. There's a reason a lot of people smoke while drinking coffee...the one-two punch revs your metabolism into high gear while simultaneously suppressing your appetite. In effect, you get to lose weight without feeling hungry.

+1

I can't stand coffee, I do drink quite a bit of tea.

I don't like American coffee. I love tea though.

The Spanish teacher at work brings in a Spanish coffee and we brew it in her room. It is so smooth, rich, and it doesn't give me problems regular coffee does (the acids bother my stomach). At night, I tend to drink a cup of tea.

I'm trying to loose a few and get back in better shape. at the end of my sophmore year in college I was in the best shape of my life. I was a ripped, less than 7 percent bodyfat, 195 at a shade under 5'10. That was after 2 years of football in Highschool, 4 years of indoor and outdoor track sprinting 2 years of crew and 1 year of rugby in college. stopped working out and playing sports cold turkey junior year to work.

second semester I took off from school completely to work full time on a big case the firm I work for had. was working 70-80 hour weeks drinking with office friends every night and eating fast food probably twice a day while drinking half a fridge pack of coke, a pot of coffe and I would ocassionally smoke. I ended up at 220 or so and horriby out of shape. a pathetic 8 minute mile would almost kill me and I was probably about half as strong as I was though still strong compared to most people.

This year when I went back to school full time I through myself back into rugby and getting back into shape. I'd say I'm halfway back. It takes more time to undo the damage then to do it. This summer I'm getting all the way back to where I was and then some.

Started running three miles a day 4 days a week increasing the pace by .3 mph every other time. Lifting 3 days a week now though that will increase to 5 in a few weeks and running stairs in my 40 floor apartment building once a week and sprints on the football field once a week. Diet is also key. I carb load in the morning and eeat the last carbs of the day around lunch then I it's all protien based meals after that. Also I eat 5-6 smaller meals rather than 3 big ones, only give myself one cheat day a week to eat what I want and drink at least a gallon of water a day. Also I only go out drinking once a week now.

I'm at 200 now and I should stay about the same weight swapping about 10 lbs of fat for muscle if I train smart.

I am at a very unhealthy point right now. i don't eat enough....for a few different reasons, principally because I am alone and don't like to cook, so I can't spend all my money on quality foods outside, since doing that can get really expensive quickly. instead i eat smaller fast food items and substitute some meal replacement shakes. i end up getting like 1000 calories per day....which i know is unhealthy for a guy my size [right?] I'm just under 5'10. I don't really know since i've had limited nutritional lessons in my life and don't really consult this with anyone. i've had this pattern for about five weeks now, before that my patterns were similar but equally lacking in nutritional value. I do have some activity, though i feel seriously weakened and can't often bring myself to work out hard. that's the hardest most frustrating part, but also most troubling...

I am at a very unhealthy point right now. i don't eat enough....for a few different reasons, principally because I am alone and don't like to cook, so I can't spend all my money on quality foods outside, since doing that can get really expensive quickly. instead i eat smaller fast food items and substitute some meal replacement shakes. i end up getting like 1000 calories per day....which i know is unhealthy for a guy my size [right?] I'm just under 5'10. I don't really know since i've had limited nutritional lessons in my life and don't really consult this with anyone. i've had this pattern for about five weeks now, before that my patterns were similar but equally lacking in nutritional value. I do have some activity, though i feel seriously weakened and can't often bring myself to work out hard. that's the hardest most frustrating part, but also most troubling...

i'm gonna make a good guess saying that if you want to gain weight 2500 calories is prolly needed, and slowly increase your activity level...add maybe 30 mins / week every week. start by just walking...?

i did take a health class last semester, ....that's all my qualifications. hehe

I'd like to gain about 20lbs.... mostly muscle. i'll be biking again this summer, but i need upbody strength.

I'm trying to loose a few and get back in better shape. at the end of my sophmore year in college I was in the best shape of my life. I was a ripped, less than 7 percent bodyfat, 195 at a shade under 5'10. That was after 2 years of football in Highschool, 4 years of indoor and outdoor track sprinting 2 years of crew and 1 year of rugby in college. stopped working out and playing sports cold turkey junior year to work.

second semester I took off from school completely to work full time on a big case the firm I work for had. was working 70-80 hour weeks drinking with office friends every night and eating fast food probably twice a day while drinking half a fridge pack of coke, a pot of coffe and I would ocassionally smoke. I ended up at 220 or so and horriby out of shape. a pathetic 8 minute mile would almost kill me and I was probably about half as strong as I was though still strong compared to most people.

This year when I went back to school full time I through myself back into rugby and getting back into shape. I'd say I'm halfway back. It takes more time to undo the damage then to do it. This summer I'm getting all the way back to where I was and then some.

Started running three miles a day 4 days a week increasing the pace by .3 mph every other time. Lifting 3 days a week now though that will increase to 5 in a few weeks and running stairs in my 40 floor apartment building once a week and sprints on the football field once a week. Diet is also key. I carb load in the morning and eeat the last carbs of the day around lunch then I it's all protien based meals after that. Also I eat 5-6 smaller meals rather than 3 big ones, only give myself one cheat day a week to eat what I want and drink at least a gallon of water a day. Also I only go out drinking once a week now.

I'm at 200 now and I should stay about the same weight swapping about 10 lbs of fat for muscle if I train smart.

Man!

I could never pay that much attention. I just wing it - always have.

Well I'm not a guy but I need to lose a few too. I'm too tall to lose much weight or I start to look sick. If I could lose 15lbs. I'd be happy. I did lose 10-15 depending on the day by quitting Pepsi. I got hooked on Monster though. I sip it all day, it helps some with the hunger plus smoking too. The older I get the harder it is. Mike can lose 10 lbs in a week by skipping lunch everyday. He's always been skinny, drives me nuts. I was skinny until I hit 25 then my metabolism started to slow down. I'm allergic to exercise :AH-HA_wink: so walking isn't so much for me, I just need to watch my calorie intake a little better and I think I can shed the 15.

Artificial sweeteners are getting some anecdotal connections to slow metabolism. Coffee, on the other hand, has virtually no calories and the caffeine boosts your metabolism sky high. There's a reason a lot of people smoke while drinking coffee...the one-two punch revs your metabolism into high gear while simultaneously suppressing your appetite. In effect, you get to lose weight without feeling hungry.

Caffeine and nicotine are two of the major "food groups" for me. :AH-HA_wink:

I've just been introduced to Kamel Reds...mmmmm so good. Time to have one, now that I've downed another Amp.

Man I feel much better now. I'm not the only one who lives off Marlboros and Monster, or some combination of the energy drinks and stogeys. LOL

I plan to walk and swim alot this year...now that I have a house w/ a pool, I'm going to try and use it as much as I can.... and park at the edge of the parking lot at work so I have a long walk out and back to the car (we'll see how well that works when it's 120, though).

I plan to walk and swim alot this year...now that I have a house w/ a pool, I'm going to try and use it as much as I can.... and park at the edge of the parking lot at work so I have a long walk out and back to the car (we'll see how well that works when it's 120, though).

Yeah, but no humidity!

Hey guys, sorry that I got busy and didn't get to check in on this thread again. Glad to see people had a lot to say. Thank you for the well wishes and I wish all you guys and gmpartsgirl the best of luck in either gaining or losing weight. I just realized I am way to young to not be healthy, even though you should always try to be in your best health despite your age.

WW really has been easy for me and I don't see quiting it until im at a healthy weight again. I basically promotes eating healthy and on a regular schedule to keep your body completely satisfied so that it feels like it can shed a few pounds. I still get on average 1800 calories a day, which is more than enough to keep me happy. I am just sure to take my multivitamin, eat plenty of whole grains, a few servings of protein a day, lots of fruit and veges, and at least a gallon of water a day. As others have mentioned earlier, I think the walking and bike riding has been key to my success.

Man!

I could never pay that much attention. I just wing it - always have.

Many people underestimate what it takes to be a rugby player. Especially the forwards which I am. We do all the dirty work, maintain posession of the ball, run crash plays tackle the other big guys etc. The average forward runs 5 miles during a game but its all jog pause and sprint at random intervals with no recovery time. play doesn't stop unless there is a penalty, there are no time outs except for injury and a five minute break at half time to seperate the two 40 minute halfs. There are out of shape rugby teams but they are the ones who $h! the bed 30 min into the game when they are sucking wind. I'm a very good smart player but the people on my team are so fit that I can only last about 50-60 minutes running the game at their pace. Because of this I end up being a bench player coming in early second half as an impact player or injury replacment. Back when I was in awsome shape I was one of the people setting thepace for the team. I want my starting spot back.

Wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals.

A few pointers that I've found successful:

-Eat small portions about every two hours. This is great for your metabolism.

-When snacking, replace chips or sweets with healthy items. I usually go for low-salt almonds, fruit, or beef jerky when I need a fix.

-Don't go carb-free, go carb-smart. Look at what you're eating and ask yourself: do I need all this energy? If you're having pasta for dinner, ixnay the garlic bread, for example. If you're making sandwiches, focus on ingesting useful carbs provided by a 9- or 12- grain wheat bread...much less likely to convert to fat ala plain white or plain wheat. Lastly, change the quality of carbs you eat in the morning - try switching from Froot Loops to Grape-Nuts with berries. The key here is to up the quality of carbs you're ingesting...without sacrificing much of the full-stomach goodness they provide.

Like a few of said, exercise is key. Best way to lose body fat is either jogging at about 4.5 speed on the treadmill at a high incline for 30-45 mins, or doing sets of intervals. Simply running only burns calories, but will keep you healthy and from gaining weight. Keep in mind, when you lose weight, you lose both fat and muscle, so be sure pound the iron a bit to keep your form intact.

Hope any of these suggestions can help!