April 2008 Sales: BMW Group

BMW Group Reports April Sales
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., May 1 /PRNewswire/
Link to Press Release

BMW Group (BMW and MINI combined) US sales up 9.6 percent in April.
Year-to-date sales are down 4 percent.

WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., May 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The BMW Group in the U.S.
(BMW and MINI combined) today reported April vehicle sales of 31,448, an
increase of 9.6 percent from the 28,692 vehicles sold in the same month of
2007. For the first four months of 2008, BMW Group sales are still down 4.0
percent, to 99,977 vehicles versus the 104,125 sold January through April
of 2007.

Among other factors, April sales results were positively affected by
new products all launched this spring (BMW M3, BMW X6, BMW 1 Series, MINI
Clubman).

BMW Brand Sales

BMW brand sales were up 5.6 percent, to 26,735 vehicles compared to
25,310 vehicles sold in April 2007. Year-to-date, BMW reported sales of
85,100 vehicles compared to the 92,670 reported in the same period a year
ago, a decline of 8.2 percent.

BMW Automobile Sales

Monthly sales of BMW brand automobiles increased 3.2 percent in April,
to 20,930 versus 20,290 in 2007. Year-to-date, BMW automobile sales are
down 6.7 percent to 67,083 versus 71,906 reported in the same period last
year.

BMW Sports Activity Vehicles

Sales of BMW Sports Activity Vehicles were up 15.6 percent for the
month, to 5,805 vehicles compared to the 5,020 reported in April 2007.
Year-to-date, BMW SAV sales are down 13.2 percent to 18,017 vehicles from
20,764 in 2007.

MINI Brand Sales

MINI USA reported a 39.4 percent increase in April sales, to 4,713 cars
compared to 3,382 cars sold in the same period a year ago. MINI USA also
reported sales of 14,877 for the first four months of 2008, an increase of
29.9 percent over the 11,455 sold in the same period a year ago.

Table: Sales BMW of North America, LLC, April 2008

April   April     %    YTD      YTD       %
                              2008    2007          2008     2007

BMW brand                26,735  25,310   5.6  85,100   92,670   -8.2

BMW passenger cars      20,930  20,290   3.2  67,083   71,906   -6.7

BMW light trucks (SAVs)  5,805   5,020  15.6  18,017   20,764  -13.2

MINI brand                4,713   3,382  39.4  14,877   11,455   29.9

TOTAL Group              31,448  28,692   9.6  99,977  104,125   -4.0

BMW Certified Pre-Owned

BMW Certified Pre-Owned

CPO sales were up 25.4 percent in April, to 9,237 over the 7,368
reported in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, the division reported
sales of 34,461 automobiles, an increase of 30.7 percent, compared to the
26,376 vehicles reported in the first four months of 2007.

BMW Group In America

BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since
1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003.
The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales,
and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles,
including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor
Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology
office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the
country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW
Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing
plant for all Z4 models, X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 Sport Activity
Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through
networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle
centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 82 MINI passenger car dealers, and
30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's
sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Information about BMW Group products is available to consumers via the
Internet at:

http://www.bmwgroupna.com
http://www.bmwusa.com
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com
http://www.miniusa.com
http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com

Sales BMW of North America, LLC, April 2008

YTD      YTD
                           April 08 April 07    %   April 08 April 07    %

1 Series                  1125        0            2621        0
    3 Series                11,401   13,142  -13.2%  38,414   46,335  -17.1%
    Z4 Roadster and Coupe    1,021      911   12.1%   2,680    2,817   -4.9%
    5 Series                 4,783    3,592   33.2%  15,673   14,720    6.5%
    6 Series                 1,006      802   25.4%   2,422    2,723  -11.1%
    7 Series                 1,594    1,843  -13.5%   5,273    5,311   -0.7%
    BMW passenger cars      20,930   20,290    3.2%  67,083   71,906   -6.7%
    X3                       1,777    2,307  -23.0%   5,967    8,981  -33.6%
    X5                       3,373    2,713   24.3%  11,395   11,783   -3.3%
    X6                         655        0             655        0
    BMW light trucks (SAVs)  5,805    5,020   15.6%  18,017   20,764  -13.2%
    BMW brand               26,735   25,310    5.6%  85,100   92,670   -8.2%
    Cooper Hardtop           3,083    2,716   13.5%  10,250    9,282   10.4%
    Cooper Convertible         651      666   -2.3%   1,880    2,173  -13.5%
    Cooper Clubman             979        0           2,747        0
    MINI brand               4,713    3,382   39.4%  14,877   11,455   29.9%
    TOTAL BMW of North
     America, LLC           31,448   28,692    9.6%  99,977  104,125   -4.0%

1-Series cannibalizing 3er sales, or are 3er sales just down because of the competition (CTS, C-Class, G35) being newer?

Probably being cannibalized......but that's something, I'm sure, BMW had counted on.......

3-Series gets a MCE in '09......so that will help.....

Didn't BMW and GM already cooperate on hybrid tech? With BMW (thankfully) remaining committed to RWD, and a staunch champion of the inline-6 engine, which GM division would receive the BMW engine? It would have to be Cadillac, because GM has totally pussied out on RWD, by and large, everywhere else (meaning Pontiac, I presume).

Didn't BMW and GM already cooperate on hybrid tech? With BMW (thankfully) remaining committed to RWD, and a staunch champion of the inline-6 engine, which GM division would receive the BMW engine? It would have to be Cadillac, because GM has totally pussied out on RWD, by and large, everywhere else (meaning Pontiac, I presume).

I thought that the deal was for BMW's V8?

Some FWD models are fun to drive...they aren't all generic transportation devices..

I drive a Mini. I was being sarcastic, hence the :AH-HA_wink: smiley

Edited by ZL-1

I thought that the deal was for BMW's V8?

Supposedly it is.

The inline 6 doesn't make sense on a whole bunch of levels...I could see alot of good coming from upgrading to the 5l BMW V8 in current North* applications.

Supposedly it is.

The inline 6 doesn't make sense on a whole bunch of levels...I could see alot of good coming from upgrading to the 5l BMW V8 in current North* applications.

It doesn't look like GM is going to have any need for the BMW V8 until either the CTS moves up in class (2010) or the DT7 or whatever they call it arrives. SRX is dead, STS is dead, XLR I suppose could use it though... still that's like 4k engines per year, not very much. BRX won't need it, BTS or whatever it is called won't need it. The super sedan that's rumored to be above DT7, which doesn't make much sense to me (3er=BTS, 5er=CTS, 7er=DT7) could also use it, but who knows when (if) that will ever happen. Anyways, what I'm getting at is maybe GM is trying to do some sort of partnership with BMW on the next-gen V8 for both companies, because it doesn't seem like Cadillac has much need for BMW V8s unless they plan on using them for a year or two in the SRX, STS, and XLR, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially sense those products don't sell very well.

Shoot, I wasn't even thinking of BMW's V8 in this transaction. Why would I, when GM has the best V8 engine in the world, the Chevrolet Smallblock?

That engine would be inapropriate for luxury cars, though.

It doesn't look like GM is going to have any need for the BMW V8 until either the CTS moves up in class (2010) or the DT7 or whatever they call it arrives. SRX is dead, STS is dead, XLR I suppose could use it though... still that's like 4k engines per year, not very much. BRX won't need it, BTS or whatever it is called won't need it. The super sedan that's rumored to be above DT7, which doesn't make much sense to me (3er=BTS, 5er=CTS, 7er=DT7) could also use it, but who knows when (if) that will ever happen. Anyways, what I'm getting at is maybe GM is trying to do some sort of partnership with BMW on the next-gen V8 for both companies, because it doesn't seem like Cadillac has much need for BMW V8s unless they plan on using them for a year or two in the SRX, STS, and XLR, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially sense those products don't sell very well.

The last part of your post is the reason I think it has a chance of being true...re-upping N* or adjusting the vette block for certain applications may simply not make sense...better to build (plenty of room in GM plants) & buy some of your production run from BMW, rather than developing or furthering a dead end in GM's family tree. Or it could simply have to do with the BMW V8 being developed with the two-mode RWD car application, thus allowing quick Caddy hybrids where the pricing isn't as much of an issue & getting a sweet BMW V8.

Edited by enzl

moltar, what? Cadillac's most powerful production car ever is powered by that engine. When it came to horsepower, the Northstar was put on the bench. And I'm willing to bet the Smallblock will get better fuel mileage in any application than the Northstar.

The last part of your post is the reason I think it has a chance of being true...re-upping N* or adjusting the vette block for certain applications may simply not make sense...better to build (plenty of room in GM plants) & buy some of your production run from BMW, rather than developing or furthering a dead end in GM's family tree. Or it could simply have to do with the BMW V8 being developed with the two-mode RWD car application, thus allowing quick Caddy hybrids where the pricing isn't as much of an issue & getting a sweet BMW V8.

The hybrid point is a good one. Perhaps already being in partnership with BMW on the 2-mode (I believe they are working on 4-mode now) hybrids probably gave BMW a reason to try to help GM out while GM helps BMW out. The cost of the 2- and 4-modes and new V8s can be split and developed much faster, most likely.

The Northstar is definitely out of date by now, and it's time for a completely new engine. I don't think luxury car buyers are going to be accepting of a small block, either. Too bad the UV8 program was apparently such a mess, but there's nothing wrong with developing engines with BMW.

moltar, what? Cadillac's most powerful production car ever is powered by that engine. When it came to horsepower, the Northstar was put on the bench. And I'm willing to bet the Smallblock will get better fuel mileage in any application than the Northstar.

True, but the CTS-v is really an anomaly...luxury car buyers in general expect a modern OHC engine in a luxury car. If GM is going to try and seriously compete in the big leagues for regular luxury cars, they need a modern OHC V8...

Shoot, I wasn't even thinking of BMW's V8 in this transaction. Why would I, when GM has the best V8 engine in the world, the Chevrolet Smallblock?

I've driven a hell of a lot of other manufacturer's V8 engines......and the BMW V8 is one of my absolute favorites. Revvy, yet torquey, and incredibly smooth and silent. GM's smallblock is great....but even the much-vaunted LS-variants can't match the bimmer V8 for luxury applications....it's simply way more mannerly.

If GM is going to try and seriously compete in the big leagues for regular luxury cars, they need a modern OHC V8...

Agreed....in a BIG way.....

And yeah....the inline 6s wouldn't work for packaging reasons among other things......but damn, what a great 6cyl engine, huh?

Agreed....in a BIG way.....

And yeah....the inline 6s wouldn't work for packaging reasons among other things......but damn, what a great 6cyl engine, huh?

Yes, I love their 6s....I miss my M3..

YTD BMW passenger car and SAV sales down... MINI sales up.

29/36 mpg *and* fun driving dynamics, anyone?

I think this is going to be our next car perhaps...I just LOVE this car in the same sort of way that I love old GM muscle cars...

Chris

I stopped by the local BMW dealer again today and a bit of drool ran down my chin as I took in the tiny, sexy, spunky 128.

BMW...there BAAACK. I haven't been as excited about a BMW since the E-30 M3 of the 1980's...

The one series is just awesome. First the Volvo C-30 and now this. Europe is building some great small cars!

Chris

With the potential of a BMW/GM engine deal in the works, I really would like to see more cooperation between BMW and GM to the point where BMW becomes a strategic partner of GM. Having my favorite two auto makers working together makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :smilewide:

It would be a cool partnership...but I think Oldsmoboi wouldn't be happy about it.

Chris