Drove an HHR SS Last Weekend

hyperv6

I got the chance to drive a HHR SS last weekend and I must say even with FWD it was very impressive.

First off the Turbo Enginer that has 260 HP with only 2 liters has little turbo lag and is a blast to drive. The no lift shift works as advertised and keep the boot up. The engine is smooth and quiet.

The torque steer is present but nowhere like you would expect and is well controled. It did not want to dive to the ditch but it sill has a little wonder due to the front tires fighting for control as the traction control does not kick in too soon.

Brakes were very good and these were not even the Brembo option.

The interior looks good color wise but is still a little cheap feeling in some areas. It is still acceptable and as good or bettert than many other cars in this price range.

The car is quiet and the only real noise is the sun roof deflector that it much louder than most other cars. The slant of the roof I think plays a big factor here.

Hnadleing and right are great. It soaks up the bumps well and is tossable like a Mini. I did not push it to the limits but in some spirited driving I found it to be a blast to drive.

The shifter is the best FWD shifter I have used from GM. It is still a little tight but is a big improvment over the past GM shifters.

I have been looking at getting a G8 truck or Camaro next year but if cas continues to climb I may have to revisit this vehicle. It is not the already fine run of the mill HHR. This thing can haul all I want to haul ands still give mix driving of near 25 MPG. The drive train in this shoulf be a blast in a Cobalt SS with less weight.

The styling upgrades has also get the HHR notice at lights. I saw many people checking it out. Styling is a love hate deal but more and more are accepting it.

With dealer discounts and my GM card points I may be able to buy a fully loaded one of these for at or just under $20K. THis vehicle is a bargin and the past few years sales will bear this out. I have spoken to 7 present owners and all have had trouble free miles and love their vehicle.

If anyone needs a usable vehicle that is practical, get good gas mileage but still fun to drive the HHR SS is a bargin and should be looked at.

I now have 3 GM vehicles to look at in 09 and now have to decide what one I will get as my daily driver. At this point with high gas prices low purchase price and the HHR utility the SS has made a stong case.

I too drove one a couple of weekends ago. My wife wants an HHR for around town, and out of the blue asked me to come to the Chevy dealer and drive one. They Had the Sunburst Orange SS auto on the lot so we took it out. Honestly-that is one HELL of a car! The ride was great, build quality was excellent, and it was quick! This is honestly the first FWD vehicle I have ever fallen in love with. We will be buying one when the lease on the Commander is up.

I drove it back to back with a 2LT and the ride and braking difference is night and day. The SS is more confident in all aspects of the drive. Only complaint: no heated seats option. The sport seats were great though. Much better than standard seats.

I too drove a Sunbust Orange SS and too noted it and the standard HHR are two totally different vehicles.

My two complaints are lack of heated seats but see that if they are not leather they are not offered. Also I would like to have a dash mounted rear hatch release.

But for the money and increase of the better MPG this car is a steal.

I too am very anti FWD but could live with this car very easily.

I will still check out the G8 truck but the HHR SS has won me over.

I like the HHR SS but get the G8 ST! Those will be sweet.

I like the G8 very much but I have to be realistic.

One gas prices are not going to go down and if they do they will not remain down fore long. With the V6 only going to get around 18 MPG city this is a sore spot. I will have to see the final fuel mileage. I am just looking for something I can drive to work and go to Lowes while still getting near 25 MPG. I am doing 20 MPG with a Sonoma now and would like to improve on that.

Two The G8 ST is a 2 seater and I have one 2 Seater in the family now so it would leave us one car we all can ride in. This Also has hindered my justification for a Solstice or Sky. More than two people in the family and 3 vehicles with only one able to transport the family is a pain at times.

Three I plan to replace the wifes GTP Comp G with a G8 when the time comes. Or it could be a Camaro later. Gas mileage is not an issue with her drive.

Four I get the G8 ST when they pick my name I sent in for the contest. Hey I got a 1 in 10,000 chance and that is better than the Ohio Lottery.

I love the G8 ST and it fits most of all my needs but one and that is the lack of being able to carry more than 2 people. That over rides gas prices and everything else I could even throw the MPG out if needed but the 2 seat thing is a problem.

My old GMC Sprint SP was a bucket seat with Sturp shifter and only two seats. that is good when you still in Collage. With Kids it is not so cool. Even my Sonoma will carry three in the Jump seat.

Yeah I really liked the one I drove, except for the interior color, I didn't care for the black and red. The all-black would be better. It seems that since the first round of deliveries to local dealers, though, they've disappeared from the lots, with no replacements. Seems odd.

I have also noticed the SS's disappear from the lots and not returning. I wonder if the axles and half shafts could be the reason.

All I know is I saw a Silver SS on e-bay the other day, and it was really good looking with the grey interior.

I would love to see GM take a hint from the Dodge boys and offer each SS model in a heritage color from the glory days of the SS nameplate: Hugger Orange, Butternut Yellow, Ermine white,Lemans Blue, Frost Green, Daytona Yellow, Rally Green, Cortez Silver...All of these in limited numbers with a special stripe package. You think they would sell??

And a butternut Yellow with black stripes (maybe put the SS stripes down at the base of the doors??) would be really cool with some re-pop 18" old school rally wheels and beauty rings!

• 2 months later...

The HHR SS is a great engine looking for a better home.

In the year this thing has been out, our Chevy store has fielded exactly 2 phonecalls inquring about availablility and sold 2 total.

It's another answer to a question noone asked---like the XUV or retro-hardtop 'vert pickup (SSR).

The HHR is a decent drive---better than the Cobalt it's based on (which brings up a whole bunch of other questions)---but I'd rather see an improved Cobalt with a DI 2.0/6 sp combo as it's base engine than an HHR SS.

Edited by enzl

Interesting. I've personally taken at least two or three customers who have inquired about this vehicle, but nobody is stocking them. Sometimes it is difficult to get through to thick management that you can't sell what you don't have. Recently, I managed to convince a man with a '01 PT Cruiser to take a HHR LS only because nobody had the SS for him to drive. I'll never know if he would have stepped up the extra few grand for the SS.

I'm having the same problem with the SS Cobalt. I've been working an internet customer for a YEAR (he wants the sedan which is not out yet) and now that he can order one, I will have to send him to another dealer to drive one. :hissyfit:

Interesting. I've personally taken at least two or three customers who have inquired about this vehicle, but nobody is stocking them. Sometimes it is difficult to get through to thick management that you can't sell what you don't have. Recently, I managed to convince a man with a '01 PT Cruiser to take a HHR LS only because nobody had the SS for him to drive. I'll never know if he would have stepped up the extra few grand for the SS.

I'm having the same problem with the SS Cobalt. I've been working an internet customer for a YEAR (he wants the sedan which is not out yet) and now that he can order one, I will have to send him to another dealer to drive one. :hissyfit:

You're right...it's a chicken/egg argument...as I said, we've sold 2, but had more in stock...I believe we swapped or outright sold the other HHR SS inventory to other dealers, so somebody is selling them. I'm not sure that GM is really emphasizing the HHR SS in marketing---and I can't remember seeing an ad for one outside of the auto rags. (and the same applies to the Cobalt SS---except that we've sold all of the units we had in stock ourselves)

To me, that 2.0 with DI and a 6 sp (man/auto) would boost the Cobalt immeasurably. Best in class Fuel Economy, simplification of manufacturing by eliminating the 2.2 vs. 2.4 choice & a chance to leapfrog the competition seem like compelling reasons to me...but what do I know?

The HHR SS is a great engine looking for a better home.

In the year this thing has been out, our Chevy store has fielded exactly 2 phonecalls inquring about availablility and sold 2 total.

It's another answer to a question noone asked---like the XUV or retro-hardtop 'vert pickup (SSR).

The HHR is a decent drive---better than the Cobalt it's based on (which brings up a whole bunch of other questions)---but I'd rather see an improved Cobalt with a DI 2.0/6 sp combo as it's base engine than an HHR SS.

HHR has the cargo and passenger space and friendly seating positions the cobalt lacks. you can justify the turbo upgrade price for more than just the engine. the cobalt is a small small car that has no benefit in packaging like the HHR has. The HHR SS and cobalt SS are both lookers on the outside.

i bemoan the lack of leather, heated seats, and an armrest. at these prices i expect that.

and these things would sell x2 if they had sync.

on my test drive.....i agreed with a lot of what hyperv had to say.

but here is some detail

the engine is smooth and not really boomy or noisy. it is not liquid glass smooth like any 6, but its not really behind any competitors 4. folks, for GM to produce a 4 with such a desirable performance in its cheaper models is amazing and new. the turbo did not spool up without lag, compared to the saab i drove recently, but its not a brutish engine either so its very easy to drive easy or stomp on it and have it go. no qualms about the motor.

the clutch was a tad heavy but fairly easy to get used to.

the shifter was the deal breaker for me. I missed several shifts, even while being obsessive about not missing them. its notchy and not buttery. The 5-4 downshift is a shift that should be like butter. Yet i was rebuffed several times. the shifter knob could stand to be more stylish than a saab leftover IMHO. its placement was right in your hand and yes indeed those throws are short! my they are.

i liked the sport seat but g0d damn, can i please get an armrest? fukn ay. must be the same assholes that left it off the asstra. fire the dip$h!s who do this, please.

rear seats are perfection for two adults.

i had heard complaints about visibility outside the vehicle on other sites but i think i acclimated to it fairly well. i thought considering the small windshield, the view was semi-panoramic. LOVED the LARGE sunroof....perfect size on this vehicle. ONe thing to note GM does not often at all get, the HHR had nice large mirrors. Even the Lambdas have puny mirrors so this is a huge plus.

I liked the rest of the dash and controls.....the cupholder locations, the shifter and parking brake, the radio and the dashtop storage bin. the dash bin i use a lot on the 500 and it becomes a neccessity when you get used to it. Plastics are chevy like.....but i didnt feel it overbearing due to the silver seat accents lightening up the interior. I want the red accents anyways. Power window swtiches are back where God intended them to be, on the door.

DId i mention this little trucklet is HOT LOOKING? Just about wet my pants when he pulled it out, it was all black and gleaming.

one thought. why cant chevy take a current gen 9-3 and just build the HHR on that? turbo and all? guess i want a sportcombi with leg room in the back, huh.

the steering was darned good with just a bit of numbness but not bad. I did like the steering wheel. Good size and nice to grip. The ride had some initial harshness that i did not like but i need to tell myself, duh, this is a performance vehicle. A little too much interior cabin noise, but again same thing. the engine sound is very nice, i don't mind that.

i think chevy could stand to drop the price about 2k across the board on this.

This is a very sweet little ride. I could enjoy this, but where is my fircking armrest dammit? and heated seats too please.

The 09 gets bluetooth and usb, right?

Edited by regfootball

Well IF all goes as planned I hope to have a 08 HHR SS in the garage Friday.

I don't know where anyone can say they are not selling as I have had a heck of a time finding a loaded one in red with the Ebony and red interior. They either are not loaded or one of thew odd colors. Most dealer do not have any and if they do they may have one or two at best.

The dealer my dealer is wanting to trade for is holding us up. I have already lost one as they sold it before we could get this. I am going 388 miles to get this one.

I was looking for the 09 but the price for the 08 was $6,500 off sticker with my GM car money. The only option I will lack is the roof rails and I did not want them any way.

The HHR SS is not the perfect car but none are at the price I am paying. But it is a useful vehicle that is a blast to drive. It will get good mileage and not cost me an arm and a leg to drive as a daily driver.

I was never really interested in a HHR or buying a FWD car but after one test drive I was interested and with the price I was sold.

I am trying to get an auto as the wife does not drive stick. THis one does get the arm rest with the performance seat. Also the parts are available and it is eady to add to the manual seat. The HHR web site list the part numbers and needed parts to make the edition.

I was going to wait the the USB, Bluetootth, and perfomance dash. But I was willing to skip per this price was good. Now if I only can get the dang car. The dealer is to call at 9 AM to say what they want in trade and a driver is to leave to pick it up asap.

Also I saw the 09 is getting a back up camera for what it is worth.

Well wish me luck as this is the 3rd HHR I have tried to get in two weeks and I hope the third time is a charm.

FYI I hope we will get back into RWD when we dump the wifes GTP and either go to a G8 or Camaro.

One more sleepless night. I hope! If not I will just order a 09 once the incentives hit them.

If I do get this I will give a long term review on how it holds up and my mileage and such.

Oh I do have one big gripe on this vehicle.

The dash sucks. It looks nice but it only has the DIC, speedo, tach, temp and fuel.

The speedo go in 20 MPH jumps and is somewhat small. The tach is even worse as it is smaller.

The one area this thing needs some major work is the dash panel and just imporve the tach and speedo if anything.

The perfromance dash for 09 has some extra things like Oil temps, g meter and other toys but it looks like a fuzz buster on the dash and you lose your storage unit on the dash.

Well IF all goes as planned I hope to have a 08 HHR SS in the garage Friday.

I don't know where anyone can say they are not selling as I have had a heck of a time finding a loaded one in red with the Ebony and red interior. They either are not loaded or one of thew odd colors. Most dealer do not have any and if they do they may have one or two at best.

The dealer my dealer is wanting to trade for is holding us up. I have already lost one as they sold it before we could get this. I am going 388 miles to get this one.

I was looking for the 09 but the price for the 08 was $6,500 off sticker with my GM car money. The only option I will lack is the roof rails and I did not want them any way.

The HHR SS is not the perfect car but none are at the price I am paying. But it is a useful vehicle that is a blast to drive. It will get good mileage and not cost me an arm and a leg to drive as a daily driver.

I was never really interested in a HHR or buying a FWD car but after one test drive I was interested and with the price I was sold.

I am trying to get an auto as the wife does not drive stick. THis one does get the arm rest with the performance seat. Also the parts are available and it is eady to add to the manual seat. The HHR web site list the part numbers and needed parts to make the edition.

I was going to wait the the USB, Bluetootth, and perfomance dash. But I was willing to skip per this price was good. Now if I only can get the dang car. The dealer is to call at 9 AM to say what they want in trade and a driver is to leave to pick it up asap.

Also I saw the 09 is getting a back up camera for what it is worth.

Well wish me luck as this is the 3rd HHR I have tried to get in two weeks and I hope the third time is a charm.

FYI I hope we will get back into RWD when we dump the wifes GTP and either go to a G8 or Camaro.

One more sleepless night. I hope! If not I will just order a 09 once the incentives hit them.

If I do get this I will give a long term review on how it holds up and my mileage and such.

good luck. red would be the color i want too. the info for me on the armrest is comforting. i also like you see the value in the big rebates. a lot of car for the money at that price.

At least it has a Temp Gauge... A luxury that ironically only 2/3 of our cars have...

My grip is nopt so much the lack of gauges but the size and they way they are numbered.

The one test drive I went on I dropped it into second gear at about 10 MPH and hammered it. I looked down as I threw it into third and noticed I was over 80 MPh The truth was I was over 95 MPH as it is numbered 20-40-60-80-100-120-140 MPH. So what normally looks like your just over 80 MPH is really 96 MPH.

I know I will get used to it but they should have been spending less time on making the dash fancy and make it so it is easy to read at a glance. The tack is small but at least is numbered in 1000 RPM jumps.

good luck. red would be the color i want too. the info for me on the armrest is comforting. i also like you see the value in the big rebates. a lot of car for the money at that price.

Thanks!

He found a all black interior I may go for if this one will not come through.

The rebates or 3.9% rate help. Also if you don't use a GM card you are missing a free $1000 off. We pay off the card monthly so this is free money.

Buying an 08 is not a bad deal as it did get the window buttons moved before the othert HHR's Those were the worst idea.

I will see if I can find the post and put it on here for the arm rest.

I think as people find out about the HHR SS this year it will take off. Few know about it as it was never really promoted [Go Figure GM would do that].

Well I will hopefuly know something in about 3 hours!

Man this is the hardest car I ever had to buy.

To get the colors and option I want has been a pain. The dealer in Jersey won't release the one he has as he think he might have a buyer and now I am 500 miles out in the heart of the south.

I am waiting to hear if the salesman can make a trade and bring it in.

I can find some black ones loaded but all other colors are not too easy to come by loaded.

At this point I am willing to get the roof rack I did not want just to get everything else I want.

Too bad I don't drink, I could use a shot of JD right now.

Well I may go to a black HHR. I can get one of these with no issue and it is availalble.

I love black when it is clean and I know better than to buy my third black car when I said after my first it was my last black car but I think I may take the plunge.

All the red 08's auto's are spoken for in a 500 mile area.

Had mine going on 4 months now. Seen very few in these parts before, or since.

Black on black SS, and bought it off the showroom floor...my favourite dealer had no idea when they were getting one in again, and wasn't one anywhere nearby that they could get in for cheaper than what I got mine for.

Love it..sips gas, goes like stink, and very versatile for our second car.

Will see what it drives like in winter up here, but getting winter shoes for it...don't want to damage the wheels or any undercarriage with the tight gaps on those wheels.

One issue that hasn't seemed to be solved on some people's SS's. Little to no power brakes on a cold (3h+) startup, unless you let the engine startup and idle until it drops below 1k rpm. (about 30 seconds).

Had this issue right away...the dealer did a reflash on the system, but hasn't solved the problem. Definately a safety hazard when pulling out or backup up on startup and having to hammer the brakes to bring it to a stop from a slow roll.

Anyways, enjoy and congrats!

On another topic, anyone have any info on how many HHR SS's were produced for the 2008 MY?

Edited by mr.nice

Well I am not yet a week in and I will be without my new ride for about 4 weeks.

I was on my way home from work Monday and has a Idiot [i think on a cell phone] turn left infront of me and stop in my lane. The witnesses behind him said he was over the yellow line and driving eratticly before he turned infront of me.

I swerved to the left to try to miss him and almost made the turn into the street when I hit the gravel and went straight off into a ditch and up an embankment.

I was lucky I went straight in and came to a erasy stop but the front airdam folded under and smashed the intercooler and ripped the front bumper cover up. The rear bmper also pulled away as it caust on the ditch. Then to add insult to no injury the airbag wnt off as I stopped. It cut and burned both arms. I was so slow when I stopped that The belts did not even make a mark and the air bag hit me not it.

But over all I have not gotten the final look from the dealer but I would say it is all bolt on damage infront of the HHR sub frame. Even the engine cradel looks to have not taken a hit. All the sheet metal, and doors look fine and even the hood and grill are good.

The body shop manager said he felt unless they find something hidden it should be just as I picked it up last Friday.

In the time I had it it was a dream to drive. It has as much power as our 04 GTP, Better ride and much better handleing. It has drawn crowd at some of the places I stopped. Including when I parked next to a new Challenger.

The only things I would change are the Speedo as the 20 MPH jumps and small lines make it harder to judge youe speed at a glance. This is important as I find I am 20 MPH over what I normally drive just by feel due to the better ride. Also I worry about the rockers as they are much larger than my GTP and you really have to step over them. They look great but I wonder if running boards may have been a better choice as I can see a passenger not used to this car hit it with theirt shoes on the paint.

I already am working to get a set of Steel Chevy ralley wheels from Wheel Vintquie wheels. I plan on painting them with black center and red lips with a ribbed trim ring. I will just toss on a set of Goodyear Triple Tred Assurance tires as they have done a great job yeare round on the GTP and have gottnen great wear.

Other than the guy who ran me off the road the the with the HHR was great!!! The SS should be repaired ok and back to me soon. I just with he got more than a ticket.

At least this way I can have them leave the place braket off this time on the front. The other was on before I got it.

Edited by hyperv6

The dealer said he can't get enough Cobalts and HHR's. He sells them as soon as they come in.

They traded a Avalanche to get mine in and were glad to lose the full size truck.

I can remember how many were condeming Lutz for the HHR and said it was too late. Hmmm looks like it was one GM product right on time.

For the money and what you get it is just what Chevy was for years a lot of car for less money. That is what a value leader should be.

Lutz has done this with the Malibu and I am sure the Cobalt replacment will be the same.

Lutz may over speak but he has over produced in getting GM cars right. Too bad he was not here 10 years sooner.

Well I am not yet a week in and I will be without my new ride for about 4 weeks.

I was on my way home from work Monday and has a Idiot [i think on a cell phone] turn left infront of me and stop in my lane. The witnesses behind him said he was over the yellow line and driving eratticly before he turned infront of me.

I swerved to the left to try to miss him and almost made the turn into the street when I hit the gravel and went straight off into a ditch and up an embankment.

I was lucky I went straight in and came to a erasy stop but the front airdam folded under and smashed the intercooler and ripped the front bumper cover up. The rear bmper also pulled away as it caust on the ditch. Then to add insult to no injury the airbag wnt off as I stopped. It cut and burned both arms. I was so slow when I stopped that The belts did not even make a mark and the air bag hit me not it.

But over all I have not gotten the final look from the dealer but I would say it is all bolt on damage infront of the HHR sub frame. Even the engine cradel looks to have not taken a hit. All the sheet metal, and doors look fine and even the hood and grill are good.

The body shop manager said he felt unless they find something hidden it should be just as I picked it up last Friday.

In the time I had it it was a dream to drive. It has as much power as our 04 GTP, Better ride and much better handleing. It has drawn crowd at some of the places I stopped. Including when I parked next to a new Challenger.

The only things I would change are the Speedo as the 20 MPH jumps and small lines make it harder to judge youe speed at a glance. This is important as I find I am 20 MPH over what I normally drive just by feel due to the better ride. Also I worry about the rockers as they are much larger than my GTP and you really have to step over them. They look great but I wonder if running boards may have been a better choice as I can see a passenger not used to this car hit it with theirt shoes on the paint.

I already am working to get a set of Steel Chevy ralley wheels from Wheel Vintquie wheels. I plan on painting them with black center and red lips with a ribbed trim ring. I will just toss on a set of Goodyear Tripple Tred Assurance tires as they have done a great job yeare round on the GTP and have gottnen great wear.

Other than the guy who ran me off the road the the with the HHR was great!!! The SS should be repaired ok and back to me soon. I just with he got more than a ticket.

At least this way I can have them leave the place braket off this time on the front. The other was on before I got it.

oh no! that sucks! hope you get your ride back soon!

Well I just got the estimate and it is $5,344.00. I was expecting more.

It turns out the damage was much less than it looked.

There is no sheet metal or Chassis damage. The rear bumper can be reattched with new mounts. The worst damage is the front bumper, Intercooler, Condenser and Radiator. The Radiator was not broke but dinged but they are replacing it.

The only non original paint will be the front bumper.

Almost $1,000 is the air bag and related parts.

They are only using new parts and anything with a ding is getting replaced evne the splash guards. I am please they will give me my truck back just as it was when I first got it.

I will be with out it for 3 weeks but as long as it is right it is worth the wait.

photo6cs9.jpg

photo6cs9.970e1671b6.jpg

Note the stop sign was missed by only a inch when I went by. At one point it was dead ahead and I though man this is going to hurt. The trooper noted how close the tire marks were.

fhoto2ur8.jpg

fhoto2ur8.6b91050043.jpg

Here is the day before.

dsc00346os7.jpg

dsc00346os7.aa70bd6675.jpg

dsc00337tb9.jpg

dsc00337tb9.c06e4987bb.jpg

I went where I had to go to save my skin and the idiot who stopped in the middle of the road during his left turn. If I had hit him I would have ated to see how bad both of us would have been. I would have gone right through his passneger door on a Mitsubisi. It may have killed him as those cars do not hold up well in side impacts.

The ditch and hill I hit was enought to stop me but not really hurt the car much.

I was so happy when I heard no mechanical or frame damage.

Oh and my burns, cuts and bruises are healing well. I was glad the only option I lacked on the SS is side air bags. If they went off they may have killed me.

It was just like in the movies.... The cars stops you think it is over and the bag hits you right in the face.

I can say the HHR is one damn tough truck/car or what ever you want to call it.

Edited by hyperv6

The HHR is now GM's most popular SUV, and third most popular truck after the Silverado and Sierra.

Excuse me. This is NOT an SUV. It's a mini wagon/family hatch just like the Volkswagen Golf or Chrysler PT Cruiser

Excuse me. This is NOT an SUV. It's a mini wagon/family hatch just like the Volkswagen Golf or Chrysler PT Cruiser

You had better say sorry as he is corect with the SUV statment as GM and Chrysler as both the HHR and PT are listed as SUV/Trucks. They both are register with the Goverment for the Boost in CAFE they gave to the Truck CAFE regs for both companies. Plus sell 100,000 plus more vehicles along the way.

The only one that is considered a car by either is the PT convertable.

They may be close to the Golf but they are offically in a different group by the MFG.

For what is is worth it is a car to me.

GOOD LORD hyper... why aren't you more... hyper about your brand spankin' new, awesome little wagon getting crunched? I would be devastated. I'd prolly have to go into a home for a few weeks until I got my sanity back.

Anyway, it's one HOT little beast. I hope it's back home soon.

GOOD LORD hyper... why aren't you more... hyper about your brand spankin' new, awesome little wagon getting crunched? I would be devastated. I'd prolly have to go into a home for a few weeks until I got my sanity back.

Anyway, it's one HOT little beast. I hope it's back home soon.

When my wife showed up with my 7 year old son and when it hit me I was going home and I was alive and with no broken bones. The way it turned out it was not really as bad as it could have been.

Also I did not think the HHR was hut too bad and now I have learned it is not that bad. Once it is all said and done the only non original paint will be the front bumper. When I found there was no unibody damsge or suspension I was thrilled.

When you walk away from a crash that was only a few feet left or right of possibly killing you cars are not that important. If you look at the top of the first picture behind that bush was a telephone pole, The stop sign I just missed to the left as was a larger ditch and gardrail. A little more left was his car sideways infront of me and to the left of him was a row of cars coming head on. I kind of threaded the needle next to the stop sign and to the left of the pole then hit a shollow part of the ditch. Also the hill stopped me as if it was not there who knows how far I would have gone. It was the best case for a bad situation.

I was a little down but now with the first estimate and no hassles from the isurance I am good. The dealer promised it will be just as I picked it up a week ago with all new GM parts and if it isn't they will fix it till it is. No sheetmetal was damaged and the worst was the intercooler and bumper

Anyway possible death puts things into perspective. I learned that from a bad crash about 22 years ago I was in. That one hurt for two weeks but I walked away and I still have that car yet today.

I looked at everything I could have done in this crash and what happened was the only one that was good and all the rest were worse. Thank God for my little skill and a lot of GM stability control.

Looking at the positive , now I can a bumper with no plate bracket bolted on. :D

Edited by hyperv6