• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notable sightings today include:

-VW Eos.

-New Pontiac Vibe.

-A Chevette with missing wood paneling.

I've seen probably a dozen or so Eoses in the last couple of weeks...seem pretty popular in the Valley of the Sun.

I've seen probably a dozen or so Eoses in the last couple of weeks...seem pretty popular in the Valley of the Sun.

Shows how long since I've been there... last time I was there the "Hot" car in Scottsdale was the -2006 Sebring Convertible

Shows how long since I've been there... last time I was there the "Hot" car in Scottsdale was the -2006 Sebring Convertible

I've seen a bunch of the new Sebring convertibles also... in my office building's parking lot, there are a number of convertibles--a Miata, an Eos, 3 Merc SLs (one an AMG SL55), a 3-series, a Sebring, a '68 Camaro RS, a 2000 or so Mustang GT convertible, and 2 current style Mustang convertibles.

Went to the BMW dealership near me today. Saw quite a few 1-Series for the first time in the metal.

Quite honestly, for the price they command, I'd still rather get a 3.

It kinda depends what you are looking for. There seems to be about a $5K difference between comparably-equipped 1- and 3-Series coupes......the 3-Series sedan has a bit less of a difference.

C&D had a good point....if you don't want the twin-turbo power, you can upgrade from a 135i to a 328i Coupe for not much money at all. However, if what you want is the power in the lightest and smallest package, the 1-Series is worth it.

I priced two almost-fully-loaded coupes out (the way I'd order them)......and the 1-Series was MSRP $44,650, while the 3-Series was MSRP $49,025.....a difference of around $4,500....not insignificant.

I think the 3-er is a prettier coupe....but I also like the 1-er's "bulldog" looks and stance. Everything else, equipment-wise and powertrain-wise is identical. So I'd have to really want the prettier look of the 3-er to spend the almost-$5K more. (Since it's just me usually in the car, the lack of rear-seat and trunk roominess in the 1-er isn't a big deal at all to me.)

Or another way to look at it is.....if a convertible is desirable (and to me it is) you can have the 135i Convertible, similarly-equipped, for the price of the 3-Series Coupe. AND, the 1-series convertible does look better to me with the top up (and down) than the 1-series coupe. So there's another option........

It kinda depends what you are looking for. There seems to be about a $5K difference between comparably-equipped 1- and 3-Series coupes......the 3-Series sedan has a bit less of a difference.

C&D had a good point....if you don't want the twin-turbo power, you can upgrade from a 135i to a 328i Coupe for not much money at all. However, if what you want is the power in the lightest and smallest package, the 1-Series is worth it.

I priced two almost-fully-loaded coupes out (the way I'd order them)......and the 1-Series was MSRP $44,650, while the 3-Series was MSRP $49,025.....a difference of around $4,500....not insignificant.

I think the 3-er is a prettier coupe....but I also like the 1-er's "bulldog" looks and stance. Everything else, equipment-wise and powertrain-wise is identical. So I'd have to really want the prettier look of the 3-er to spend the almost-$5K more. (Since it's just me usually in the car, the lack of rear-seat and trunk roominess in the 1-er isn't a big deal at all to me.)

Or another way to look at it is.....if a convertible is desirable (and to me it is) you can have the 135i Convertible, similarly-equipped, for the price of the 3-Series Coupe. AND, the 1-series convertible does look better to me with the top up (and down) than the 1-series coupe. So there's another option........

I can't lie... I am more of a sedan person. But that's probably because I'm often driving several people around (or, since I'm a married man, several grocery bags). That's most likely the explanation.

Consider this, though... often, if you're in the market for a BMW and are not looking for the most basic model just so you can say that you have a BMW, a $5k difference becomes less significant.

New Benz C300 4Matic Sport black/black in my neighorhood just got it, also a new G35x. The people who bought the Benz have a 380SL, 2008 Silverado LT2 Z71 Ext. Cab 5.3L, 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, and 2002 Civic EX Coupe Auto, it is an odd bunch of vehicles. As for the G35x owner he has a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L, 2002 Yukon Denali, 2006 Mazda RX-8. Some people have way to much money.

Tiguans have hit the local VW lot. Two bright blue, one with tan, other with black cloth, and a sanitary white one with tan cloth. Very tight little SUV, I love it. But, like the promise of a low-priced BMW with the 1-series, the Tigs I saw today were $27k for a FWD, $29k for an AWD, and $30k for AWD with huge sunroof. Maybe I'm out of touch, but that is too much money for me.

Tiguans have hit the local VW lot. Two bright blue, one with tan, other with black cloth, and a sanitary white one with tan cloth. Very tight little SUV, I love it. But, like the promise of a low-priced BMW with the 1-series, the Tigs I saw today were $27k for a FWD, $29k for an AWD, and $30k for AWD with huge sunroof. Maybe I'm out of touch, but that is too much money for me.

Would you pay $30K for an AWD, sunroof'd Tiguan with the 2.0T.......or $28.5K for a comparably-equipped Equinox?

(I know which one I'd pick......and it's not the one with the Chinese pushrod V6..........)

O.C., you are right on with your lesson in perspective. MSRP on an old-style GM product is a myth, however. The Tigger will sell very close to MSRP, I predict. When you're a single-income household living on just under $50k/yr, you have to be realistic in your vehicle dreams. I'd love to have a TDI Tigger AWD with manual transmission, I bet I'd get 40-42 mpg, but I don't see that happening.

O.C., you are right on with your lesson in perspective. MSRP on an old-style GM product is a myth, however. The Tigger will sell very close to MSRP, I predict. When you're a single-income household living on just under $50k/yr, you have to be realistic in your vehicle dreams. I'd love to have a TDI Tigger AWD with manual transmission, I bet I'd get 40-42 mpg, but I don't see that happening.

"Tigger?"

:lol:

You are right......(mostly....we can assume, don't know if Tiggers will need to be discounted at all or not)......that typically you can get far greater discounts and rebates on many GM products than you can many other products.

Coming out of the office today, I saw a met. orange 350Z roadster parked nose-to-nose w/ a black Sky. At the end of the parking lot, was a dark gray 911 GT3 (with rollcage)....opposite it was a silver CLS 55 AMG. In traffic, I saw a black CLS 55 AMG and a black SL 65 AMG. Damn, I love working in Scottsdale...so many hellacool cars...

This morning while waiting at the end of a metered freeway ramp--in front of me was a car with the AZ personalized plate 'IMPALA'. Guess what kind of car it was...NOT a Chevy, most surprising.

...it was an early '70s FJ Land Cruiser...must have been an Africa reference (since Land Cruisers and Impalas (the bird) are known to inhabit the Savanna..

Edited by moltar

I just saw a yellow '90s Roadmaster w/o a vinyl top go past on the 101 freeway that is visible outside my office conference room window...cool. There is a white Roadmaster and a white '94-96 Caprice ex-cop car in my company parking lot also..

update: A white '70-72 Cutlass coupe just went by on the 101...sitting here w/ my laptop w/ a good view of the freeway.

Edited by moltar

Three people in my 'hood got new 2007-2008 Silverado's in the past week. Not to mention one of those owners also get a new Suburban LTZ... I have been happy with the choices neighbors have been making lately and there is only two new Camry's in the area by far more new Impala's.

Nissan Altima Hybrid... in Alexandria, VA. Strange, considering they don't sell them in DC, MD, or VA. Perhaps someone traveled up north to buy it?

Could be... I drove from NY to DC last week and the trip was quicker than I expected. I noticed several Altima Hybrid taxis up north in NYC. There were tons of Escape Hybrids, some Camry Hybrids, some Highlander Hybrids, and one RX400h. Didn't see any VUE or AURA Green Lines.

Edited by empowah

A convoy of red Ford hot rods on the highway: '33 3-window followed by a '32 Vicky followed by a '56 F-100.

Also a '70 Super Bee and a '69 Chevelle SS. Both in immaculate condition.

Finally, a blue Astra 3-door at the local dealer. The best color I've seen on the car. Last week it was parked in the "sold" spot inside the showroom. Yesterday evening, it was back outside on the line with the rest of the unsold Astras. And they're still tacking on a $300 wax job and $125 tape stripes as ADM on all their Astras. Shameful on a car that is clearly not moving.

About a million Prius, including several first-gens.

Also just about any 60's model Chevy, Ford or Dodge you can imagine at any of the dozens of classic car dealers along I-44. Most looked to be in terrible shape.